JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 23

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

The Lord is my Shehherd...........That's Relationship!

I shal not want...............That's supply!

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures........... That's rest!

He leadeth me beside the still waters...............That's refreshment!

He restorth my soul.................. That's Healing!

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness............ That's guidance!

For His Name sake.......... That's purpose!

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...............That's testing!

I will fear no evil................That's protection!

For thou art with me..............That's Faithfulness!

Thy Rod and staff they comfort me...........That's Displine!

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies.............. That's hope!

Thou anointest my head with oil.............That's consecration!

My cup runneth over............. That's abundance!

Surley goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life............... That's blessing and hope!

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.............That's security!

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

1) In Psalm 23, it is a very comfortble and peaceful song. The overall message is about a rest and cofidence in God that the sheep experiences with a good sheperd. It says that the Lord will lead the sheep to watering holes and fresh green pasture when they had eaten off the grass in one place. Not only that, He will also protect the sheep from dangers such as wolves, lions, and bears. Moreover, he heals the sheep when they were injured and help during birthing.

Rescue the lost sheep. If a sheep wandered off, the shepherd would look for it until he found it. From these points, it really has given us the confidence that God will help us in everywayw do.

2)We can find these illustrations in Psalm 23:

a. "He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters." (Psalm 23:2) ------ He reassures me that He will provide food for us

b. "He restores my soul" (23:3a). ---- He provides restoration and refreshment

c. "He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake" (23:3b) ---- He guides us in a righteousnss way

d."Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:4) ----- He will protect us and will have assurane in fear times

e. "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows." (Psalm 23:5) --- He has provided a home for us.

f. "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever" (Psalm 23:6). ---He has promised us that we will have eternal life.

Through these verses in Psalm 23, it really encourages and builds up my confidence on my trust towards Him.

The Lord, our Shepherd, gives me all I need to sustain my life and prepare me for life eternal. He is there with me to give me security & to provide for me.

He is with us:

to provide for our physical needs

to provide for our spiritual needs

to restore us to wholeness in Him

as we walk--even in dark times, perhaps with death awaiting us...

and our enemies can see how He cares for us...

His goodness, His mercy allows us to live in His house FOREVER! Amen!

HE TAKES AND IS WITH THEM IN EVERY TRAIL OR TRUIMPH HE COMFORTS THEM IN ALL THEY DO DAYTIME AND NIGHTTIME AND WILL NEVER LEAVE THEM FOREVER!

THERE ARE ALOT OF WAYS ..HE MAKES THEM REST ,REST IS VERY IMPORTANT ,,,NO HARM CAN EVER COME TO THEM AT ALL ..HE COMFORTS THEM WITH HIS ROD AND STAFF.

According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence?

* The presence of the shepherd offers comfort to the flock. Sheep are content merely to be in the same field with their shepherd; Christians are comforted by the very presence of the Lord. This thought is especially comforting when darkness overshadows the believer. Jesus is our Door; nothing can touch our lives without touching Him first. This is a perfect picture of the shepherd. He literally becomes the living door of the sheepfold. He curls up in the door or in the entrance of a cave. He puts his body between the sleeping sheep and ravenous animals or thieves.

How many ways can you find in this psalm?

1) He makes me to lie down in green pastures;

2) He leads me beside the still waters.

3) He restores my soul;

4) He leads me in the paths of righteousness

5) For You are with me;

6) Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

7) You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;

8) You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.

9) Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, All the days of my life;

10) And I will dwell[a] in the house of the LORD, Forever.

The Shepherd stays with the Sheep throughout. He does not leave them unattended, and in so doing, he provides everything we can ever think of, ever imagine: 1 Cor 2:9 "No http://' target="_blank">eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined the things that God has prepared for those who love him."

1. He identifies with us and gives us His identity, we are no more orphans, because He is our Shepherd.

2. He makes sure that we have all that we need.

3. He gives us rest, not anywhere, but in a place of quietness and fruitful pastures

4. He refreshes our souls, ensuring that the calm of the still waters give us His peace

5. When we lie down to rest He restores us and everything we may have lost in the journey to how far that He has brought us.

