JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Jesus' death in our place freed us from the penalty we deserve for our sins. If we walk with God, daily striving to become more like Jesus and walking closely to Him and relying on the Holy Spirit to keep us close then the cares and problems Satan throws at us can be handled with God-given strength and we can walk daily under HIs protection and in His power and peace.

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin?

We have spiritual freedom not spiritual bondage if we have been delivered by the power of Christ. We cannot defeat satan on our own, satan has power, there are real spiritual beings who seek to enslave men, but Christ is more powerful and without Him we are doomed to a life of spiritual bondage-a slave to sin.

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

The Holy Spirit is also called the Spirit of Truth, and gives us the saving knowledge of Christ, also the Holy Spirit enables us to live a holy life and gives us gifts to glorify, serve God. Those who are filled with the Holy Spirit bears fruit such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self control. The Holy Spirit dwells in who believe in Jesus, Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to dwell in our hearts. Without the Holy Spirit we would not know the truth we would be decieved by satan, we would not bear the fruit.

In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

We were bought and are now owned by God. We have a choice weither to sin or not. God will forgive us no matter what as long as we know Jesus Christ. " WE HAVE CHOICES ".....this is why we are set free...

The Holy Spirit keeps truth in our lives..helps keep us accountable..We have to be accountable for everything we do in God's eyes..

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

Who the Son sets free is free indeed. We are free in that we have the power to choose and the power through the Holy Spirit to permanent the change. We need the Holy Spirit in that if we are following after God we will not be following after sin. The Holy Spirit is our guide, our comforter, our seal, and our link to God.

We have been released from the bondage of sin and from paying the ultimate price that we all have to pay because of sin, which is death. Of course we all know that we will still die and give up our physical bodies someday. What we gained when the Servant gave up His life for us was the hope that we will someday wake up and, along with all the others who obeyed the commandments of the Lord, be taken up to heaven to join the Lord.

But even though we have been liberated from our bondage to sin, we still are in danger of being enslaved again. Our freedom does not ensure us that we are immune from the temptations that Satan will throw at us; neither are we free from Satan's temptations. In fact, we are more in danger of being tempted by Satan because he will attempt to bring us back to his folds.

This is where the Holy Spirit comes in. The role of the Holy Spirit is to augment our moral values. The Holy Spirit will be the small voice at the back of our heads that will try to remind us if we are going in the wrong direction or if we are making the wrong choice. The Holy Spirit will be our guide and our reminder. In a way, the Holy Spirit will keep us away and stand between us and the shackles of sin. :)

In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Jesus, as an army of one, won our freedom on the cross! :rolleyes: We as Christians, are no longer slaves to sin, & when we do stumble & fall, we now have a advocate, with the Father, Christ Jesus. We are also, no longer under the law, but in the state of Grace. This is "Freedom", indeed! :lol: The Holy Spirit, is God's gift to us....a comforter, a teacher...He is the Spirit of truth! He convict's us of sin, when needed, He lead's us into ALL truth, and keeps us on the true path. The Holy Spirit is my friend. :D

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom? Exposition

John 8:36 ,Therefore if the Son makes you free,you shall be free indeed.Romans 6:18,And having been set free from sin,you became slaves of righteoudness."From Slaves Of Sin To Slaves Of God"!Romans 6:22,But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God,you have your fruit to holiness,and the end,everlasting life.

The Holy Spirit who energizes our renewed spirit.It is also possible that the word refers to the Spirit in us that has now been brought to life.

Acts 1:8,But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you,and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem,and in all Judea and Samaria And to the "end of the earth".This is a new power to take the message of God to the ends of the earth.Jesus promised he would not leave us nor forsake us,but would be with us always,even to the end of the age.He fulfilled this promise in the form of the Holy Spirit,who dwells within believers. With the holy Spirit living in us I believe we have power to carry the message to the ends of the earth and we also have personal power to help us.All the same power that enables us to do the plans God has for our lives.

