JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Sharing Our Weakness and Temptations

Q2. (Hebrews 4:15) In what ways did Jesus share our weaknesses? In what ways was Jesus' tempted? Because we know he didn't sin, were his temptations easier or more difficult than ours? Do we have any temptations he didn't have? Why does it comfort us that he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Hebrews 4:15) In what ways did Jesus share our weaknesses?

Our weaknesses include being tempted by Satan. Jesus share our weaknesses as He too was tempted by Satan. His disposition being an example that we should follow. Though He was tempted, he yielded not, but in all that the devil used to tempt him Jesus stood firm on, and use the Word of God to overcome Satan. This is our template, when tempted, we too should stand firm and use God's Word against Satan and not yield to temptation. We too will be overcomers.

In what ways was Jesus' tempted?

Jesus was tempted in the wilderness just after having fasted for forty days and night. Satan thought he could entice Jesus with material things, but Jesus did not yield to the temptation. Again, in the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus was in agony as he struggled heading towards the cross, to bear the sins of the world. Jesus struggled against the cross, but in the end He went the way of the Father's Will.

Because we know he didn't sin, were his temptations easier or more difficult than ours?

In my opinion, Jesus' temptations were more difficult than ours becaus of who He is and the power that he could have called upon to prevent these, yet He allowed himself to face them as a human being.

Do we have any temptations he didn't have?

No, we don't. The temptations that Jesus faced we face today, Satan tempts us with material possessions, he tempts us to disobey the Father's will, he tempts us with the pleasures of this world, as something to be desired. But thanks to the power that worketh in us we can overcome just as Jesus did.

Why does it comfort us that he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses?

We are comforted that he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses because as our intercessor with the Father, Jesus knows what we are facing and can pray that we receive strength, comfort, power and God's favor in such circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus shared our weaknesses by having physical limitations put on himself as we do. He felt the temptations we face and having to make a decision not to be pulled in by the temptation.

Jesus was tempted, we know, by Satan during those 40 days & nights. He was tempted at the cross, but in both decided not to fall prey to the temptation.

I believe, because He did not sin, His temptations were stronger than ours. He, as Man, overcame the temptations.

Today we don't have different temptations--they all fall under the categories of self-gratification through our eyes, taste, desires, pride of life.

It comforts me to know He is thoroughly aware of what we are going through and is there to not only sympathize, but to give us over-coming power!!

Q2. (Hebrews 4:15) In what ways did Jesus share our weaknesses? In what ways was Jesus' tempted? Because we know he didn't sin, were his temptations easier or more difficult than ours? Do we have any temptations he didn't have? Why does it comfort us that he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses?

Jesus is like us because He experienced a full range of temptations throughout His life as a human being. He went into the wilderness for 40 days and 40 nights which I am sure He knew what hunger was. He was tempted by Satan but would not given in, that was when the angels came and ministered to Him so we know He was weary and probably weak in body. He sweat drops of blood in the garden, yet He said to God "your will not mine." He hung on the cross for us. I would say His temptations were much more difficult." We have not suffered unto death."

We can be comforted knowing that Jesus faced these temptations---But He did not succomb to them.

He can sympathize with us.because of where He has been, therefore He is our intermedary, He goes to the Father on our behalf. We can be encouraged knowing that Jesus faced temptation without giving into sin. He shows us that we do not have to sin when facing the seductive lure of temptation. Jesus is the only perfect human being who has ever lived.

We may suffer for many reasons, Some suffering is the direct result of our own sin; some happens because of our foolishness; and some is the result of living in a fallen world. Christ never sinned, and yet He suffered so that we could be set free. When we follow Christ's example and live for others, we too may suffer. Our goal should be to face suffering as Jesus did with patience, calmness, and confidence that God is in control of the future.

Christ died for our sins, in our place, so we would not have to suffer the punishment we deserve, This is called substitutionary atonement. A changed life speaks loudly and clearly, and it is often the most effective way to influence people. Suffering at times will bring maturity if we allow it.

Jesus was fully human, meaning that

1. Pain was a terrible prospect to Him to be avoided, but not at all costs.

2. He was well able (as are we all in our weakness) to perceive the temptations to evil, although He recognised them immediately for the disgusting things they were and would have no part of them.

