JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Mary's Question to the Angel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was the condition of their heart. Mary's question didn't question the announcement but how this was going to come about; "How will this be, since I am a virgin?" She took it on faith that it was going to happen she was just wondering how it was going to happen.

Zechariah's question was filled with doubt and disbelief and he questioned the announcement; "How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years." I believe in his heart he was questioning God and believing it would never happen.

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary's question was one of semantics really. I don't believe she was questioning God, nor Gabrielle. Whereas Zecheriah was desiring evidence that the event was actually going to take place. Gabrielle is an Angel that stands in the very presence of God, and Zecheriah is wanting proof. Mary is simply perplexed as to how it's all possible based on limited human interpretation. Mary was rewarded for yielding inspite of her questions, Zechariah was struck dumb because he didn't believe what Gabriel told him.

Mary's reply was coming from a heart of faith, not a heart of unbelief like Zechariah. God is concerned with our heart. Questions to God aren't wrong, because they help us to grow and help us to understand. When we question, we then search for answers. It's much better to realize we have a question and look for a solution than to sit by and be content in our ignorance.

mary did not doubt that what the angel said would come to pass she just didnt understand how. when the angel explained that God would do this she accepted the angels message and agreed to the role assigned by God to her ....she had a faith and heart that accepted and believed even when she did not understand and it appeared impossible to her human reasoning whereas zechariah doubted the angels messsage as to his and elizabeths ability to concieve a child. he allowed the circumstance of their age to disbelieve Gods power to overide what is natural and accomplish what he willed and proclaimed .he forgot all things are possible with God nothing is impossible with Him

In Mary's "How"? question, it is a question with innosence, for she was a virgin one, but with full of faith for what Angel Gabriel said will happen.

Zechariah "How"? is a question with full of doubt and unbelief, for his old age and wife a barren one.

Mary was rewarded for she humbly believe and accepted the word thar Angel Gabriel told her about, Zechariah was discipline for his doubt and unbelief.

I believe the main difference seems to be in regard to what their question was trying to prove.

For Zechariah, his how was in some respect an attempt to disprove God. His how said, "This is impossible, and I won't believe it or act upon it until you can prove it."

For Mary, it was an effort to increase her faith. Her how asked, "OK God, this is crazy. I know it must be so, because You have said so, yet I am in complete amazement. Please use this to help me understand You more."

Zechariah's question reveals his doubt and his insistance to see in order to believe. Mary's question reveals her faith and her willingness to follow and obey. Time and time again in the Bible, God makes it clear that he rewards the faithful.

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." -Jesus (John 20:29b)

Although Zechariah was not able to speak until John's birth as a result of his unbelief, I do not think we should necessarily think of this as a bad thing. I imagine that after that time of silence was over, Zechariah had recieved a priceless lesson in faith and humility. As Proverbs 3:11-12 says,this discipline was indeed a blessing.

Q2. (Luke 1:34) In what way does Mary's "How?" question (1:34) to the angel's declaration differ from Zechariah's "How?" question (1:18)? Why was Mary rewarded and Zechariah disciplined?

Mary's how seems to based on practical and known knowledge of the day...not being able to get pregnant without intimacy. Hers is one of inquiry as to how this could happen knowing this knowledge. The innocence of the question is reconciling to the new knowledge and her situation.

Zechariah's question, appears to have an element of "faith" and his lack of "sureness" related to God and to Mary...almost as if to say that Mary was too old to attract anyone. Almost a disrespectful tone toward her and toward God.

God knew each of their hearts. He knew what "how" meant to each of them. Mary wanted more information. Zechariah felt that what was about to happen was impossible (humanly speaking it was).

Mary's question to the angel was one of naivete' and innocence as opposed to Zechariah's which was of doubt thus Mary went unpunished while Zechariah was disciplined. I believe that, in the end, both where rewarded as Zechariah and Elizabeth had the child that they previously unable to conceive.

Mary's question to the angel was one of naivete' and innocence as opposed to Zechariah's which was of doubt thus Mary went unpunished while Zechariah was disciplined. I believe that, in the end, both where rewarded as Zechariah and Elizabeth had the child that they previously unable to conceive.

Mary was rewarded because of her obedience to God

Mary was likely 12 years old...how much did she know about the scripture and yet she had faith in God's goodness toward her! Zechariah, a pretty old guy, and a priest was held accountable for his knowledge of the Word, and his doubt. I loved this about their ages...this was new thought for me! thanks

1. Mary's question was one of wonder and faith that this could only be through a miracle and Zechariah's question was of unbelief because of his age and the amount of time that had passed waiting for a child.

2. Mary had faith and not doubt. She showed that she trusted in God to bring this about. Zechariah showed his lack of faith by doubting God's power to do all things no matter how impossible.

I think that Mary's response shows a pure heart that is willing to submit to God's will, without having to know all the details. Zechariah's response shows that he has become skeptical over the years.

Your question made me look at this in a new light. I now see that things that I once accetped as being "of God" when I was younger, are now looked at in a more critical light. I simply don't give God the credit as much as I used to. Like Zechariah, I take an "I'll beliver it whenI see it" stance. Time to go back to the old way of looking at things...

Thaks for the eye-opener!