JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 7. Exercises

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

• 1 month later...
Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

PLAY SKILLFULLY UNTO THE LORD

PSALM 150

Often we think of " praising the Lord " to include only singing or a set time in a worship service when all present join in audible praise to the Lord with words of adoration and praise. But the bible also teaches that we should praise the Lord with MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS.

What a joyous thing to be able to sit down to a piano, or to blow a horn, or strum a guitar to the glory of God. Whether in private or in the congregation... it is PLEASANT in the ears of the Lord!

How many in our congregation have taken music lessons in years gone by and now have instruments stored in closets and garages? Remember the parable of " THE TALENTS "? Those who USED their talents found them multiplying, but those who hid their talents lost them. Do you have a talent that you are not using? Use it!.... or lose it! Math. 25: 14-30 ).

Some say, " I'm to rusty to play in the church now." You will get no less rusty until you begin to USE your talent. Better to bring your instrument, keep the volume low and make a few mistakes until the Lord perfects your talent through your faithfulness than to procrastinate indefinitely and cheat the Lord of your praise!

In Psalm 150 we see all manner of instruments that the people were exhorted to use in praise unto the Lord, including stringed instruments, organs, trumpets,harps,cymbals, and drums.

Are we, as followers of the Creator of the universe, to stand back and offer no sweet music unto Him from OUR creativity? We have been wonderfully and delicately made: so made that we can form harmonious chords and delicate scales! Don't let that God-given ability and talent waste away. This day of professional musicians, T.V., radio,steros, and CD's, has nearly robbed us of the enjoyment of PARTCIPATING in making music!

You don't know how to play an instrument? Then CLAP YOUR HANDS!...... SING UNTO THE LORD!

It's Scripturural!

I taught this at my home bible study.

In reviewing & meditating on Ps. 46 I am blown away by God! I am reviewing my notes in my old KJV Bible.

"God is our refuge & strength, " (He protects us & gives us His strength)

"a very present help in trouble. " (He is with us IN our troubles--the times we feel as though we are between a rock & a hard place.)

"Therefore"--(because God is our refuge, our strength & our help) "will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof." (There is trouble, for sure--we often see upheavals in nature. Living in California all my life, I have made it through quite a few earthquakes! Much reason to fear during one of those!! So, this is my Calif. psalm!)

v11 The Lord of Hosts is with us, the God of Jacob is our refuge. (If God is for us, who/what can be against us? Romans 8:31b.)

All glory to You, God!

• 2 weeks later...

God is my resting place. I never understood about this simple task that God wanted me to do. He is my clef covering over me and helping me at the same time. Praise God.

For me Psalm 23 has really touched my soul. God is seen as a caring shepherd and a dependable guide. We must follow God and obey His commands. He is our only hope for eternal life and security.

When we allow God, our shepherd to guide us, we have contentment. When we choose to sin and go our own way, however, we can not blame God for the environment we create for ourselves. Our shepherd knows the

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sorry, I didn't mean to enter my song twice but don't know how to delete the second time entirely from this posted window? Many times I do much better spending time with the Lord and worshiping Him then I do trying to get my computer to do what I want it to do. Does anyone else out there have this same problem? What can you tell me that would help me with this problem, besides throwing the computer away (which is too expensive a thing to do for me at the moment)?

I guess one more experience this whole Psalms Bible Study has taught me, at least at this moment, is to rely on God to help me over these problems I have in my life and not any mechanical things such as computers!!!!!! But I still need my computer to study these Bible studies so I guess I'll have to rely on my old (mechanical) computer for at least something besides getting my email!!!!! But I need God to be much more important (actually NUMERO UNO) in my life and this old computer to be way down on my list of important things to rely upon for me, like maybe #99th on my list? I'm not sure exactly what Psalm I'm writing about my experience right now but there are plenty of Psalm verses that tell us to put God first and foremost in our lives--I'm just not sure which one speaks of what to do with old computers that don't do what you want them to do?

Anyway, God bless you all!!!!! Don W

• 2 months later...

