JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"? Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself? What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 5:13) What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"? Is it possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself? What do secular people notice about a "de-saltified" Christian? What do other Christians notice about you? Is it possible to "resaltify" your life?

If a seasoning has no flavor, It has no value. If Christians make no effort to affect the world around them. they are of little value to God. If we are too much like the world, we are worthless. Christians should not blend in with everyone else. In stead, we should affect others positively, just as seasoning brings out the best flavor in food. We should be bringing out flavor in the lost and dying world. Our witness should be of Christ dying on the cross. Our testamony should be He died for all mankind.

Yes, it is possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself or herself through the conviction of the Holy Spirit. Secular people would call us hypocrates if we are a"de-saltified"Christian. Other Christians notice we are being false and not true to God's word and His commandments. We can "resaltify" our life through repentence, turn from our wicked ways and never live like the world again.

The symptoms, as it were, of a Christian who has lost his Saltiness are many, but some of which are those who keep to themselves, they may profess they are Christian, but are bearing no fruit. No good works are seen in them. I do not mean to state that they must do good works to prove they are Christian, but to one who wholly believes on Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit resides, and because of that, wanting to do good works is a natural occurance. Once could say they are compelled to do good works. A Christian who has lost his salt is a "sunday" christian. One who goes to church on Sundays, but doesn't really practice what is preached the rest of the week. They go only to allow others to see them there. This kind of Christian is like a turkey that is baked in the oven way too long...it may look good on the outside, but inside it's full of hot air, and is hollow. Indeed, it is possible for a believer to detect such symptoms in himself. That is if he is doing his moral assessment of self on a regular basis. I do not say judge because it says in Luke that we should not judge...(37 And judge not, and ye shall not be judged: and condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: release, and ye shall be released: Luke 6:37 (ASV)

This doens't just mean we shouldn't judge others, this also means we shouldn't judge ourselves. But circumspection and a moral inventory are useful tools, and with them, if we are honest with outselves, will find where the flaws like...remember tho, in doing so, we are not doing this to condemn ourselves, but to give glory to God in what He has brought us through by His Grace! If we need a little adjustment on the moral compass, that is the time to ask God for help through the Holy Spirit.

I think other people notice hypocrisy in Christians who are "de-saltified". I would hope other Christians do not see any hypocracy in me, I believe, however, they see a man, broken by sin, in need of a Saviour. Along with that, I would hope they see a man who has connected with His saviour and one in whom the Holy Spirit resides...not to any glory of my own, but the Christ alone.

Yes, it is possible to "re-saltify" your life. Give it back to God, along with prayer, and committment, it is not "re-saltifying" it is gaining new salt.

When a christian loses her saltiness, her heart isn't filled with the gratitude of what God has done for her. Instead of being a christian as a privilege, she sees it as an obligation.

I think a believer can detect such symptoms in herself if she really reflects on her behaviors and in attitudes. IF she takes the time to look at herself, she will realize that she's not filled with joy, instead she loses that joy she felt when she first found God's love.

I think the secular people see the Christians with higher values, people with integrity, see us differently. They may not like us but they notice the differences. If we lose the saltiness then we're no different and gives them no incentive to be a christian.

There's a definate possibility to resaltify your life. The key is go back to the basic, go back to the first time when you accepted the Lord, and how excited you were, how much you're in love with Him, and how much you radiate just thinking about all that He has done for you. It's takes work, just like being married to one person for a while, we start to take each other for granted. It takes an effort to rekindle that first "love" you felt. Recultivate that feeling and always have the grateful heart!

A Christian who has lost "saltiness" is one who has lost the ability (or at least lessened the ability) to preserve himself from "spoiling"...in essence, using the preservation analogy, salt enables a product to remain fresh longer. A Christian with a comprised heart attitude will eventually begin to act, look, taste, and smell like the world around him--without salt, there is no preservation. Yes, I believe it is possible for a Christian to detect "unsaltiness"...such ways would be actions and attitude. The remedy to "realtify" is prayer, repentance, prayer, restoration, prayer, healing, prayer...and practicing the presence of Christ...to put is simply: Recognize your need to get some 'mo 'dat salt...!

A Christian who has lost his salt will appear to be one, who has given up for standing up for Jesus and what is right. His convictions of what is right, become less and less, without the Spirit leading life that he once had, without daily prayer and conversation with God, without seeking His Kingdom and all his righteousness. It will become apparent to the world, that the person, may slowly over time, start running with their crowd, and acting as they act.

The saltless Christian may still disguise himself to be Christ like but considered hypocritical in his actions by judging someone or something, but doing the same things for which he is being a judge against. This can lead to hypocrisy and also a view, that Christians are the most hypocritical people on the face of the earth.

A life that has lost is savor, or flavor, will be tasteless even to the Godless.

