JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Patient Endurance

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective? How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

• 5 weeks later...

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective?

If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, our Christian life will be that of accepting God at his word and diligently but patiently persevering to the end.

How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

As we run the race with patience we do so knowing that we seek the eternal life that is ours through the redemption of Jesus. It is because of Christ's atonement and the grace of God that we have salvation and can look forward to an eternal life with Him.

• 2 weeks later...
Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective? How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

Hope keeps the Christian from becoming lazy or feeling bored. Like an athlete, train hard and run well, remembering the reward that lies ahead. ( Philippians 3:14 ).

It is easy to get discouraged thinking that God has forgotten us, But God is never unjust, He never forgets or overlooks our hard work for Him Presently you may not be receiving rewards and acclaim, but God knows your efforts of love and ministery, Let God's love for you and His intimate knowledge of your service for Him bolster you as you face disappointment and rejection here on earth.

We can resist the temptation by staying in the word. By trusting that God has all things under His control. Remembering what Christ has done for us on the cross. and that God's grace will see us through all things. Remembering we are saved more and more each day by His grace. There is nothing in our selves that can make it through the day with out God's grace. and mercy, and love.

If we exercise faith & patience on a daily/minute by minute basis, we will truly grow to maturity.

Our perspective changes to God's perspective--we learn to love the things/people God loves, and to hate what He hates.

It is a delicate balance, but if we do these things daily because of our love & hunger for God, it is a result of our desire to grow closer to Him--a fruit of pursuing this relationship with God, knowing that in ourselves we are nothing/have nothing but what God gives us in grace. Praise Him!!

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life?

We will strive to please God by living according to the Word and giving all glory to Him in everything.

On our perspective?

Our perspective will be one of basing everything we do in life on our goal of eternal life with God. This will bring joy.

How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

We can study the Word and remind ourselves that there would be no salavation if Christ had not died on the cross. No matter how much we endure, we cannot save ourselves. ;)

If we were to take this seriously, and who wouldn't, our diligence and our obedience would be even stronger, more focused. We remember we are storing our treasures in heaven so we keep persevering in our walk, in our prayers, in our praise to our Holy God.

Our salvation is based on God's amazing grace and Christ's atonement then the fruits of repentance, fruits of thanksgiving, fruits of good works, fruits of righteousness will then engulf our lives because of the hope and joy we have in our salvation.

I think it has the healthy effect that we begin to fear God and not take our gift of eternal life so much for granted. It cost a great deal, so our respect for it should be a great deal. Jesus completed His course, for which we all praise Him indeed. We also need to complete our course, growing constantly in the practice of our faith. In our wealthy societies we take so muchfor granted, but it is most dangerous to take our eternal life for granted. We need to be actively obedient to holiness and the call to bring people to Jesus. Either we are actively applying our faith or we are losing it through neglect which is most dangerous at the very least.

Our perspective in faith is that we want to please The Holy Spirit of God against whom to sin is fatal. This requires constant sensitivity. Faith without works is no faith at all (dead), so we cannot be inactive and complacent. Therefore we are to be on constant watch for opportunity to please the Spirit of the Living God in moves designed by love. Love is the matrix in which it all works. Without great love there is nothing!

We cannot receive the great blessing of salvatin without wishing that every person born could have the same blessing! We also have a vision of a world in which most people live by the Word of the Living God!.

All the works in the world will not prove that we believe Jesus - He alone knows what is in our heart of heart. But if our hearts are right with Jesus, and our faith is not dead, then it will surely show in our vigorous activities. All our salvation is through the savage cross of Jesus. That can never change, but it doesn''t exonerate us from our part in the pact. I can save a dog from the pound, but if he turns out to be an unmanageable, intractable beast endangering my family and friends, then he'll probably go right back to the pound. If, on the other hand, he appreciates my family and learns to fit in well, then we have a wonderful addition.

Faith and patience. Great faith is built upon longsuffering. The more that we go through, the more we learn to depend upon the Lord. Over the long haul, our entire earthly pilgrimage, we gain knowledge of how He raises us, increasing our intimacy with God which adds height and depth to our perceptions of Him.