By His(Gods) spirit we are set free from sin, but we can still be endangered back into the slavery of sin. We just have to pray and ask him for giveness, but something or someone (the devil) is still there to tempt us, but God can help us overcome the devil and keep us free.

Jesus is our Great Protector and He will Keep us safe from all harm and sin can be harmful to us and to those around us.

Greetings All!

I see it this way. If a bird is in a cage, it has no choice but to live and act in accordance within the constraints of that cage. That is all it's ever known or done. If the cage door is opened, the bird has, in fact, been set free. It is now up to the bird (assuming the ability) to make a choice of how to live and act - within the constraints of the cage, or outside of the cage in true freedom.

We live in a cage of sin. Sin is all we've ever known or done. Jesus opened the door and sets us free to live in the freedom He provides. We now have the option of exiting the cage or staying in the cage. The truth is, we exit, then re-enter, then exit, then re-enter, then exit, then re-enter, then exit, then re-enter, then exit, then re-enter, then exit, then re-enter, ...well, you get the picture.

It is the Holy Spirit who encourages us to exit, shows us how and gives us the power (ability) to exit AND live outside of the cage of sin. He also warns us not to re-enter the cage, but we, all too often, fail to heed His warnings.

Dave

Hello Everyone, :)

In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin?

We have been set free from slavery to sin, because we have been forgiven our sins through the blood of Jesus. Satan loses his power over us. We have come under new management, and have been washed clean in the blood of the Lamb!

Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

The Holy Spirit

When we are set free we are empowered by the Holy Spirit to break out from our old lives and set off on a new pathway for God. He (the holy spirit) knows the inner workings of our hearts and leads us on the right path. Speaking personally, I know that if I keep close to God, read the scriptures and fellowship with God's people then He will not allow me to slip back into the old ways. It's only when I slip away if only for a second, that I can fall. It's best if I stay close to God and listen to the leading of His spirit.

We have been set free from the slavery of sin by the blood of Christ. Satan no longer has power over us.

The Holy Spirit helps us to keep in close fellowship with God. He helps us to keep our thought focused on the Lord.

We have been set free or released from the slavery to sin in that we have spiritual freedom, not bondage. When we sin, we seek forgiveness of our sins. Our Lord is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. In our daily walk, we need the indwelling Holy Spirit in our temples and the many gifts He brings for the journey. Love and prayers. lmc

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?
Being set free from our sin, being forgiven gives us the opportunity to live a new life. We no longer have to be burdened with the pain and suffering we cause ourselves and others.

However, in order to remain free, we need the Holy Spirit to guide us. Just as we could not escape from the bondage of sin on our own, we cannot know how to change our ways without a teacher. As we ask the Holy Spirit to lead us, we must listen for direction, and we must be intent on pleasing God who was so gracious and merciful to set us free.

+ By God's GRACE we are no longer under the conviction of sin, therefore we are free from the penalty of sin. No longer are our sins rolled forward, as they were under the Jewish Dispensation. Now our sins are as if they had never happened. "We are redeemed by the blood of the Lamb."

+ When Jesus left this world, the Holy Spirit came to be our Helper, our Counselor, our Comforter, and will be with us forever.

+ The Comforter, Counselor, and Helper among other names keeps us free by reminding us, convicting us, and loving us. I will never be alone, as I am not an orphan but have the Holy Spirit with me always and forever. :wub:

Some scriptures about the Holy Spirit are: Acts 1:16, 5:32, 7:51, 16:6-7 Romans 8 :26-27)

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin?

Paul puts it this way

:P We've been set free or released from slavery to sin when through Jesus' sacrifice and our acknowledgement of Him as our personal Lord and Savior, we have been forgiven of our sins. God 'erased the record that stood against us with its legal demands. Hallelujah!!!!!!!

:P We can never please God by trying to obey God's law by our own flawed effort, but rather by learning to live in the power of the Holy Spirit. "Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, saith the Lord.

