JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Psalm 22. Comparisons

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

Psalm 22 paralleled the events of Jesus' crucifixion.

Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself?

I know that Jesus understood Psalm 22 was a prophetic reference to Him.

Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words?

I do believe that the Spirit inspired David to pen these words, though his interpretation of these words brought him comfort in those days.

• 2 weeks later...
Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion? Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself? Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words?

The suffering Jesus thus described His miserable state. In graphic terms He tells of His extremity of agony and His extremity of weakness. The pain of the cross was bitterest pain; the weight of the body, suspended by the nailed hands and feet, violently strained the whole frame. It was almost dislocation of each bone; every joint was wrenched. But still no bone may suffer fracture. A clear type announced their soundness, and wondrously was the type fulfilled. The picture shows the whole frame dissolving; it retains no firmness, no consistency; it utterly yields and flows away in weakness, As wax melts, softens, and offers no resistance to subduing heat, so the heart lay prostrate beneath subduing misery. What is so weak and brittle as the clay of the potter baked and dried up by fire? So the fire of God's wrath brought down to nothingness the Sufferer's strength. The parched mouth showed that the vital fluids were dried up, and death usurped uniturbed dominion.

In all His anguish Jesus realizes His Heavenly Father's hand. This is your doing. I sink into the dust of death. But Your hand thus lays Me low. Jesus thus dies, because His people were thus sentenced; and He thus mounts the cross to die their death, that He might bear to the uttermost their curse. He mercifully selects a term to show how exactly He bore their penalty. The sentence said, " Unto dust you shall return." Jesus calls God to witness. " You have brought Me into the dust of death."

This wonderful passage establishes beyond all controversy that none but Jesus is the subject of this Psalm. To no one else can these terms apply. In Him they receive entire and exact fulfillment. Another prophets writes, " They shall look upon Me whom they have pierced." The history relates the very fact. No ground is left on which unbelief can place its foot. Let us give thanks, knowing that by these wounds we are saved, by these strips we are healed. The very garments of our suffering Lord are here foretold; The seamless texture of His upper vest; the mode in which they are distributed; the Roman soldiers utterly without knowledge of this scripture, devoid of all intention to accomplish, worked them out to the very letter. It is a wonderous word, " These things also the soldiers did."

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion? Do you think Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself? Why do you think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words?

1) Obviously, it is a parrallel story with the Jesus' crucifixion. It both shows the extent of suffering that God had to go through. In both passage, you are able to see a graphic on how much pain that he had to suffer and the details on how he is being crucified.

2) I believe that Jesus understood Psalm 22 as referring to himself.

3) Because God wanted us to know that how much Jesus had suffered for us and want us to know how much Jesus care for us. He has shed his blood to save us from going to hell. Our sins are washed away by his precious blood.

It's amazing how the Psalm does parallel Jesus' suffering on the cross.

I think Jesus knew this Psalm was referring to Him.

I think the Spirit inspired David to write these words to give us a word picture of how Jesus suffered, and what He might have been thinking as He expeienced this on the cross that day.

Yet, He chose to die for us. What great love!!

IT WAS IN REFERENCE TO JESUS.

DAVID DID IT TO GIVE A RECOUNT OF HOW JESUS DIED ON THE CROSS AND SUFFERED FOR OUR SIN

SO WOULD KNOW THAT JESUS DIED FOR OUR SONS.

Q4. (Psalm 22) What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

He was scorned, mocked, despised, rejected, ridiculed by the rulers and people of his day, his soul was heavy with sorrow, he was thirsty, crucified and the people argued over his garment.

Yes. Even though he was in human form he still referred in his teachings to his betrayal and crucifixion in such scriptures as:

Mat 17:22-23 And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Mat 20:18-19 Behold, we go up to Jerusalem: and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, And shall

deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Mat 26:2 Ye know that after two days is the feast of the passover, and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.

To help us see the continuity of God

I think that they are almost identical, as you broke them down in the study guide I see even more similarties thatn whenI just readd it for my self.

I believed that Jesus knew that the psalm was indeed about Him and He told the desciples as they went toward Jerusalem what would happen to Him but they didn't understand what He was saying.

