JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. A New City and Country

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours? In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours?

Abraham diligently labored and trusted in Jehovah that his hope for a promised earthly country would be realized. Abraham died before seeing the earthly country but he never gave up hope. His faith is an example and an encouragement to us to continue our sojourn until the Rewarder, rewards us with the prize that is set before us.

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22)

The city of our Living God, the heavenly Jerusalem.

What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

The final country of which we are citizens of is a country which cannot be moved. It's not made by man and cannot be destroyed by man. It is a country prepared for us by God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours? In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

Like Abraham, I am a citizen of Heaven, and looking forward to my inheritance there. That is my permanent home, so it is of much greater importance than whatever happens down here. I'm here for now but the major thing is to reach the ultimate goal and Heaven by pleasing the Father. Abraham pleased God just because he loved and trusted Him, which was why he left the city of his birth and relatives to go wherever God sent him. It was all a matter of love and trust.

Seeing what Abraham did encourages me to love and trust God exactly as Abraham did, to know that God is my friend who will always watch over me and never let me down.

The final city which I shall see is the Heavenly city which is full of the angels of God - and saints past and present, and martyrs etc.

The final country is the Kingdom of God. and I want to succeed in getting there, so I humbly serve God and trust in the blood of Jesus.

How does his faith-journey encourage yours?

* When times get hard or my faith is stretched I remember the faith of Abraham and what this

one scripture say of him, the reward and the thought towards him from the God he serves.

James 2:23 And [so] the Scripture was fulfilled that says, Abraham believed in

(adhered to, trusted in, and relied on) God, and this was accounted

to him as righteousness (as conformity to God's will in thought and

deed), and he was called God's friend.

I talk in present tense because Abraham believed God and is seated at the right hand of Christ

as I type this and is living still in the faith that he believed in, the promises he heard and saw.

One day so will I and my generations and theirs and so on, because it is accounted unto me as

righteousness and I too believe because of it, I am called a friend of God.

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22)

* Heb 12: 22 But you have come to Mount Zion, to the heavenly Jerusalem,

the city of the living God. You have come to thousands upon thousands of

angels in joyful assembly,

What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

* 28 Let us therefore, receiving a kingdom that is firm and stable and cannot be

shaken, offer to God pleasing service and acceptable worship, with modesty

and pious care and godly fear and awe;

Abraham had such a personal relationship with God that when God required him to do something he obeyed with out question. He knew what ever it would be was for good because God had already given him promises of greater things to come. His faith-journey makes me want that kind of relationship, especially in the difficult times when all looks bleak.

The final City which God has prepared for us to see is the New Jerusalem that it talks about in ( Rev.21: 2-3 ) The New Jerusalem is where God lives among His people. Instead of our going up to meet Him, He comes down to be with us, just as God became Man in Jesus Christ and lived among us ( John 1: 14 ) Wherever God Reigns, there is peace, security, and love .

( 11: 16 ) These people of faith died without receiving all that God had promised, but they never lost hope in their vision of Heaven, ( " A better country -- A heavenly one " ) Many Christians become frustrated and defeated because their needs , wants, expectations, and demands are not immediately met when they believe in Christ. They become impatient and want to give up and quit. We must always take courage from these heroes of faith who lived and died without seeing the fruit of their faith on earth and yet continued to believe in that better country. They knew they were only passing through, they were only aliens and strangers on this earth,

It shows me that I to should not lose hope and continue to look for the same city. We all are strangers and wanderers in the land no matter what country we live in. His faith encourages me in that at his old age he did not lose faith,so I should not either. He continued to believe that God could and would do all that He had promised and I should do like wise giving all praise and glory to God just as Abraham did.

It is our eternal home in heaven a city built with out hands, the new Jerusalem the place that Christ went to prepare if it were not so He would have told us and I believe that it is true,because John, in Revelations, said that he saw it:

2And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

The country is heaven, the place of God and His angles, a country of the righteousness of Christ where there will be no hungry, death, or any other man made sin that have no place in heaven.

22But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels.

this country will be for the joy of life long praise and worship of the true God and maker of all things both here and in heaven.

