JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Gifts for the Christ-Child

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though Jesus was still a child, the Magi still recognized that they were presence of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. According to history, where a foreign dignitaries would appear before a great king, they would birng gifts as a sign of obeisance and honor. By doing this, the Magi recongized that Jesus was/is a "king."

The gift:

Gold--was the most precious and valued metal know. It was highly prized. This was used to reflect that Jesus was/is king.

Frankincense--is derived from three species which grows in southern Arabia, India, and elsewhere. The gum has a bitter flavor and a strong balsamic order when heated. The Israelties used it in worship in the Holy Pace of the tabernacle and temple. This was used to reflect that Jesus came to endure suffering as a man.

Myrrh--is valuable as a perfume and a consitutent of sacred anointing oil. It was also used by Egypians in embalming. This was used to reflect Jesus humanity and later his death.

Each Magi knew who Jesus is and they provided it through their gifts.

Jesus just wants us to bring our hearts to Him. He came to earth as a baby, he grow up to be man, But he died to save us--He was us to know that he loves us.

The Magi bring gifts because of who He is, the King of all kings. The attitude of their heart is seen in their desire to give to him the best of that which they possessed. The most important gift that we have to bring to Christ is that of our self. The giving of ourselves to him would include all that we possess as far as time, talent and treasure.

Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child?

The Christ -child, even as a baby in human form, was one of the Trinity. It was clearly appropriate for the Magi to bring Him gifts as a form of worship and adoration.

How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude?

Just like Abel, you know that the Magi gave their very best. That is what God expects.

What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

Each of us has one or more special gifts which we should develop and devote solely to God. I saw a TV segment the other day where Rick Warren was being interviewed. He said that most of us have gifts that we don't recognize--that it takes someone else looking on to recognize our gifts. I know I have struggled all my life with trying to recognize what I should bring to the throne-- and have absolutely suffered from "gift envy." It seems like I can see everyone else's gift but my own. I've even accused God of skipping me. Maybe it's because of that envy again. I hear one friend singing like an angel, I see another friend who has so much compassion for the sick...the list goes on and on.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

ANYTHING TO HONOR HIM BECAUSE HE IS THE KING..THINGS THAT SHOW ADORATION

THEY GIVE THE GIFTS THAT ARE FIT FOR A KING

WE ARE SUPPOSE TO GIVE HIM OUR ALL..MIND BODY AND SOUL.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child? How does the extravagance of their gifts reflect their heart attitude? What kinds of gifts are appropriate for us to bring?

It was appropriate for them to bring gifts because it was a sign of honor and respect. Their heart attitude was one of being open to what they were going to see and respect and awe. We are to bring anything that God has given us as a gift before Jesus and ourselves because if we give our lives to God that is one of the best offerings that we could make.

The Magi brought gifts to honor the King of Kings, the child of God who would become the ruler of all the world. They knew this child to be thus and when you think about it, all three items were necessary elements of the temple and the appointments that Yahweh ordered; fragrant incense, annointing oil and gold to cover the adornments.

These gifts, from the heart, are what we must bring to the Lord. The best that we have, from our hearts, us. Merry Christmas everyone!

It was appropriate to bring the Christ-child gifts because Jesus was royalty. Their gifts reflected gifts that you would give to royalty upon a royal visit. Appropriate gifts were of the kind that the Magi brought: Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child?

The Magi came prepared! They are going before a King!

A heart attitude of "love" of "gratitude" of "honor"

A heart attitude of "love" of "gratitude" of "honor" to The King!

Yet these still arn't enough! Is there room in my heart to hold all the treasures our King deserves? I guess I will have to give Him - "me"- all of me. I know He will take my gift and refine it, smooth out the rough edges, and make it shine, make it to be of great value, a great treasure indeed; YES, I will give Him "me" - now I see, that is why He came. This King, God's most precious Gift has been given to mankind! There are no other gifts that God desires from us, but for us to present ourselves to Him, presenting a heart of "love" of "Gratitude" of "honor" for giving to us The King, Christ Jesus the Lord.

It was appropriate for them to pay homage to the new born king, to acknowledge and honor him as king.

The lavishness of the wise men's gifts reflected what was in their hearts by bringing the best that they could afford from their position in life and from their country.

We should bring ourselves to the Lord. We should give him the best of our time, energy, effort, devotion and love. I like the legend of the little girl who only had weeds to give to Jesus and when she did they turned into a poinsettia. When we give to Jesus sincerely, he will make it beautiful.

the prophecy in micah 5:2-4 stated Jesus's divinity and pointed to His mellinnial kingdom.the magi understood the importance of this KING so they sought Him out and came with the most precious gifts they had (their treasures) if we give what is most precious it means we withold nothing, they totally sought to honor HIM. Jesus gave everything to save us we owe Him everything we have our talents our resources our time here on earth ,our very lives in fact!!!! by creating us and in ransoming us He is our rightful owner so it is due Him . the love He showed we can't even begin to appreciate while we live on this earth but it is extravagant, perfect and demands reciprocation.

