JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Parable of the Birds and of the Flowers

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Matthew 6:26-30) What point does Jesus make with his twin Parables of the Birds of the Air and of the Flowers of the Field? Is the point trivial or is it valid?

The Lord gives the illustration of food and fashion in His Inclusive Provision

" Behold the fowls of the air.."

I see the Lord standing on the hillside up in Galilee looking down over that beautiful north end of the sea, the breeze rippling across the water, the sun bright in the sky. The people were all gathered at His feet. As He was speaking to them, some birds might have flown accross the sky, the north part of the area of Galilee is the crossroads of bird migration. Jesus probably saw them fly by.

Every bird that lives in this world lives because God gave it life. If God gives life to a bird, He doesn't say, " I have given you life, now you figure out how to keep it." Point given is He will take care of them! Birds don't get together and say, "We have to come up with a strategy to keep ourselves alive." Birds have no self-consciousness, no cognitive process, no ability to reason. But God has planted within birds something called instinct so that they have a devine capacity to find what is necessary to live. God doesn't just create life, He also sustains life.

( Psalm 147: 9b) --"to the ( young ravens which cry out," ) He gives food. God feeds the birds through the process of their own instinct which the bible call"crying out to God." Now, if God is going to take care of irrational birds who cry out to Him through instinct, is not God going to take care of His own children? ( Job 38 : 41a )

" Consider the lilies of the field.."

What are the field lilies? They were most likely no particular flower at all. " Field-lilies" is just a general term for all of the wild flowers that graced the rolling hills of Galilee. Where I lived in the Mountains of Virginia in the Spring Time the hills were clothed with wild flowers and the scent was overpowering but beautiful. The same as the hills of Galilee. The anemones, the gladiolus, the iris, the narcissi, and the different kind of lilies. They even had what I think might be the prettist of all the scarlet- colored poppies . The hillsides of Galilee at the right time of the year would be dotted with the brightness of all these lovely flowers. ( Just close your eyes and imagine the sight of this beauty )

" They toil not, neither do they spin."

They don't make fancy thread and hang it all over them and say, " I've been scarlet for two days, I think I would like to be blue tomorrow."

Look at the litttle flowers in the field. They don't bother to spin and toil- there is a free and easy beauty about them. You can take the most glorious material or the most beautiful thing ever made for the greatest Monarch, like Solomon, put it under a microscope and it will look like sackcloth. But if you take the petal of a flower and put it under a microscope you will see the difference. I have never seen anything come close to the beauty of the petal of a flower. There is a texture and form and design and substance and color that man with all of his ingenuity cannot even touch.

" And yet I say unto you that even Solomon, in all his glory, was not arrayed like one of these."

Wherefore, If God so clothe the grass of the field ( all the flowers and the grass), which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you

Point given, God will provide for all He has created.! The point is so very valid. Amen

• 3 weeks later...

The validity of Jesus' parables are again set back in the Old Testament when God directed His people to the promised land. He would that they would soley depend upon Him to provide their needs which would not only care for them but, would have built their faith and increased their time with Him. Jesus is teaching us to put all of our cares upon Him for the same reason. It works!

Q1. (Matthew 6:26-30) What point does Jesus make with his twin Parables of the Birds of the Air and of the Flowers of the Field? Is the point trivial or is it valid?

Jesus is making a valid and key point....actually a command....DO NOt WORRY! To fret about daily needs is unbelief, weighs our hearts down and leads us away from faith and trust into fear. His promise is:

"And My God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus" Phil. 4:19

There is no shortage in God's storehouse....He demonstrated how a few fish and a couple of loaves of bread could be multiplied to feed thousands, when broken by His Hands. He owns it ALL. I have boxes of journals filled with daily miracles of His provision and generous care for us.....

He tells us in I Tim. 6:17b not to set our hopes "on uncertain riches but on God, Who richly and ceaselessly provides us with everything for our enjoyment", to put our trust in Him, not in our own ability to provide, because He never fails.

I worried endlessly for several years when we were destitute, as He was teaching me to trust Him, and I can say that there was never even one need which He failed to provide....I would love to have the time back that I spent in fear and worry...such a waste! When I longed for a respite by the ocean, but didn't ask, He heard my heart, and provided several trips with friends to stay in Carmel or on Oregon's coast.

When I needed to go to the dentist, but had no ability to pay for a visit, a Bible study leader who had no idea that I had such a need, said her son is a dentist and wants to give back to the Lord.... if there is anyone who needs to go to the dentist see me after class...I expected to wait in line, but I was the only one...He filled a tooth, and cleaned my teeth, took x=rays, free of charge. He is truly the Lord who provides!!!!

When we lost our business and home, He provided shelter in other's homes. When our car quit running, He provided a mechanic, free of charge, when we had eaten the last of our food, people would drive up with trunkloads of nutritious food, and the necessities like soap, toilet tissue, deodorant....

There is no end to His generosity! I give Him praise and glory! His is a faithful Father!!!!

God took the Jewish Nation from a position in Egypt where they were powerless against the most powerful nation on Earth at the time ...and rescued them, after showing this powerful nation who was more powerful.

No force could have rescued Israel except the Lord. Israel still struggled to trust God for their provision anyway ...just as each of us do from time to time.

