JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Worship and Reconciliation without Delay

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)? What is the appropriate action for us to take? How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended? Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)? What is the appropriate action for us to take? How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended? Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

Broken relationship can hinder our relationship with God . If we have a problem or grievance with with a friend, we should resolve the problem as soon as possible. We are hypocrites if we claim to love God while we hate others. Our attitudes toward others reflect our relationships with God. ( 1 John 4: 20 ).

( Mark 11: 25 ) And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in Heaven may forgive you your sins. We must be sensitive to the situations these matters must be addressed quickly. To God, reconciling a relationship is important, it not only frees you but it frees the person in bondage to unforgiveness.

Have the offender confess specifically to the offended what was done or said wrong caused the offense. ( 1 John 1:9 ), demonstrates to the party the offender's godly sorrow, the offender's knowlegge of the sin committed, and the offender's willingness to accept responsibility and consequences for their actions. They are willing to repent and forgive in order to restore the relationship.

If at any time an offender is unwilling to listen to how the offended brother was sinned against, or if the offender is not willing to ask for forgiveness and be reconciled, the offender must be confronted with his unwillingness to change. If the offender persists in a wrong attitude, then you must proceed according to the biblical principles in ( Matthew 18: 15-20 ) If the offender is unwilling to listen or begin the forgiveness process and be reconciled. In that case, the offended must be confronted with his unwillingness to forgive. If the offended does not repent of an unforgiving heart, he must be taken through the next step in the ( Matthew 18: 15- 20 ), process.

If the offender cannot state specifically what he did or said that was wrong, his confession is complete. If the offender finds he cannot remember enough of the facts of his offense, he should ask the offended, ( be sure the offender has the correct spiritual attitude to hear ) to help the offender recall from the offended's perspective, what was done or said wrongly. If not able to remember then best to leave it alone and pray the Holy Spirit will reveal what ever it was.

If the offended is not willing to share how he was sinned against by the offense, he may be acting as a Pharisee ( Not really wronged, but only interested in being judgemental in a unbiblical way ( Matthew 7:1-5 ). Or, if the offended is not willing to seek reconciliation and is hanging on to his bitterness and resentment, the offended should be confronted with his " unspiritualness" and if unwilling to change, should be taken to the next step in the ( Matthew 18: 15-20 ) process.

Why does Jesus treat calling someone a fool in the same classification as murder?

My first guess would be that it is foolish to break the law and it is like a fool to break Yahweh's law. The law was written: Thou shalt not kill. (Exodus 20:13 and again the same in Deuteronomy 5:17) Yah

If we worship whilst a brother has something against us, or we have something against a brother, our worship is in vain. Unless we repent, seek forgiveness and are willing to forgive, our worship doesn't mean anything. If there is something against us, or we have something against someone, we must seek ammends, be willing to make ammends and be willing to forgive. In doing so, should there be a barrier to it, we should at least have a willing heart in making those ammends. Sometimes there are indeed situations where we cannot or it isn't appropriate to make ammends directly...these situations include ones where attempting to make ammends would cause a further rift, or further injury to someone.

If we are trying to attempt to worship God and had something against a brother/sister and don't ask God to forgive that person, it is impsssible to think that God will forgive you. The appropriate action to take is when you are praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him so that our Father in heaven may forgive you your sins (v25). We should ask that person to forgive you if you have offend them. Not there are not any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve.

When there is something between us and another brother that thing needs to be cleared up before we can truly approach God in an attitude of worship. If it is left undone it will drain us spiritually and usually will widen the gap between the two parties involved. The appropriate action is for us to first seek God in prayer and then go and try to make it right as soon as we learn or are aware of the offense. We must make and effort to seek forgiveness and bring peace to the situation. We must do all within our power to right the situation so that we can stand before the Lord with a pure heart, a clear mind, and a clear conscience . Even if we cannot resolve the situation we still should make the effort to be Christ-like by making the offer to try and bring peace.

We are not worshipping God with a clean heart if we know someone has something against us. The appropriate action to take is to initiate reconciliation with our brother or sister. We are to do whatever we can to heal the relationship.

We are to go as far as possible in the reconciliation process. If we humbly approach the person and they don't want to be reconciled, then you leave it with God. There are no situations you shouldn't try to resolve if you can. Ask God for His leading. Sometimes there are broken relationships & the other person is not alive. You do what you can with the help of the Lord & let Him heal you.