When I was homeless I had a distinct impression that God was directing me to a certain place, bearing in mind that I had not had any relationship with Him for over 30 years. That place was a Christian church/mission. Two weeks after I arrived I was baptised in the Holy Spirit and received another word that I was called to this place to accomplish three works, all of which were based on my talents, nurtured in the world. That was 16 years ago.

As I learned of Abraham, faith is doing. Abraham set an example that when God calls, we respond. Abraham's story demonstrates that God is faithful and counts our faith as righteousness. How encouraging!

The final city for us is the New Jerusalem, in the Kingdom of Heaven.

9 By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. 10 For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God.

Abraham was in the promised land, the land God had chosen for him and his decendents to inheirit. More than likely he was camped at the spot where Jeruselum was to be built, with the city gates, walls, and temple to come later.

But what made him live like a stranger in a foreign country? God had given him the land. The customs of the people who lived there is what made him a stranger. I was raised in a small town in Idaho, when I moved to Redwood City CA. I acted the same as if I were in Genesee ID. My first day there I went outside, spotted my new neighbor and said, "Good morning." They all but grabbed the kids and ran back inside. Now in Genesee you cannot drive three blocks without waving to at least six differant people, because that is our custom. Not so in the big city, you don't wave or be any sort of friendly. But I didn't give up I kept on saying hi to people I didn't know and waving at people who gave me the dumb look or worse. A stranger in a place I chose to call home. But it didn't last but three years till I moved back to a town near Genesee.

Abraham chose to honor God and obey God's commands, that is what set him apart and make him like a stranger. Here is what the LORD says to Moses as the nation of Israel again heads off to the promised land; "Lev. 18:3 You must not do as they do in Egypt, where you used to live, and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan, where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices. 4 You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the LORD your God. 5 Keep my decrees and laws, for the man who obeys them will live by them. I am the LORD."(NIV)

So by faith Abraham lived like a stranger (following the customs of God and not of the city where he lived). Our city is being built and the cornerstone is Christ a stumbling block for some and a stepping stone for others; a stepping stone not to be trod on but to be lifted up by. The customs of the church are to be those which are obedient to God and as Christians living by faith, those customs should be familiar enough to us to make us feel like home. Those customs should be like a retreat, a place to come back to when the ways of the world overcome us. I never felt so much relief as when I saw the breaks of the Columbia Basin the day I returned to Idaho. That is the way we should feel each time we attend church, while awaiting the return of our LORD. That is the time when we will live in the city which will last forever. Rev. 21:2 "I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband."

Darrell

Abraham obeyed God, not knowing his earthly destination. While we sojourn here on earth, we too know our future permanent home lies in God's promise to us with eternal life. Abraham believed he would be a father, strictly because His heavenly father promised he would -- even against all earthly odds. We too need to be in the world, but "of" heaven. The final city will be the Jerusalem that God alone created, in the final country of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith-journey encourage yours?

ABRAHAM TRUSTED GOD BY FAITH NOT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THE COUNTRY TO WHICH HE WAS GOING. ABRAHAM'S FAITH IS A BLESSING TO ME AS IT MAKES ME MORE AWARE THAT GOD IS FAITHFUL. WE DON'T ALWAYS UNDERSTAND THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN OUR LIVES BUT WE KNOW GOD CAN BE TRUSTED TO BE FAITHFUL.

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see? (12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)[/u/

The final City which God has prepared for us to see is the New Jerusalem

THE FINAL COUNTRY OF WHICH WE ARE CITIZEN IS HEAVEN A PLACE OF ETERNAL JOY AND PEACE WHERE WE WILL LIVE WITH GOD FOREVER.

Abraham's faith journey encourages mine by thinking about how he trusted God--not knowing where he was going, but believing God had the perfect place for him. We have so much more info. now--why isn't our faith as strong as his?

The final city will be the heavenly Jerusalem & the final country will be the kingdom of God--heaven!

1) ABRAHAM ENCOURAGES ME TO CONTINUE TO LIVE A RIGHTEOUS LIFE AND TO FOLLOW GOD'S DIRECTIONS NO MATTER WHAT OBSTACLES I WOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH , NO MATTER HOW STRANGE THEY MAY BE TO ME AND NO MATTER IF I SEE THE END, BUT TO LOOK FORWARD TO MY FINAL REWARD.