In order to stay salted, we need to continue to Seek God, and pray, and ask for the guidance of the Holy Spirit. To keep our eyes focused on the things that are above. Colossians 3 :2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. Verse three goes on to say "For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." We are hidden with Christ, abiding in him, staying under His wings of Protection and guidance through God. Only by repentenance, and turning from the way of the world, and seeking God, can we regain that which was lost..and hold onto it no matter the cost.

1) The symptoms I experienced, were lifelessness, and trying to live in the "in between" realm...not really fully in the world, but not living for Christ either...no fruitfulness. I was convicted, but trying to ignore it, I had no peace.

2) Yes, I was in this place once...and I was miserable. Knew that willful sin and disobedience had "neutralized" me, and I no longer felt like I could share Christ or be a witness for Him...didn't feel like I belonged anyplace any more. My Dad was violent and abusive, and I was really rebelling against him, because I had mixed his attributes into my idea of who God is.

3) I don't know what people noticed about me, but in others, I notice a facade or fakeness has taken over their demeanor. They may still speak "christianese", but it doesn't ring true anymore. Because I was there once, it's easy to recognize the lack of zeal. The passion for Christ has been diminished. They are "flat" and conflicted, and seem half alive.

4) Thank God I don't "live on that street" anymore. Never want to be in that place of torment again. Feedback I get, is that I'm radical in my faith, stable, an evangelist, approachable, non judgmental, spontaneous and fun, honest, trustworthy, and an encourager to others......I thank God He has given me those gifts, and I live with a new appreciation and zest for life...after being a prodigal daughter who has returned and been welcomed home.

5)YES!!! Thank God. He brought me back to saltiness, through pursuing me with conviction, and wooing me back with His love. I don't regret that time because of all that I learned about the Father He is....He has none of my Dad's negative qualities, and the time in the pig pen caused me to search out who God truly is. I never want to leave the safety of His arms again.

It would be like many people who claim to be christian but would rather live the way of the world, what's in it for me, so to speak.

I believe a true believer will know because he will be convicted by the Holy Spirit living in his heart. They notice everything that he does that is against what he claims to be a christian. Christians notice that you are not walking the walk just talking the talk. I believe that you can always repent and ask God to use you to His benefit and He will forgive you and make you whole if you do it with a pure heart other wise you continue to lose faith and the Holy Spirit leaves you to all your worldly desires.

Q2. (Matthew 5:13)

For a Christian to lose his degree of saltiness, the Gospel would have to diluted in his life. :huh: This person is the complacent Christian, the person who does not protect the Truth of the gospel in his life from the rainfall of other ideas and ideologies. This person mixes the Truth with a myriad of other ideologies.

Or perhaps this Christian is a skeptic. You know, the hair splitting Christian. They say that they believe in Jesus, but they don

Christians who have lost their saltiness, usually don't have time for the things of God. They have blended into the world and it is hard to tell the difference.

With prayer, one could detect this themselves. They could become accountable to a practicing Christian & ask their opinion.

The secular people would love you--and you would fit right into their lives with them.

Christians would probably not have seen you in church for quite a while, and Christian friendships would not be alive & well. You would appear happy, perhaps, but we know you're not!!

Yes, the Holy Spirit could resaltify you. Confess your sins & live wholly for God! Repent!!

A symptom of a Christian who has lost his saltiness would be being passive, no longer willing to press on for the cause of Christ Jesus because of the trials and tribulations of the world. Yes with conviction and pruning by the Holy Spirit and accepting it we would know that we are wrong and should get back to pray and God's word and get back on track. People can notice de-saltified Christians because there would be no living water flowing from them , they would be blah and Christ is not blah He is Ahhhhh. What people shopuld notice is a vibrant life of speaking about Jesus with joy in our hearts and with willing spirits to be helpful and showing love at all times. Can Christians re-salt themselves, I say yes, thankfully. All it takes is prayer.

As a Christian who has lost his "saltiness," the symptoms are we become bland, no taste at all. Yes, sometimes if you are intune with yourself, those around, and with Christ. The world would see a "de-saltified" Christian as person who no longer stand boldly and faithfully for Christ and Christian values, they would become worthless to him. To pont where that Christian would as as a counterfeit to the real salt. I think they see in a person who is constantly at work. I may bring suggestions to the pot, but that is what they are--suggestions. But sometimes I see that other Christians see this as an opportunity to "take over" or become the boss--Now their salt has gone from their life. Their faith has turned away from the real purpose of "being the salt of the earth."

I think the Christian that has lost his/her saltiness starts to loose the zest and vigor for God. Where they once were on fire and full of devotion they fall away some and start to feel listless and restless and start to look to the world for fulfillment and spice.

I do think we can come to realize what has happened to us. In fact I know God will never let go of His own. I think it may take awhile but I know when I've fallen into this myself, the Holy Spirit starts to convict me and I feel a sense of separation and I begin to see the wordly things I'm trying to fill up on are very disatisfying and I eventually become restless enough or disatisfied enough that I'm reminded of where I need to be..... and that is filling myself up with Jesus and abiding again with Him.

