JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh: Jesus is pirctured both as the Lion symbolizing power and authority and the lamb symbolizing HIs submission to God's will. As a lamb Christ was the perfect sacrifice and He is the only one who can save us from the consequences of our sins. As the lion, Christ is victorious because of what the lamb has done already and we are therefore able to participate in Jesus' victory.

I am sorry I failed to reply to the other part of the question. As the root of David Jesus completes his position as a member of the family of David which was set up as the source of the redeemer who would come to save the world. :D

+ These titles signify that Jesus' fufilled the prophecy of Jacob about his son Judah, and the prophecy in Isaiah; that Jesse, father of King David, from whose descendents the Christ would come.

= Jesus is the "Lion of Judah's tribe",the "Scepter of Judah", and the "One to whom the ruler's staff would belong". These were not to depart from Judah until it was fulfilled in David and ultimately in Christ the Messiah.

= The Lamb/Jesus is the shoot that came from the stump of Jessie, the same tribe that the Jews expected their Messiah to come from. As the "Root of David" Christ was to have all nations come to Him.

Why is the Lamb called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"? What do these titles signify about him?...............................................Jesus, the Lamb, is called the "Lion of Judah"& the "Root of David because it was for-told that the Messiah would come from the tribe of Judah, & the house of David. One of many scriptures, in the old testament, & there are many, that I love is Micah 5:2..."But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, "yet" out of thee shall He come forth unto Me that is to be Ruler in Israel; whose goings forth "Have been from of old," from everlasting!" :o The Jews were looking for the Messiah; yes,....but a "king" that would rule now, in the natural, were their eyes seeking for. We, in hind-sight, reading the prophecies for-telling His coming, see, that it was a Spiritual kingdom that He came to set up first. Tracing back, the house of David, we see that even through his, David's lineage. we come across Rahab, the harlot! (Joshua 2:1) This, for the Jew's, would have been un-thinkable, that the Coming Messiah, the King, & deliverer, would come as a sacrifice, for all! Jesus is "The Lion" He did come "From the Root of David"! This I always found interesting..That as Jesus rode in to Jerusalem, to the cries of "Hosanna"; the priest's were in the temple, praying for the Messiah to come! Never realizing that He was there, riding pass the temple! :( ...My prayer, is that the children of Israel, will "see"....will realize, "He was, & is, here!"......

The entire Bible is a love story. This may seem strange with all the wars and killing, but it really is a story of just how much God loves us. And although there are many characters in it the focus of the Bible is on Jesus and how God sent him to save a sinful world. Revelation is the final chapter where we see all the prophecies come together and finally completely fulfilled. Of course Jesus' birth,life death and resurrection fulfilled many prophecies. But we see the culmination in Revelation when John is given a glimple when he is on the Isle of Patmos.

In Revelation 5:5 he is called the "lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"

The first part of this quote came from Genesis 49:8-12

(8) Judah, your brothers will praise you; your hand will be on the hand of your enemies; your father's sons will bow down to you. (9) You are a lion's cub O Judah; you return from the prey, my son. Like a lion he crouches and lies down, like a lioness--who dares to rouse him? (10) The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler's staff from beneath his feet, until he comes to whom it belongs and the obedience of the nations is his. (11) He will tether his donkey to a vine, his colt to the choicest branch; he will wash his garments in wine, his robes in the blood of grapes. (12) His eyes will be darker than wine, his teeth darker than milk.

Just think in the first book of the Bble is a prophecy we find fulfilled in the last book of the Bible. Thousands of years before Jesus' birth is the prophecy written that we now know is about Him. The second part of Revelation 5:5 refers to Isaiah 11:1-10

(1) A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his a branch will bear fruit. (2) The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him--the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord--(3) and he will delight in the fear of the Lord. He will not judge what he sees with his eyes, or decide what he hears with his ears; (4) but with righteousness he will judge the needy, with justice he will give decisions for the poor of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; with the breath of his lips he will slay the wicked. (5) Righteousness will be his belt and faithfulness the sash around his waist. (6) The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them. (7) The cow will feed with the bear, their young will lie down together, and the lion will eat straw like the ox. (8) The infant will play near the hole of the cobra, and the young child will put his hand into the viper's nest. (9) They will neither harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea. (10) In that day the Root of Jesse will stand as a banner for the peoples; the nations will rally to him, and his place of rest will be glorious.