His point is that we are now to worry, and I think that its valid. We are a worring people, we seem to some time dwell on our problems to long and not be willing to hand them over to God as we should. We seem to be caught up in the belief that we are more capable then God in solving our problems. We fail to seek Him first and thank Him for the blessings that He does give us we wait till it seem all hope is gone then the last thing we do is call out to God. We need to seek God first and be thankful for the blessing that God gives us daily just as He feed the birds of the air.

His point: Faggadaboudit...seriously, I believe He was making the point that God is in control of the birds of the air and the flower of the field...they don't worry, toil, or spin...He takes care of their needs. Trust and believe.

I believe the point is valid. I don't worry, and I live stress fee. I trust my God in all circumstances. I have been in want and I have been in plenty...and I have learned to be content in all things. Knowing Him will do that to a person.

What Jesus is saying and trying to get people to realize is that God has provided all we need for life. You might ask, "Well if that is true; then why are people starving and going without the necessities of life?" My answer to that is why do some pour out milk, plow up grain, withhold service in order to drive up prices?

If we all were clothed in the glory of God, (Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.) I don't think that would happen. This is what Jesus was talking about when he says that Matt.6:30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

Darrell

The point is--do we believe God is in control & He wants the best for us? Then, we need to believe it & not worry! Oh ye of little faith!

It is a valid point. In our everyday life, there are so many things that come up/little problems that we make larger by worrying about them instead of trusting in and relying on God.

I think His point is that God is sovereign and in total control. We are His children and He will take care of us and we should trust Him.

The point that Jesus is making with the twin Parables are that we too need not worry about the things we need, God takes care of His creations. So we need to put our trust in Him. Jesus is making a valid point that God supplies every need to all His creatures and one must believe and trust in Him for their care.

THE POINT JESUS IS MAKING WITH THESE TWIN PARABLES IS THAT GOD IS IN CONTROL OF EVERYTHING AND HE WILL TAKE CARE OF OUR NEEDS. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT WE DO NOT USE OUR TALENTS WISELY BUT RATHER THAT WE LIVE ACCORDING TO HIS WORD AND THEN PUT OUR TRUST IN HIM TO PROVIDE OUR NEEDS (NOT NECESSARILY OUR WANTS BUT OUR NEEDS). THIS IS THE ONLY WAY WE WILL HAVE TRUE PEACE AND COMFORT IN THIS WORLD.

The point that Jesus make with his twin Parables of the Birds and of the Flowers of the Field, is they do not worry about where to sow, reap or store away food for tomorrow because they know that God will feed them daily. Because they trust in Him. We the people need to really put our trust in Jehovah Jireh because "The Lord Will Provide." This is a valid point.

I think He want us to seek Him.He will take care of us,because He knows the best.He knows what we need,what is good for us,and He promises to take care of us.

Jesus is making an important point with these two parables. He is saying that God will provide our needs ~ He loves us and watches us. We shouldn't focus ourselves on money (lack or **** of it). This isn't to say we shouldn't work or try to improve ourselves. We need to keep focus on what's important - God - and money should not take our focus from Him. We should spend our time focusing on Him and the rest will follow - as long as we listen to His prompting!

The point is that Jesus will take care of all the needs of His own, no matter how trivial. He makes sure the birds have seeds and berries , so He will provide what we need. He decorates the landscape with flowers that produce seeds, that feed the birds and the seeds reproduce again & again. It sure is a valid point. Just a little faith makes things right.

Q1. (Matthew 6:26-30) What point does Jesus make with his twin Parables of the Birds of the Air and of the Flowers of the Field?

There is far more to our life than the food we put in our stomach, more to our outer appearance than the clothes we fashion on your body. More to our inner person than just a bunch of blood and fibers, running here and there. We are fearfully and wonderfully made and God will take care of His creation if we submit ourselves to Him. He will take us to the finest places where we can sup with Him. He is the best designer in the land and He knows the best way to make a fashion statement than any earthly designer. Just look at the flowers in all shapes and colors, not a problem for our creator.

Is the point trivial or is it valid? Well I am sure it is a trivial matter to Him but we humans have had these things here in America, as a matter of fact a dime a dozen. But when He begins to unleash His judgment, upon the land, we will find out if we run and hide like a goat or stand in a green pasture and not fret like a lamb.

It is valid. The point being, if our Master is Father God, then our being should not be full of anxiety. To come to this state, we must understand, God has everything in His control, and that is where He wants us to be, under His wing.

Therefore, we don't have to be anxious, overly concerned about tomorrow, but what we do have to do is, live a life that would glorify God. Be thankful for what God has given to us, not just when things are going our way, the test is in those times when things are not going our way. This is what we call "faith." Faith like Job, "Even if He slay me, yet will I trust Him." :huh:

The valid point that Jesus is making in these parables is that no matter how inconsequential something may be here on earth it is important to him. He cares and is watching over everything. We need to be faithful and keep our eyes on him.

Q1. (Matthew 6:26-30) What point does Jesus make with his twin Parables of the Birds of the Air and of the Flowers of the Field? Is the point trivial or is it valid

WE ARE TO KEEP OUR EYES ON THE LORD ... AND TO KNOW HE WILL TAKE CARE OF OUR EVERY NEED

..JUST LIKE THE BIRDS AND FLOWERS ..BUT MORE SO !!!!

Birds and Flowers , the least imporatant are so much in Gods sight - How much more we , who are purchased with his blood - are more valuable in Gods sight !!!