What I thought was interesting, is that our pastor, our last communion day, while we were in prayer before receiving communion, he was confronted by God about a relationship he had to mend. So he shared with us that he was not going to take communion with us for that reason. After that service, he made a call to try to mend that relationship with the person God had laid on his heart. Wow! That really spoke to me about how important those relationships are to God & should be to us as well.

If our heart is dealing with an issue it is not fully focused on loving God. This contamination makes it impossible for us to be open to worship. When we seek forgiveness from God and man we have processed 'the event' and allowed the other person, and more importantly God's perpective into the scenario.

The process (with God's consultation) needs to be initiated and the heart set on reconcilliation, however this does not always happen. The need is to keep the physical and spiritual intent on alert to bring the reconcilliation - this might not eventuate, however our part is to love.

We are trying to worship with unclean hearts, we need to seek forgiveness for any sin inour hearts before trying to worship a pure and Holy God.

We should first seek God in prayer asking forgivness for any sin in our hearts, then we should seek to bereconciled to whomever we have sinned against.

We should go as for as it takes to seek them out and offer our humbleness and heart fealt offering of reconcilation. We are to purify our hearts and that comes as we seek forgiveness from anyone we sin against and then a heart felt seeking of the forgiveness of God.

There are some that we can't resolve these must beleft for Godto deal with inHis time He aloneis our creater. He alone directs the steps of men andin His timing reeconcilation will come about. We can't change someone's heart who is angry with us and refuses to accept our apoligy but God in His time can soften the hardest of hearts if it be His will for them.

When we worship we must worship Him with pure heart, this can never be done when you are in wrong with someone else.

Broken relationship can hinder our relationship with God. If we have a problem or grievance with a friend or brother, we should resolve the problem as soon as possible. We are hypocrites if we claim to love God while we hate others. Our attitudes toward others reflect our relationship with God.

To pray while bearing a grudge, is like a tree sprouting leaves and bearing no fruits

My worship would be vain repititions trapped by the sin of the offense. If I am aware that I have offended someone, and dismiss it as inconsequential, I have not understood my Lord's instruction to love one another. To quote Francis Frangipane, "Pride is the armor of hell". And an indifference to my brother's pain definitely smacks of pridefulness. Humility is the antidote. I can't control how the person receives my apology, but I can control how I approach him to seek his forgiveness.

I have experienced situations that were potentionally volatile and I knew "we" couldn't bring it to a healthy resolution but would be wholly dependent on God.

I believe I heard the Lord call us out from a beloved church. I presented my discernment to my husband. He confirmed it. We loved our church family but the time had come to leave. I knew this action of leaving could easily be perceived as an "offense" against the church by some of the leadership. (Based upon struggles others had when they left the congregation).

And so I prayed and prayed for Godly timing and expression and for the church leadership's protection from the deceits of the enemy. I prayed there would be no rending or tearing in the relationships. God is good and faithful. He guided our words and actions and he guarded our hearts. We still managed to hit some rough patches but that was due to all those pesky flesh-natures still in play.

The enemy was persistent and even five months after the separation, the enemy was still at work trying to drum up hurt between some of the church leadership and this family.

So, is this a situation that can be resolved? I believe so with prayer and petition and forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness.

I know I must be resolved to seek Christ's heart for the situation. His Holy Spirit has brought me up short several times for entertaining resentment for the "skirmish" we endured because we tried to separate. I am now often called to pray blessings for this church leadership. (I probably pray more for the leadership now than I ever did as a member of the congregation.... go figure. Praise God!)

The reconciliation will come when the Holy Spirit is "allowed" to bring healing and our being called away is viewed through the light of God's truth rather than the darkness of that leader's personal woundings.

And so can this ever be resolved? With God's help, YES! AMEN!

If Jesus commands us to do a thing and we do not do then we are in sin. If we are in sin, God cannot hear us therefore our worship is in vain.

Whenever possible it is necessary to make amends before we offer our worship.

I feel that we must go the mile and the twain to reconcile with a person that we have offended, even if that person will not receive it. As God discerns our hearts He knows when a sincere effort has been made on our part.

If we are the offending party we should attempt reconciliation in any situation, if possible. If we can't resolve the issue at the very least, the Lord knows that we've tried our best.

When we hold something against someone or they against us we have an" unclean "heart so we need to "cleanse" our hearts before we seek worship with God.

We should seek God in prayer and ask for forgiveness and then try to reconcile with whomever we have wronged or whomever has wronged us.

