JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Value of Suffering

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death? In what ways are we likely to suffer? Does suffering have any value? What happens when we live in such a way to avoid all suffering.

God's grace to us led Christ to His death, Jesus did not come into the world to gain status or political power, but to suffer and die so that we could have eternal life

It is difficult for us to identify with Christ's servant attutude ,maybe we need to evaluate our own motives. Are we more interested in power or participation, domination or service, getting or giving.

Jesus perfect obedience (which led Him down the road of suffering) demonstrates that He was the complete sacrifice for us.

Jesus was rejected, He was cursed by many, Some did not believe Him to be the Son of God,

Our suffering can make us more sensitive servants of God. People who have known pain are able to reach out with compassion to others who hurt. If you have suffered, ask God how your experience can be used to help others .Jesus Christ was humble, willing to give up His rights in order to obey God, Like Christ, we should have a servant's attitude.

Death on a cross was the form of capital punishment that Romans used for notorious crimals. It was excruciating painful and humilating. Prisoners were nailed or tied to a cross and left to die. Death might not come for several days, and it usually came by suffocation when the weight of the weakened body made breathing more and more difficult. Jesus died as one who was cursed (Galatians 3: 13 ) How amazing that the perfect man should die this most shamed death so that we would not have to face eternal punishment.

We will suffer at times in many various ways, physical, verbal, sexual abuse. At times rejections, emotional hurts, words spoken in judgement against us, persecution for just being a Christian. Temptation towards the wordly things due to peer pressure. to fit it with the crowd.

By denying self laying our life and our rights down at the foot of the cross, humbling our selves, letting go of pride.Our reward will be eternal life. As Pastor Ralph has said Christianity is no fair-weather game, but a serious commitment to die to flesh for Christ, if need be.

Picking up our cross daily and dying to self is my desire. When we live in such a way to avoid all suffering we will never grow into a mature Christian to be usful for the kingdom of God or others. We are to be an example of Christ. We must walk in His footsteps and try to be more like Him as Paul said " That I may decrease and Christ increas in me."

Jesus suffered during His life and death in the following ways;

i) He was ostracized by His own family for His desire to be 'about His father's work'

ii) He was grief stricken at the lack of faith of the Jewish people.

iii) He was discounted by His hometown neighbours.

iv) He was grieved at the death of a friend, Lazarus.

v) He suffered physical abuse at the hands of those who claimed to know God.

vi) He suffered deeply in His soul when separated and rejected by His heavenly father.

How are we likely to suffer?

i) Perhaps rejection and ridicule

ii) In some cultures we may suffer physical abuse and perhaps even death for our faith in Jesus Christ.

Does suffering have value?

I suppose it does but I'd rather not have to. I need to give this a bit more thought. I'm not so sure God means for us to suffer unnecessarily.

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death?

Jesus suffered rejection. He was beaten, bruised, beard pulled, nailed to a tree, his side was pierce with a sword and given vinegar to drink. In reality Jesus suffer more than we can ever imagine, because He took upon himself the punishment of the sins of man (incomprehensible).

In what ways are we likely to suffer?

We too will be rejected and persecuted for his name sake.

Does suffering have any value?

Our suffering will bring glory to God as we walk in obedience to His Word and humility.

What happens when we live in such a way to avoid all suffering?

When we live in such a way to avoid all suffering we give into the flesh and dishonors God. Jesus told us that we will suffer, and to avoid the suffering is to avoid walking in the will of Father.

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death? In what ways are we likely to suffer? Does suffering have any value? What happens when we live in such a way to avoid all suffering?

I believe Jesus suffered during His life on earth each time He witnessed the sins of idolators; the hearts and minds of those not listening to His messages; felt the persecution of non-believers; the agony of betrayal. While dying on the Cross, the physical agonies he felt are unspeakable, and as well, He knew He was totally separated from His Father while He bore our sins - a spiritual suffering. The two values of suffering, in my opinion are: 1) it brings us into total reliance on God to bear us up and through it, and 2) there are many lessons to be learned through suffering, and as Christians, suffering puts us in touch with Christ's love and His willingness to suffer death on the Cross for us. To attempt to live without suffering would mean an attempt to be self-sufficient and in this state one would leave no room for Christ in their lives. There would then be no commitment to Him either -- a fast walk towards condemnation and away from eternal life in Heaven with our Creator.

Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins so we wouldn't have to face eternal dead.

Dead on the cross ( crucifixion) was the form of capital punishment that Romans used for notorious crimals. Our Lord Christ was mocked.

