JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Hebrews 5:8) In what sense did Jesus "learn obedience from what he suffered"?

Jesus' "learn obedience from what he suffered" was his compliance to the Father's will.

How did Jesus' learning process differ from ours, since he didn't sin and suffer the consequences of his sin -- the way we usually learn?

Jesus' learning process differs from ours in that He complied with the Father's will, though sinless he suffered death for the sins of the world; whereas it is because of our experience of sin that we learn obedience.

Jesus learned obedience from what He suffered--by always seeking to obey God's will for Him and the results of His obedience as a Man.

Since Jesus did not sin as we do--we sin, suffer the consequences of our sin & learn not to do it anymore. Jesus sought God's will only for His life and knew what those consequences would have been if He had sinned.

Q4. (Hebrews 5:8) In what sense did Jesus "learn obedience from what he suffered"? How did Jesus' learning process differ from ours, since he didn't sin and suffer the consequences of his sin -- the way we usually learn?

By submitting to the will of God an not complaing or murmuring. have you ever felt that God didn't hear your prayers? Be sure you are praying with reverent submission. willing to do what God wants. God responds to His obedient children.

Jesus' human life was not a script that He passively followed. It was a life that He chose freely, (John 10:17, 18 ) .It was a continuous process of making the will of God the Father His own. Jesus chose to obey, even though obedience led to suffering and death. Because Jesus obeyed perfectly, even under great trial. He can help us to obey, no matter how difficult obedience seems to be.

Christ was always morally perfect. By obeying, He demonstrated His perfection to us, not to God or to Himself. In the Bible perfection usually means completeness or maturity. By sharing our experience of suffering, Christ shared our human experience completely. He is now able to offer eternal salvation to those who will obey in submission to the will of God.

Submission in obedience to God in the midst of the trials and will to pay the consequences ( price ) is how we grow and mature to become more like Christ in our attitudes and love towards the unsaved.

Pastor Ralph, Jesus faced and endured suffering throughout his whole life , up unto the time of his crucifixion as he stood against the religious leaders of the day. He learnt obedience through the sufferings he bore,as the Fathers will became his will. We learn obedience as we journey through lifethrough the decisions we make and the cosequences we must face if we disobey.

Q4. (Hebrews 5:8) In what sense did Jesus "learn obedience from what he suffered"? How did Jesus' learning process differ from ours, since he didn't sin and suffer the consequences of his sin -- the way we usually learn?

He learn through the experience of going through the suffering, the same way we must learn from our mistakes. Jesus fore knew the things that He had to go through but had never done it before so therefore He had to learn it. The experience was there although He had the fore knowledge.

His learning process differed from our in that we don't know what lays ahead or what we will have to endure, Jesus on the other hand did. He knew what He was going to have to face before it accured, but slill He allowed Himself to suffer for us so that He would be our High Priest with the knowledge of what it means to suffer. He suffered under our sin for He had none of His own that we might come to be sinless before the Father and children of the Most High God.

When one suffers for God we are crucifying the flesh. As we stay the course, through the pain, we grow and are obedient. It is called experience which is what Jesus gained.

The difference in Jesus' suffering as to ours is that He is a holy God and the stench of sin is an abomination to Him. It makes Him sick to His stomach. I can't imagine the pain of having to live in this world and then taking all of our sins upon Himself. We on the other hand seem to tolerate sin quite nicely. A huge difference indeed.

In both cases Jesus learned about the human suffering that often comes with obeidience to God.

He didn't need to learn to obey God the Father, as so often we do by learning the results of sinfull action. But He did experience, first hand and personally, what personal suffering often results when we obey God the Father in a sin saturated world. As did so many of the prophets in the old testament and the apostles in the new. He learned what human suffering felt like by Personal experience.

As Jesus progressed through His life on earth,He was in a continuous pattern of making God's will His own. He obeyed God from the moment He was born and through His sufferings on earth, He learned that suffering for God's sake was a part of His obedience. Jesus' learning process was different from ours because He was and is "the Son of God". He was willing to suffer in order to obey His Father, and His obedience kept Him Holy and free from sin. His willingness and deep love, to suffer for our sins, has given us our salvation. Jesus learned through His own Holiness, while we learn through our (forgiven) sins. What a Friend we have!

Christ learned obedience from what He suffered in that, He voluntarilly laid aside His divine rights and privileges out of Love for His Father's will to be done.

Jesus learnig process differ from ours in that, His human life was not a script that He passively followed. It was a life that He chose freely. It was a continuous process of making the will of God the Father His own. Jesus chose to obey, even though obedience led to suffering and death.

We, we normal rush into things and any small trial we blame God.

Jesus had to suffer to be obedient to the Father. It was God's will that Jesus die on the cross and Jesus wanted what the Father wanted and was made perfect.He did not question the instructions of His Father. The consequence for being obedient was death, without sin, thus gaining favor in wisdom and stature with God as He set out to do in the beginning, without reservations. Just to obey! He wanted what God wanted and became like Him.

From day one to His crucifixion Jesus, in following His Fathers will, suffered.

We learn through our sin we have to suffer the consequences of our sins either now or later. We learn obedience through this to keep to the Fathers will in our own walk.