We should always bear in mind that it is by grace that we are saved and not of any works that we can do.

To exercise faith and patience for the long haul, we must diligently read and absorb God's word daily. We need to be reminded daily that we are never left alone, God is always with us and will never forsake us. The world can operate in such a way as to push that truth away from us. We need to return to God daily so we can maintain the prospective of hope and fulfilment of God's promises to us. We resist the thought that our salvation depends on our own endurance by believing Jesus words "No man can come to the Father except through me", and knowing through past experiences when we choose to go it alone, God allows us our choice and we ultimately fail without Him. We can resist this temptation by being in God's word daily and believing in the Cross of Glory and live with the spirit of thankfulness that we receive such abounding love from our Lord and Savior. Thank you Jesus.

When we take seriously what the writer is saying in this Verses, we will be very strong Christians, we will not become lazy or feel bored because we will have hope.

Like an athlete, we are to train hard and run well, remembering the reward that lies ahead.

We should fix our eyes on Jesus, and we should not let anything take our eyes off our goals.

Because Christ lives in us, we can have endurance, Jesus predicted that His followers would be severely persecuted by those who hated Him (Matthew 10:22). In the midst of terrible persecution they could have hope, however, knowing that salvation was theirs. Times of trial serve to sift true Christians from false or fait-weather Christians. When you are pressured to give up and turn your back on Christ, remember the benefit of standing firm and continue to live for Christ. Patient endurance is not a way to be saved but the evidence that you are really committed to Jesus.

Faith and Patience must go to gether if we are to continue to believe, one strengthens the other, Only the Father knows when He will send Jesus to collect His own to Him so we have to have faith and patience to endure.

It effects our lives be giving us soething to look to and hold on to we endure with patience the race we run will patience continues to strengthen our faith in what God said He will do He has the power and is willing to do it. Our perspective is to look foward not back continue to be faithful to our calling, loving the breathern as Christ loves His church.

By remembering John 10:9,10 that it is by confessing Jesus that saves us not our own works, We are saved through grace and not by anythingn we can ddo to earn it. With out the mercy of God the Father we would have no reason for our faith and no future to look foward to.

We will be doing more of the Father's work as He has instructed us. More emphasis on His Will and less on our wants and we'll receive what He has promised.

We can concentrate on God's promises rather than what we are going through. Ask God to show us ways to express His love & grace to others. Go for the inheritance that was promised. Be diligent until the end. Press on and don't take salvation for granted.

If we exercise both our faith and patience we would have a vigorous, passionate faith that makes a difference for Jesus Christ on this planet. The effect it would have on our perspective is that we would be inclined to wait upon God's direction and timing just as Abraham did.

By being grounded in our faith and doctrine, i.e. we are saved by the grace of God through Jesus Christ and not by works, we can endure in our faith and resist being tempted into thinking that endurance alone leads to our salvation. Endurance basicially entails staying focused on Jesus Christ and in the Word of God.

Its effect on our Christian life is that we should not become lazy or passive, but we should become deligent or active in learning His word and seeking His will, and keep busy working for God.

Its effect on our perspective is that we should follow what Paul did: forgetting what is behind and strainning toward what is ahead, pressing on toward the goal to win the prize..(Philipians 3:13-14). Or, we should do what the writer of Hewbrews say: throwing off everything that hinder and the sin that so easily entangles, and running with perseverance tha race marked out for us, looking to Jesus (Hebrews 12:1,2)

We can resit it in a way that we keep believing that by grace we have been saved through faith, and that not of ourselves (Ep. 3:8). But we have to hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first (Hebrew3:14). We can lose our faith or confidence because of our heart hardened by sin's deceitfulness (Hebrews 3:13).

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective?

That we will inherit what has been promised if we remain diligent until the end.

By studying the word daily constantly, growing and maturing in our faith and holding firmly until the end.

1) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life?

* It causes us to take on an eternal mind set and although we may face trials and tribulation, we will always first connect to the solution and not the problem. It causes the unbeliever to notice how we respond to what we are facing or going through and how we have a strong confidence in knowing that our God is with us and that His word will always be the stone that kills our giant.