Jesus did not come into the world to gain status or political power, but to suffer and die so that we could have eternal life , that is to bring many into glory.

We should be ready also to suffer like Christ. We have to stand for Him so that we inherit eternal life.

If we avoid suffering we will not be walking to His will, and we will disobeying His word.

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death? In what ways are we likely to suffer? Does suffering have any value? What happens when we live in such a way to avoid all suffering?

Jesus suffered hundreds of ways. First His family had to go to Egypt to escape king Herod. Secondly, from the very beginning of His ministry He was not accepted in His home town. People simply couldn't believe He was the Son of God, even though all the evidence (if anyone cared toook) made it clear. This meant He could not minister to those people.

The customs of Jerusalem made Him weep. Behaviour in the temple made Him furious. His dicsiples found it very difficult to understand His teachings at times and missed the point completely. They had no idea what He was going through on the passover night before he was captured, so He prayed without their support. He knew exactly who He was, and throughout His ministry had to teach His disciples how to accept His death and resurrection. They didn't "get" it until Pentecost. So, one of the most difficult things He sufered was being misunderstood. No-one was up to it! Then He suffered as a man anticipating all the pain of whipping and crucifixion. He knew exactly, from the scriptures, what he was to suffer, and could have put a stop to it so very easily. In fact I think it was very hard for Him not to stop it, as the very soldiers who apprehended Him fell right down whenH e mentined His Name! Effecively He had to release them to capture Him. So He had to deliberately permit them to whip and crucify Him. However, this didn't stop Him fearing what they were going to do and the pain therof. Nevertheless, at theFather's will He suffered all of it - even to death.

We are made in His image, so we are likely to suffer likewise, if not in so great an extreme! We will suffer the mockery of unbelief, the treachery of the traitor (turncoat) in relationships, maybe even torture or physical death for the sake of faith. Through all of it, like Him, we are to keep our eyes on the Glory set before us and endure to THE END!

If we live to avoid all suffering we are living for pleasure only. Love and loyalty for Jesus means that we will remain faithful to Him regardless of cost. We will experience taunts etc for being "wowser" or straight-laced. Maybe at a later time we will be "punished" for our adherence to theChristian faith. We need to be greatly in love with our precious Jesus to deal with this faithfully.t We need the same powerful faith to deliver any answers to the young ones! """" If, perchance, it is all toomuch and we avoin suffering fitting one inthe Melbourne holy Stree

In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death?

Isa. 53: 3-11 say's it all; I could not express it any better, let the word define it for us!

3 He was despised and rejected by men,

a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.

Like one from whom men hide their faces

he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he took up our infirmities

and carried our sorrows,

yet we considered him stricken by God,

smitten by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,

he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,

and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,

each of us has turned to his own way;

and the LORD has laid on him

the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,

yet he did not open his mouth;

he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,

and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,

so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression [a] and judgment he was taken away.

And who can speak of his descendants?

For he was cut off from the land of the living;

for the transgression of my people he was stricken.

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,

and with the rich in his death,

though he had done no violence,

nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,

and though the LORD makes [c] his life a guilt offering,

he will see his offspring and prolong his days,

and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,

he will see the light of life [d] and be satisfied [e] ;

by his knowledge [f] my righteous servant will justify many,

and he will bear their iniquities.

If you reread the above again and put your self in His place, you will see that in many ways you have suffered in the same ways. For this is why He came, to bore all we would face in life and to get man back into the will of the Heavenly Father.

Again, let the word speak for itself and let us find wisdom in this as Christ did. For this is what we are to prefect in ourselves as He did with working love towards our Heavenly Father and our brethren just as He has, while suffering for others and by others we strive to grow in love and strive to stay in love with our Heavenly Father and our brethren while we are suffering in the things of life and by the things of the devil. The one thing we have to defeat is blame and anger at the sufferings of this life and at the sufferings of anger, accusations, and envy of others. Finger pointing towards God and man brings the many sins of life, we must strive to love and this is what this scripture is saying to us and Christ understood.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

That we have this hope and promise and the greatest reward and that's being in the Heavenly Father's will, serving our Lord Christ.

