JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Resting in the Lord

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

Resting in God is "Trusting " in faith putting all things in His hand and leaving them there.Fretting and worrying will not change the situation. letting go of controling the situation.

I seek God's peace by stopping what ever I am doing and follow the scripture that says, "Be still for I am God.' I then quietly pray and draw close to God until I hear His voice giving me instructions as what to do. He usually tells me to just let go He will take care of the problem!

( Hebrews 4:8-11 )God wants us to enter His rest, it is peace with God now and eternal life on a new earth later . We do not need to wait for the next life to enjoy God's rest and peace, we may have it daily now Our daily rest in the Lord will not end with death; but will become eternal rest in the place Christ is preparing for us. ( John 14 1-4 )

If Jesus has provided for our rest through faith , why must we "make every effort to enter that rest"?He has given it to us, we need to stop struggling and be still in Him, He will fill you with His peace if we just wait on Him. ( Isa. 40:31 )

To rest in God is to be content where we are knowing He is in control.

The rest of verse 10 says "I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." He said twice "I will be exalted." He will be. We cannot comprehend our God fully. We need to step back, believe all He has said & take joy in Him regardless of our circumstances. He is in control!!

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

DON'T BE UPSET ..DON'T WORRY .. JUST GIVE ALL YOU HAVE TO GOD ..LET GOD HANDLE IT ALL!

JUST SAY LORD THIS IS WAY TO BIG FOR ME ..YOU HANDLE IT!

1) I believe that "rest in God" means that we can totally turn upon God and seek him and totally rely on God as he will provide a way for us. Just as in Matthew 7:7 - Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and he will open doors for you. Having the total trust and focus on Him is very important. I strongly believe that God has a plan for everyone. No matter how smart or rich are you, or what race or color, to God we are all equal. We are all his precious sons and daughters.

2) I will pray to God and ask the Lord for wisdom and guidance. I will read His word. I will share for burdens to other believers and try to help me. But ultimately, it is in God's hands. Pray to him and he will answer as he promised us in Matthew 7:&7.

We need to dress up in the whole armor of the Lord and that we will rest in Him and trust Him to give the victory in His time and in His way. Our true source of happiness must rise above the circumstances and situations of life and it must come to rest in no other place but God Himself.

We must learn to cast our burdens on the Lord and trust Him to take care of matters in His way and at His time. Our duty is to trust Him and He will "bring it to pass", that is, He will take care of it, in His own time!

Those who trust in the Lord need never fear that He will fail them. In the end, faith in God always pays out the greatest dividends!

Keep your eyes on the sky, wait patiently for the Lord to finish His plan for the ages and know that the best is yet to come!

WHAT DO YOU THINK IT MEAN TO REST IN GOD?

DO NOT FRET!!!

We are not to be inactive but to depend actively on the living God. Ex: If I am trusting God for a job, I have to be actively searching for one. We want God to do everything and we set back and reap. We have to be an active sower. The Psalmist gives us a commandment to cease from worry. When it seem that life is overwhelming, we need to seek God and rest in God. When life get to this point let us not be the reason for the dozen of things coming at us. It is a comfort to rest in the Lord a not fret. The not fret part has to be a effort on our part becasue it does not come easy. We try and take care of things our self. Remember, We always want to put God first, seek Him first, do our part, and rest in the Lord. We wait patiently for God to act with us being active.

Rest is eternal rest and love because I control nothing and God does. I try to find a quiet place with today's busy world sometimes it is only 5 minutes, but I spend it with God.

Rest in God is to give Him all of your cares and worries, let Him handle them while having the faith to believe that He will, no matter the outcome. From the ability to successfully do this comes a shalom that passes all understanding. Not just peace but, SHALOM. This is the word that Jesus would have used.

1. "Rest" in God means to trust totally in Him. Learn to lean and depend on Him, because threre is nothing that He can't handle.

2. Whenever I have issues, I just pray for guidance and ask God to direct my footsteps, and He gives me peace to "rest" in Him. I live on His promises. He said He would never leave me or forsake me and I am assured of this.

Giving the day over to God before it starts is aways good. When things start to go to wrong, stop, be still and give it over to God (it has been when I have tried to do things on my own, that things only got worse instead of better) God wants to be included in all parts of our lives, not just the good things.

:rolleyes:

Q5.

After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God?

To rest in the Lord means to truly and consciously turn our life over to God with full confidence that He will take care of us. This means He will be with us no matter what concerns, problems, frustrations , etc. may enter our lives. We can have true peace knowing God is stronger than any trial which we may encounter in our lives.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

I take time to communicate with God and ask for his wisdom and peace. He never lets me know down! :P

It means to put all our hope, faith, dreams, ambitions, into God's hands for He alone is our provider. If we always get caught up in our wants, we can never be at peace because we will always be trying to do it our selves instead of depending on God. Our true peace come when we accept that God is our helper and provider and will give us all our needs and maybe not our wants we must realize the differance.