Secular people see our wavering in faith as a hypocritical lifestyle. Saying one thing but doing another or that we teach compassion and forgiveness but we aren't practicing it or we teach to not live by wordly measure, but there we are doing it in some areas....even if it is only for a time.

Christian people notice the same things....but where as we are judged harshly by the secular world, Christians (hopefully) restore a brother or sister with encouragement and walk with us to pick us up and help strengthen us with reminders of who it is we are missing!

It is absolutely possible to re-saltify our lives!

Return to our first love. Jesus Christ. And He will restore our souls! He is faithful!

One symptom of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness" is that this person would not stand out in a secular crowd. There would be no distinction in attitude, word, or deed.

I don't know that the believer can actually detect it in himself. I believe it takes God to reveal this.

I believe the Holy Spirit will convict the believer once the believer humbles himself and asks Jesus to be Lord of his life. For example, praying the scriptures: "Search me Oh God, and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me to life everlasting." (Psalm 139)

The symptoms of a Christians who has lost his saltiness is obvious like the salt that has lost its flavor.

He/she will blend into the world to avoid the cost of standing up for Christ. But Christ Jesus says if Christians lose their distinctive saltiness, they become worthless. Just as salt flavor food, we are to preserve the good in the world and bring new flavor to life. This requires careful planning, willing sacrifice, and unswerving commitment to Christ

1. A Christian that has lost his/her saltiness is simply another person in the world.

2. If I, as a Christian, lose my saltiness it would probably be easy to detect but with human pride, easier still to deny.

3. Secular people will not notice a de-salted Christian at all because that person is just like them.

4. I would hope and pray that other Christians would see me as an old salt and tell me if they see any slippage.

5. All things are possible with God and great things are done with repentence, prayer and fasting so yes, one can be re-salted.

Some symptoms of lost saltiness would be when a Christian starts questioning his own faith, or even God. When he finds the pull of society much bigger than his own faith; when he starts longing to be part of the crowd; when he starts rationalizing why he's okay to be on the path he is on without God. A real believer who is starting to succumb to the forces of society, will initially, have feelings of guilt because he knows the Lord, and now momentarily is wanting the temptations of society. Secular people would definitely see a non-committal stance in a de-saltified Christian - an insincerity. I am sure other Christians would notice in me a struggle to give up my self-will to God, and yes, every time God wins this struggle, I am re-saltified.

1. A Christian who has lost his "saltiness" would probably not attend church regularly; not speak against anything that is not Christ like; go back to doing the things that they used to do; would not read their Bible regularly and wouldn't have time to spend with other Christian associates.

2. Yes, I believe that a believer would notice some changes in him/her self even though they may not want to admit it.

3. Secular people would notice that a Christian was "de-saltified" if the Christian went back to saying and doing the things that they had given up or not preaching to them about the sinful things they are doing.

4. A true Christian would notice that there has been a change, but they would try to find out what the problem is and pray with you to ask God for forgiveness.

5. Yes, if you pray and ask God for forgiveness, you can "resaltify" your life.

A Christian who has lost his saltiness might become lazy in attending church. Laugh at and condone unchristianlike behavior. Not stand up for what he claims to believe in. Yes, I believe you can tell if you have lost your saltiness. Secular people say that Christians think they are better than everyone else, yet look they act just as we do. There is no difference. Other Christians may call you a hypocrite as will non christians. Yes it is possible to resaltify yourself, with the help of the Holy Ghost, getting back into God's Word, attending Church. God will refill you.

Symptoms of "loss of saltiness" for a Christian include, spending little time in study and fellowship with brothers & sisters in the faith; not being in the Word on a regular and consistent basis; not having daily conversation wtih the Father; difficulty distinguishing from a person of the world by appearance, words and actionsnot showing fruits of the spirit; and in general not identifieable as a Christian to those you come in contact with.

If you are looking, yes I believe it is possible for a believer to detect symptoms in self. Two clear measures are your prayer life and time in scripture. They are the first to show symptoms.

Secular people will notice the "de-saltified" Christian and make comments like - You are beginning to fit in with the crowd, you are not so rigid and unwavering in your beliefs, you've joined the main stream, you are fun to be with now that you are more tolerant.

Brothers and sisters in the faith may notice you are distancing yourself from the body, you are trying to justify your actions, you are not actively speaking out against evil.

If identified early I believe it is possible if you strengthen time in the Word, prayer, praise and regular fellowship with believers. The longer time passes it is almost like the leaching of NaCl from the salt mixture, it is difficult to impossible to replace.

Turning to the world for answers & compromising their beliefs and doing worldly things and believing it to be okay. Making excuses for doing worldly things. You can not be a part time Christian & only when you want to be. We must state our values and live likewise, forget what the world says and live our lives according to Scripture & be consistent.

What might be the symptoms of a Christian who has lost his "saltiness"?

Lack of joy, enthusiasm, they might not talk about God as much as they use to. I think this is the way that I would show that I had lost my flavor because I am often accused of being all about God. That