6. He cleanses us so we can walk in the place where the righteous alone can walk, He actually leads us into those places, so we know that with Him, there is no condemnation, we are cleansed by the Blood. Because that was why He took on the name, Saviour, Redeemer, and for teh sake of this title, He will let us walk in that righteous place.

7. Even when we walk in the dark fearful places, He protects us, takes away our fears. He even gives us His weapons to comfort us

8. He provides a meal in abundance for us, welcoming us into that righteous place by annointing us, and He makes us settle to enjoy the feast because He has assured us that no one can touch us.

In all this, after the meal, He assures us that we will live with Him forever, because for the sake of the Name, we have access to the Father's presence, His home, where He came to take us.

We must go on that journey, and experince Him to get to the place He has prepared for us. And that journey is onlt worth taking if He, the Shepherd is with us! :rolleyes:

The Lord is our provider and we never lack. He gives us peace and security. We are protected from the raging flood of worldly desires. Adonai is the lifter of our souls and keeps us on the straight and narrow that He might be glorified.

In times of danger from the Adversary it is Yahweh who will rebuke the Devourer by His name, keeping us from the evil. We are shielded by the power of the Almighty.

We shine as His own, in a world that would care to remove us, and we light the world thereby.

As we stay under Jesus' umbrella of love, mercy and grace, we will be Him in our testimony, for all our days in this life and forevermore with Him in heaven. Amen.

Our Shepherd provides for our need- we shall not be in want, He prepares a table, His goodness and loving kindness is present all the days of our lives

Our Shepherd makes us lie down in green pastures

The shepherd quiets his sheep and gives them confidence by his continuous presence with them as he provides for them, supplying their every need, as he goes before them leading in the right paths, protecting them even in the times of uncertainty and danger, and offers to them an optimistic hope that goes beyond the immediate, to a place where he will be ever present with them. Their part is to simply trust, put their faith in him, walking where he leads. What a beautiful picture this is of what our relationship can be with the Master of all shepherds.

1. The shepherd quiets his sheep and gives them confidence by leading them safely, protecting them from harm and danger, feeding them food and water, heals their bodies, and letting them rest in peaceful surroundings.

2. The Shepherd leads, protects, heals, rescues when lost, feeds them, restores and refreshes, guides, protects, provides rest and assurance. If we can just stop and think how God does all of these things for us daily. What a mighty God he is.

He watches over them and cares and shelters them from danger. He leads them in paths of righteousness. He provides for all their needs. He comforts them from their fears. He leads the to places of safety. Even though they go through bad times He is there taking care of them giving them strenght to endure.

According to Psalm 23, the Lord our Shepherd, in this very beautiful Messianic Psalm, quiets His sheep (us) by being their (our) Shepherd so that we will not have any wants, but He will fulfill all the things we need in Himself for He already knows what we need even before we ask of Him, and He will give us all of it in abundance. Also, He quiets us, His sheep, by not only leading us to very green and abundant pastures, but also the quiet waters where He restores our souls

He makes me to lie down in green fields: these were fields where the grass was new. Grass is a plant that grows in fields. Cows and sheep eat grass. Green fields means that the sheep would find plenty to eat and would sleep easily. He leads me to waters where I can rest: this was the best water. It was probably a well, not a river.

God brought David through the shadow of death. He will do the same for us ~ if we believe in Jesus.

To restore the soul is to revive it or bring it back from its errors and wandering

The shepherd provides rest, refreshment, nourishment, fellowship, guidance, deliverance from fear, comfort, security, victory over enemies.

David gladly anticipates Gods' guidance in the future and is confident that he will continue to be a guest in God's house all the days of his life and receive His material and spiritual blessings.

The Lord our shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence by the abundant care God gives His people. STILL WATERS: Sheeps are afraid of fast flowing streams. God provision of still water has a soothing effect and calms the sheep. God refreshes his people with his quiet voice and gentle touch. When we face the dark and difficult trials of life, God our protector can lead us through the dark and difficult valleys to eternal life. God stands over us, make provisions, abundant provisions. Goodness and mercy is God's loyal love. We can enjoy life in God's presence, eternally.