2) On our perspective?

* We are able to see ahead of things to come for us and to know that if God is faithful to us everyday, then He is truly faithful and true in His promise of eternal life.

* That in all things of God we will learn that He is not a lair and He stands by His word.

* He is our hope and He is our Lord!

3) How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

* We must always keep the atonement and the grace of God before us and we must always realize that we are sinners saved by grace and the we have no right to boast because we all fall short of the glory of God.

* It is only through Him and by Him does salvation even exist for if you haven't been to the cross then you can't and won't understand the atonement or the grace of God.

• 2 weeks later...

If we exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, we grow in the knowledge of God and learn to wait for His timing. Our perspective then becomes less our own desires and more God's direction.

When we wait on God, we are less likely to think of our salvation in terms of our endurance and more likely to subject it to Christ's atonement and God's grace.

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life?

A whole bunch of encouragement. Faith is where we receive our inheritance from. OUR FAITH! To be able to stay sustained in our faith, we need to continually fill up our faith vessel. Stories like the one of Paul

I will not take for granted my salvation, I will be diligent walking in faith. I will be on guard and I will not be lazy. I will be alert, and I must practice patience, for when testing and trials come, I will be prepared and will remain faithful to God. I will let love guide my way, helping others when in need. There are many that came before me that persevered and are called friends of God. I want to be called a friend of God.

It is because of our salvation that we can endure to the end!! We have Christ and the Holy Spirit to help us make it to the end. We also have our part of the covenant to keep and one part is, not to be lazy, not to take for granted what Christ did for us. Those saved by grace have a work to do, it is important we be diligent, alert, so we stay in faith; So read and study the word, practice the word.

Why do we have to endure to the end? Because Satan is out to destroy us, he is out to take our faith away-just as he did in the Garden. Our faith in God is worth it all, how can we lose with the Three in One to help us. Oh Yes, God tells us to be on watch! keep on keeping on, thats good enough for me.

If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our christian life?

We will grow in our faith and in doing so, will be able to stand up to any trials or temptations that come our way.

On our perspective?

We will begin to look at things from the perspective of eternity.

How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends on our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

By focusing on the fact that only through the sacriface of Christ on the cross, do we have eternal life.

• 3 weeks later...

There are two was to look at this. One way to look at this is to see this as Jesus loves me, but if His way takes too long I have to find another way. Another way to look at this is Jesus loves me so I know God is faithful who promised. This means that every promise that God has in His word will come to pass. I will die to my flesh. I will not let any thought that comes into my head to go contrary to God

Our need to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul (or the long race) before us has the effect of being with the Lord Jesus from day one of our being born-again to throughout eternity with Him. He has us in the palm of His hand so we need to be more and more conformed to His likeness as we grow in Him every day and as we keep our eyes and our hearts on Him and loving and obeying Him daily in our Christian lives, then we have the proper perspective towards our Lord God through His only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. We need to resist the subtle temptation of thinking that our salvation comes because of anything we do or say; rather, it is totally on Christ

• 2 months later...

A great reward from our Father in heaven. It should no effect on our Christian life at all. Stay in the Word of God asnd keep your Full Armor of God on at all times to avoid this spiritual war.

• 1 month later...

Part of keeping in good health is with exercise. With our Christian life, exercising patience and faith for the long haul means that no matter what time period we need to use it or have it, we must exercise it no matter what. I dont think you can borrow faith for just anytime or take it out on loan. The long haul to me means through it all!

The perspective it gives us is that through anything, we shall not fear and we shall not want. We will have built ourselves up to be in good health and not wimp out on the overall objective here - eternity! Saying "pfffft" in the midst of a storm wont get you anywhere but disappointed with God. And since he is the author and finisher of our faith, the perspective should be to accept it, release it and move on. Let Him finish it! Thats exercising it. Once its turned over to Him, patience comes. That is if you truly let it go. The hard part is exercising our own will in letting him have it, in order to keep our Christian life fit.

We can resist the temptation of thinking negative about our salvation by offering supplication.