Col.3:24

knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

Jesus suffered rejection, humiliation, temptation, hunger, homelessness, as well as physical pain in order to identify completely with our suffering - we also suffer in order to learn compassion and dependence on Him - I don't see how we can avoid suffering but if we live trying to, we not only miss learning compassion and dependence, but we live in bondage to the fears Jesus died to free us from

I know in my own experience, the most memorable lessons I have learned are when I have suffered to the point that I realized only God could bring me through - it's strengthened my dependence on Him and kept me close to Him as well as softened my heart toward others who suffer

Suffering is always uncomfortable and painful while we are going through it, but God is not concerned so much with our comfort as He is with our relationship with Him and with others - sometimes I think He allows us to suffer to get our attention back to Him and to keep us from the "drifting away" that we mentioned earlier

During His life time Our Lord suffered from the verbal abuse and threats made by those whom He intended His message to be received by. And, in His passion, He suffered extreme physical pain, mental anguish. The final blow would have been that moment of rejection by His Father, when He turned His back on the Lord as Jesus took upon Himself the sin of the whole world then and now.

Suffering in the US seems limited to rejection of the true doctrine of the Word, turning to idolatry and away from God and, increasing wickedness. Christians, by the Holy Spirit, will suffer in their hearts in witness to this denial of Our Lord and God. In other lands, such as China and the Sudan, Christians do suffer great physical and mental pain at the hands of heretics who rule over them.

Suffering is necessary in order for us to be refined, made pure. The more we suffer, the more that we can relate to Jesus, the more we become like Him.

To avoid suffering is not only cowardly but, harmful to our spiritual growth. Those who do not suffer are stunted Christians at best.

Q1. (Hebrews 2:9) In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death?

The ways Jesus suffered during his life and death:

At birth the King tried to have him killed. He experienced rejection by his own people, blasphemous accusations, mocked by the Pharisees, deceitful questioning, entrapment, defection by many disciples, ridicule, betrayal, abandonment, he was forsaken, arrested and bound, denied, they spit in his face, beat him, he was treated with contempt, stripped of his clothes and made to wear a scarlet robe, they placed a crown of thorns on his head and a reed in his right hand, they bowed their knees to him to mock him and call him the King of the Jews,

He was pierced for our Transgressions, Crushed for our Iniquities, Oppressed and Afflicted, lead like a Lamb to Slaughter, judged and falsely accused. He suffered temptation and great agony as he prayed in the Garden of Gethsemane. Then he was cruxified. For six hours on the cross bearing the sins of the world. Jesus was made perfect through his suffering.

Jesus was stricken, smitten, afflicted, wounded,bruised, chastised, endured stripes, oppressed, led to the slaughter, cut off from the land of the living - cf. Isa 53:4-8

We are to suffer much persecution for our beliefs.

JOHN 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

JOHN 15:21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

Yes, suffering does offer value. We too can learn obedience through our suffering.

Matthew 5:10Blessed [are] they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

5:11 Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Suffering builds Christian Character, without it we can't become mature and complete instead we will be lacking in our understanding.

He suffered in all the ways that we suffer in life going with out food at times, not having a place to stay. Traveling in bad weather across a lake. being beaten and flogged. Had thorns palced on His Head, having a sword pierce His side, being nailed to the tree and having his last breathe drained from Him from the pressure of hanging there on the cross.

We suffer in the daily routine of our lives, the bad and the good sometimes cause us pain and we have to indure it. We suffer in seeing our loved ones die and get diseases that take away our health and being to take care of ourselves. We suffer in being uable to afford the necessary things that we need to support our families.

I don't think it has a value other than amking us stronger and more thankful for what we do have, Making us stronger in the faith and more dependant on Him for our lives.

If we could live and avoid all suffering then we would not have a knowledge of needing God to be our strength and Helper. We would never need to call on Him to guide us in the decisions that we have to make when times get hard and there doesn't seem to be any way out. When we get the feeling we have lost our last friend we would not have known we could turn to the Lord who is closer than a brother.

Since Jesus was a human with the same feelings in his body as we have, he suffered pain just as we do, physically, mentally and psychologically and emotionally....However, since he was also God, his suffering which was sacrificial for our benefit, and not for just me, for the WHOLE world's sins. The depth and magnitude of His suffering the sins of all the world is beyond my grasp, but I am positive it was way beyond normal human suffering, for He was a Just, Pure, Holy God who could not bear to look on sin as God...and as a man, his total being was crushed with this undeserved pain.

The Bible says He learned obedience through his suffering, and likewise, suffering in our lives also teaches us to obey Him and man's laws also. Our suffering is often due to disobedience or carelessness, but in James 1: 1,2 it reminds us to rejoice in our suffering for we will learn patience and perseverance in the process....this is the GOOD God promises His people who love him and are called according to his purposes. We will suffer just as Jesus did through others and their wrong attitudes and words and actions in our lives... or our own sinful sowing. The Bible says we will share in His sufferings just as we shall share in His glory, so it is all part of His will and way for our lives.