He was tempted to:

(1) use miraculous powers for His own benefit (turn stones into bread),

(2) perform miraculous feats to gain people's attention (jump off the tower),

(3) satisfy Himself with ownership of territory by deferring to satan (it was His territory anyway!).

(4) Avoid the essential and terrifying physical pain involved in completing His Father's plan by calling down armies of angels to His aid before the crucifixion.

3. His temptations were more difficult than ours because his understanding of what He faced was much more complete, and His ability to take an alternate path was very much greater.

4. He lived a normal human life in which he faced all the temptations common to man, with victory. He may not have personally faced, for example, the temptation to have an abortion, but He certainly faced the temptation to abort the Father's purpose for his life, namely crucifixion, so He has overcome the abortion principle!

5. For this reason we can be comforted that He perceives and understands all we go through, and also that we can be victorious! We have not a Judge without mercy, but rather a Hero Who has conquered, and builds us up to do likewise!

Jesus Shares in our weaknesses and temptations because in going to the cross he took on our humanity with all its weaknesses and imperfections. As we are tempted to sin so Jesus was also tempted, when he was in the widerness Satan tried to tempt him from His mission by offering Him worldly enticements.but Jesus was not to be disuaded bythese attempts. By this Jesus understands the frailty and fragility of us. Jesus struggled in His flesh to go to the cross,but submitted to the will of the Father for the good of mankind and our Eternal destiny.

Jesus Shares in our weaknesses and temptations because in going to the cross he took on our humanity with all its weaknesses and imperfections. As we are tempted to sin so Jesus was also tempted, when he was in the widerness Satan tried to tempt him from His mission by offering Him worldly enticements.but Jesus was not to be disuaded bythese attempts. By this Jesus understands the frailty and fragility of us. Jesus struggled in His flesh to go to the cross,but submitted to the will of the Father for the good of mankind and our Eternal destiny.

Scripture says but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are that to me means that Jesus faced every temptation that anyone could face.

He was tempted in every way, He had your temptations and mine everyone that has been or every will be faced by a man has been delt with by Jesus for us and he alone can out of it sin less.

His temptations were greater than our, He delt with everyone's not just the ones I go through but every other sin any man can come against.

We face only minor temptations when compared to Christ so ther e is no way we can have any He has not over come. Tempted in every way means just that there were none that He did not over come on our behalf.

It comforts us in that knowing Jesus over came those temptations I may also learn to over come them with His help and strength. I need just remember that my sin were paid for not just the first but also the last. Praise and Glory to God the Father for His forgivness and mercy, I don't have to worry about failure because Jesus has paid the full price and I am free of all burden as long as I remember to confess those weaknesses to Him and ask for forgiveness in His name then I remain in His shadow and the forgiveness is assured.

Incarnated, the Lord was just as we, able to experience all that we do, good and bad, as flesh and blood. These same qualities would have allowed Jesus to possess the same desires, or lusts of the flesh as we. His was tempted in all ways, just like you and me.

Our savior did not sin not because He suffered less than we (how many of us could walk in the Negev desert for 40 days and nights without food and water AND resist the devil?). He resisted sin because He is all power and stronger than we.

Again, His temptations would have been just as ours are and it is comforting to know that Jesus can be our Mediator to the Father with full knowledge of our infirmities, since He Himself suffered them. In other words, the Lord has been there and done that and pleads our cause with the compassion of experience.

Jesus shared our weaknesses in that, when He came to the world He was like us, He experienced a full range of temptations throughout His life as a human being.

When we write the temptation Jesus faced, Am sure the list is endless. Just from the time He was Baptized, the devil tempted Him and there is no where in the Bible we read that Jesus gave in to Sin. He was Victorous throughout all temptations.

We can be comforted knowing that Jesus faced temptation- He can sympathize with us. We can be encouraged knowing that Jesus faced temptation without giving in to sin. He shows us that we do not have to sin when facing the seductive lure of temptation.

Jesus came to earth to have a common experience with man. He felt our emotions and experienced the same temptations we have had. He felt our joys and also shed tears as we do. During his 40 days in the wilderness, Satan tried tempting Jesus to accept Satan's help and give in to Satan's power. The fact that Jesus was dealing head on with Satan would make one think these temptations were more difficult than ours, but Jesus did not waiver from His obedience to God and had full power over Satan. Those of us who do not yet know that this same power is ours by the grace of God, would have a more difficult time with temptations. There is nothing we go through in our lives that Jesus didn't also go through. We are comforted in knowing Christ has already been where we are, by His own choice, for our sake, and He totally understands us. When we fully comprehend what God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit has done for us, out of immeasurable love, one of our favorite hymns could be "What a Friend we have in Jesus". Thank you Lord.