Jesus descended from the line of Judah and Jesse is the Father of David from whom Jesus descended. This is clearly prophecy fulfilled. The Isaiah prophecy sounds quite like what heaven might be like. It certainly paints a beautiful picture. Jesus has triumphed over sin and deabh. Because of His great love for us He sacrificed His life for us on that cruel, horrific Roman Cross.

Although we have been given the gift of free will to choose to love him in return or not, we are also told the consequences of choosing to not loving Him and choosing life. Starting with the Ten Commandments we are told to make God number one in our lives. Adam and Eve taught us what happens when we disobey God, we see death. Revelation teaches us the consequences of choosing death over life, death over loving God and Jesus. I for one choose life and accept the redeeming work of Jesus on the cross.

The titles fulfill the prophecies and the promise that were given during the Old Testatment times that the Messiah will come from the descendants of David. The title of "Lion," which is generally known as the king of the jungle, tells us that the Messiah is the greatest in the tribe of Judah. Though at least two of the Messiah's ancestors were hailed as kings of the Israelites (David and his son Solomon), the Messiah still is greater in all aspects than anybody else and therefore has the right to be declared as "the Lion of the tribe of Judah." The title "Root of David" signifies the fact that even though Jesus came many years after David, the fact that Jesus has been "present" even during the time when the world was being created by the Lord makes Him older than His descendant and therefore becomes the Root. We have proof of this idea in Mark 12:37 when Jesus told the people: "David himself calls Him 'Lord.' How then can He be his son?"

Both these titles refer to Old Testament prophecies - Jacob's prophecy to Judah and Isaiha's prophecy about the root of Jesse. This says to me that Jesus is exactly who he said he was - sent by the Father to be the saviour, to lead us to the Father's throne, taking his rightful place & putting us in the place where we belong - in the father heart of God.

Q1. Why is the Lamb called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"? What do these titles signify about him? Exposition

I will quote from Pastor Ralph and from my bible NKJV. in this answer.

~~The Lion of the tribe of Judah,refers to Jacop's ancient prophecy over his son Judah

~~The Root of David,is a refrence to Isaiah's prophecy.They both are messianic titles for Jesus Christ>see Is. 11:1,,10)Prevailed in my bible refers to the death and resurrection of Christ on behalf of those who would be redeemed.The <victory> over sin and death was complete.

~~The Lamb was slain for our sins,and if we believe we will receive Christ Jesus as our savior in cleansing us from our sin,the vistory through Jesus Holy name.Life with Jesus forever.Amen

Q1. Why is the Lamb called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"? What do these titles signify about him?
:) "the lion of the tribe of Judah"

The tribe of Judah were leaders. The Jews believed that the Messiah would come from this tribe. Jesus is both our leader and Messiah. He is victorious over our sins.

:) "the Root of David"

Jesus is a decendant of David. He is the one branch of the family of David that "bears fruit". He brings us to Him so that we too might grow to bear fruit.

Jesus fulfilled these two prophesies. Just as He will fulfill the prophesy of Revelation.

"The Lion of the tribe of Judah" refers to Jacobs ancient prophecy over his son Judah.

The Jews believed the Messiah would comeThe Jews came from the tribe of Judah and he was portrayed as "alion cub and a crouching lion"

The Root of David" is a reference to Isaiah's prophecy: Jesse is the Father of David, from these decendants the Messiah would come.

Jesus is the Messiah and he is The Lamb. Jesus was the son of God. The Lamb is a symbol for Jesus Christ, John The Baptist proclaimed as "The Lamb Of God, who takes away the sins of our world.

To me this signifies that Jesus died on the cross for my (our) sins and rose again so that we may have all is promises he has declared for me(us).