Psalm 16 meditation. I reflected on my relationship with God. I looked back over my life and all of the times that God has kept me safe from foolish actions on my part. He is my Lord and apart from Him, I can do no good or anything. As we have been studying these psalms, I have gained so much insight. Many of David's psalms fortell the coming, death and resurrection of Christ. Psalm 16 as well as some of the others we have studied may very well have been written by Christ. Many seem to parallel, Jesus's victories and also His suffering. They also give me encouragement and confidence as I study these psalms and the life of David. I can see where God has assigned me my portion and my cup and has made my lot secure. I have a secure inheritance, death no longer has any sting for me, because I have the assured promise of my Lord and Savior that he is at my right hand. As with the thief on the cross beside Jesus, I have been assured of my place at His side in my Father's kingdom. My body rests secure, my heart is glad and my tongue is forever singing praises to my God, He has made my heart glad as I bask in His Holy Presence. Like David, my life may be full of turmoil, but I know the plans God has for me, and my eyes and my heart will not turn to the left or to the right, but stay firmly fixed on my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

• 2 months later...

I HAVE BEEN MEDITATING ON PSALS 23 A LOT MORE THAN USUAL LATELY. BEFORE, IT USED TO BE A PSALM THAT I JUST RATTLED OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, BUT LATELY HAS BECOME SO REAL TO ME AS I HAVE BEGUN TO SEE HIM AS THE TRUE SHEPHERD OF MY SOUL , LEADING ME ON THE RIGHT PATHWAY AS OPPOSED TO ME CHOOSING MY OWN PATHWAY AND NOT TRUSTING HIM. I CAN HONESTLY SAY I CAN SEE HIM AS THE ONE PERSON I WANT TO FOLLOW ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE. I DIDNT EVEN REALISE BEFORE THIS STUDY THAT I WASNT EVEN FOLLOWING HIS PLANS AS MUCH AS I WAS FOLLOWING MY OWN AGENDA. THANK YOU, PASTOR RALPH, FOR THIS STUDY..GLORY.

• 1 year later...

For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others. Psalm 121 is the what my heart have been at peace with this week. Just knowing that when you are feeling down and don't know are can't see your way out you can just look up. Looking up takes the focus of looking down. Knowing that as God look down he pick us up. He is the only one that should be focusing on looking down that way he sees when we His children are falling are may have already fell He reached down and pick us up as we began to look to him for guidance. I thank you God for giving me the chance to look up knowing that all my help comes from you. In Jesus Christ name I thank God for his peace that is beyond understanding

• 1 month later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms

What I did - As the various Psalms in this section challenged us to do - I quieted my spirit, and got alone with God in prayer and meditation. Allowing the Lord to speak to my heart. I remember a similar time some weeks ago when I did this was in a quiet place on a secluded walking trail overlooking a beautiful Lake, Lake Wallowa, in Northeastern Oregon. I journaled as I meditated and prayed, allowing the Lord to speak, as the breeze moved through the treetops along the trail, as I viewed the beautiful lake below me. It was a very peaceful and quieting time.

• 9 months later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

One of the song that ring in my spirit when I need to wait on the God is they that wait on the shell renew their strenght they shell monut up with wing of a eagle and sore they run and not be worried they run and never faint. This is the song that someone wrote and he ring in my spirit when I need help or worry about something

• 4 weeks later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

Psalms 23, He leads me beside still waters, He restores my soul. Everything that I might every have need of or desire is found in my Father.

• 3 weeks later...

In psalm 62, the psalmist declares that his soul finds rest in God and God alone. God is his refuge. He says that God is mighty and that brings him comfort. He describes a situation where man is attacked and is weakened from the attack like a leaning wall where the enemy is just waiting for the wall to fall over. But, he

still finds rest in this mighty rock, the Lord.

• 3 months later...

Exercise.

For one of the psalms in this lesson - or another psalm with a similar theme - do one of the suggested psalms. These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I

• 2 weeks later...

I prayed Psalm 31. My soul was encouraged to remember that I can put my trust and hope in the Lord. He will protect and preserve me. His love is so great and I can rest, quiet my soul, in the Almighty.

• 11 months later...

Prayed all the psalms in this study. It was a great inspiration from the word of God to take rest in the Lord's presence despite life's trials.

Memorised a few psalms with my children . Meditated on the previous studied psalms. I took up several psalms in hymns and made a joyful noise to the Lord in singing and praises!

• 2 weeks later...

These psalms encouraged me and as i meditated on these psalms i was able surrender all my cares and anxieties to Jesus my Shepherd. i am filled with confidence that as i make the Lord my Shepherd- he guides me, protects me and leads me in His paths which are good for me. i am filled with peace and filled with joy that the Lord is with me and i shall not be in want!