As they say 'it's only classed as failure if you don't get back up and keep going'

Jesus' agony and suffering in Gethsemane and on the cross displayed His obedience to God the Father. He learned to trust in His Father's will through suffering and was made perfect by it. Thus becoming the source of eternal salvation for all humanity. Through suffering He became a blessing for all. Through suffering He could sympathize with human beings to become our High Priest.

There is no difference in the learning process between us and Jesus. Jesus was the model. We grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus through carrying out the will of God in our lives. Whether it entails suffering (to whatever degree depends upon God's purpose for our lives), or not. However, suffering is a normal part of the human experience and leads to tremenous individual growth as well as love, empathy and compassion for others.

Q4. (Hebrews 5:8)

In what sense did Jesus "learn obedience from what he suffered"?

He had to suffer to be obedient to the Father because it was the will of God for him in order for His death, burial and resurrection to be perfected for us

How did Jesus' learning process differ from ours, since he didn't sin and suffer the consequences of his sin -- the way we usually learn?

His learning process differed from our in that He knew what He was going to have to face before it occurred, but yet He allowed Himself to suffer for us so that He would be our High Priest with the knowledge of what it means to suffer. He was always in compliance with his father

Jesus “learn obedience from what he suffered” in a sense that in his obedience to God he did not avoid sufferings which are God's will for him to have, but he walked the path of sufferings. Sufferings were an integral part of his obedience.

Jesus's learning process is first he set out from the start on the path of obedience to God and then to keep in obedience he did a continuous and progressive making God' will his own although he had to suffer in consequences of it. Our learning process is that we often learn by bearing the consequences of our disobidiences.

I think it was Issac Newton who said for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction, when applied to physics. The same can be said when applied to life. When we are obdient we lose but someone else gains, equal and opposite. I don't know if Jesus struggled with learning this as much as accepting it. I think he knew but also saw how much good he was doing while here. For him it was a matter of just how much glory he could bring to God. "Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will, not mine." (Luke 22:42 NLT)

24 Then Jesus said to the disciples, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life. 26 And how do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul in the process? Is anything worth more than your soul? 27 For I, the Son of Man, will come in the glory of my Father with his angels and will judge all people according to their deeds. 28 And I assure you that some of you standing here right now will not die before you see me, the Son of Man, coming in my Kingdom."

I don't know; Have we learned? I know I still hold on to some selfish ambitions, though not as many as I used to have. Equal and opposite. To give is to gain, but the gain will not come till later and that is not what we expect, is it?

Darrell

Q4. (Hebrews 5:8) In what sense did Jesus "learn obedience from what he suffered"?

"[Luke] means that by a progressive process he showed by his obedience to the Father's will a continuous making of God's will his own, reaching its climax in his approach to death."

:rolleyes:

For Jesus, sufferings were an integral part of his obedience. By obeying God, suffering came as a consequence.

Jesus chose to obey His Father will. All that His Father plan from the beginning for us even death on the cross. Jesus was in full complete submission to His Father will.

In what sense did Jesus "learn obedience from what he suffered"?

He too walks the path of obedience in suffering.

"Learn" (manthanō) means here, "to come to a realization, with implication of taking place less through instruction than through experience or practice, learn appropriate to oneself."33 Luke records, "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men" (Luke 2:52), describing Jesus' process of learning.

I see the action that was taking by God in sending Jesus for mankind as this;

When a child is born right from the start the parent starts teaching and guiding in the way the child should go. The child starts to walk the parent takes the child by the hand. It comes time for the child to go to school and starts to need help in doing his or her homework the parent is preparing to set down with the child and help with the instruction of the teacher so it learns and starts to apply it in their life if needed.

I see that this is what our Heavenly Father has done for us, and if we apply His word to our lives then there won't be a need for alot of sufferings, but if there are times we don't or miss it, we can know that Christ bore the sin for us and that there is grace and mercy waiting on us like a parent that waits with open arms for their child.

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus learned obedience from what He suffered through chosing to obey the will of the Father.

Jesus' learning process differed from ours in that He walked the path of obedience.

Christ suffered as man, what He learned from this suffering brought Him to a complete understanding of physical pain, emotional pain, and the pain felt as He experienced the various painful siturations mankind is faced with. His obedience to the Father included suffering, even His suffering on the cross, the suffering He felt as the Father turned from Him when He became sin, and died, bringing God's mercy and grace to mankind.

Jesus came as a suffering servant, making Him our perfect High Priest. It is because of what He learned, experienced, through His obedience, that He can speak on our behalf, and the Father will listen.

Jesus did not sin, but He did learn first hand how lost mankind is because of the consequences sin brings, and the suffering of mankind as they are separated from the Father's mercy and grace, separated from His presence.

Jesus had the Holy Spirit to help Him overcome, showing the importance for mankind to be filled with the Holy Spirit. Yes, it was worth it all for Jesus to suffer, to be our Faithful High Priest, for mankind is in need of this love. Mankind is in need of the power of the Holy Spirit.

I believe that Jesus did suffer the consequences of sin. Sin separates us from God and Jesus was separated from God when He was born in a human body. He suffered temptation, but he overcame temptation. He didn

• 4 weeks later...

Our Lord Jesus was already perfect in His humanity as well as in His being God The Son, but He learned perfect obedience to God His Father from all the passion and sufferings He went through during His whole life; but particularly in the Garden of Gethsemane where He learned to be perfectly and completely submitted to His Father