In those times it was a tradition for gifts to be brought to the King, one would never visit a King without presenting gifts to him. So the Magi knew they were going to visit a King and they brought him gifts according to tradition. They not only brought gifts but they brought the finest of gifts as you would bring to a King. The kinds of gifts we can bring are our worship and praises, our faithfulness, our mindfulness, as humble obedient children who demonstrate our love for our King.

Q3. (Matthew 2:11b) Why was it appropriate for the Magi bring gifts to the Christ-child?

It was appropriate for foreign dignitaries to bring expensive gifts for the King.

They wanted to give the best that they had as a sign of respect, love, and honor.

We should be humble, and bring to Him the best that we can be. :rolleyes:

It was appropriate for the wise men to bring gifts for a child as it was a sign of respect and honour. The Lord placed it on the hearts of the Magi to bring the gifts and they did so. This would have been a huge blessing for Mary and Joseph (who had so little).

The extravagance of their gifts reflects the best they had. God doesn't want us to fight and struggle to bring Him the best of the world. He requires the heart attitude that makes us want to give Him our best (including our gifts and talents). The Magi gave Christ the best they could, they first offered themselves (falling prostrate to worship) and then offered the best they could at that time.

God doesn't require us to bring certain things but to offer Him our best. In this day and age one of the best things we can offer is our time - to Him and His service!

It was appropriate for the Magi to bring gifts because Christ is the King - the creator of the universe. He is Lord.

We can see that their hearts were tender toward Christ because they gave the very best gifts which were reserved for royalty.

I love the Lord with all my heart and my gift that reflects that love should by myself - to do whatever He asks me to do - what He desires. His will for my life should be my will for my life.

It was appropriate for the Magi to bring gifts to baby Jesus because they knew Him to be a King born to Israel. Altho they may or may not have known the entire significance of that, it was custom to bring gifts of this nature, the finest of what they have, to a King to honour him. They were doing what was considered customary. Again, it is not known if the Magi completely understood the significance of what they were doing, but they did know this was a King born. The extravagance lavished was appropriate in that it signified thier wish to honour the King with thier best. It is most appropriate for us to bring our total selves to the Christ-Child. That is the best we have. By offering ourselves, we are offering all that we have. God wants a relationship with us, and by giving freely of that, we honour God with what He has given us in the first place.

1. It was appropriate to present these gifts to show honor to a king.

2. Even though Jesus was a baby, He deserved the honor and these gifts were the best that they had. These gifts were fit for a King.

3. Our time, our worship, our praise, our obediance and our tithes would be our gifts.

It was appropriate for the magi to bring gifts to the Christ Child because whenever foreign dignitaries would appear before a great king, they would bring gifts as a sign of obeisance and honor.

The extravagance of the Magis' gifts reflect their heart attitude because they wanted to bring the Christ Child the best that they had.

The kinds of gifts that are appropriate for us to bring Our Lord is our worship, our faith, our obedience.

To show honor to a GREAT KING, they brought specimens of the products from their countries. They brought their finest only fit for THE King.

To always do our best in obedience, give what He would have us to give- to give to the poor,hungry, and less fortunate. And always PRAY for each other.

It was appropriate for the Magi to bring gifts to the Christ-child because He was to be a king,royalty,the King of Kings and when coming before a king one always brought a gift.

The extragravance of their gifts showed a heart attitude of wanting to give their best and most precious gift from a grateful and humble heart.

The kinds of gifts that are appropriate for us to bring are a humble and yielded heart to Him with the giving of praise and thanksgiving to Him.

It was appropriate for the Magi to bring the gifts to the Christ-child as a clear sign that this child was special and deserved honour. He was King of Kings. The extravagance of their gifts shows that they believed in their hearts that the Christ-child was the promised Messiah, the Saviour of the World. We must bring gifts that are from the heart, that show love for our Lord.

It was appropriate for Magi brings gifts to the Christ-child because that is fit for them the personages when they appeared before a great king as a sign of their obeisance and honor to him

The extravagance of their gifts reflects that their heart attitude is sincere, extremely generous, and wholehearted.

The kinds of gifts appropriate for us to bring are all kinds of gifts related to our lives or our bodies that holy and pleasing to God (Romans 12:1). The lives we live and the efforts we do are for him, done rightly, and with the best we can do.

It was appropraite to bring gifts to the KING OF KINGS and LORD OF LORDS .The extravagance of the gifts shows how true and honest they were in their respect and gratitude to meet the LORD JESUS after such a long journey