Jesus was human, so He knew what pain was, He felt the same pain from a fall that we do, He knew that it was something that had to be avoided as much as possible. He knew what they were and He knew that He couldn't be a part to them.

He was tempted by the same things we are today. He was tempted by hunger (turning stones to bread after He had gone so long without food), to be the center of attention (jumping from the higerst tower), greed (to claim ownership of land by deferring to satan), to avoid pain as much as possible (by calling down the angels from heaven to aid Him before His crucifixion

I thank that His temptations were much more difficult than ours are because of HIs understanding of what He had to face was more complete than what we see. I also know that He had a greater ability to withstand pain than we mortal man does.

No I don't believe that we have temptations that He didn't have. We are faced with the same things He was. He lived a completely normal human life in which he faced all the temptations common to man, but He overcame them and gained victory over them.

Because He knows what we face each and every day and He knows that, if we fail we are only human and that we are the way God the Father made us. He understand what we go through each and everyday and He knows that we can be victorious as long as we have Him on our side. He knows that God is a God of mercy, not a God of justice.

Jesus being in a human body was subject to all the temptations humanity is subject. All temptations stem from the pride of life; the **** of the flesh and the **** of the eyes (1 JN 2:15-17). Jesus was tempted in all threee of these realms, i.e. see Matt. 4. Jesus temptations were no easiler than ours. Probably even greater because He was the messiah and had the power to do whatever He wanted to do.

It is comforting for me to know that Jesus was tempted and overcame all temptations as a model and a help for me. It's comforting to know that Jesus knows the walk of the human being and is sympathetic to our weaknesses in this flesh, in this satanic world order. It is comforting to know that Jesus is pulling for us and that really reinforces a connection and relationship between Christians and God Almighty.

Jesus shared our weakness in the fact that he was completely human, he had the needs that we all have; the need for food, drink, clothing, and most of all companionship. The mistaken temptor though, thought that Jesus could not or would not seperate the need from the desire. Christ's desire was only to do the will of the Father and in that point Jesus was much stronger than we are. Temptations are much easier to overcome when a person is completely focused on one goal.

The first two things that Satan tried to do was get Jesus to doubt that he was truly the Son of God. I think it is kind of funny how Jesus handled the two requests, "If you are". If Jesus had given proof by turning the rocks into bread or by jumping off a cliff then He would have become a subject of Satan. But he didn't, he rebuked the temptor with God's word. Then Satan tried to bribe him with an offer which none would refuse today. The world I offer you, and he refused that offer.

As Paul points out, if it were not for being completly focused upon the prize, he could not have dealt with poverty, sickness, loneliness, and imprisonment. Today we believe that these things are avoided when we believe, and Christ told us just the opposite. Funny how things change. If we are weak then that indicates that we need to focus much more on the goal. I know I need to.

Darrell

In what ways did Jesus share our weaknesses?

He has shared the weaknesses of human nature. He knows what it's like to be tempted. "Weaknesses" (NIV, NRSV) or "infirmities" (KJV) is astheneia, "incapacity for something or experience of limitation, weakness."

Jesus' forty days of testing in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11) included Satan's "enticement to improper behavior." In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus fought his own recoil from bearing sin on the cross.

Because we know he didn't sin, were his temptations easier or more difficult than ours?

"Sympathize" (NIV, NRSV), "be touched with the feelings of" (KJV) is sumpatheō (from which we get our word "sympathy"), "'having the same pathos' and hence 'sharing the same experience, suffering,' and then 'having fellow feeling.'"5 Vincent observes, "This is more than knowledge of human infirmity. It is feeling it by reason of a common experience with men."6

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are -- yet was without sin."

Why does it comfort us that he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses?