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

For me I chose to listen to music and write out my Psalm of rest. 

Here it is. 

Lord As I wait on You

My heart wanes within me,

From Fears and doubts that assail me,

I know that I must trust You,

For You are in control.

I know You are my only hope 

When things aren't going my way 

I must believe that You know

What is going on down here.

For Yor are my God

And My Savior and Friend

Without You I am nothing

And can do nothing.

So I must cling to You 

Knowing You are my lifesaver

And all that I really need

For my faith relies on You.

For You sustain me

In my darkest hour

When I thought you weren't there

You weren't silently waiting 

For me to return to you

And trust you with my heart 

So I can rest in You.

God is on my side fighting for me

Even in my darkest night He is there

He is all powerful and mighty

My God can make the earth shake

Mountains tremble before Him

Yet within His temple I am safe

Within His courts I can find refuge

God will not fail me

He is an immoveable fortress, a rock

When He speaks everyone is afraid

The world dissolves with His breath

He tells me to be quiet and listen

He will be lifted among the people

My God will be praised in the world

He alone is the great God and King

He will always be with me

God is my mighty bulwark!

• 11 months later...

Psalm 131

O Lord, my heart is neither lifted up in pride, nor my eyes dwelling in vanity

I do not linger over matters that are great and beyond my comprehension

I am quiet within, like a weaned child is my soul, quietly resting and trusting

Not disquieted like an infant who constantly vies for his mother when hungry

O Israel, wait on the Lord with hope, wait now and forever more.

• 4 years later...

I am praying.

(I'm currently going through the darkest period of my life. I'm trying to claim the peace of God but that peace often slips away. We have all been here, at the bottom, not knowing what will happen, afraid and very alone. And strangely, God seems most silent when we are most suffering. He pulls away when we need Him the most.) 

"He is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble, therefore I will not fear..."  46. 

My prayer: Praise you Lord! You are my refuge so I can hide in You. I may not feel hidden but in faith I believe I'm safe. You are in me. Within me. Deep within me. Because You are sovereign, the people who are persecuting me cannot hurt me more than You permit. You will NOT let me be tested beyond what I can endure. Yet, Lord, I feel as if I'm at the limit. I don't know how much longer I can go on. I crave death. I want the suffering to end.

You are here. In me. Around me. You are not taking me home. 

Lord, take pity on me. Notice my suffering. Watch me vomit out of fear and see my hands shake. Help me conquer the fear, Lord. Show me how to NOT fear. Lord, I cannot stop the fear by myself. I need you to do this for me. I'm becoming ill over this trial, Lord, this horrible persecution -- I need you to comfort me. You promise to never leave me. You promise to be continually with me, to not desert or forsake me. You promise that the Holy Spirit will remain inside of me ... my helper. You promise to give me YOUR strength, which is infinite.

"You are my servant ... I have chosen you and not rejected you. DO NOT FEAR for I am with you. DO NOT anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Surely, I will help you." Isa 41

Lord, with all my flagging strength and the faith of a mustard seed, I beg You to make this a promise for me, right now. I beg to be Your servant. To be chosen and not rejected. I need You to show me and help me not to fear, to really understand how it is that You're with me. Lord, I confess that I've never been so anxious and afraid as I am now. My faith isn't strong enough to have peace. Strengthen me, Lord.  Enlarge my faith. Prove to me that You are God. MY GOD. 

I don't want my prayers to be self-talk. I want you to listen, dear Lord. I know You are God. I know You are all-powerful and mighty. I know that nothing happens outside of Your will. I know You are good. I am trying to believe You love me and only want what is best for me. I praise You and thank You, with the faith I still have, for how You will get me through this to the other side. 

Help me Jesus. I need You now. Right now. Lord!!! I cannot help but to fear and be anxious. I cannot control this. I need Your help. SURELY YOU WILL HELP ME. For certain, You will help me.

Help me believe Your promises. Forgive my unbelief.

As I do the rest of my morning devotions, I ask that You not only speak to me Your words of comfort and hope, but that You end the fear within me and take care of this situation. Oh, Lord, please end this. I pray for victory. To be exonerated. For I am innocent.

Amen.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Lesson 7. Exercises