2) THE HEAVENLY CITY OF JERUSALEM

3) THE HOLY CITY THAT WAS DESIGNED AND BUILT BY GOD

We are only passing through this world on our way to our true home, which is heaven. We must not seek security & be fascinated with this present world. Abraham separated himself from all that hindered his purpose to do the will of God. He sought a heavenly country to live with God in joy & peace forever. Through personal commitment to God & obedience, he received what God had promised.

We must do the same as Abraham and separate ourselves from the things of this world and strive to live the will of God for our lives. Live in obedience and personal commitment to Jesus Christ in order to inherit all that God promised.

City of Mount Zion in heavenly Jerusalem, which is the city of the living God. New heaven and new earth which is God's Kingdom.

Abraham's faith journey encourages mines because he just obeyed God and walked in faith knowing and trusting in God. So I have to walk in faith and be obedient to God's will.

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see?

The final city that we shall see is "The City of God, the Heavenly Jerusalem, the city that "he has prepared for them" (11:16). This "the city that is to come" (Hebrews 13:14), has "foundations" (11:10), specifically, according to Revelation 21, 12 foundations. This Holy City which we examine further in Hebrews 12 is constructed by no human. Its "architect3 and builder4 is God" (11:10). It is "prepared"5 by God for his saints "(11:16)

(12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

"13bAnd they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. 15If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. 16Instead, they were longing for a better country -- a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them." (11:13-16)

Abraham's faith should encourage me that I have to obey God's command without question. Abraham focused on what was a head of him and God's promises.

The earth as we know will not last for ever but after God's great judgement, He will create a new earth. We don't know how the new earth will look or where it will be, but God and His followers- those whose Names are written in the Books of Life- will be united to live there for ever.

God's Kingdom will last for ever, the world will crumble. Those who follow Christ are part of His unshakable Kingdom, and they will withstand the shaking, sifting and burning. No mattter what happen here our future is built on a solid foundation - Let us built our Life on Christ and His unshakable Kingdom.

IT is faith that Motivated the people meantioned in Hebrews 11:8-31,

Their faith was based on thier trust on God- They had seen what God was doing in there lives and they had no doubt that He was to be trusted.

They were Obeying God since He was faithful in Keeping His promises to them.

Rahab had faith in God, she trusted God to spare her and her family when the wall was going to be destroyed.

Over my Christian walk I have always come to this chapter when I am 'feeling lost or insecure' to read through this faith chapter is always encouraging to me and gives me the focus on God's promise to me.

The Heavenly City of Jerusalem

The Holy City built and designed by God

Abraham pioneered the way of faith. I look to Abraham as an example of how it is done and how God responded to Abraham's obediance. Abraham is a model of faithfulness for all of us.

The final city we shall see is the New Jersusalem and the final country of which we are citizens is the Heavenly Kingdom of God.

It inspires me to be more like Abraham, to not give up when the going gets tough, to have faith and be strong and love my God.

In Scriptural typology, what is the final "city" which we shall see?

The Heavenly Jerusalem, the place that Jesus is preparing for us right now.

(12:22) What is the final country of which we are citizens? (12:28)

The Kingdom of Heaven, the place where God and His Angels are. :rolleyes:

Q1. (Hebrews 11:8-19) Abraham was on a faith-quest, looking for a city (verse 10) and a country (verses 14-16). How does his faith- journey encourage yours? From all that I understand, We who believe in God and Christ Jesus are headed to the New City of Jerusalem, The Kingdom of God. We don

Abraham's faith-quest encourages me because it gives me hope that God will fulfill His promises no matter what obstacles are in the way.

In Scriptural typology the final "city" we shall see is the heavenly Jerusalem.

The final "country" of which we are citizens is the new earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Time means nothing. God is the goal, God is everything. It doesn

• 3 months later...

"Abraham's faith-quest", this encourages me so much to keep the faith to see the new city with all of its foundations in heaven. The final country of which we are citizens are Mount Zion in heavenly Jerusalem the city of the living God. For this I am so thankful, and I will always worship God acceptably with reverence and awe.

• 2 months later...