JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Psalm 133) What about this short psalm seems to attract you? Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult? What kinds of commitments does unity require of us? How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other? Why are reconciliation and unity such high values in Jesus' teaching, do you think?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 133) What about this short psalm seems to attract you? Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult? What kinds of commitments does unity require of us? How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other? Why are reconciliation and unity such high values in Jesus' teaching, do you think?

What about this short psalm seems to attract you?

* I feel the heart of not only the Psalmist here, but I feel the heart of the Holy Spirit that comes from our Father in Heaven and also the passion and compassion Jesus has for mankind.

* I see the 3- God Head here in speaking, feeling and urging us to love one another as They do and have loved us.

* The oil here is the representation of the Holy Spirit and how God has poured out His anointing upon us. The mountain represents to us the place of God's dwelling, the beard represents the age of mankind and how God has love us though the ages of time and how though the ages of these times He has talked and tried to teach man to love one another. "How good it is that man dwell in peace with one another."

Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult?

* The main reason is lack of love for one another

* The want to rule over others ( main reason for wars among all nations)

* No humility and selfishness ( wanting one's own way)

* Greed is a common thing among people

* Pride is also a common factor of the flesh (Gal: 5)

Look at Cain and Abel: Anger, Jealousy, Strife, and the want to conquer and rule a nation. Each one of us represents a nation of people and if someone like Cain rules and reins over us along with the God in us then there is always the risk of murder in their hearts.

* Witchcraft, idolatry, the list can go on and on here, this is why man has a problem with unity. " out of a man's heart flows the issues of life.

It's not hard to look at the person or nation in which your live to see and know why you can't dwell among them in unity. Lack of love for you, the want to control you and to take what you have.

Think here about the 10 commandments and line them up against love and humility. This tells a story doesn't it. This is why man today dose not want them in sight. They tell of their lives and how they live.

What kinds of commitments does unity require of us?

* Jesus said, " to lay ones life down for another"

* Jesus said, " to love one another as I have loved you"

Wow, I just typed that and the answer is just what Jesus commanded us to do. The two commandments He taught that would fulfill the first 10.

How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other?

* Well, in thinking of these two things the only answer I can arrive at is:

Conflict comes due to differences of opinions, mind sets, life styles, unwillingness to change

* The word keeps coming in my spirit; "diversity" let's look at this word and its meaning and see what God is wanting us to understand at this moment.

Well the word diversity lead us to the variety....

Main Entry: va

What about this short Psalm seems to attract you? EVERYTHING..... I believe all the answers will be found in the whole Message.

Unity is powerful.

" The Lord said, 'If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them" ( Tower of Babel- Genesis 11:6 )

" though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken" ( Ecclesiastes 4:12 ).

Now when the Day of Pentecost has fully come, they were all with one accord in one place" (Acts 2:1 ). We know what happened. Unity is blessed and desired.

" How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in Unity ......... For there the Lord bestows His Blessings...." ( Psalm 133: 1 )....." that all may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you... so that the world may believe that you sent me" ( John 17: 21 )

What is Unity. Predominately, Christian unity is mutual identity in Christ ( Galatians 3:26-29 ), shared spiritual life, focus and direction, which transcends differences and diversity ( Purity ). " Our fellowship is with the Father and the Son, Jesus Christ" ( 1John 1:3 ) Unity is rooted in our common love for Christ, His word and His mission.

How do Unity and diversity interrelate?

Unity is not sameness. The Church is comprised of individuals distinctly different as to background., temperament, preferences.. ( 1 Corinthians 12: 12-27 ). It is our common focus. Not our alikeness or our perpetual agreement, which unites us. Uniformity is unrealistic, even undesirable

How is Unity developed?

Relationship with Jesus, commitment to scriptures and fullness of the Holy Spirit, with fruit.

( Galations 5;22, James 3:17 ), provide ingredients for unity. " Those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." ( Romans 8:5 ). Unity is of the Holy Spirit.

Disunity is of the flesh. "Walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh', ( Galatians 5: 16).

Steps to maintain Unity.