I start with prayer daily and with my moring meditations, this gets me in step and then I continue through the day to try and remind myself to ask my self if I am getting caught up in wants instead of need. I also try and always thank God for any small blessing that come my way no matter what it might be. Keeping God first in your life and thoughts will tend to give you the peace that comes wiht understanding.

After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God?

* God lead me to look at the word, "peace"

NT:1515

irene (i-ray'-nay); probably from a primary verb eiro (to join); peace (literally or figuratively); by implication, prosperity:

KJV - one, peace, quietness, rest, + set at one again

* Look at the word prosperity ( to prosper) this brings me to;

III John 2

" Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers."

NT:1514

eireneuo (i-rane-yoo'-o); from NT:1515; to be (act) peaceful:

KJV - be at (have, live in) peace, live peaceably.

NT:1517

eirenopoieo (i-ray-nop-oy-eh'-o); from NT:1518; to be a peace-maker, i.e. (figuratively) to harmonize:

KJV - make peace.

These meanings above offer us a sure way of living in the rest (peace) of God, also as it shows again in III John 2 our souls will prosper and we will be in good health.

How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you?

* Again I have learned to get peace in it, take a stance in God's word and promises concerning the matters with the Armour of God and create that shield of faith I talked about earlier and wait upon the Lord.

The Bible says that before anything comes to us (believers) it must first go through God. When you read the Word and know His character you can "rest" in Him. There is sadness but we can know that He has allowed it for His purpose.

PRAY!!

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

To rest in God means to trust him, to have faith that he is there in whatever comes our way. He will be there to carry us through if need be, as in "Footprints in the Sand". When things get out of control I have to take time to be alone and pray to God, remember his promises and read his word.

"To Rest in God" - to me it means that I am not alone and don't have to try and control everything that is happening around me. As I know God, I also know that I can give up everything to Him and he will take care of me. I don't have to worry anymore about what may or may not happen, the will of my God is stronger than my own and stronger than that of anyone else. There is nothing that can be given to me that I cannot handle with the help of my Lord. This gives me great peace!

Q5. After you've studied the psalms in this chapter, what do you think it means to "rest" in God? Resting in God is allowng Him to be who He is and accepting who we are in Christ. We must let God be God and trust that everything is totally within his control.

How do you seek God's peace when you have a dozen things coming against you? Prayer, meditation, I pray in the spirit and ask God to to help me give all things to Him and to help me get out of way and let Him be God, in the name of Jesus!

• 2 weeks later...

"Rest" in God means to acknowledge He is in control. We are to commit are cares and worries to the Lord, leaving them in His hands.

I seek God's peace when a have a dozen things coming against me by asking Him to help me just make it through the day.

1. I will quieten my inner person before the Lord & take my hands off in surrender & rest in God's presence by allowing Him to put His mighty hands on me! Rest means to surrender my fear,situation,circumstances & problems into the Mighty hand of God & trust Him to act on my behalf.That means there's no need for me to plan my own strategies & schemes after I've committed the matter to God.

2. I seek God's peace first of all by focussing my mind & heart as to who God is by begining to worship Him.I also read aloud the promises in God's Word.These promises makes me feel safe & secure & increases my faith in my God!I will speak out these promises in the midst of the darkest circumstances & cling onto them till the Lord shows mercy & sends help..'.....so our eyes look to the LORD our God, till he shows us His mercy'. (Ps 123:2b)

To rest in God is to still yourself before Him, express complete dependence on our Lord and Saviour, to allow Him to lead us, guide us, protect us, heal us, rescue us, to receive His refreshment and peace on our lives. To rest in Him is not a minimal feel good thing - it is giving yourself wholly to Him. Prayer, studying the Word and being still before the Lord brings God's peace upone us despite what is happening in the world around us. Despite how busy we get we MUST make getting into His Word and being in His presence as a priority to refresh and renew our spirits.

Resting in God means giving my life to Him and trusting that He will deliver on His promises. Or letting God be God in my life. I go to God every day and give it to Him -- good, bad or in between. I do not let problems or troubles distract me. I go to prayer and give them to God and trust Him and I don't worry about things.

• 3 weeks later...

Rest....what do you do when you rest? Your total weight is relaxed on the bed, your mind is slowing down; your breathe easy. God is the same-put my whole weight of what is on my heart and mind on Him and let Him take control. I can put my mind at ease and know that God is in control. God can do anything.