JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 31

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

( verse 31:5 ) We say we have faith in God, but do we really trust Him? David's words, " Into your hands I commit my spirit", convey his complete trust in God . Jesus used this phrase as He was dying on the Cross--showing His absolute dependence on God the Father ( Luke 23: 46 ) Stephen repeated these words as he was being stoned to death ( Acts 7: 59 ), confident that in death he was simply passing from God's earthly care to God's eternal care. We should commit our possessions , our families, and our vocations to God. But first and foremost , we should commit ourselves completely to Him.

( verse 31 : 15 ) In saying , " My times are in your hands, " David was expressing his belief that all of life's circumstances are under God's control knowing that God loves and cares for us enables us to keep in our faith regardless of our circumstances. It keeps us from foolishly taking matters into our own hands or resenting God's timetable

1) Psalm 31:5, the phrase "into your hands I commit my spirit" means that I lay my life and burden all upon the Lord. You have totally given up your life to the Lord and allow Him to guide and do His will. Overall, it is just surrendering your life to the Lord and acknowledging him that he is the creator and we all belong to Him.

2) Thru Psalm 3:5, I have learnt that in the parrallel passage, in Luke 23:46, "then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, 'Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.' Having said this, he breathed his last." (Luke 23:46) It is clearly seen that Luke was able to breathe all his life as he has committed his life to the Lord. I strongly encourage everyone to totally surrender the Lord and serve him, you will clearly see his works working in your life.

3) In Psalm 31:15, the phrase, "my times are in your hands...." shows that the timing of the tasks that we are doing on earth is exactly what God wants us when to do it. David is telling us that if we do have "your hands committed to his spirit", "my[God's] time are in our hands". David has the strong faith in God as he can feel God's love, mercy, and the ultimate power watching and guiding him as he watch the path of life. Other other hand, not that the verse has used the plural term of "times" which refered to the specific "appointed times" in our lives. It shows that God watch over us at all times. Thus, having knowing that whatever we are doing are God's will, we will have peace in our life.

God has redeemed us. We can commit our spirits to Him--into His hand--trusting He will deliver us, save us, giving us peace. He will be our strength. There is no one other than God that I would choose to commit my spirit to.

To admit our times are in His hands is to say we know He is in control. I would rather have Him leading me according to His will for me, than to not have that peace.

David trusted God. He knew of God's great mercies, His great goodness, His marvelous kindness, His preservation of us.

"Oh love the Lord, all ye His saints" v31:23a KJV

"Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord." v31:24 KJV

What a wonderful way to end this Psalm!

Q3. (Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)? How does that statement bring peace to a person? How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

IT MEANS I GIVE YOU EVERYTHING MY LORD ..JUST TAKE IT ALL.

GOD WATCHES OVER US AND GUIDES US

THE LORD DIRECTS ARE STEPS.KNOWING NO MATTER WHAT GOD IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THER.

1). What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

`Into Your hands I commit my spirit` meant that we completely surrender our lives unto the Lord by resting our faith in the promises of God.

2). How does that statement bring peace to a person?

We have the full assurance with Christ liveth in us, He will keep us safe in peace. There is no other god who can be compared with the souvereingty that our Mighty God has.

3). How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

We have trusted in Him that He is in control of our lives. God watches over us at all times knowing that whatever we are doing are God's will, we will surely have peace and joy in our lives.

When I am able to fully give my spirit into the Lord's hands I am able to completely trust in Him. In doing thus, I am comforted in the knowledge that all is well, Jesus is in control.

In a like manner, my soul, my inner man, is at rest when even in difficult times, as the Potter is sculpting me after His will. When He takes me through, I will be the better person for it. I will be more suited for His use.

1. I surrender all to you Lord. I am resting in faith in the promises of God. Leaning solely on Him

2. It gives you peace to know that you have nothing to worry about because your life is in God's hands and He shall guide you in all things as long as you trust Him.

3. No matter what goes on in our lives, we have the assurance that while we are in His hands, we have peace to know that He will handle everything that comes along. We know that sometimes we can't handle our problems, but there is nothing too hard for God. If we put all of our trust in God, our souls should not be troubled.

"Into your hand I committ my spirit": A complete dependence on God-his life is in God's hand to do as He pleases. These words were spoken by Jesus on the cross before His death(Luke 23:46), by Stephen before his death (Acts 7:59). Knowing God is in control bring peace to a person. God does not make mistakes, so we can trust Him with all our heart.

MY TIMES ARE IN YOUR HAND: David reaffirm a complete depending on God to mold him in the way that was best. God was incontrol of David's life for deliverance. It is a great and a peaceful feeling to know we are in God's hand.

What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit"?

It means I completely trust Him.

How does that statement bring peace to a person?

It puts the responsiblity on God and I give up control which leads to peace because I know the God I have committed my spirit too.

How does the statement, "My times are in your hands", bring peace to the troubled soul?

Once again it puts the burden on God which brings peace because I know the God I trust.

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6: 24-26

I believe that it means you are placing your inner self into the hands of God knowing that He will keep you and protect you and that you are brought back to life in Him.

It gives us peace just know that our God is faithful and true and has the power to do all He says He will do. That we will be raised up on the last Day to live and reign forever with Jesus our Lord.