1. Cultivate personal growth in the Holy Spirit

2. Pray for others by name

3. Respect and appreciate the uniqueness of others who are not like you.

4. Commit yourself to the well being of others.

5. Speak well of others.

6. Keep no record of wrongs. ( 1 Corinthians 13 ).

7. Hold each other accountable to the above.

How is Unity maintained?

Christian love( unselfish commitment to each other's well being), with genuine respect and appreciation for each other, preserves unity. The application of grace, as the inseperable partner of peace, is essential. Humility is another element, without which unity will not continue" Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves", " Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Forgiveness is a key componet.

The greatest threats to unity are those subtle invasions of ego, pride , selfishness, wanting one's own way.... Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Jealous ambition, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." ( Philippians 2: 3-4 )

The loving practice of biblical discipline ( Matthew 18, 1Timothy 5 ) fosters unity.

Christian unity is essential to God's fullest blessing. The rewards are worth the effort it takes to develop and preserve unity.

This Psalm attracts me because it seems to emphasise that which even believers find most difficult, that is to live in a community in harmony while at the same time acknowledging that others may hold different ideals to your own. As it's been pointed out in the study, the Protestant Church is constantly in danger of eing torn apart because of differences that individual perceive in God's word. Each group claims to have the 'right' way to worship God, whereas in Truth, our interpretations each spring from the limitations of our own human worldviews and experiences...how on earth can we as humans claim to 'know' what is in God's mind?

Jesus took great pains to remind us that our actions to remain pure by maintaining outward appearances were nothing to God...it was not what we did, but what came from within us, our thoughts and our words, that indicated our purity and cleanliness. Jesus reminded us constantly that as Our Father had created each of us as an individual we would each have our own way of worshipping God, one way wasn't superior to another's way, we are instructed to worship as feels right to each of us. So rituals and other man made regimen isn't important, nor are the man made tenets and doctrine that lead us to worship the method and not God.

Whenever I am asked where I worship, I reply with '...I worship God at, such and such Church'. I resist the tendency to classify myself as one particular denomination. Yes, God has called me to the Church where I currently worship and when He instructs me to another Church, whatever the denomination...I will obey His call. This is because the denomination isn't important to me, it is the teaching....is it Scriptural and true to God's Word, or is it corrupted to suit a human's particular agenda?

As professing believer's we are called to ensure that Scripture remains uncorrupted by man's individual agenda, but we are often distracted by minor differences in interpretation, interpretation that is spawned by our own individual worldviews. We must learn to put aside these petty differences, instead to concentrate on what remains Truth and is unchangeable, ie, GOD. When we manage to do this then we will be fulfilling our Calling.

THE FACT THAT THE DESCRIPTION OF UNITY IS SO POETIC ATTRACTS ME. IT'S ALMOST AS THOUGH I CAN FEEL THE PRESENCE OF THE LORD IN THE WORDS. I THINK THAT DWELLING TOGETHER IN UNITY IS SOMETIMES DIFFICULT BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTS TO HAVE THEIR OWN WAY; AND BECAUSE WE'RE UNIQUE INDIVIDUALS, THOSE WAYS AREN'T ALWAYS THE SAME. THIS OF ITSELF IS NORMAL, BUT THE PROBLEM COMES IN WHEN NO ONE IS WILLING TO HUMBLE THEMSELVES AND BEND A LITTLE SO THAT UNITY CAN BE ATTAINED.

I BELIEVE THAT UNITY REQUIRES A COMMITMENT OF HUMILITY & A COMMITMENT TO LOVE OTHERS & DESIRE THEIR BEST.

I DON'T REALLY SEE HOW THE PRINCIPLES OF UNITY & PURITY CONFLICT WITH EACH OTHER.

I BELIEVE THAT RECONCILIATION & UNITY ARE HIGH VALUES IN JESUS' TEACHINGS BECAUSE ONE OF THE ATTRIBUTES OF GOD IS "UNITY" & JESUS CAME TO EARTH IN THE FORM OF MAN, WAS CRUCIFIED, DIED, & RESURRECTED SO THAT WE (SINFUL HUMANS) COULD BE RECONCILED TO FATHER GOD.

I REMAIN IN HIS SERVICE+++

(Psalm 133) What about this short psalm seems to attract you? Life forevermore....

Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult? "Where do you think these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves" (James 4:1).

What kinds of commitments does unity require of us? Trust and a common goal, integrity, faith, love, patience - the virtues.

How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other? You do not have to be pure to live in unity, you need grace, mercy, forgiveness, and love. You do have to have unity though to be pure - for there can be no unforgiveness in you if you are pure.

Why are reconciliation and unity such high values in Jesus' teaching, do you think? Jesus died for our sins before he would allow us to die in sin. By his life we are reconciled unto the Father and brought blameless and holy before Him. Jesus is the only way.

THE DWELLING PLACE ATTRACTED ME BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE GOD IS.. UNITY IS BEING ONE FIRST WITH HIM AND THEN TAKE AND ACCEPT YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS THE WAY THAT THEY ARE... NO FIGHTING ..LIVING IN PEACE LIKE GOD ATTENEDED US TO DO...JESUS LOVES PEACE HE IS A GOD OF LOVE ..HE WANTS US TO WALK THE LOVE WALK .

1). The short psalm attract us to be sincere with childlike faith, living in mutual harmony and bonding in unity with one another bearing in love.

2. Dwelling together in unity is so difficult because of the lack of love for one another, wanting to over rule the other, carryng pride, arrogrance, selfishness, fame, power,anger, hatred, envy and grudges within oneself.

3). Unity requires personal growth in the Holy Spirit, geniune respect and appreciation for each other,

trust, faith, love, patience and the fruit of the Spirit.

4). The principles of unity and purity seems to conflict with each other when there are differences of opinion, wanting our own way, unforgiveness, unloving kindness, ego, pride and power.

5). Reconcialiation and unity are such high value in Jesus` teaching because He has crucified and died for our sin to allow us to be blameless and perfect again so that we can reconcile with the Father. We are to humble ourselves and have a heart to love others as God has loved us in order to please our Heavenly Father.

Q3. (Psalm 133) What about this short psalm seems to attract you?

It tells us what the heart of God is for the Church. So many times we cry, "What is your will, O God?" and we read it and pass over without meditation. My prayer is that we stop and meditate as we read.

Why is "dwelling together in unity" so difficult?

It become difficult when we fail to look upon others as equal in the sight of God. Too many want to be seen as the boss, not necessarily the leader.

What kinds of commitments does unity require of us?

Unity requires that we esteem each other better than ourselves. In so doing we would walk in obedience to Jesus' command to love each other.

How do the principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other?

The principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other when we fail to fellowship with those of different opinions and interpretive doctrines. Many denominations see others as people to shun for fear of being labelled? It goes against the teaching of Christ to love each other as He love us.

Why are reconciliation and unity such high values in Jesus' teaching, do you think?

It is high valued because the Church that Jesus is returning for must be united. He is not coming back for a splintered church, He is coming back for one body of believers.

I'm particularly attracted to the simplicity of this Psalm. It is simple, yet very hard to put into practice.

Dwelling in unity is very hard because we all have our own ideas as to what should be done & how to do it.

We need to be committed to each other & to be ready to love & respect the other person more than ourselves.

Unity & purity seem to be at odds with each other, but they are really complimentary. If both parties have pure motives & a heart for God, unity should come easier.

A church that celebrates reconciliation & unity are far more effective in this world. They would be noticed by the world & many would be desirous to know our Jesus.

We are His Church (not His churches)......

That God wants us to live togeather in unity and that is the last thing it seems some of us wanted to do, we go to great lenghts to get away from everyone to live a seperateist live not having to develope a relationship with any one is our desire.

It is difficult because it takes work. To be able to have unity there must be a dependance on each other and a forgiveness for failure. We find this hard to do

It requires us to put others before us allowing their need and feeling to have first place wiht us is quite hard.

It requires determination to keep striving when every thing s seems to say yu don't want to do this.

It is hard to have unity and purity at the same time as we all know we are all sinners so we want our way first and foremost so their goes the unity and as we fail in being a unified people we also fail a purity because it is what Jesus wants for us. They conflict again in as we strive for purity is seems that we can't have unity because there are some who would try and keep us from reaching that goal and we can not have unity with themif we want to suceed.

