JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Storing Up Treasures on Heaven or Earth

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 6:19) Jesus says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...." Is he speaking figuratively? Hyperbolically? Generally? Specifically? Is this a new teaching, or an old one?

Jesus was speaking Specifically, "Where is your treasure? " So many things come to mind when I think of what Jesus is saying in these verses. Are you earthly minded or heavenly minded? Are you investing in the future eternity to come, or are you investing in the here and now? Are you enthralled with the temporary versus the permanant? Now obviously all of these are asking the same thing, but it is very important that we fully grasp this thought. Jesus uses the three examples below to show how the things we deem most important are only tempory. He uses the moth, rust, and the thief. We can all think of examples of these things in our lives. For instances, someone drives a new car off the lot so proudly. They love this vehicle. They have the windows rolled down and the music cranked as they want the world to know they have just bought this new car! The next thing you know, a little humility comes as they are sideswiped, and their new shiny car is destroyed and no longer of value.

This is an old teaching: In the final statement in verse ( 21 ), Jesus goes back to the heart: " FOR WHERE YOURE TREASURE IS, THERE YOUR HEART WILL BE ALSO." one of the ten commandments states: ' YOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER GODS BEFORE ME' ( Exodus 20: 3 ). When we set our hearts on things of this earth and fall to the temptation of being wordly in our ways, we are committing idolatry.

( Matthew 6: 19-24 ) No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other, You cannot serve God and mammom' ( matthew 6:19- 24 )

The temptations we face as believers is the temptation of being like the world in seeking treasures on this earth. So often, we look at the things of this earth and say to ourselves, " If only I had that, then I would be all set." We seek to find security and satisfaction in temporary things instead of what we already have in our relationship with God the Father through Jesus Christ. Both of these temptations want our attention, and both distract us from what truly matters-- " For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that Jesus was being very specific here. As pointed out, beyond making certain that we have what we need to survive and live a life that He has given us why would we need to gather wealth? Today's financial woes are what they are because of that very reason. People looked at real estate and saw escalating prices and value and didn't bother to see that all was an illusion. Their greed prevented them from knowing that an adjustment was going to be made and the real value would come forth. So, here we are. People are stuck in houses they cannot afford or additional properties they can't unload. Banks are foreclosing and they too are stuck with properties destroying their liquidity.

In the Old Testament God told the Jews to leave Egypt with basically what they could carry. He promised to provide for them while guiding them to the Promised land. Jesus wants to do the same today.

Q2. (Matthew 6:19) Jesus says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...." Is he speaking figuratively? Hyperbolically? Generally? Specifically? Is this a new teaching, or an old one?

About what Jesus says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth....", he is speaking specifically, that it is about the kind of storing up that is a symptom of greed, of love of money, and a love of the independence from God that it seems to allow

This is not a new teaching, but a old one. I think God taught his people in the Old Testament era this teaching also. Hebrews 11 shows to us the lives of faithful persons who applied this teaching. They were willing to have nothing in the world because of his faith because they knew that they would get far better things, eternal treasures in heaven. One example of them is Moses, he was willing to lose his treasures of Egypt in order to obtain the treasures on heaven (Hebrews 11: 26)

I believe God is speaking Specifically! It takes us to the First commandment, Love the Lord God with all our hearts. If our life is centered on God, our goals in life will not be centered on the treasures of this world, so to please self; The results being, liberation, freedom to enjoy our time here on earth, resting in Him. :rolleyes:

I think it is specifically, not looking at the think that we pocess as our own they all belong to God and we must be willing to share what we have with those in need. We must always give God thanks and always feel the need to help those who can't help themselves. God is our provider and we need to remember that and lwt those around us know that we believe and show it in our actions. I think it is an old one just taught a differant way like in pastors lesson Malachi tells us to bring thinks into the store house. We are to be a blessing to other as God blesses us not allowing thing to become between us and the God who is our provider.

Q2. (Matthew 6:19) Jesus says, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth...." Is he speaking figuratively?

I don

All of the above...the verse that comes to mind is when Paul said he has learned to be content in all things...in plenty and and in want...and that in essence Christ is His all in all...(paraphrase mine)... When God strips you of all ... and you walk through times of want and total dependence on Him, you learn that anything on earth is His and you only have it because He gave it to you. This is only learned by revelation and by walking out the truth of that revelation. No text can "teach" you that...you need revelation and life application.

So, in answer to is this a new teaching or an old one -- the answer would have to be an old teaching...and I believe it to be the First Commandment.

My favorite quote comes from D.L Moody, "I hold very loosely to the things of this world because I never know when God may require them of me." What a contrast to the bumper stickers which say, "The one who wins is the person who dies with the most toys."

We speak of God, faith, Christ's death and resurrection, His love and His provision, but we seldom speak of what God requires of us. If we look at every verse which requires something from us as a figure of speech; then shouldn't we look at His love and His provisions as figurative? From there it is only a short step to say, "When God created the heavens and earth, it should not be taken literally."

When Christ spoke in parables He began with, "Let me tell you a little story." Those stories had value to those who understood the meaning, and little meaning to those who missed the value. The parables of Christ always had a "YOU SEE TIMMY" moral to them and were often missed, prompting Jesus to question the people He spoke to. Mark 4:13 Then Jesus said to them, "Don't you understand this parable? How then will you understand any parable? (niv)

Jesus spoke of the "abundant life" and only one disciple figured it was the life which forty pieces of silver could buy, most of the others suffered beatings, hunger, imprisonment, and death. Then how is the abundant life and "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth" the same. To know the love of God, that is the abundant life. To know that there is life after death is wonderful in deed but to know we will be caught up in His love forever is the abundant life.