I believe the Spirit used Him to fortell or the Misiah andwas giving those who would understand a way to discern who the Misiah would be. They were to see through the scriptures the full fillment of them and recognize Jesus as their Lord. It was also for us who come after that we could read and believe in Him and recieve the same blessing ever lasting life.

Being God the Son and the Word, Jesus, by the Holy Spirit, inspired David to prophesy His perfect sacrifice, with all of the horrific details in order to confirm Himself.

From before the fall of Adam, to His bodily death and resurrection, until His return and beyond, the Father has a plan and Jesus is the implement. The entire bible is the plan and as it carefully unfolds before our very eyes it is good to remember that God is in control. Always has been and always will be. Therefore, David did what the Spirit told him to do, not knowing that he was speaking of the Messiah. The message should have been clear to the Jews when the Gospel came but sadly, between David and Jesus, their hearts became hardened, their ears deafened, their eyes blinded. So now, all is written and at that appointed time, all will see what believers know, Jesus Chrsit is the Messiah.

Q4. (Psalm 22)

What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

• Jesus was despised and rejected by men
  • Men mocked Him and said for Him to save Himself if he was God
  • Those in authority conspired against Him
  • Jesus was overwhelmed with sorrow
  • Jesus was thirsty
  • Jesus was crucified
  • Lots were cast for His clothing

Yes, I think Jesus always understood God's plan as Jesus is God and knows all.

Perhaps this was a way of leading people to recognize the Messiah when He came. This was all part of God's plan for redemption.

Psalm 22 speaks of despised and scorned, mocked allowing the Lord to "rescue" him, bulls surround him and roaring lions, and being poured out like water--my heart has turned to wax, melted away, strength is dried up and his tongue sticks to the mouth, lay me in the dust pierced my hands and my feet and divided my garments casting lots for them. This lament is about Son of David but in reality it is about the Messiah.

What similarities do you see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion?

* In reading what Pastor Ralph has written already, I couldn't answer any other way!

"But I am a worm and not a man,

scorned by men and despised by the people." (22:6) "He was despised and rejected by men,

a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering.

Like one from whom men hide their faces

he was despised, and we esteemed him not." (Isaiah 53:3)

"All who see me mock me;

they hurl insults, shaking their heads:

'He trusts in the LORD;

let the LORD rescue him.

Let him deliver him,

since he delights in him.'" (22:7-8) "He will be handed over to the Gentiles. They will mock him, insult him, spit on him, flog him and kill him." (Luke 18:32-33)

"The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, 'He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, the Chosen One.'" (Luke 23:35)

"Many bulls surround me;

strong bulls of Bashan encircle me.

Roaring lions tearing their prey

open their mouths wide against me." (22:12-13) "Indeed Herod and Pontius Pilate met together with the Gentiles and the people of Israel in this city to conspire against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed." (Acts 4:27)

"I am poured out like water,

and all my bones are out of joint.

My heart has turned to wax;

it has melted away within me." (22:14)

"Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.'" (Matthew 26:38a).

"And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground." (Luke 22:44)

"My strength is dried up like a potsherd,

and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth;

you lay me in the dust of death." (22:15) "Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, 'I am thirsty.' (John 19:28)

"Dogs have surrounded me;

a band of evil men has encircled me,

they have pierced my hands and my feet." (22:16) "And they crucified him." (Mark 15:25)

"They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son." (Zechariah 12:10)

"I can count all my bones;

people stare and gloat over me.

They divide my garments among them

and cast lots for my clothing." (22:17-18) "And they divided up his clothes by casting lots." (Luke 23:34)

"When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom. 'Let's not tear it,' they said to one another. 'Let's decide by lot who will get it.'" (John 19:23-24)

* Of Course He did, He was seated at the right of the Father then and well as now. He left heaven only for us. His is the Beginning and the End.