Because he has shared the weaknesses of human nature. He knows what it's like to be tempted. "Weaknesses" (NIV, NRSV) or "infirmities" (KJV) is astheneia, "incapacity for something or experience of limitation, weakness."7 Part of that "weakness" is the ability to be tempted, to be tested. Jesus entered fully into our experience of temptation. "Tempted" (NIV, KJV) or "tested" (NRSV) (peirazō) means "to endeavor to discover the nature or character of something by testing, try, make trial of, put to the test." Also "to entice to improper behavior, tempt."8

The point is that Jesus' experience was both like ours and unlike our own:

When Jesus became man in flesh, He was tempted. Humans are weak and try to discover things by putting them to the test. Sometimes we have to see first hand before we believe. Jesus already knew the outcome as He did not sin but was tried and tested on the cross. There is not one thing that tempts us that Jesus has not faced himself. He knows our weaknesses and temptations and gave us The Word to guide us. We just need to study and find our answers in it through prayer and the Holy Spirit.

Scripture explains that all attractions of this world fit into three categories; **** of the flesh, **** of the eyes, and the pride of life. [1John 2.16] Jesus was tempted by satan in these three areas and He successfully passed the tests.

We will pass the test and not succumb to these temptations by following Jesus's example, quoting the Word of God to rebuke satan and his plans to thwart us of track.

Q2. (Hebrews 4:15)

In what ways did Jesus share our weaknesses?

He was tempted in all things like man

He was tempted when Satan took him up to the holy city in the temple and ask Him to throw himself down, when he again took him up the the high mountain and show Jesus all the kingdom that could be his

Because we know he didn't sin, were his temptations easier or more difficult than ours? More difficult

Do we have any temptations he didn't have? No

There is a saying, "who feels it knows it" Jesus Felt and Knows every thing firs hand - knows what will happen to us before we even knows

Jesus shared our weaknesses in a way that, as human like us, he had incapacity for something or experience of limitation; he also had ability to be tempted; he entered fully into our experience of temptation.

Jesus was tempted in a way that he was persuade to improper behavior. For example, he was tempted to love the world raher than the Word of God (case: forty days of testing in the wliderness). He was tempted to recoil to suffering (case: in the Garden of Gethsemanehis, recoiling from bearing sin on the cross)

He didn't sin not caused that his temptations were easier than us. His temptation were more difficult than ours.

No, we don't have any temptations he didn't have.

That he can sympathize with our temptations and weaknesses comforts us because when we are tempted we can feel what we experience by his human feeling, and he will give us his mercy and help based on that his human feeling not his divine feeling.

Jesus shared the weaknesses of man because of the ability to be tested he entered fully into our experience. He entered into the suffering to understand the vulnerablity of man through weakness and temptations.

The 40 days in the wilderness where he was tempted by satan and in the Garden of Gethsemane where he was in agony because of what he was about to endure.

I believe because he remained sinless his temptations were greater than ours because he defeated sin through his sufferings, but many were simular to ours.

Jesus suffered all temptations known to man.

Because he fully understands the plight of mankind through temptations and weaknesses. He has experienced the weaknesses of human nature and he remained sinless showing us that it can be done.

Jesus share our weakness by taking on human nature. Jesus was tempted in every way that we are, Jesus tempatation was just like our. We have every temptation that Jesus had, in some country believers are temped with their faith whether to live for Jesus or to be put to death. It comfort us to know that we can go to Him in prayer about our weakness and temptations because He experience them all and He can lead us and help us.

He shared in our weakness by become human and He was tempted in many ways but without sin,while we do sin and at times fall short of the Glory of God.Jesus was tempted in the fourty days and fourty nights that He was in the desert after He was baptized and when He was the in the Garden of Gethsamane before he was to be betrayed by Judas.I think his temptations were harder cause He was without sin and He had to be a certain way or else i dont think we would be here right now,He had to be a role model and our only Savior and that was a blessing and i think a curse at the same time.I dont think he or we have had any differences in the temptations it is all the same.IT comforts us that He is there cause He understands what kinds of temptations that we go through but He is not going to give us something that we cannot bear.

• 2 weeks later...

He experienced the same weaknesses that we have and He was tempted as we are.

He was tempted to turn rocks into bread when He felt hunger. He was tempted to run when the soldiers came for him.

He had the same temptations that we face today, but I believe more and stronger temptations.

No we don

He shared our weaknesses as a human being. He was tempted during the 40 days of testing in the wilderness and at the Garden of Gethsemane.

I don't know that the temptations would be easier or more difficult - I do know that he's the only one who's ever passed the test. I don't think the temptations are different.

It is comforting that he can sympathize because we know he understands our weaknesses.