JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 3. Exercises

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

• 4 weeks later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms exercise. These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

My own Psalms;

Oh God my hiding place.

Daily I rise to seek you and learn more of what you have for me

Teach me of Your ways and the way you would have me live

It is my desire oh God to live and dwell among You daily

Every morning I arise to pray the Lord Prayer before I say anything else

I pray that You my Heavenly Father, hallowed be thy name, that Your kingdom would come and bring Your will on earth ( which is where I am, where I dwell at this time and where my neighbor dwells)

God create in me a new heart

To think like You, to love like You and to dwell among You and Your kingdom

If these things are created in me than I will dwell in unity and love with all mankind

My heart will be pure to teach them of You and Your ways, to lead them in the way they should go, to help them to understand the importance of dwelling and building the Kingdom of God

How happy it makes me to daily dwell in the house of the Lord

To make a sound of praise to the place where You dwell and how this changes the atmosphere in my life, my world and even heaven where You cause heaven to become quite so You can hear my sound, my praise

I love You oh God, how I passionately love you

My soul longs for You

Every heart beat from my heart is for You

Oh God help me always to dwell in You house

Make sure my path always leads to You

Save me Lord from my enemies

Save me from the ones that daily come into my life that are not in unity with me and that have not a pure heart towards me and the same for all my loved ones and for my brothers and sisters in Christ

Teach me Holy Spirit everyday about Jesus and who He is

Help me to become in His image and like minded

For if I am in His image and like minded then how much more will I be an answered prayer of Jesus when He asked You to give me to Him so that my soul would be safe in Him and that the image in me is seen as Himself to You, oh Heavenly Father of all heaven and earth

"Oh God, I want to drink God,

deep draughts of God.

I'm thirsty for God-alive. " Jesus it is You that is spoken here, for You are alive!

I dwell among men and I dwell among riches, but oh God You are the one with whom I want to dwell and You are better than silver or gold

I will spent my days waiting for You my Beloved

Dressing for You

Preparing a table for You and serving You from the basket of my fruit

I love You oh God, I love You

Copyright

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

GENTLENESS ( Just something the Lord gave me as I was meditating with Him )

We cannot always oblige,

but we can always speak obligingly,

Wouldn't it be nice if we could find other things,

as easily as we find fault?

A word of kindness is seldom spoken in vain,

while witty sayings are easily lost

as the pearls slipping from a broken string.

No man has it so good but that two or three words

can dishearten, and there is no calamity

but a few right words can hearten.

Speak not evil one of another.

To listen well is as to talk well

and is essential to all true conversation.

Speak gently-- it is better far

to rule by love than fear,

speak gently-- let no harsh words

mar the good we might do here.

I have wept in the night for the shortness of sight

that to somebody's need made me blind;

But I never have yet felt a twinge of regret

for being a little too kind

As we have opportunity, let us do good unto all men.

Be kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving

one another, even as God for Christ's

sake has forgiven us.

Quote from Cj Your psalm is so beautiful Thank you. Tabatha

Meditation on Ps. 1

I have a little apple tree in the front yard which I planted almost 20 years ago. It is no higher than 5 1/2 - 6 ft tall and is bent eastward. My husband put a water source closer to this wee tree this spring. The result was a tree chock full of wonderful apples. Those little branches held almost a dozen apples each.

Oh, God, may I stay by the streams of the water of Your Word. May I drink deeply from them; delight in them daily. Produce Your fruit in me, Lord Jesus. Amen

Psalm 15 has really touched my heart. It gives me the guidelines for living a blameless life. This comes only when we follow the instructions given by God.

As we grow in our relationship with our Redeemer, we develop a desire to live by His standards. The depth of our eternal relationship with Him can often be measured by the way we reflect His standards in our daily activities.

