JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Greed and Security

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs? What is the antidote for greed in our lives? What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life? If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves?

We can recognize greed in ourselves when we always seem to want more of what we already have.

What will be the signs?

Inability to be satisfied with what we have, instead we seek to go after more.

What is the antidote for greed in our lives?

The antidote for greed in our lives is to accept what we have, be thankful and satisfied. Knowing that in what ever position we are in God has promised that He will always be there with us.

What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life?

The earmarks of a greed-free life is one who is free from the love of money and is satisfied with what they currently have.

If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

The basis of our security for the future is the promise of God to be with us always. We can have the confidence that He will provide for us.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs? What is the antidote for greed in our lives? What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life? If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

There should always be a delightin giving - to church, to worthy causes etc, because it is ann opportunity to bless. I think when this joy subsides we have a problem with greed. When all our weekly budget begins to be spent on us with no room for helping others,then we areon the edge of greedy. The 10% tithe is a basic essential, but not the end of giving Then there are offerings and opportunities to bless which should be received with delight. To do less is to be thoroughly greedy. To cease to delight in giving to the need of another is pure greed and selfishness in our advanced (technologically) society.

The antidote for greed is probably dose of poverty, and being temporarily unable to accommodate all one's wants. In this way we see what other people struggle through all their days. However, some canreact to povertyby becoming very greedy, so the anti dotefor greed is more likelytobe vision of whatcan be achieved withmoney

A greed-free life would be simple, not involve frequent shopping trips, and buying bits and pieces.

Jesus is the basis of our security for the future. I think we should make all reasonable provision, and finally after that, trust Jesus. (We were encouraged to do all possible and then stand) Jesus takes over

Promises include

The promise of wisdom,

God will neer abandon us.

The promise that man cannot do more than kill me. All else I can do for myself.

The Lord is my Helper!

How can we recognize greed in ourselves? When it is all for me, do I want to hoard things? Do I look at larger portions for myself? Do I walk by the poor on the streets begging for food or money? I ask these questions and many more. How many do I say yes to? Has Greed become an Idol to me? I have found the antidote for greed in any area of my life is the example of the little widow lady that gave to Elijah knowing that she and her son would die, also the widow lady who gave all she had into the offering box.

The earmarks of a greed-free life! How can we learn to be content? Strive with less rather than desiring more, give away out of my lack rather than accumulating more, relish what I have rather than resent what I am missing . See God's love expressed in what He has provided , and remember that money and possessions will all pass away. Always count my blessings, whether it is nothing or plenty. There is always something to be thankful for. Never envy what others have. Rejoice with them that God has blessed them.

We become content when we realize God's sufficiency for our needs. When we become materialistic

we are saying by our actions that God can't take care of us. Or at least that He won't take care of me the the way I want. When I feel insecure it can lead to the love of things and money, whether I am rich or poor. The only security for the future is total trust in God to meet all my needs. I am a single widow on a fixed income, I give away more than I get, yet I am never in lack. I go to the food bank for food and give it to those who need it more than me. God is my husband and provider. I do so agree with what Darrel wrote about the churches.

Keep my life free from the love of money.

Be content with what I have.

Because God, "said He would never leave me or forsake me"

So with confidence " The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me."

Greed is the desire for more & more. One of the signs will be be disatisfaction with what we have & no contentment. The antidote for our greed would be a contentment with what we have, dedicate it totally to the Lord and to be thankful for what we have.

Ear-marks of a greed-free life are contentment, joy & eyes on Jesus, desiring His will for our lives.

Money cannot provide us security in the eternal world, maybe not even in our world. Eternal security--security in the Lord is where we can rest!!

Promises found in these verses are: God will never leave or forsake us and God is our helper--we need not be afraid of mere man. PTL!

If We are not satisfied with what we have, when we accumulate more on our own without helping those in need, even our close relatives. In short if we become materialistic and putting God aside in our affairs.

The Only antidote for greed in our lives is to trust God to meet all our needs. We should see God's Love expressed in what He Has provided, and we should also remember that money and possession will all pass away.

When we, as Christians place the worlds needs, the things that are temporal first,take note. When we desire material blessings more than spiritual, be very affraid. When we store up more than we could ever use or need it is time to repent.

A greed free life in one in which we are quite content with whta God has given us. He is Jehaovah Jireh, our Lord Provider and it is by Him that our future is secured.

In Hebrews 13:5-6 God promises that He will always be with us, that He will never cast us away. He is our helper (our provider, meaning we will never lack what we need.), our protector.

I would say that if a person measures his worth by the things of the world that person is a greedy person. My favorite quote comes from D.L Moody, "I hold very loosely to the things of this world because I never know when God may require them of me." What a contrast to the bumper stickers which say, "The one who wins is the person who dies with the most toys."