* These words predicted the future suffering of a High Priest, King, a Savior and a Judge. Every word from the mouth of God is a living breathing a future for mankind every word and that's why " man shall not live by bread, but by every word from the mouth of God"

The similarities between Psalms 22 and Jesus' crucifixion are:

scorned and despised - despised and rejected

mocked

trusted,let the LORD rescue him - 'He saved others; let him save himself if he is the Christ of God, the Chosen One.'

bulls - Herod and Pontius Pilate

Roaring lions - Gentiles and the people of Israel

poured out - drops of blood

tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth - I am thirsty

pierced my hands and my feet - the one they have pierced

divide my garments - took his clothes

cast lots for my clothing - decide by lot

Yes Jesus knew the words were referring to himself.

I think the spirit inspired David to write this because he was prophesying of Jesus' crucifixion just as Isaiah told of Christ's being born.

1. Even though they were written years apart, they are almost identical.

2. I think that Jesus know what His mission was. He knew that He had to be obedient to this prophacy.

3. David must have been inspired by these Words to foretell the future.

• 2 weeks later...

The similiarities I see between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus crucifixion are; H e was scorned and despised by men,they mocked Him and insulted Him,the rulers and the people conspired against Him. he was so sorrowful to the point of death. Both tell how he was very thirsty and then crucified. Both tell how they cast lots for His garments.

Yes, I think Jesus knew that Psalm 22 was referring to Himself because He knew His mission here on earth and He knew what it would cost Him to die for our sin.

I think the Spirit inspired David to pen these words for our sake to prophesy Jesus crucifixion.

The entire Psalm talk of the suffering of the coming Messiah, It is similar to all that happened to Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Jesus understood Psalm 22, It was foretold that the Messiah will come and will face many suffering.

It was the Holy Spirit that inspired David to pen these words.

22:6-He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows... Isa 53:3

The Jews rejected Jesus as their Messiah

22:16-"And they crucified Him." Mk 15:25

"They will look on me, the one they have pierced, Zech 12:10

This verse refers to Christ's crucifixion on the cross.

22:17-18-"And they divided His clothes by casting lots." Luke 23:24

These verses refer to the soldiers gambling for Christ's clothing at the foot of the cross.

Similarities between the words of Psalm 22 and the events of Jesus' crucifixion taken from Matthew 27 include:

- Jesus cryed out from the cross: "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

- Jesus was scorned and despised by the people as they chose Barabbas over Him to be pardoned from crucifixation. The soldiers mocked and insulted Him until His death upon the cross. Jewish religious leadership mocked Him.

- While Jesus was hanging on the cross, those who passed by Him hurled insults at Him, shaking their heads in Matt. 27: 40 said: "... You who are going to destroy the temple and build it in three days, save yourself! Come down from the cross, if you are the Son of God!"

- The chief priests, teachers of the law, the elders said in verse 27:43: "He trusts in God. Let God rescue him now if he wants him ..."

- The robbers who were crucified with Him also heaped insults on him.

I think Jesus understood that Psalm 22 was speaking of Him. I think that the Holy Spirit inspired David to pen these words so that Holy Men of God who searched God's Word would find them when the appointed time of the Messiah came and what was prophesied took place, they would know it was of God and that Jesus Christ was the Messiah. The words of David were to a sign for that generation of Holy Men to understand and be a revelation as to what God was doing and who Jesus Christ was.

• 1 month later...

Psalm 22:7 All who see me laugh me to scorn Luke 18:32 Mocked, and despitefully treated, and

spit upon

Psalm 22:15 My tongue cleaveth to my jaws. John 19 28 I thirst

Psalm 22:16 the peirced my hands and feet. Mark 15:25 and they crucified Him

Psalm 22:18 they parted my garments and John19:24 Let us not rend it (his vesture) but let us

cast lots for my vesture cast lots for it

I do think that Jesus knew that Psalm 22 was referring to Himself. I don't think HE went into this thing not knowing what would befall Him.

I think David penned these words so that years later people would be able to say that it happened just as it was prophesied. There would be no question as to whether this was just an ordinary man that got a bad deal but they would know that this was that which had been prophesied about years before

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many similarities between the two especially verses 16-18.

Of course Jesus knew that is was referring to him.

The Spirit inspired David to pen this Psalm because the future is foretold in the Bible it maybe a bit hidden but it is there if you look.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...