Luke 12:45 But suppose the servant says to himself, 'My master is taking a long time in coming,' and he then begins to beat the menservants and maidservants and to eat and drink and get drunk. 46 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers.

Old or a new way of thinking? Genesis 13:10 Lot looked up and saw that the whole plain of the Jordan was well watered, like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt, toward Zoar.(niv) Lot chose to go to the money and the security which it provided. How closely sin associates itself with money and the "good life" is the problem along with the difficulty of letting go of the good life even when God says let go of it. Genesis 19:26 But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt. (niv)

It is a good thing to know where you are coming from, but it is much better to know where you are headed....

Darrell

Jesus is speaking specifically and literally. Treasures on earth decay and are stolen. What a waste of time especially if storing up treasures on earth is done with disregard to storing up treasure in heaven. This is an old teaching as we can see in Jeremiah 2:11-13. "... But My people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols. Be appalled at this, O heavens, and shudder with great horror," declares the LORD. "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken Me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."

The treasures that Jesus wants us to focus on are the gifts He gives - love, joy, peace, longsuffering, etc. All material things will pass away. This is a thread that runs throughout the Bible

1) Jesus was reaffirming the Old Testament teaching, speaking specifically. In Ezekiel 33:31 The Lord spoke to Ezekiel to tell the Israelite captives in Babylon: "the people sit before you as My people, and they hear the words you say, but they will not do them; for with their mouths they show much love, but their hearts go after and are set on their idolatrous greed for gain.

Fallen human nature seeks after what the world values....whether old or new testament people. The Lord calls Israel and now believers who are grafted into His family, His peculiar treasure. I love that! He owns it all and yet He calls me His treasure! (and you). Since becoming a Christian,I have always said that He is my treasure, but early on, I was like the captives in Babylon. I said the right things, but I was seeking riches to cover low self esteem..(wrong place to look!!! )It created a double mindedness. When our worldly goods were stripped from us,He set me free from that captivity and I discovered that He truly is my Treasure, the only One worth seeking. Riches come and go, but treasure stored in Heaven is eternal.

Jesus is speaking Specifically. This is an old teaching, v21, "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." What Jesus condemns here is greed and hoarding of money.

I think he was speaking figuratively because you need to store somethings up for use in your daily living and to help those who are needy. I think he meant not to store up things for a greedy purposes. This is not a new teaching as there are several places in the bible that tell the same thing.

The "heart" is the key. In our hearts we must truly believe that everything we have on Earth is God's and that he has given it to us for a purpose. That purpose may be totally and completely for our pleasure because we are his children and he loves to please us. That purpose may also be to benefit someone else. As long as we are completely willing to sacrifice what we have on the Lord's request there is nothing wrong with storing up for the future.

We get in trouble when we put the money and things in an idol place ahead of God or when we are relying on that money to protect us instead of God or when we look to our money and things to give us worth instead of resting in the knowledge that we are God's children and our worth only comes from him and not from those things we accumulate.

This is an old and consistently appearing teaching throughout the Word.

I feel Jesus is speaking in all the above ways.Where I set my heart is really the critical issue in my spiritual life. It will determine how I perceive everything. If my heart is right and my treasure is toward God, then I am going to have the right kind of spiritual perception. My treasure will be where my heart is because I have to attach myself to my investment.

In contrast to the Pharisees, the Lord is saying, "You must have a right heart." The key verse in the Sermon on the Mount is Matthew 5:20b: "...your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees...." They had an external righteousness without a right heart. Your heart and your treasure go together -- they both need to be toward heaven. Our Lord is speaking of a single-minded devotion to God and His causes that is undistracted by the world.

I feel Jesus is speaking in all the above ways.Where I set my heart is really the critical issue in my spiritual life. It will determine how I perceive everything. If my heart is right and my treasure is toward God, then I am going to have the right kind of spiritual perception. My treasure will be where my heart is because I have to attach myself to my investment.

In contrast to the Pharisees, the Lord is saying, "You must have a right heart." The key verse in the Sermon on the Mount is Matthew 5:20b: "...your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees...." They had an external righteousness without a right heart. Your heart and your treasure go together -- they both need to be toward heaven. Our Lord is speaking of a single-minded devotion to God and His causes that is undistracted by the world.

Jesus is speaking specifically about storing up for yourselves treasures on earth. For we are to serve God's will not our own will and acknowledge that He (God) provides for all our needs.

Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. This is a old teaching from way back even to the Exodus, God took care of all their needs for they put their trust in Him and not in what they along could do as a people.

Jesus was very specific about what he was teaching. We need to define what we are seeking and how and where we are going to place it. A treasure might differ but earth and heaven are understood and one's direction is targetted. Again it is a choice that we have to make.

I beleive that this is an old testament teaching and those around Jesus would comprehend totally what he was meaning.

I think Jesus here is speaking specifically.He advices not to depend on the eartly riches because it wont take us any further.He also teaches that whatever we have ,we need to share with others.because He blesses us to be a blessing.it is a new teaching.

He is very specific when He Speaks..

Not to depend wholly on what you have laid away for the future. Rely on God to provide what you will need. The love and need or desire for more often leads to greater sin.

Old teaching because we should remember that it all belongs to God anyway. He only allows us to use them to further His Word here on earth until HE returns.

WE ARE NOT TO SUPPOSE TO STORE THINGS UP FOR LATER IN LIFE ...WE ARE SUPPOSE TO KEEP OUR EYES ON THE LORD AND KEEP ONOURSELVES ON THE LORD AT ALL TIMES ..NOT GIVE INTO WORDLY THINGS .. BUT SET OUR SIGHTS ON THE HEAVENLY REWARD!!!

God has specifically stated that we are not to look to worshipping money & things--we are to worship God alone. He knows our hearts.

He has given us whatever we own--so it really belongs to God & should be used as He directs.