My wife and I have a painting company and we pay our employees more than we make. Why?? We are in our mid fifty's and do not require as much to make ends meet as they do. We live on 15,000 a year and help a young family out with 300 dollars a month. We have chosen to tythe this way because of the greed which fills the church today. I just don't understand why the need for so many massive buildings which sit idle for six days a week.

We live in a greed filled country and its ugly head showed this past week when congress argued over the spending bill for farm subsidy. Big business won out again with corperate farms getting the biggest share. This is in contrast to what the Lord says to do in Malachi 3, "Bring the full tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. And thereby put me to the test, says the LORD of hosts, if I will not open the windows of heaven for you and pour down for you a blessing until there is no more need." Most churches are this way too, the tythes are there, just bring them in and fill the storehouse for those in need instead of collecting the money and giving it where it is not needed.

What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life? Try this one. Reach into your pocket and pull out your last dollar and give it away to a single mom, whom you didn't know, just because she had to put the kids treats back at the grocery store.

What future???? If we truly believed that there is a heaven and that is our future why money????

Never is a long time and so the place we choose to live for now, will either be of this world or heaven.

Darrell

We can recognize greed in ourselves if we are constantly trying to keep up with the jones's or always trying to have more and more things.

I believe the signs are constant working to have more, working two jobs just to pay the bills.

The antidote would be putting our total trust in God for what we need and being willing to be satisfied with what we have.

A greed free life would be as I stated above dependant on God and being satisified with what we have and not in the race for more and for things we don't really need.

The basis for our security should be our faith and trust in God to provide for us as He has promised.

heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

God's promise to never leave me nor forsake me means to me that I should not have to worry about tomorrow but be content with what I have today.

The promise that He alone can protect and provide for me so that there is nothing man can do to change His promise for my future.

We can recognize greed in ourselves when we want to gather "things" into our lives to keep pace with others, instead of trusting God when He says He will never forsake us. The signs are that we depend on things to be happy instead of depending on God to provide. The antidote is to learn to be happy and thankful for what we have. The person who lives simply, and loves God more than money and uses what he has to serve God, rather than expecting money to serve him, would be a greed-free life. We should base our security for the future on God's promises to us - that He will never leave us nor will He forsake us. He will guide us and provide for us everything that we need. "His grace is sufficient for us".

1) We can recognize greed in ourselves when we desire things that we don't need.

2) When we constantly buy more food than we can eat, more clothes than we can wear, a bigger house than we need, four or five cars and only drive one at a time, etc...These things show that we have become greedy without realizing it.

3) One antidote for greed is to give to an unfortunate person when we have the desire to buy something that we don't need. We should be content with what God has blessed us with.

4) Our contentment and happines with whatever we have. When we stop worrying about what others possessed. There is a reason that God hasn't given you some things.

5) Our security should always depend on God who supplies all our needs. If He felt that we needed it, He would have given it to us.

6) We should never forget his promise that he would never forsake us. He said to ask and we shall receive and if he hasn't given it to us, there is a reason and we should make ourselves content.

1) We can recognize greed in ourselves when we desire things that we don't need.

2) When we constantly buy more food than we can eat, more clothes than we can wear, a bigger house than we need, four or five cars and only drive one at a time, etc...These things show that we have become greedy without realizing it.

3) One antidote for greed is to give to an unfortunate person when we have the desire to buy something that we don't need. We should be content with what God has blessed us with.

4) Our contentment and happines with whatever we have. When we stop worrying about what others possessed. There is a reason that God hasn't given you some things.

5) Our security should always depend on God who supplies all our needs. If He felt that we needed it, He would have given it to us.

6) We should never forget his promise that he would never forsake us. He said to ask and we shall receive and if he hasn't given it to us, there is a reason and we should make ourselves content.

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6)

5Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." 6So we can confidently say,

"The Lord is my helper;

I will not fear;

what can man do to me?"

How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs?

I guess greed in myself is a type of hoarding of "stuff" that I might need some day? But I do not really WANT more, so much as feeling a need to Not need more...for I have plenty... I am not sure I am greedy for I really LOVE to have something to give away to others and I do without compunction...and I appreciate being able to GIVE to the Lord and others, of whatever I have. Money is not security in itself at all, and the stock market proves that all the time. The Word of God that promises us He will not leave us, nor forget us, and will KEEP us and help, forgive and provide for us is our REAL SECURITY. His love is my most special security for with his love he cannot help but take care of me.

It seems to me the verse that says, "contentment is great gain" speaks to my heart most of all, for I am content and thankful for all He is to me and will be too. He is faithful, constant, and everlasting and He does NOT CHANGE...I can count on Him. ....just as all of His people could count on him and always will be able to....God is Sovereign

When we are not content with what we have and always wanting more.