He new we couldn't make it on our own, He Cares for all of us, he won the victory over sin.

Lion of the tribe of Judah-In Genesis 49 8-12, Judah is promised the right to rule until it comes to the one it belongs, the Lamb is the one to whom it belongs.

Root of David- "And thy house and thy kingdom shall bv established forever, thy throne shall be established forever", God had made a covenent with David, but that kingly line was cursed, but through the virgin birth that promise was fulfilled, for Mary was a descendant of david and an uncursed link, this was the only way that God could keep is promise to David and His curse on Jehoiachin which made Jesus the uncursed legal heir to the throne of David.

Gensis 49:8-12 refers to Jacob's ancient prophecy over his son Judah. This is the tribe that the Jews believe the Messiah would come from. THE ROOT OF DAVID: An Isaiah's prophecy (Isa. 11:1-10). King David is the father of Jesse, the descendant that the Messiah would come. The titles signify that the Messiah is victorious, a conqueror, a prevailer and a overcomer.

He is first considered a lamb because He is humble to the will of God.

#5 1. Why is the Lamb called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"? What do these titles signify about him?

In Genesis 49:1-9 we read of Jacob prophesying to his sons what the future will hold for them and their descendants. To his son Judah he tells him

Lion of Judah is a Messanic title taken from Genesis 49: 8-10 where Judah is named a lion's cub and promised the right to rule until he comes to whom it belongs and the root of David looks forward to the ideal king in the line of David. Jesus came the first time to earth as a Lamb but His next coming is going to be like a roaring lion.

The Lion of the tribe of Judah refers to Jacob's prophecy over his son Judah.

Judah was pictured as a "lion's cub" and a "crouching lion" from whose tribe

the Messiah would come.

The Root of David refers to Isaiah's prophecy

"A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse; from his roots

a branch will bear fruit......"

Jesse was the father of King David from whose line the Messiah would come.

Lesson 5: The Revelation is not a loyal book. Its writer hates the Roman government and denounces its wickedness in persecuting thre church in unmeasured terms which every Christian of the day must have understood. From a Roman point of view, a seditious and incendiary pamphlet. But so symbolic and enigmatical is its language that few outside of Jewish or Chnristian circles can have understood its meaning. So if you and I are having difficult, we shouoldn't feel bad. Even Martin Luther stated that the book should not have been included in the Bible.

Q1: Both titles are Jewish titles referring to prophecies from the OT that predicted that there would be one from the tribe of Judah and from the family of David who would at last rule over the earth and solve its problems. The title refers to the King of the Jews. Pilot must have had help to understand that prophecy.

Q2. Lamb-Jesus//Slain Lamb standing-signifies that Jesus has ceased to be merely an earthly event, he has now become a cosmic event. Symbols-tie together the earthly promises of Israel and the heavenly calling of the church//Horns-in scripture they speak of power while seven is considered the number of fullness//Eyes- speak of full intelligence, discernment, by means of the Holy Spirit. These seven eyes are the seven spirits of God.//

Seven- Usually means fullness or completeness as in seven days of the week. God rested on the seventh day.

Q3. The great deed of Jesus (dying for us) gave freedom to those who were slaves. The Cross became the creative deed which remade the ways of human life. In reading vss 3-4 (KJV) I have to ask-where was Jesus?

Q4: As Christians, it is understood that we who are redeemed also contribute to the role of redemption. To do so, we have to be a part of the reign of good will. As Christians, we are considered priests because as such we should be reverant in our reign upon god's earth.

Q5. With John Calvin, Martin Luther and others having difficulty with this book, I do not feel bad that I cannot answer this question. To me, it implies two entities. Still searching.

Shalom, Bob ;)

Lesson 5:  The Revelation is not a loyal book.  Its writer hates the Roman government and denounces its wickedness in persecuting thre church in unmeasured terms which every Christian of the day must have understood.  From a Roman point of view, a seditious and incendiary pamphlet.  But so symbolic and enigmatical is its language that few outside of Jewish or Chnristian circles can have understood its meaning.  So if you and I are having difficult, we shouoldn't feel bad.  Even Martin Luther stated that the book should not have been included in the Bible.