We should go as far as needed to work out our differences. Sometimes it will not happen so we should let God through our prayers work with us and the person whom was affected. God softens the hardest hearts if it is his will. He works in many ways to answer our prayers.

1) It's impossible to worship God in Spirit & in truth, when we have a guilty conscience.....we're distracted by the issue which takes our focus off of God and onto either our offense against someone, or theirs against us.

2)to go to the person in humility and seek to be reconciled through confession and repentance and forgiveness if it will be given by the offended party.

3) As far as we can take it as long as the other party is willing to discuss it.

4)I think there are. If the offended party refuses to forgive and to be reconciled, or if the offending party is unwilling to be reconciled. We can only do our part, and leave the matter in the Lord's hands.

I find this question most interesting and how it relates to a current situation that is taking place in the County I live in. We have a local church that has been very outspoken and strongly opposed to the building of an Islamic Mosque in the same township that they recently built their new church. The Senior Pastor states that those people don't worship the same God as we worship. Unless something has changed Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the same God just in different methods. This attitude goes against every aspect of the message that Jesus was addressing in this question.

1. We are supposed to love our brother and forgive them if there is bitterness between us. We are supposed to turn the other cheek, but if we can't forgive our brother, how can we say that we are worshipping with a pure heart. Our heart is not where God wants it to be. We are mocking God if we are worshipping and we haven't repented of our sins.

2. We should go to our brother and reconcile our differences and repent of our sins.

3. We should do anything that is possible to reconcile the differences even if it takes more than two or more tries and do it as soon as possible.

4. No, we should humbly try to resolve any issues that are causing issues with you and your brother.

5. I'm sure that there are some situations that no matter how hard you try, a person will not reconcile, but after you do your part, just leave it in the hands of God.

1. We are supposed to love our brother and forgive them if there is bitterness between us. We are supposed to turn the other cheek, but if we can't forgive our brother, how can we say that we are worshipping with a pure heart. Our heart is not where God wants it to be. We are mocking God if we are worshipping and we haven't repented of our sins.

2. We should go to our brother and reconcile our differences and repent of our sins.

3. We should do anything that is possible to reconcile the differences even if it takes more than two or more tries and do it as soon as possible.

4. No, we should humbly try to resolve any issues that are causing issues with you and your brother.

5. I'm sure that there are some situations that no matter how hard you try, a person will not reconcile, but after you do your part, just leave it in the hands of God.

Greetings in His name, God wants us to worship Him with PURE HEART and if we have something against someone we can't worship with a sincere heart, it holds us back from true worship. I just heard my sister tell me that "we live in the real world and God can't help us" I pray for her and lift up her cares and needs to the Helper that I know that has not left His throne nor did He give His authority to anyone else, so when we go to Him and give it all to Him He for sure trades us for much better and beautiful things. The mentality of the world is not trusting in Jesus, we who do trust in Him set the example thaat His trust is true and worthy. Everything can be resolved with Jesus.There is nothing He can not do. Praise God.

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24)

What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)?

What is the appropriate action for us to take?

When we are at prayer, we must remember to pray for others, particularly for our enemies, and those that have wronged us; now we cannot pray sincerely that God would do them good, if we bear malice to them, and wish them ill. If we have injured others before we pray, we must go and be reconciled to them; Mt. 5:23, 24. But if they have injured us, we go a nearer way to work, and must immediately from our hearts forgive them. [1.] Because this is a good step towards obtaining the pardon of our own sins: Forgive, that your Father may forgive you; that is, "that he may be qualified to receive forgiveness, that he may forgive you without injury to his honour, as it would be, if he should suffer those to have such benefit by his mercy, as are so far from being conformable to the pattern of it." [2.] Because the want of this is a certain bar to the obtaining of the pardon of our sins; "If ye do not forgive those who have injured you, if he hate their persons, bear them a grudge, meditate revenge, and take all occasion to speak ill of them, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." This ought to be remembered in prayer, because one great errand we have to the throne of grace, is, to pray for the pardon of our sins: and care about it ought to be our daily care, because prayer is a part of our daily work. Our Saviour often insists on this, for it was his great design to engage his disciples to love one another.

How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?

If we are worshipping and remember that our brother has something against us, we are to leave our gift behind and first be reconciled to our brother.

Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

Reconciliation may be possible if we will humble ourselves. And even if it is not possible, we must make a sincere attempt if we would seek to fulfill the spirit of the Law. After all, the Law is not really about murder and stealing. It is about love and reconciliation. That is the spirit of the Law.

We must be willing to reconcile with our "brothers and sisters." Without reconciliation, we cannot worship God if we don't reconcile with our fellow "brothers and sisters." In order to take action, we must humble ourselves and seek forgiveness we are snubbed. We may be snubbed, but we must still go and seek reconciliation. Even if it is not possible, we must make a sincere attempt if we would seek to fulfill the spirit of the Law. After all, the Law is not really about murder and stealing. It is about love and reconciliation. Thatis the spirit of the Law.

Conflict with a brother or sister in Christ should be resolved either by justice or by grace. Justice if we live by the law, grace if we live by grace. If a brother sins against us and asks to be forgiven, how many times should we forgive him? It is a two sided coin and I have been on both sides, either asking to be forgiven or being asked to forgive.

2 Peter chapter 1 describes not only how our relationship to one another should be but it also promises this: 2 Peter 1:10Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall, 11 and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We should go as far as possible to resolve any conflict with one another because that conflict may come between us and the Lord.

The only situations which cannot be resolved are those denied. Bill Clinton said, "I never had sex with that woman." and after a TEN MILLION DOLLAR trial and a SIXTY MILLION DOLLAR law suit the situation still remains unresolved. California governor Schwarzenegger faced almost the same problem while he was running for office. He publicly appologized and when asked later about his wrongful conduct he simply said, "Old news." and left. Cost nothing. One admitted guilt and asked to be forgiven the other denied any guilt.

Darrell

When we come to the Lord to worship Him, if we want His full audience, we need to put on the gift of Christ's righteousness. We need then, to make everything as right as possible with our fellowman first so as not to bring impurity or ill feelings with us. We are to approach this person directly to attempt reconciliation. If our attempts to reconcile are not accepted by our brother, we are to leave that matter between him and God. The fact that we did attempt to reconcile to the best of our ability is what matters. We cannot resolve anything without relying on God's guidance and we can't ever resolve anything on behalf of another.

Q3. (Matthew 5:23-24) What's wrong with worshipping while a brother has something against us (or us against a brother, Mark 11:25)?

We are to approach God with worship only with a Pure Heart. If we have an issue that needs to be resolved we should resolve that issue so it does not lay heavy and produce a burden upon our heart.

What is the appropriate action for us to take?

The action needed to resolve this matter can be found in the olive branch of peace approach to those we have offended or to those who have offended us. How can God forgive you if you cannot forgive those who have sinned against you? Ones heart sure be pure, clean and free from trouble when approaching the Lord.

How far should we go to bring about reconciliation with someone whom we have offended?

We should do everything in our power toward resolving the issues at hand. We are told to humble ourselves, swallow our pride, get out of ego, and go and forgive thy brother/sister or seek forgiveness from them, even if they are not willing to forgive us we are to continue trying to offer that olive branch of peace between us.

Are there any situations that we shouldn't try to resolve? Or that we can't resolve?

There will be situations when we will be dealing with a hardened heart and reconcililation isn't received but we should at least try at reconciliation above all other things so that Our Father will see that our heart is in the right place we're just dealing with a harden heart that doesn't desire reconciliation, a heart that doesn't seek peace.

I see that we are all a part of one body. When one part is affected by anything, then all are affected. If we come to worship with something against another, that in turn has repercussions for everyone. It's false and actually deceptive. We see it in church every day! People holding offenses and divisions running through though these are mostly silent or kept within our own "groups."

A house divided can not stand and we see this outwardly taking place as churches crumble and congregations separate all because of these under lying offenses that are allowed to fester and grow out of proportion!

The appropriate action is to try to go to those we have offended or who we perceive offended us and if both parties are true Christ followers there will be open discussion in love and an attempt to understand the other. We may not come to agreement but we can come away with gracious understanding of the situation or belief. We can part in love and peace knowing we followed through on what Jesus asked us to do. There is great blessing in that even if agreement never follows!

How far we go is forever! Even if the other person chooses to not reconcile, we can continue to show love and acceptance to them We can still greet then kindly, live in peace by them and be open to them. We don't need to "make" them reconcile.....but our actions should always be pure towards them.

There are situations that can not be reconciled. We can't just follow any folly or any thing or teaching for the sake of peace, but our hearts can remain soft in praying for others and in readiness with the shoes of peace if hearts are turned or softened.