Wow, you all have written some beautiful thoughts for this week's activity. I'm blessed to read them

I am thinking of Pastor Ralph who he is leaving for Kenya tomorrow morning. The Psalm about brothers living together in unity fits what he will be doing so well. These men will be coming from many different churches and communities to learn from Pastor Ralph and take what they receive at the conference back home to their communities and beyond. They will be spending a great deal of time together.

Let's pray that these precious brothers will not only be renewed and challenged during these five days, but that they will also experience a special fellowship and unity together in Christ. Let's pray that Pastor Ralph will be renewed and blessed as well and that their hearts would be bonded together in one accord as Pastor Ralph helps equip these men to reach their communities for Christ. Let's pray that God will watch over their way (Psalm 1) as they travel. Lord, we ask you to do something special in Kenya this week, beyond anything that even Pastor Ralph can imagine. In Jesus' name, Amen.

I took up a challenge to memorize the Psalm 15. I read it many times, I wrote it down in a paper and decorated it with stickers. I read it aloud before I go to sleep. Have been doing this for the last few days whenever I have the free time. Unfortunately, I still have not master it. I can get the first two verses and from then on I keep on missing some of the words. As I read half way through,mind wonders somewhere else. But given more time, I believe I will be able to stay it without looking at the bible. I plan to read it aloud infront of my bible study group members. (I will update with the outcome).

Cheers

have a good weekend everyone.

I love singing and sing the psalms is a unique song which gives all praise and glory to our Creator and life substainer. When I sing I not only sing my praises to God, but I receive so much more. It carries me right to the throne of God. I sing to God who cares less how my voice sounds, but adores the worshiping I sing for.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to pray each Psalm that we study, putting myself, the church, and other Christians in the place of the pronouns in the Psalm and make them personal prayers to the Lord who hears our prayers and responds with His answers to them according to His will. Amen!

After reading all of your exercises on these Psalms from many of the members of these Bible studies, I believe that these studies are excellent examples of the unity of believers and we have learned a lot from them. We all come from different backgrounds and from different churches--some denominational and some nondenominational churches--but we have all put our differences behind us as we have studied the Psalms together (via the internet) and have commented on the things we have learned from them; and all the comments made so far seem to fit the doctrines and beliefs in God's Word; and so we are united together the way all the Christian churches should be--in and under God's Word to us as His people. It's too bad that the Church Universal has not done the same, namely to study Biblical doctrine together and to agree over most things and to praise and honor God for them; but also to "agree to disagree" at times as well. This will most-likely not happen until the Second Coming of the Lord when we are all with Him throughout eternity, but these Bible studies have shown me that it can happen among many different, yet united believers in the Lord Jesus as a group of God's people who are studying and learning God's Word. Let's keep exhorting and encouraging each other so much and so importantly in the studies of God's Word together! Amen!

• 4 months later...

Psalm 133

Oh Heavenly Father

How excellent it is when your children come together on one accord to give honor and praise to your Holy name. Oh Father, if only we can totally commit and consecrate ourselves to your service like the precious oil poured on Aaron's head, running down his beard, saturating us with your Holy Spirit. It would be like the dew of Hermon, a blessing from you Dear Father. I pray that you will bestow your blessings on our works evermore, and that we will be fruitful in our labors for you Dear Lord. Amen

• 1 month later...

I AM ENJOYING THE PSALMS AND I HAVE SO MUCH MORE UNDERSTANDING AND WISDOM THAN BEFORE. I HAVENT DONE THIS AS YET, BUT I PLAN ON TRYING TO MEMORISE PSALMS 133 AND MAKING IT A PERSONAL PRAYER FOR MY FAMILY AND COMMUNITY BECAUSE THERE IS SUCH A NEED FOT UNITY IN MY HOUSEHOLD AND THE AREA WHERE I LIVE. I HAVE ENJOYED READING THE POSTS FROM THE LAST BIBLE STUDY ON THE PSALMS AND THEY ARE FILLED WITH NUGGETS OF WISDOM WHICH I HAVE BEEN GLEANING FROM..GOD BLESS...GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...