Q1:  Both titles are Jewish titles referring to prophecies from the OT that predicted that there would be one from the tribe of Judah and from the family of David who would at last rule over the earth and solve its problems. The title refers to the King of the Jews.  Pilot must have had help to understand that prophecy.

Q2.  Lamb-Jesus//Slain Lamb standing-signifies that Jesus has ceased to be merely an earthly event, he has now become a cosmic event.  Symbols-tie together the earthly promises of Israel and the heavenly calling of the church//Horns-in scripture they speak of power while seven is considered the number of fullness//Eyes- speak of full intelligence, discernment, by means of the Holy Spirit.  These seven eyes are the seven spirits of God.//

Seven- Usually means fullness or completeness as in seven days of the week.  God rested on the seventh day.

Q3.  The great deed of Jesus (dying for us) gave freedom to those who were slaves.  The Cross became the creative deed which remade the ways of human life.  In reading vss 3-4 (KJV) I have to ask-where was Jesus?

Q4:  As Christians, it is understood that we who are redeemed also contribute to the role of redemption.  To do so, we have to be a part of the reign of good will.  As Christians, we are considered priests because as such we should be reverant in our reign upon god's earth.

Q5.  With John Calvin, Martin Luther and others having difficulty with this book, I do not feel bad that I cannot answer this question.  To me, it implies two entities.  Still searching.

Shalom, Bob ;)

All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. II Tim. 3: 16-17.

:) Happy to read what everyone wrote... good reading. Been ill... but it is ok to take a break and just read.

I only know that I am rejoicing for whomever God chose to be the Lineage of Jesus...

As a Lion He shows much Strength and with His word consuming the Flesh... as a Lamb He is Meek and Humble and in Sacrifice gave His Best.

I pray that we should also be as He: as a Lion with much Wisdom and Boldness and as a Lamb:

Gentle with eyes on the Shepherd.

Keep Posting.

;) The Lamb is called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" because it fulfilled Jacob's ancient prophecy over his son Judah, from whose tribe, the Jews believed, the Messiah would come.

The Lamb is called "the Root of David" because He fulfilled Isaiah's prophecy about the Messiah coming from the descendants of King David.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the Lamb called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"? What do these titles signify about him?

He is called the "lion" to signify that He is the ruler-Messiah foretold in the Genesis prophecy. And now at this point in the Revelation narritive He is going to completely fulfil that role. As a "lion" He has power, authority, fierceness--He will rule over all the kings of the earth.

The "root" title signifies that He is descended from David, and from the remnant of faithful Jews that were left after so many turned away from God. When Isaiah made those prophecies he was sent to warn the people of God's wrath but told that they wouldn't listen to him. God would cut down the tree that was Israel as a result--yet a stump, a faithful remnant would remain. From this "root"--and specifically from the descendents of Jesse/David would come the ruler-Messiah. So this is tying Jesus to His roots--pointing out His humanity and that He is the fulfillment of these prophecies. Just as John the Baptist pointed us to the Isaiah prophecies earlier, here it is done again. Now ALL the prophecy will be fulfilled, and the Lion takes his place as the rightful ruler of the Earth.

Why is the Lamb called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"? What do these titles signify about him?

It is passing on of authority. The sceptre (the law) belongs to Judah (whom is depicted as a lion) and eventually, the sceptre will be passed on down to Jesus.

The lamb is also called the 'root of David' as a sign of the coming Messiah.

These titles signify that all authority and all salvation rests in the hands of Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...
Q1. Why is the Lamb called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" and "the Root of David"? What do these titles signify about him? Exposition

(from Matthew 1) Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah ... David ... Joseph, Jesus. Which shows Jesus' lineage through the tribe of Judah and through King David. These title signify that Jesus was the messiah who was supposed to come through this lineage and Jesus has this recorded lineage.