JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Don't Retaliate

• 1 month later...
Q4. (Matthew 5:38-42) If we were to assume that Jesus is teaching on retaliation and revenge rather than pacifism in verses 38-42, how would you sum up his teaching in a single sentence?

Jesus wants us to do more than is required of us by our enemies, By those who are trying to use us, by those who are trying to take advantage of us. Rather than turn on them with resistance and retaliation we are to-- in love for them-- give them more than they require. Where there is hatered we give love. turn the other cheek and bless them.

Q4. (Matthew 5:38-42) If we were to assume that Jesus is teaching on retaliation and revenge rather than pacifism in verses 38-42, how would you sum up his teaching in a single sentence?

Seize the moment of distress to show kindness to him that hates us, with the same love Yah

A quote from Christ's own words Luke 6:38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Darrell

1)I like how Peter said it: Never return evil for evil or insult for insult (scolding, tongue-lashing, berating), but on the contrary blessing (praying for their welfare, happiness, and protection, and truly pitying and loving them) :For know that to this you have been called, that you may yourselves inherit a blessing (from God). I Peter 3:9 amplified

Q4. (Matthew 5:38-42) If we were to assume that Jesus is teaching on retaliation and revenge rather than pacifism in verses 38-42, how would you sum up his teaching in a single sentence.

:rolleyes:LOVE ALL OF GOD'S CHILDREN WITH THE SAME KIND OF LOVE WHICH HE LOVES US.

Don't retaliate against anyone but forgive them in love and show the love of Christ in all you do.

Retaliation should never take place, but rather the showing of love to all people

I sum up his teaching in verses 38-42 in this sentence: Do more than is required of us by our enemies and give them more than they require.

If we were to assume that Jesus is teaching on retaliation and revenge rather than pacifism, I would sum up His teaching this way. Love your enemies, anyone can love their friends.

I do believe that the Lord is teaching many things in this passage, and one thing is both about pacifism (non-violent action) as well as for us, His followers, not to seek retaliation nor revenge against what our enemies do against us; but rather, to seek to love them with God’s love and let the Lord have His rule over our lives and have His revenge for us over them as He said, “Revenge will be Mine, says the Lord.”

Pacifism 1: opposition to war or violence as a means of settling disputes; specifically : refusal to bear arms on moral or religious grounds

2: an attitude or policy of nonresistance

If I understood the question correctly it is saying that Jesus is teaching me to retaliate and take revenge against those who have harmed me and that I would be justified in protecting myself against evil such as the Pharisee's taught through what they believed their interrputation of the scriptures.

But we know that Jesus did not teach this instead he teaches us,

To love one another as he has loved us.

THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS OF LOVE, AND REVENGE IS UNACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR.

• 3 weeks later...

Love your enemies and prayer for those who persecute you.