God bless you all!

Q4. Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

We are no longer a slave to the power of sin. We need not fear because Jesus has paid the price. HALLELUJAH !!!!!!!

:lol::D:P

To lead us into all truth. He will cvontinually convict us when we sin. He helps us to stay true to Jesus and God's word.

:lol::rolleyes:

Extra Credit: In what sense have we been set free or released from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

The analogy of the caged bird really summed this up well! We have been set free, we no longer have the burden of striving to fulfill every requirement of the law. Yes, the sinful nature is still with us, but gradually through the work of the Holy spirit it diminishes. As in the cage illustration, over time the Spirit helps us to stay out of the cage more and more and experience the joy of flying free. :D

The Holy Spirit also helps us because we no longer have the rules of the law. We don't have things spelled out for us to that in each situation we know we are to do xyz. The Spirit guides us and shows us how to live according to the "law of grace" so that we can become more like Christ. The Spirit also seals us--give us assurance--so that we know we belong to Christ. Satan has no power to us out of the Father's hand--there is no way we can lose our salvation when the Spirit resides within us.

• 3 weeks later...

Christ -- by His death on the cross -- truly paid the price for sin and set free those who believe in Him. We are no longer slaves to sin -- but now can live the new life in Christ.

The Holy Spirit is needed to help us remain in that new life Christ calls us to -- and frees us for. Paul addresses this in Romans 6 -- calling on believers to live the new life Christ has freed them to live instead of going back to the old life of slavery to sin. Even though I know Christ has saved me from the "old life" of slavery to sin, I truly need the Holy Spirit to help me live in the "new life" instead of going back to the old ways.

In what sense have we been set free or relased from slavery to sin? Why do we need the Holy Spirit to help us keep this freedom?

:lol:

Let's pretend that when we are born into this world,

we are on a journey, and this world is full of dirt and soot. This dirt and soot is all over .. flying through the air as well as on the ground and all around us. There is no way to escape getting 'dirty'. When we stop to touch this dirt or soot we get 'filthy'. We also cannot find true direction .. due to everything looks like dirt or soot and we get lost on our journey. Then came along a wonderful 'suit' or 'robe' that we can put on and it keeps us from getting dirty and even if we touch the dirt or soot we stay clean. At the end of this journey, someone will be picking us up to take us back to a 'clean and healthy' place to live. If we are covered with dirt and soot or if we are not in the appointed place we are to be, this 'someone' will not be able to recognize us or will pass us by and we will miss going to the clean place. The Holy Spirit works as our director. He guides us to keep us in the 'appointed' place and the 'robe' is like Jesus who has taken our sins away. There is so much deception and so much we can miss in this lifetime if we do not find this 'robe' or the 'director'.

• 3 weeks later...

Free From Slavery/Sin and keeping our Salvation?

He (Jesus) took all of the sins of the World... all of them and that weight was upon Him while on the cross. He still asks us to give Him our sins... repentence and laying at His feet the struggles we deal with day in and day out. He tells us He has come to set the Captive Free... free from the bondage of sin. There are sins we may feel we are never going to be freed of... but I believe in His Word.

The Holy Spirit helps us, motivates us, and encourages us to turn from our old ways and become the new person we are in Him. He leads us each and every day and gently nudges us to do as we are Commanded to do by God's Word. When we spiritually lack in some area the Holy Spirit directs us in the path where a need may be attended to. Not every thought or encouraging feeling within the pit of your abdomen is from you... the Spirit of the Lord is always trying to direct you. And at times the feeling is to run... get away from there because it is a Temptation and you may not be strong enough to say no. But gradually the Spirit of the Lord will strengthen you in these areas to RESIST the TEMPTATIONs that come your way.

We need to be more sensitive the Holy Spirit and be less Resistant. I know this from experience. I am growing too. Love in Christ, Sunshine :D:wub: