JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Greed and the Rich Fool

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Luke 12:15-21) Read the Parable of the Rich Fool. What did Jesus condemn him for? Storing his harvest? What is the key verse in this passage? What is the context of this parable? How does this relate to the Sermon on the Mount?

The Parable of the Rich fool ( Luke 12: 13-21 ) In this parable, Jesus makes a profound statement we all should listen to very carefully. He states in verse ( 15 ) that " ONE'S LIFE DOES NOT CONSIST IN THE ABUNDANCE OF THINGS HE POSSESSES. " The parable of the rich fool suggests this very thing. This parable tells of a rich man who has yielded a great crop. He decides to tear down old barns and build newer, bigger barns. Thenafter he is done, he decides to retire, so to speak, thinking that he has enough stored up to last many years. Now he can sit back, relax, and take it easy. What happens? God call him a fool and says that his life is required of him that day. Jesus completes this parable by saying, ' SO IS HE WHO LAYS UP TREASURE FOR HIMSELF, AND IS NOT RICH TOWARD GOD.' So many of us long for the day we can sit back and enjoy our fortune we have been saving up for retirement and take the path of easiness. This man was ruled by his wealth, thinking of all he had accumlated, only to die that night and see his wealth squandered and split up. He was unable to take it with him.

This relates to the sermon on the mount in the part of giving to the poor. Loving your neighbor as your self--if a man has a need for a shirt and you have extra, give him one-- be a cheerful giver, honoring God in your giving from what ever you have. Loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, " For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. The context of this parable is where his heart was. His heart was full of greed. He was hoarding his possesions

• 3 weeks later...

Worrying about his future the rich fool puts away much that he may never live to spend and preoccupies his thinking about his money. Jehovah Jireh is our Provider and we are to depend upon Him day by day. Not only is that faith but security as well as He will always prove Himself true. In addition, we must seek the Kingdom of God before all things. This was one of the key messages of the Sermon on the Mount.

Q1. (Luke 12:15-21) Read the Parable of the Rich Fool. What did Jesus condemn him for? Storing his harvest? What is the key verse in this passage? What is the context of this parable? How does this relate to the Sermon on the Mount?

Jesus condemned him for his greed and his independent of God, not for storing his harvest

The key verse in this passage is verse 15, that is,

Jesus condemned the rich man for his greed. He valued his earthly treasures more than he loved God. He went beyond what is sensible in preparing for the future. The key verse is, 'This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.' It relates to the Sermon on the Mount by teaching us not to put idols, treasures, anything before God.

"This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God." There are many ways to give toward God. But the first thing to realize is the kingdom of God is the people, not a church building nor a certain church or person; but the people who have received His Spirit. Luke 17:20 Once, having been asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, "The kingdom of God does not come with your careful observation, 21 nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is within you."(NIV)

There are some people who work for a dollar and work very hard for that dollar. But there are others who work because they have a desire to fulfill a need. Their family may need food, or shelter, and they work very hard to meet that need. Another may see a need of someone outside their family and work hard to fulfill that need in return for payment. The purpose for which we work is where the reward is.

I have found that the person who only works for the paycheck will seldom, if at all, do anything beyond what is required, but the person who works to fulfill a need often adds joy to the job.

Jesus is not condemning the man for saving for the future but He is condemning him for thinking that he is the only person of concern.

Darrell

Q1. (Luke 12:15-21) Read the Parable of the Rich Fool. What did Jesus condemn him for?

For laying up treasures for "himself." All the words describing the heart of the Rich Fool are, My - I - I will - My soul. His life is centered on pleasing "self." -- We are a fool if our life is centered on "self" - we are rich if our life is centered on "God"

What is the key verse in this passage? What is the context of this parable? How does this relate to the Sermon on the Mount?

Luke 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

We are to take heed that covetousness does not fill our hearts. I believe "covetousness" is the key word, because of its meaning, "excessively greedy " - "fraudulency" greedy for the things of this world, with the goal to please "self." If we want to be rich, our goal should be to please God, not self. :huh:

A HUGE thank you to all who prayed for us while we were in Utah with family, and to those who sent notes of encouragement...I felt uplifted and carried by your prayers. The Lord protected these old bones when I slipped on the ice and took a hard fall on my tail bone and low back...nothing broken except my camera. Several days later, my brother said that my camera was hopeless...then showed me his new camera, bought several weeks earlier.. Then he said "I didn't understand why at the time, but it was such a great price, I bought two...here's yours." AMAZING....same make as my old one, but newer, lighter weight, more features, so I already knew how to use it! God is so FAITHFUL!!!! THANK YOU LORD! I'm thankful too, for several opportunies we had to share our Lord with 3 family members. We are believing Him for their salvation and deliverance.

1) Jesus condemned the Rich Fool for his greedy motive in storing his harvest...not for storing the harvest. His motive was to put his trust in the stored harvest, in order to be independent of his need to trust in the Lord of the Harvest.

2)The key verse is v. 15 "And He said to them, Guard yourselves and keep free from all covetousness (the immoderate desire for wealth, the greedy longing to have more; for a man's life does not consist in and is not derived from possessing overflowing abundance or that which is over and above his needs."

3)The context was Jesus' response to someone in the crowd saying "Master, order my brother to divide the inheritance and share it with me". Jesus' then told them the parable which points to the foolishness of hoarding possessions as a means of feeling secure, while ignoring a relationship with THE ONE WHO provides our possessions and daily needs.

4)This parable and the Sermon on the Mount, both contain cautions against greedy storing/hoarding of wealth, which is temporal, while ignoring ones spiritual poverty/condition. He tells us is both cases, to instead, store up treasures in Heaven, which are eternal.

He condemn him because He gave God no credit for what he had he felt that eveything he had he had produced and that he had nothing to worry about or work for. God wants us to thank Him for the blessings He gives us and always remember that all good things come down from the Father of heavenly lights and not get prideful and think that we are the providers of our needs.

I think the key is where the rich man had said to himself 'You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.'"

He had became prideful in himself thinking that he had provided for himself not giving thanks to the Lord for what he had and not having the love of God in his heart toward his fellow man.

The context is that we give thanks to God for what we have and not let our pride to lead us away from God and always being willing to share the blessing that God give us with those in need.

It relates to the sermon on the Mount in it teachs us that we are to give thank and to show love toward those who are not as well off as we are. To always give and seek no repayment. Serve God, and love our neighbor as our selves.

Q1. (Luke 12:15-21) Read the Parable of the Rich Fool. What did Jesus condemn him for? Being a fool to trust in earthly wealth. (greed)

Storing his harvest?

What is the key verse in this passage?

What is the context of this parable? Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even when you have a lot. It is better to fill our barn with the goods from God than with self serving goods.

How does this relate to the Sermon on the Mount? They both describe chasing after things of this world that are fleeting, rather than chasing after God who is eternal.

PS: TO JANMARY: I am beleiving for their salvation as well. He is faithful!

I believe Jesus condemned the man for placing his trust and security in his possessions. The man's actions were a picture of selfishness and his motive of greed. The key verse is Luke 12:15. The context of this parable deals with covetousness and it relates to the Sermon on the Mount because Jesus taught that we are store our treasures in heaven and not on earth...as what is of the earth are temporal and will decay and the things of heaven are eternal.

The rich fool was condemned not for storing up material things but for not being rich toward God (Luke 12:21). The rich fool thought he could become so self-sufficient that he did not need anything or anybody else. This all-consuming desire to be independent even from God does not take into account eternity. Storing up treasure on earth will do no good to anyone in the long run because that does not last. Storing up treasure in heaven with God endures into eternity and is secure. (Matthew 6:19-21)

This also reminds me of 1 Timothy 6:6-7: "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it."

Jesus condemned him for covetousness. He commands us to be good stewards of what He gives us and this includes helping the poor and needy. The key verse is "be on your guard against all covetousness". We should rely on God for our "daily bread". He has control of everything in our lives. The sermon on the mount says that if God gives us good things we should be wise and share, but our whole goal in life should not be to get possessions.

Question: Waht did Jesus condemn him for? Answer: Jesus condenm him for storing up his wealth on earth not in heaven. Question: What is the key verse in this passage?: Answer: Watch out. Be on your guard against all kinds of greed. a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions (v 15). Question: What is the context of this parble?: Answer: The Parable of the Rich Fool. Question: How does this relate to the Sermon on the Mount?: Answer: This relates to when Jesus was speaking in Matthew 6:20, store your treasures in heaven, and in Luke 12:21, in this context it probaly more specifically refers to using one's material wealth for good causes.

Q1. (Luke 12:15-21) Read the Parable of the Rich Fool. What did Jesus condemn him for? Storing his harvest?

Jesus was condemning the Rich Foolish man's type of storage because it consisted of greed, acquistiveness, for his love of money and the love that he was independent from God.

