JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

(2:1-2) Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star in the east and have come to worship him. ---- The Magi had to at some time heard there would be a star, a sign, that a King has been born.

The significance of the star is - it was to be a SIGN, the King of the Jews is born. The Jewish people looked for a sign, so they would know it came from God. I believe the star was a supernatural light, a sign from God, and those who studied the stars, knew there was something different about this light, it wasn't anything they ever saw. I believe their "faith" in what they heard grew, this must be the light prophesied, a SIGN indeed.

Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star?

They came to worship the King. By traveling a long distance and bringing costly gifts, proved to me, the star they saw was by far a SUPERNATURAL sign! Faith brought them to the home of Mary for one purpose, to give honor, to WORSHIP the King of the Jews.

In what way does prophecy prefigure this event?

Magi were astrologers, they were also interpreters of dreams. If these wise men came from Babylon, they could have heard about Daniel, Daniel who also was an interpreter of dreams, Daniel who gave the very date, prophesied about the Ancient of Days, who would come to rule and reign. The Wise men came looking for the Ancient of Days.

I am full of Joy! for I found the Ancient of Days. :)

What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw? The Magi were well-versed in the stars of that era. They were looking for many months for a strange new sight that was in the sky. They watched, they waited, and they followed.

Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? Not a babe born in a stable, but like the Jewish people--a King born in a palace.

In what way does prophecy prefigure this event? At the time, Magi were wise men. They studied the stars and interpret dreams. If one the wise men was from Babylon, he could have heard about Daniel. Daniel was a interpreter of dreams and visions who gave the predicted dates about certain events in Jewish history as well as our own time.

This has been the BEST Bible study ever! What story do we know better than we know the story of Jesus' birth, yet how much I have learned by the careful reading needed to answer the questions and the points Pastor Ralph makes. For instance, all my life I have heard people argue that there is no historical data which supports the biblical declaration that Herod had all the boy babies in Bethlehem killed. Therefore, it must not have happened. Pastor Ralph says logically that there would probably be no more than 20 children fitting that category. Herod was responsible for the death of his own wife and children. That made news--although it was probably just whispered rumors--but I doubt that the Herod/Roman connection would have considered the killing of 20 little Jewish kids as a fact worth mentioning in a history book. Think of the trouble we hear about between modern Israel and Palestine right now. We see it almost daily on TV, but I doubt if any one of us could tell how many children have been killed in the last year because of the trouble between the two peoples. A hundred years from now, there might be a general blurb in a history book, but the crux of the printed matter will be the "important" people involved in today's events.

Back to Question 1:

What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem was the fact that it had been prophecied earlier by Jewish prophets, yet the learned men, however many and where ever they came from, recognized it as a sign of the Messiah's birth. What was that star? I once said, rather tongue-in-cheek because I like to shake up my fundamentalist friends sometimes, that the star might have been a UFO (or at the very least a USO--unidentified stellar object). I was a little surprised that while people closest to me scooted their chairs back waiting for the lightning to strike, my dear husband, the most fundamental of all, defended me and said "Well, we've just been saying over and over that God can do anything. So I believe he could have made a little old UFO that could have led the wise men to Jesus. After all, they may have been wise, but we today still don't know about UFO's."

I think the Magi came to find the Christ-child for the same reason each of us in this study came to find the risen Christ. Once the message is on our hearts, can we help from searching?? They were guided by the Holy Spirit who urged them on--The Holy Spirit was in my UFO or USO just like the Holy Spirit was in the pillar of cloud or pillar of fire which guided the Hebrews to their freedom from the Egyptians.

In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

We have just gone back and re-read the prophesy which ties in with the search by the Magi. Isn't it amazing that within this study, we have found the very first believer (Mary) and the very first gentile believers (the Magi)?

The Old Testament prophecy in Numbers 24:17 would have been significant to those close to the word of God through the Torah. Since there is no certainty as to the identity of the Magi it is feasible that they could have indeed come from Babylon (Iraq) or Persian (Iran) where the Hebrews had been taken in captivity. If that be the case, it is also possible that these three men could have been of Jewish lineage themselves or, have been scholars and astrologers that were severly influenced by the Word.

In any case, their appearing was a confirmation of the Word in Numbers 24:17 and caused a chain of events that helped to identify Jesus Christ as the Messiah.

The star is of great importance......it is showing the way to find the Christ child. The wisemen from the East are truly in earnest to find the King of the world.................We read in the Old Testament that the wisest people were from the East.

It was their quest..........they knew the need to honor him with the gifts.......God had purpose for the gifts to further the safety of the child. When King Herod learned that the child was born, he made sure no male children would live in Bethlehem.

His crafty deed did not interrupt the plan God had for his son. The wisemen left without jeopardizing the little savior of mankind. Joel Osteen said this morning on T.V. that God sends others to help us in our Christian walk...........he did, he does, and he will always do so. It is wonderful that he shows us just how many people helped in furthering Christ's misson on earth.

The star of Bethlehem, whatever form it took, was a way in which God was able to convey to these men, the Magi, that the great event of the birth of a king had taken place. These men appeared to be students of the skies and this unusual event challenged them to seek an answer to that which they believed. Some of their drive could well have come from the various prophetic teachings that they had heard over the years.

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw? Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE STAR THEY KNEW A KING WAS BEING BORN

THE BRIGHT SHINNING STAR LED THEM TO BETHLEHEM TO SHOW THEM WHERE THE KING WAS BORN.

BY THE INTERPERATION OF DREAMS

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw? Why do you think the Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star? In what way was does prophecy prefigure this event?

the star of bethlehem was a sign that would announce the messiahs birth this was a sign from God to those who knew prophecy and were waiting and watching for this sign signaling the birth of the greatest king.the magi who could have come from babylon were the jews had been in captivity once and where daniel held a possition of honor heading the court magicians and soothsayers ,may also have learned some of the prophecies concerning the future of israel including the promised messiahs birth some of the prophecies are revealed in numbers 24:17 ;isaiah 9:2; micah5:2 so the magi regarded this sign of enough importance to search for the great king and honor him with presents fit for royalty and worship him ! they prostrated themselves before a 2 year old boy on a dirt floor!!!! men of their stature would do this only if they knew without a doubt this was the ancient of days born to be king of the jews . it is interesting to note that it was foreigners who understood the significance of the Lords birth and were a witness to this event but His own people were mostly clueless to this promised coming of their deliverer.

Without the star there,they wouldn't have known about Jesus or where to find him. They proberly came because they had heard about the prophecy and thought they would go and check it out. Prophecy plays a huge part in it because if it wasn't foretold noone would have known about it and it makes the bible true because of all the prophecy that it has in it.

Wow. I have tears in my eyes doing this Bible study.

The star led the way to the Christ-child. It was foretold (a star will come out of Jacob). I think the magi had never seen anything like this before and they knew it was an important event and they had heard that the Jews were waiting for Messiah, so they wanted to see for themselves. God planned for salvation of sinners: long before the Christ-child was born it was pre-arranged. Awesome!

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem is that it was prophetized by Baalam centuries earlier and the Magi were aware of the significance of the Star that led them to Bethlehem and the Messiah. I believe too, that the Magi were moved and made sensitive to the various signs that proclaimed the birth of the Messiah and they became a part of the proclaimation of the arrival of the Messiah on this planet among humanity.

Beginning with Genesis 3:15 and throughout Old Testamenst Scripture, God revealed to humanity that the Messiah, at some point in time, would come into this world and be the Saviour of humanity -- for those who would accept Him and call upon His name. God, speaking the prophets, gave us the signs to look for.

The star had been prophecied to be an indication of the birth of the Messiah. This was a very important event. The Magi were astrologers and so when they saw the star they had no doubt that the time they had been waiting for had arrived. The child prophecied was to be born.

The Mgi travelled to where Jesus was born to give Him Honour because He was the Messiah who was going to save His people. He was an important King who deserved honour. The prophecy was linked to David and therefore all Jews expected it.

[font=Georgia]Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem to the Magi was that it was a sign to find the new Jewish Kings birth that was prophecied.

The Magi were astrologiers and they followed the stars and the signs, the interpretation of dreams which they knew of as the prophesy of the birth of the Christ child the new King of The Jews that would come and rule over the Jewish Kingdom.

The birth of the Christ child has been told throughout the Torah, the birth of the one who would come and rescue the Jewish people.[/font]

Q1. (Matthew 2:1-2; Numbers 24:17) What is the significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw?

The Star of Bethlehem was a sign that the Christ-child had been born. It fulfilled the prophecy.

They had been looking for the sign, and when they saw it they came to worship Him and bring Him gifts.

The Magi studied the stars and knew the significance of this star. :rolleyes:

The star is significant as it is part of the prophecy - it all had to happen as it was said otherwise people would have reason to doubt and question.

The Magi knew the scripture and prophecy and knew that this meant the King had been born - they wanted to worship this King.

The birth of Christ was predetermined and there were signs - this was one of those signs and therefore, important to shwo where and who the King was!

Primarily the Star was a Herald of Jesus' birth. It brought, even if it were by curiosity, those who wished to witness the Birth of the Messiah to where the Baby was born. But more than that, it was the signifier that the Prophecies were about to become fulfilled. As we see in the passage in Numbers, the prophecy then, is fulfilled as the star appears. The star heralds the Magi as to the birth, and compels them to seek the New Born King.

1. The star was a sign of the Messiah coming that had been prophesided many years before. This star also led them to the place where Jesus was born.

2. The Magi had read about the Christ-child, who was told that He was the King of the Jews and they wanted to see him for themselves and to worship him.

3. Number 24:17 prophesied this event and the Magi studied astrology and saw the change in the constellation.

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw is that it led them to where the Christ Child was dwelling at that time.

The Magi came to find the Christ Child when they saw the star because they wanted to bring Him gifts and worship Him.

The way prophecy prefigures this event is the Magi studied astrology and knew what the star signified.

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw is that it was prophecy fulfilled. It had been prophesied in several places in the Old Testament that a star out of the east would signal the birth of 'the King of the Jews'; a king divine in nature. The Magi came to find the Christ-child because they believed Him to be the promised Messiah or Saviour. As already stated, the 'Star', the 'King of the Jews', and the 'Messiah' had already been prophesied before the occurence of the actual event.

The significance of the Star of Bethlehem that the Magi saw was that it was a supernatural occurrence sent by God to signify the birth of the King of the Jews and it would lead the Wise men to Jesus.

The Magi came to find the Christ-child when they saw the star because they knew it signified the birth of the King of the Jews,the King of Kings,the Messiah and they wanted to see him and worship him. But also to present him with gifts that God knew would be very much needed by Joseph and Mary to flee to Egypt to save Jesus life.

Prophecy prefigures in this event by it was prophesied in Numbers 24:17 a star would appear to signify Jesus birth,the Wise men knew this and they studied the stars.