According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

1. He MAKES me to lie down in green pastures.

2. He LEADS me beside the still waters.

3 He RESTORES my soul

4. He LEADS me in the paths of righteousness

5.He COMFORTS me in times of darkness

6. He PREPARES a table before me in the presence of mine enemies

7. He ANNOINTS my head with oil

8. He FILLS my cup to overflowing

9. He PURSUES me with goodness and mercy

10. He TAKES me home to be with Him forever

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6: 24-26

God is our shepherd (We are comforted to know He is there for us)

We are never in need (We are comforted to know He will not let us go without, does a father give their son a stone to eat...)

He makes me lie down in green pastures (We are comforted in the word of God)

He leads me beside peaceful waters (We are comforted with wisdom from God when things could be raging around us)

He renews my soul (We are filled with the Spirit)

He guides us along the paths of righteousness (We are directed in Godly living, through biblical teaching)

Even though we walk through the dark valley of death, we fear no harm (We are comforted with His protection)

Your rod and your staff give courage (We are comforted as God goes before us and knows what danger is coming and prepares us)

You prepare a banquet for us, while my enemies watch (God lives in us, which our enemies see making them curious to eat and drink from the same place)

You anoint my head with oil (We are anointed and trusted by God, which lifts us up)

My cup overflows (God wants the best for us, as he loves us, we we quiet in awe)

Goodness and mercy will stay close with us all the days of our lives and we will remain in the Lord's house for days without end (We are comforted in the knowledge that one day we will be with Him in heaven)

Yahweh means "My shepherd" and he provides me a pasture to rest, drink, food, and all my other needs. He leads me beside the still waters which refer to a quite stream where he restores my soul. He guides me in his righteous ways not where I would lead someone but his ways restoring my soul like a sheep that wanders his own way and Jesus gently prods him back into the fold with protection and assurance in fear. Jesus our gracious host setting us down at a picnic with food overflowing our stomachs--"my cup overflows" and he goes on to give us life eternally. Two loves for a small amount of trust and obedience. I am well satisfied with surely and goodness (God and Jesus) forever and forever.

God quiets us and gives us confidence by providing for our physical and spiritual needs, giving us rest, guiding us by his holy spirit, protecting us and assuring us with his love as we go through this life and giving us the promise of eternal life with him. When we accept Jesus into our lives and stay focused on him we will have peace and confidence even through the storms.

God provides for us in every way, for our physical, spiritual and eternal needs.

Psalm 23 is asong of peace and comfort. We are the sheep(children of God). The Lord(shepherd) keeps us safe and gives us fresh water(the word of the Lord) and keep us from danger(Satan).

"prepare a table before me"--- he has given us life and the universe to enjoy.

"guides us on the path of righteousness"----- he provides us guidance through the Bible and life experiences and provides us Jesus as a guide.

This psalm makes me feels like I am safe and secure in his arms.

According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

• He orders our steps;
  • He new our spirit;
  • He heals our iniquities;
  • He leads us in humility and meekness;
  • He delivers us;
  • He never abandons or forsakes us;
  • His discipline and power is our comfort and trust;
  • He annoints us;
  • We abide in Him forever.

Our Lord is our good shepherd; He is seen as a caring shepherd and a dependable guide. We must follow God and obey His commands. He is only our hope for eternal life and security.

I can see four ways in Psalm 23-

-a. Green pastures or meadows,

-b. Peaceful streams,

-c. Right paths,

d. Darkest valley or valley of dead.

* Our Provider: The Lord as our Shepherd provides food for His sheep & so we are never in need for anything.

* Our Leader: He leads with care & love.He is trusted by His sheep.

*Our Restorer:He restores & heals & binds up the wounds.

* Our Guide:He guides His sheep in the right path.

* Our Protector :The Shepherd calms us in times of danger & protects from all evil attacks & enemies. He is ever watchful. He does not slumber or sleep. While we are following Him we may have to go through dark canyons & valleys, but we are not to be paralyzed with fear, Instead we are to keep our eyes fixed on His rod & His staff.For we know that He will use it to protect us, even to the extent of sacrificing His life for us.

*Our Gracious Host : He lays a table before us & lets our cup overflow with abundant blessings.

* Our Eternal Security :Promise of goodness & mercy to be with us always and to dwell with Him

forever!

He assures us of our future. He fills us with hope & confidence.He gives us rest.He dispels fear & enables us to have faith on Him.The more we get to know our Shepherd the more we are able to relax & rest & trust Him.