We must forgive or the Father will not for give us. Reconciliation starts with true forgiveness. Jesue last words Father forgive them. We need to follow in the steps of our Lord and Saviour.

Others have posted excellent thoughts regarding the questions raised in our lesson. It's a blessing to read what they have to say. I have but one thing I would add and this is not an original thought by any means. Some one told me one time that one of the problems we face in the Church, is that we get "unity" in the body and "uniformity" (meaning everyone being poured out of the same mold and doing everything the same way) all mixed up. Our unity needs to be centered in and about Christ and the salvation He offers with a loving tolerence for the various methods by which we do ministry. I thought of the "music wars" that surfaced over the past decade or so. This psalm causes me to really think about how open I am to others and their methods or ways of praising the Lord.

I agree that "dwelling together in unity" is difficult because we all think very differently from one another. Being "together", we make ourselves vulnerable to others - which is very difficult. We know we need each other, but we still want to be ourselves with our own ideas and not get hurt.

I am a very new Christian and am having alot of trouble making myself vulnerable to others. I still have my own ideas and ways of doing things and trying to learn and live the Lord's way is proving to be a challenge.

I believe that reconciliation and unity are very high values in Jesus' teachings because we have to :

1. recognize our sins,

2. ask for forgiveness and

3. try to love others as Jesus loves us

Most of the time, these are very difficult things to do all at once.

The prospect of unity amongst Christians worldwide would be exciting but I fear that the opportunity died years ago and will not be resurrected until the true believers gather together at the marriage table of the Lamb. Even unity within our own congregations is difficult to obtain because we judge and backbite one another too easily.

To be successful at unity would require purity, crucifying the flesh and walking in the Spirit, thus eliminating all of the lusts that cause dissention. To get everyone to do that at the same time seems like quite a chore.

Reconciliation asks that one humbles themself to make amends. Our God mandates that we be humble before Him and as the Prince of Peace, unity is essential in His presence.

The imagery of this psalm makes me think of two things. Firstly, unity being refreshing, a good feeling working together on a common task like the refreshing feeling of the smell of purfume or being cleansed. Secondly it makes me think of a single dew drop, formed of many water particles and without unity it would be just a fine mist, not a perfectly formed droplet, clean and pure. Unity requires us to slow down in this busy world, taking time to listen to other, learning about their point of view, as we all have different backgrounds and understanding. We are all different and have different roles to play in body, it would be no good if we were all right legs (we would just go around in crcles) We need to accept and love others for their differences, not try and control people. Unity is important for growth of the kingdom, people need to see this unity and love, not be condemed, as we were all once unsaved sinners.

What attracts me about this Psalm is the beauty with which it speaks about believers living in unity.

Living in unity is very difficult because all believers still have to deal with their flesh.And our flesh fights against God's spirit that dwells in all believers.

We need to be committed to yielding to the Holy Spirit,we need to commit ourselves to love one another and want what is good for our fellow believers,putting them first and ourselves last.

The principles of unity and purity seem to conflict with each other because when we are striving for unity we must not compromise our purity.If it is something that goes against God's Word then we must not compromise even if it causes disunity.But it must be very clear in the Bible and not just our opinion.

Reconcilation and unity are high values in Jesus teaching because God is love and He wants his followers to have love for each other.Love for one another and forgiving one another is what will win unbelivers to the Lord.

This Psalm attracts me more on Harmony. Harmony is important because

1. It makes the Church a positive example to the world and helps draw others to the Lord.

2. It helps us cooperate as a body of believers as God meant us to, giving us a foretaste of heaven.

3. It renews and revitalizes ministry because there is less tension to sap our energy.

Living in Harmony does not mean that we will agree on everything, there will be many opinions just as there are many notes in a musical chord. But we must agree on our purposes in life- to work together for God. Our outward expression of harmony will reflect our inward harmony of purpose.

Living in Unity begins with me and my relationship with God. Do I have Unity in the relationship is the starting point of any other unity that would follow in my life. If I don't have Unity with Christ I can't have unity with my brothers and sisters. Myself gets in the way of unity. I get in the way of unity between me and others and God. I want to always be first which doesn't work with unity. It's being able to reason without letting go of my deep beliefs.