If there is a person who has NOT SUFFERED, I wonder if he is human....but I do know one of the reasons for our sufferings is so we can relate, comfort, and understand others who are also suffering with the compassion Jesus has for our suffering for He also suffered and understands ours....smile If your life is without much suffering, you are probably spoiled and selfish and unfeeling of others who suffer...and cannot relate with them well....like one who is rich cannot understand the pain of not having enough to eat or being very poor

Jesus suffered during his life physically, mentally and emotionally as any man committed to serving God suffers in a sinful world. We are likely to suffer the same way

Jesus suffered during his life physically, mentally and emotionally as any man committed to serving God suffers in a sinful world. We are likely to suffer the same way

Jesus suffered with the emotional and physical pain of saving each and every one of us from our sins..He went through more then we could ever imagine.We are likely to suffer but giving up things we love in our sinful ways to serve the Lord in the ways that are right.Jesus walked many miles(probably with blisters oon his feet) he spoke in large groups with people persecuting him and laughing at him trying to humiliate him, all for us. Jesus spent many days and hours in fasing and prayer for us. We will all be asked to do the same. One day we will have to find ways to minister with the threat of death and persecution but we must give our life to save people.if we do not suffer then we are not giving up our sinful ways and we are not giving our life to Christ.

Jesus suffered in rejection...in people's lack of faith in Him..in watching suffering. In being tortured on the way to the cross..

On the cross..Crying to the Father.."My God, My God. why has thou forsaken me.

Suffering has great value in the molding of oneself..in Jesus case the suffering was for our salvation.

In avoiding suffering, we will avoid growth in our Christian walk. We will avoid becoming like HIM.

Jesus went through a lot during his life on earth and His death. He suffered at the hand of oTHERS, He was denied, betrayed, and false accused. All this happen when he was healing the sick, performing miracles and even raiseing the dead. It seem like the compassion that was shown by Him to others, none of thes would have happen. As we know all of this had to happen according to the word of God. Suffering do have value. We look at Jesus' suffering; He now rules in the heaven. He was crown with glory and honor, but jesus had to go through in order for this to happen. We may TRY to live in a way to avoid suffering but we don't grow nor mature. In this life we are going to suffer at one point or another. Remember when Jesus said, "Father if it be thy will let this cup pass fron me." In the flesh He did not wish to go thru but in the spirit He knew He had to. In order to receive the eternal reward we have to suffer. JESUS DID AND HE DID IT FOR YOU AND I.

In all points Jesus suffer, He suffered from the rejection of the peoples, their lack of faith, betrayed, and false accused. Jesus suffer tortured on the way to the cross and on the cross. Jesus also suffered physically, mentally and emotionally. We suffer in the same way, we also suffer because of our faith. I believe that no one can live in this world without suffering and to try to do this you are fooling yourself and living in falsehood. No one can esape some form of suffering. :(

Jesus suffered by all the ways man could think of. It was scriptual and it was Gods will for him to suffer but when I think of 'ways' he suffered, I see man's ways. If I sat here and listed mentally, physically and spiritually how Jesus suffered, I would tally up all the ways nature inflicts pain on one another and ourselves. Verse 9 states 'But we see Jesus who was made low'... And so I comprehend that to mean Jesus was made to suffer so that man could 'see' Him suffer, in hopes that it would touch a mans heart. To watch and feel his pain.

How sad it is to hear of all the murders taking place in our nation today. I think of hardened hearts and those who suffer from it. The innocent. Unsaved children have literally crucified one another and left body parts in refrigerators! Humans have left bodies lying in the bottom of river beds, on the ocean floor and in dumpsters. They kill their children! A few of the ways we suffer today as we 'see' these things happen.

We suffer from loss. We suffer from death. Selfishly we suffer when we think we deserve something that we dont. We suffer when we have lifted ourselves up and our ego gets damaged. We suffer when we are without. We suffer when we are sick. We suffer because we think we should suffer. We suffer mostly from ourselves and mostly when we dont pray.

Suffering's value is what unsaved is to the Cross. Pain is very parrallel to gain! Without suffering, our limbs would never get pruned and we would never produce new crops. Our vines would get thick and smother out new growth. Therfore our crops would eventually die. It resembles a chopped off limb for a season and a full harvest the next-- a natural picture, a natural scene. Has anyone ever seen a frozen flower in the winter but because it had underground warmth and a bulb, it came back in the spring? (like a tulip) Some have to be plucked up and kept away from the elements, in a frozen state, or in hibernation. All its air and all its soil and all its fertilizer was withdrawn from it! All the life taken from it. And it may have suffered a season but it made the 'Best Show' the following spring! Then therfore, a testimony is produced. Just the way suffering's value brings about Christ's Wholeness and Radiance, and Brilliance and Glorious Light and God reveals a portion of His glory!

When we live in a way to shut out suffering, we live in a false world and are disillusioned. Suffering is mandatory. One could barricade himself off from living with others but he would surely suffer from lonliness. Unless of course he chose a false hope.

Romans 5:3 Not only so, but we[c] also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Jesus in His life suffered being misunderstood, rejection and horrible physical suffering as He gave His life for us.

We are likely to suffer similar things He suffered. Some of us, even to death.

The purifying effect suffering has for us makes it very valuable. Having experienced suffering we are able to help others who are going through suffering too.

If we run from suffering, we are running from a deeper relationship with God. We are running from spiritual maturity and a chance to be a powerful witness.

Jesus suffered in many ways through his life and death.He suffered as he was rejected by the religious leaders of the day .they saw Him as a threat to their stabilityand sought ways to shut him and his followers up. T hey were afraid of losing their position and influence. Jesus was misunderstood and alienated from the society in which he lived. He was tempted as we are tempted,he was persecuted for his teachings and actions ,he was betrayed, and finally crucified,but throughsuffering he learnt obedience . None of us like to suffer,but sometimes it is the only way that we can learn and come into a deeper relationship with Jesus.

He faced rejection especially from those who hold important positions in the society. He just lived an obedience life. He becomes a good friend to the rejected, marginalised, the downtrodden, even to the unfriendly and to the enemies. Because He had done all the good things for the sake of others he has to suffer. His suffering is for our good. If Jesus don't endure till the end, then, we'll not be saved and still awaits with groaning for a redeemer.

Christian life is not smooth. we are called to suffer by denying our very self. Jesus instructed us that we should love our enemy. If we win in that then everything else is possible. To stand for Jesus is what matter most.

Yes, it does.

To live a life free from suffering mean that we are not ready to become a real follower of Jesus Christ. Our journey as Christians should be both on good as well as bad weather. We can not just follow Christ during sunshine days, we need too to follow Him even during rainy days.

I love the way Ms CJ put it all using the Word

Thank you so much for this

In what ways did Jesus suffer during his life and death?

Isa. 53: 3-11 say's it all; I could not express it any better, let the word define it for us!

3 He was despised and rejected by men,

a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.

Like one from whom men hide their faces

he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he took up our infirmities

and carried our sorrows,

yet we considered him stricken by God,

smitten by him, and afflicted.

5 But he was pierced for our transgressions,

he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was upon him,

and by his wounds we are healed.

6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray,

each of us has turned to his own way;

and the LORD has laid on him

the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,

yet he did not open his mouth;

he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,

and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,

so he did not open his mouth.

8 By oppression [a] and judgment he was taken away.

And who can speak of his descendants?

For he was cut off from the land of the living;

for the transgression of my people he was stricken.

9 He was assigned a grave with the wicked,

and with the rich in his death,

though he had done no violence,

nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,

and though the LORD makes [c] his life a guilt offering,

he will see his offspring and prolong his days,

and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

11 After the suffering of his soul,

he will see the light of life [d] and be satisfied [e] ;

by his knowledge [f] my righteous servant will justify many,

and he will bear their iniquities.

If you reread the above again and put your self in His place, you will see that in many ways you have suffered in the same ways. For this is why He came, to bore all we would face in life and to get man back into the will of the Heavenly Father.

Again, let the word speak for itself and let us find wisdom in this as Christ did. For this is what we are to prefect in ourselves as He did with working love towards our Heavenly Father and our brethren just as He has, while suffering for others and by others we strive to grow in love and strive to stay in love with our Heavenly Father and our brethren while we are suffering in the things of life and by the things of the devil. The one thing we have to defeat is blame and anger at the sufferings of this life and at the sufferings of anger, accusations, and envy of others. Finger pointing towards God and man brings the many sins of life, we must strive to love and this is what this scripture is saying to us and Christ understood.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

That we have this hope and promise and the greatest reward and that's being in the Heavenly Father's will, serving our Lord Christ.

Col.3:24

knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.