The Key verse of this passage for me was: For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

What is the context of this parable? How does this relate to the Sermon on the Mount?

It contains the same amount of greed and self centerness and storing things up where you store no treasures in heaven.

I think that he condemned him for thinking all he would need in life was a good crop and a place to store it instead of his relationship to God. He should have shared some of it with poor people.

The key message was verse 15 Guard against greed...a man's life does not consist in the ambundance of his posessions.

You can't take your earthly possession to heaven, only things that you store with God.

How is it related to the sermon on the mount? they both express the need to share and not be so self centered!

What do we do with our abundance? The man in this parable was so thrilled with his good crop. He knew he had more than enough to last for a long time so he made up his mind to build bigger barns to store the excess so he could take life easy from that time on. Little did he know that God had other plans and he would not live to see the next morning. Jesus condemned him for his greed. We do need to plan and use resources wisely including planning for our future. However, we must never let things get in the way of our love for God and must always remember that ultimately things do not belong to us but are from the Lord. Our plans must be based on using our material things to share with others and thus to glorify God as this is what He taught us to do.Jesus is protesting against the kind of storing up that is a symptom of greed and acquisitiveness, of the love of money, and a love of the independence from God that it seems to allow.

21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money." (Matthew 6:19-24)

These verses remind us that God must have first place in our lives.

I think that the problem is the thinking of the farmer he gives no consideration to give to God or man in need only to his own greed. He did not acknowledge the source of his fortune or pray what to do. His treasure were in his thoughts of greed and the outcome of his thoughts were to eat drink and be merry.

This relates to the Sermon on the Mount in knowing what realm we really are in.

Jesus was condemning him for selfishness and for not seeking the kingdom of God.The key verse is"watch out and guard yourselves from every kind of greed.because a person's true life is not made up of the things he owns,no matter how rich he may be"

The context of this parable:seek ye the Kingdom of God first.

To the sermon on the mountain this relate by teaching that we must spare riches for ourselves in heaven.where nobody can take it away from you.

Condemned for being greedy and selfish.He was only thinking of himself and his possessions. Don't think yourself rich, but a good steward of what God has entrusted to you. Share and be thankful for what you have. Give so God can give back to you. Save for a rainy day but also give of your abundance--do not hoard. No-one who is of Christ can remain greedy, selfish and not give ( share) with others.

Riches, Faith, Love.

HE KEPT EVERYTHING FOR HIMSELF AND FOR LATER IN HIS LIFE.. HE WAS GREEDY .AS CHRISTIANS OUR OWN HAPPINESS COMES FROM THE LORD.AND WE DO COME FROM ROYALTY BEING THE KING OF KINGS DAUGHTER AND HE WILL GIVE US ALL THE THINGS OUR HEARTS DESIRE.. IF IT IS IN HIS WILL.. WE ARE VERY RICH IN HIS LOVE ..THAT IS THE ONLY RICHES WE WILL EVER NEED ..AND MONEY IS NOTHING COMPARE TO HIM AND HIS GLORY ...HAVING GOD NUMBER ONE IN MY LIFE ..IS ALL THE RICHES I NEED AND WILL EVER NEED !!!!

Jesus condemned him for thinking only of himself & how to store up more & more goods. There is a time to store up your harvest especially if you have a family to care for or planning for the near future. But not at the expense of not giving to others--thinking about how Jesus would have reacted in that position.

v.15--"Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

This parable was in answer to a man fighting his brother for the inheritance he had rec'd. His eyes were on himself--not on God. Seek for storing up things of heaven--not things that can be destroyed.

Where your treasure is there will be your heart.

1) No thanks or recognition to God for providing & no thoughts for the needs of others. It is not that God does not want us to enjoy life. God provides so that we can bless others (need to have the attitude of sharing). His selfishness that Jesus did not like (There are 6

What did Jesus condemn him for?

Jesus condemned him for his greed - his attitude was one of self-perservation. He was not thinking of the Lord but himself and his relationship with our Lord was not his focus.

Storing his harvest?

I don't believe that it was the storing of the harvest that was the problem - it was the attitude behind the act.

'You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy, eat, drink and be merry.'

What is the context of this parable?

This parable shows greed and self-centredness that all this person is worried about is themselves, and has forgotten their relationship with God.

How does this relate to the Sermon on the Mount?

It relates to the Sermon on the Mount because Jesus is preaching about the heavenly treasures that can onkly be stored if we have that relationship with God. If we are focussed on earthly treasures our relationship with God suffers.