1. Just the thought of how wonderful it would be if we could all live like this verse describes. People make it so hard, but actually it isn't.

2. Dwelling together is so difficult for some people because of all the different personalities. Some hate because of race, some because of religion, some because of jealousy over material things or money, etc.. If we could just put some of these things aside, we could all love each other and live together peacefully.

3. We must read and study our Bibles and live by the Word of God. We should have a pure heart and forgiving heart and learn to love one another. If we could join together under one spirit, we would be so strong that nothing could divide us. The main key is unity, which is very hard to do. People can't even have unity in the church, so you can imagine how it is in the world.

4. Striving for unity is difficult because sometimes it conflicts against purity as you deal with people with different personalities. Humans may grow weak and let the things of this world separate them from what is right.

5. Reconciliation and unity are such high values to God because he has told us more than once to love one another and dwell in peace and harmony.

It is refreshing and blessings for everyone when there is unity.

As you said, "difficulties tend to divide people." Pride, beliefs, and church doctrines divide people.

We have to respect other peoples beliefs and be fair minded. Each one of us has to work out our own salvation with fear and trembling.

God wants us to be unified but we all think differently.

Reconciliation and unity were important in Jesus' teaching so that with one accord we may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 15:6

For me a key word in this passage is "brothers." There are groups that call themselves a church that do not even profess to be born into the family of God through Christ, they have no concept of the brotherhood of believers because they have never experienced it. So we can't expect to live in any sort of Christian unity with them. But for God's family, true brothers (and sisters too!) it is still hard to get along sometimes, isn't it?

It is hard because it requires sacrifice. We'd rather win the argument, or make a scene because we are slighted, or refuse to do some unnecessary thing in order to keep another brother or sister from stumbling.

But Jesus died to reconcile us to himself, and through that reconciliation he reconciled us to each other also. When we refuse to humble ourselves and esteem each other better than ourselves as the Bible teaches, we are acting in direct opposition to thereconciliation Jesus made possible for us, and to the example he gave us.

It is the shortness of this psalm that amazes me. It is short but contains a powerful message in it. It all revolves around one point - unity. The message is crystal clear that it will be rewarding when people stay in united.

There are many reasons to why it is difficult to dwell together in unity.

a) People have different opinions.

B) In malaysia, people are from different ethnic, culture, race and religion. It is difficult to share a common thing. One race is always suspicious of the other.

c) Selfish desires. Does not want other than thy to excel

d) The way government run the country. Their policies only benefit certain races.

e) lack of love for people who are not in the same class or league with thy.

f) driven by worldly goals

g) people do not trust each other

h) hatred

i) Pride

j) lack of spiritual wisdom to treat everyone as the same.

The commitment for unity includes for us to love one another - no matter how different they; not to incite hatred among each others; to be fair to everyone; running after the same goal; to prevent quarrel; to have a good understanding; and to appreciate one another's contribution.

One must have the purity of the heart to be united. There should be any malice nor hidden agenda for personal glory. If the heart is pure, one will be driven to live in harmonious way.

Reconciliation and unity are integral values in Jesus; teaching because they becomes the guide for Christians to love one another as they love themselves.

I love the part about dwelling together in unity. The tie that breaks or bonds His followers is very complex.I must do my part in becoming more like God through loving my neighbor and forgiving 70 X 7 and continue to work on my self, daily Bible reading, prayer, and listening not to the world but to Jesus. Unity and purity collide. Reconcilitation is bring us back into focus on God and unity focuses on drawing strenth or energy from the life of the community, social and religious which is revived and quickened.

1) It is a blessing and such a refreshing to me because it shows me a lot that is useful for me.

2) Dwelling in unity is so difficult because there are many different types of people and have different personalities. Others may like this, while you may dislike it. Thus, we should learn to get along with everybody and love one another.

3) We will need to respect one another and try to balance out and not only help one person.

4) I believe that you will need to have unity to have purity.

5) Reconciliation and unity were important in Jesus' teaching so that because forgave us and we should always want to pleaes him.