Be content with what we do have and not desire more and more.

By sacrificing and giving to others.

Remembering that God will supply all our needs.

The Lord is my helper. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? If we depend on God more and less on ourselves, we'd be surprised at the outcome. He will always be there to help.

We recognize greed in ourselves when we start to wanting to keep up with the "Jones" and want to have what everyone else has.

The signs are that the bills will amount up because one is spending that money on materialistic things.

The earmarks would be a total reliance on God, as Matthew 16.26 states - for what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?'

Our God is our great provider and we must totally trust in Him for all our needs.

The promises of how 'He will never leave or foraske us' and of He is our helper.

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs?

We can recognize greed within ourselves by just taking an inventory of our lives. Look around, see if you have things that have no use no value just storing up treasures on earth. For example, more clothes than one can wear, when you cook and it is wasted thrown out in the trash because you no longer want it, vehicles that are fully equiped with things that you will never use, tv that has 250+ channels, knowing that there is no way you will ever see all 250+, etc..... If so then you should make some changes in your life. Because the only treasures worth storing or those promised in heaven.

Stop focusing on worldly possession start building treasures in heaven. Start believing that when God says he takes care of all your needs that he speaks the truth. He takes care of us just like he takes care of all of his creation.

I believe the earmarks of a greed-free life would be freedom from this world, belief in God that he has and will provide for all my needs. He will never leave me and I will be satisfied with what he provides. I won't have the desire for worldly things because they will not hold a place in my heart instead my heart will belong to God and will trust and believe that he will meet all my needs spiritually, physically, and mentally.

If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future? What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6? Our security should be based on the trust we have in God for he will not leave us and he will meet all our needs. He will take care of us and he will not let us down. When you come to live according to his truth you no longer desire worldly things.

How can we recognize greed in ourselves?

* When we worry and care for our needs, insteed of know God is our source

* When we don't care for others in real need

* NOT TITHEING TO FURTHER THE KINGDOM OF GOD

What will be the signs?

* Fear, selfishness, unconcerned of others and not seeing God as our Heavenly Father

who art in Heaven loving us and wanting to care for us all, like Jesus knowing Him

as He did

* Love - it is the antidote to greed - for when we love there is no self

Understanding God's love for us, helps love the unloved and the needs of others

* When you see joy in your life and joy in others, your church and seeing

God smile upon you

If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future?

* Trust IN God

What promises do you find in verses 5 and 6?

* So we say with confidence,16

'The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.

What can man do to me?'" (13:5-6)

I can recogize greed within myself when I desire material excess in my self that I don't need. A desire that would exclude or put to the back seat giving to the Church and others or blessing others with my material resources. The antidote for greed in my life is remembering what Jesus taught and staying on track with that.

The earmark of a greed-free ife is that I am content with what God is blessing me with and having an open hand in giving to the Church and others as a way of blessing others.

The basis of my security is not financial resources, but my God. It should be remembered that financial resources however great can go only so far. God will never abandoned us. God is my God and I permit Him to be so.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of ways we may recognize greed in ourselves are by measuring how much we desire money or some other object with our desire to love, follow and obey God and His Word for us; and another way might be is the desire we have for the thing(s) growing in us as it gradually takes over our lives? These are a few of the signs of greed (or covertness) in our lives, which we need to overcome with the Lord

We can recognize greed in ourselves when we "want" but don't "need", when we keep wanting more just to have it. THe antidote is to put Christ and others before ourselves. A greed-free life is when people are most important, not things. Our future security needs to be in Christ. Retirement funds are important because we don't want to have to be dependent on others but nothing should be more important than people. God will never leave me or forsake me.

Q2. (Hebrews 13:5-6) How can we recognize greed in ourselves? What will be the signs?

We can recognize greed in ourselves when we start putting the things of this world before spending time with God and family. There is nothing wrong with having good goals to work for, but when they take first place in our lives and become the most important goal, that is a red flag of greed waving before us. Greed comes in many disguises that can fool us into thinking we are doing this for the family, when in reality it is the greed for the things that money can buy, the pleasures of this world that are taking root in our lives.

The antidote is found in the first commandment of the New Covenant, love God first. As we strive to do so, there will be no room for the pleasures of this world to take root, for our foundation is on God and doing what pleases Him, for His goals for us are for our own good. Study God's Word, for they are a light for us to walk in.

What would be the earmarks of a greed-free life? If not money, what should be the basis of our security for the future?

What a wonderful basis for our security than the Word of God telling us, "He will never leave us", the ones who are not allowing greed to control our lives, but who are trusting in Him; For He is our helper, I will not fear man, nor what they can do to me, I will keep on trusting in The Almighty, for He told me "He will be there for me!"