From the Gospels I learned that the psalms were constantly on the lips of Christ, in prayer and in teaching.

In praying the psalms today, I pray and sing with and through him, I make his prayer my own. The psalms express the range of human emotions: praise, thanksgiving, sorrow, supplication, hope and despair, shared by all at different times. Psalm 1 gives me the true happiness,

Pax

• 3 months later...

Lesson 3, Exercise

Paraphrase of Psalm 15 - Prayer

Lord, what characteristics and values are needed

by a righteous person to be in Your presence?

Help me to be a righteous woman

who does what is right and speaks the truth;

Who does not slander, gossip, harm,

Or discredit neighbor or friend.

One who does not tolerate evil or

associates with those who are;

But who honors those who fear You.

Who will always be a woman of my word.

And who does not use money

to take advantage of others.

In doing these things, I will be able to stand forever.

Amen.

• 1 month later...

I read Psalm12:5-8 to a friend and sister in Christ over the phone.

But the Lord says,

"I will now rise up,

because the poor are being hurt.

Because of the moans of the helpless,

I will give them the help they want."

The Lord's words are pure,

like silver purified by fire,

like silver purified seven times over.

Lord, you will keep us safe;

you will always protect us from such people.

But the wicked are all around us;

everyone loves what is wrong.

As I was talking to my friend I said:

"God has promised that He will protect us from those that would want to hurt us. The Lord's words are true and He keeps His promises." I told her that we have not because we ask not. So I said to her that it was revealed to me that, "I have not because I ask not." Because the Lord has offered to help us if we ask Him for help...

• 1 month later...

[/quote

My children are all grown up, but I still shared this Psalms 15 with them, hoping it would encourage them with their children, my grandchildren. The world is so focused on doing wrong, so what you put into your children is important because if you put it in them, no matter how hard they try to do what is wrong, they will always be able to find their way home. But, if you never put in in there, then where is home.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is my prayer of love unto my Lord during service: I want to thank you Lord for allowing us this privilege to worship you. Please accept this offering of praise letting it come unto your throne on the wings of your angels. I pray that as our hearts meld into the Word our spirits would be free to cry out Holy, Holy, Holy. And this would gladden your heart with the giving back to you all Honor & Glory & Love. Amen

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 1 has always been a favorit psalm of mine. I memorized this in sunday school and have kept it in my heart. "Like a tree planted by the rivers of waters that bringeth forth fruits in its season" this is what I want for my life in Christ to be fruitful for him. To serve Him all my days and then I will know htat I'm truly blessed!. I surrender my life to the only wise God that can plant me in his vineyard where I can be used by him. Pray that I will continue to to delight my self in God's Law.

• 2 weeks later...

I read and meditated on Psalm 15. I am to have Christ character. I am to walk blameless, I am to do right, I am to speak the truth. I am to have the integrity that will reflect my God.

• 4 weeks later...

Psalms 27 is a special Psalms for me. My sister sent this Pslams to me when I deployed. I read it day and night. When I feel down and evil try to come up against me I read it again and again. It have power behind the words. You see for me the Lord is my All and All. When I was afraid he covered me, when I was confused he directed me, when evil tried to come up againt me he kept me focus on Him. He watches over me day and night, even when I sleep he have me to rest knowing that it's ok.

God power is beyond any thing I could experience. It's wonderful to know that God is God and it is no other like my Jesus. I want to Love like he love us. It's a powerful feeling to know that He is ALL that He said He is. In Jesus Christ name I love you Lord forever and ever. Thank you just for thinking about creating little me with a big heart.

• 1 month later...

Exercise for Study 3 - To Memorize Psalm 1. This is a great Psalm to memorize, as one starts into Psalm, to experience it, to teach it (as I will in a few weeks. I've memorized it before, but need to do it again, and to begin to mediate on it, and experience it, to live it