My times are in your hands says that all of my days are planned out and writtened out in God's book before the first one comes to be and that I have faith in Him to see me through them one at a time. Day by day He will lead me and keep me safe from the plagues that the devil will hurl at me. In God I am safe aned secure and in Christ Jesus I am promised I will rise in newness of life.

To say into thy hands I commit my spirit means,I am trusting God to keep me safe and to take my spirit to be with Him. It brings peace to know God is there with you all the way and the evil one cannot touch you.

My times are in your hands brings peace because that verse tells us God is in control of everything,every detail of our lives and we can trust Him to be there for us,help us and to not put more on us than we can bare,Praise God!

I think all those questions are inter-related

:rolleyes:

Q3. (Psalm 31)

What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

To me this means that I can rest and have peace as I have faith in the promises of God--especially eternal life with Him. It also means that whatever happens in life can be used according to God's plan for us and in that, we can find peace.

How does that statement bring peace to a person?

It brings peace in knowing that God is in control and if we commit our spirit to Him, he will take care of us. We are His children and He loves us.

How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul?

Whatever is happening is part of God's plan and by trusting in Him, we know the outcome will be good. It may not seem positive right now but it will work out to the good in the end if our faith is in Him.

To rest in the arms of God knowing and trusting him to keep us safe and joyful. Joy to me means even when losing a loved one we know where they are going, but especially knowing I shall see them again at the second ressurection.

What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

* I looked up the word commit and it said to act upon; So, if I am acting upon my commitment to God then I have surrendered my life to Him in deed not just works or words.

* It also say's " my spirit " not my soul, not my body, but my spirit why my spirit? If I do not commit my spirit to Him then there is no salvation plan truly working in my life? Deeds are working, works are working and words are working, but salvation is not working if I have not truly committed my spirit to Him. Here's why!

Remember what Jesus stated in John 3: 1-21, well this is exactly what it means to "commit your spirit"

you must be "born again" if you say it with your mouth and don't act upon in your heart and change your ways than you have not truly be born again. It is proven over and over in His word and this is what He was trying to make Nicodemus understand, this is not an earthly conversion but a spiritual one and that you can not rein in His kingdom if you can not see Him as He is and not except Him as He is.

You must be born of God and not religion. Anyone that has truly committed to Jesus has in their spirit seen Him in some light and they know that they have changed spiritually changed.

David here knew he had changed and he knew that one day because of the Son of God, a King was coming to rule and rein from the spirit and not the flesh. Jesus made this commitment from the cross so that man could make the commitment. He made a portal for us, so we would had this place in the spirit, yes even it had to been made open by the our Savior and now not only is this place just for one to truly commit every thing about them, but when we die this portal is only for the believer who will shoot up this portal through to the 3rd heaven and by pass the 2nd heaven where satan reins.

So, this is what it means to me and this is what it meant to Jesus as he talks with Nicodemus.

Jn 3:1-21

1Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2He came to Jesus at night and said, "Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him."

3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' 8The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

9"How can this be?" Nicodemus asked.

10"You are Israel's teacher," said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? 11I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven

Into Your hands I entrust my spirit. In committing to God you are putting your trust in Him. This is giving yourself over to God to do His will as with confidence you know God will use you in the best way to do His will. In doing this you you are at peace, in the knowledge you are in the best hands, doing the best work.

Psalm 31:5---- I surrendered my life to the Lord, the good , the bad, and the ugly.He is the creator(father) and we are his children.

Psalm3:5----- Turn over your life and spirits to the Lord. By putting faith and trust in the Lord, he keeps us safe and guides us when we fall.

Psalm 31:15------ God is in charge We are to do his will through our lives.

By doing so, we will have peace and joy.

(Psalm 31) What does it mean to say to the Lord, "Into your hands I commit my spirit" (31:5)?

Whatever the circumstances, whatever the outcome, let His will be done for in whatever happens, I will always be find - the Lord my God is with me and it matters not for I am right with Him.

How does that statement bring peace to a person? I say this even when I'm taking off in a plane or if the car in front of me loses control, etc. To me it is total surrender to the will of God.

How does the statement, "My times are in your hands" (31:15), bring peace to the troubled soul? Five statements of faith:

1. God is who He says He is;
  2. God does what He says He does;
  3. I am who God says I am;
  4. Through Christ I can do ALL things; and
  5. His word is alive and active in me.

"Into your hands I commit my spirit", means to let go and give your spirit or life to God. It would bring peace by releasing control to God. "My times are in your hands", is saying to God that I trust your plan for my life. That would unburden a troubled soul so that they could have peace. When fear overwhelms that's when we have to concentrate on our trust, confidence and faith in God.

It means complete trust in God. Jesus used this phrase as He was dying on the cross- showing His absolute dependence on God the Father. Stephen repeated these words as he was being stone to death, confident that in death he was simply passing from God

• 2 weeks later...

Saying to the Lord," Into your hands I commit my spirit" means that we rest in faith in the promise of God. This statement brings peace to a person by assuring them that God is in control.

The statement " My times are in your hands" brings peace to a troubled soul by helping them accept the fact our lives are ordained by God. It demonstrates an active trust in God who loves us and orders our lives according to His plan for us.

"Into your hands I commit my spirit" brings peace by committing ourselves to God and letting him have control of our life.

"My times are in your hands" brings peace to the troubled soul by acceptance of situations (for whatever reason we are experiencing them) and knowing that God is in control.