JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Your Father Knows You Need Material Things

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making? How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage? What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

• 2 months later...
Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making? How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage? What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

"( verse 31- 32a ) " Therefore, be not anxious saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink?or, With what shall we be clothed? For after all these things do the Gentiles seek."

The word "Gentile" can also be translated "Pagan" or "Heathen", and means "people without God and Christ." These people worry about this world. That is all they have going for them. They live to grasp and possess because they don't have God to supply for them, to promise them anything-- they don't have any divine resource to come to their aid They have to do it all on their own. They are ignorant of God's supply, so they anxiously and worringly set their minds on all the necessities. But for Christians, this is senseless and without excuse. It is a serious sin.

Jesus is saying that it is uncharacteristic of our faith to act like ungodly people. For us, worry is needless because of God's bounty, senseless because of God's promise, useless because of our impotence to do anything, and faithless because we put ourselves in the same category as an unbeliever.

"A Christian should differ in seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness" means to turn to God first for help, to fill your thoughts with His desires, to take His character for your pattern, and to serve and obey Him in everything . The Christian faith says that God will supply all my needs... and God can be trusted. To worry about my food or my physical welfare or my clothing is to have a worldly mind.

( Philippians 4:6 ) " Be anxious for nothing, but in everything, by prayer and supplications with thanksgiving, let your requests be known unto God."

But our God knows. If I believe that my God loves and cares, now I see that He knows, If God knows my life and need, then all I need to know is that He cares. If He knows and cares, then I am home free. My Heavenly Father knows that I have a need. He not only has the knowledge, but He has the resources and the love to provide. So, what Should I worry about? Nothing! Worry is unnecessary because of my Father, uncharacteristic because of my FAITH.

( Heb. 13:8) " Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, and today, and forever means He will be doing the same thing tomorrow that He was doing yesterday. If I have any question about the future I look at the past. Did He sustain me then? He will sustain me in the future. There is no past, present or future with Him . Worry is forbidden.

In other words, get your thoughts on the devine level and God will take care of the physical. God doesn't want us involved in the physical, He wants us to be free from that.

• 3 weeks later...

Nonbelievers are pagans and Gentiles so there is no faith with them other than what they put into their possessions. This is our society, based upon capitalism which puts greed and gain first. Christians ought to be living in bible-ism, always using the will of God to order our lives.

From the day I turned my life over to the Lord I have a growing love which He feeds every minute of every day by His tender care of me.

God mentions the pagan or gentiles to show us that if He is taking care of them who have not accepted Him or denied Him or hate Him, how much more will He take care of those who love Him.

Our Father takes care of all our needs, we can take them to Him totally. A loving father would not deny His children food & clothing. (In most cases.)

The Isrealites of that day though that they were the only one that were blessed by God or knew and worshiped the true God. Jesus was pointing out that God takes care of everyone so why would He not take care of them. A Christian should be willing to trust in God for their need where the Gentile was out for themselves and only looking to take care of their on need and not those of their fellow man as Jesus was teaching.

The effect is that to know what you need God has to care about you enough to look into you life and see what is going on and love you enough to want to do something about it.

He was talking to His children, who can trust Him to provide. The pagans are not His children and He has no obligation to provide for children of the world. Before I ever ask for something He knows I need it, but He wants me to ask - to have communication with Him. Also, if I am in the Word and praying, I will be asking "according to His will". We will be in agreement.

The word pagan means country dweller. This would indicate that the society of the pagan was small if any at all. A pagan would be akin to the mountaineer, seeking solitude, of the early 1800's here. The word Gentile simply referees to any tribe, group, or citizenship except Jew.

I would say that Jesus used the term pagan in reference to anybody that does not belong to a society of people, a person who is out there for themselves. Oddly enough even the pagan who, more than likely had not heard of God, knew that there must be a god or gods and this strong belief in a god led to many religious beliefs.

Gentile on the other hand is kind of like being either American, Canadian, German, etc... This is not a bad thing, but a good thing because Christ came first for the Jew and then for the Gentile. He came "living" for the Jew and in resurrection for the Gentile. Romans 9:25 As he says in Hosea: "I will call them 'my people' who are not my people; and I will call her 'my loved one' who is not my loved one," 26 and, "It will happen that in the very place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,' they will be called 'sons of the living God.'"Darrell

1)I think Jesus was saying that daily needs are universal, inescapable, issues for all mankind, and that pagans or unbelievers strive and stress over providing for themselves, because they don't know the SOURCE of all provision. They live in a "parallel universe", cut off from knowledge of Him, the Burden Bearer, so they worry, believing the burden lies entirely upon them.

2)Believers KNOW the Creator, Jehovah-Jireh, (The Lord Will Provide), so He's telling us that our lives should be different from unbelievers; lived in the heritage He's promised us....Righteousness, peace and joy. He's calling us to live our days in trust, free from the angst over where those things will come from. Yes, we work and plan, but then cast our cares upon Him, as He's told us to do, since He knows that we need them. (He's not forgetful and absent minded like we are.) He reminds us elsewhere, He's Jehova-raah : The Lord my Shepherd, and Jehovah-shalom : The Lord is Peace.

3)It sets me free! I can spend my day seeking His face, NOT HIS HAND. I knew my parents role was to provide for me, so I spent my days playing and being a child, always confident that there would be food for my next meal, and something in my closet to wear. He tells me that since He knows I need these things, and He's my loving Father, I can count on Him to supply them, while pursuing the things which are important to Him. My emotions can be at rest.

Jesus mention this because the Pagans worry about everything, food clothes, shelter, money,etc. The point Jesus is making is God is Omnipresent, all powerful; having unlimited power. He will supply all of our needs. As a Christian we are believers in God and what He will do for His children, as a Gentile they are non-believers, they do not believe until they see it right away. This has a positive effect in my life knowing that "my heavenly Father knows what I need" in my life to give Him the glory.

He mentions them to differentiate between the believer and the unbeliever. The point He is making is that as a believer we do not have to succumb to the "cares of this world." A Christian has the understanding that God is their provider. Our problems are God's problems and He has the answers...we do not have to bow down to worry about how our needs will be met. The emotional and faith effect that the phrase "your heavenly Father knows that you need them" has the "peace effect"...I am at peace about the things that many people in the world fret about. I have perfect peace knowing that God is sovereign and He is in control of my life. Everything that happens to me is filtered through His hands...and my times are in His hands...according to His word.

Oh the Word...the everlasting enduring Word...on which I stand.

Jesus mentions the pagans to show how unbelievers act. He is trying to make the point that we should not act like unbelievers but should act differently. Unbelievers chase after the material things of this world because they put their faith only in themselves and their ability to provide. A believer chases after the kingdom of God, knowing the supreme value there instead of the temporal world. Knowing that Father God understands our physical needs provides the freedom to seek His kingdom first.

God gives good things to all his children. When we believe in Christ it alters how we see things. Their is a bigger picture when you look at the dynamics of everlasting life through Christ and also knowing God. Trust and Faith need to prevail against the fear of want. Fear turns into worry and Jesus advised us not to worry and to live each day in God.

All needs, circumstances, events, and trials create an expression of our precious gift of free will. We choose to know who is the giver, and what the situation can produce.

In my life positive viewing of trials alters my perception. I need to go to God to see what it is really about.

Pagans do not acknowledge the true source, live in fear and are totally insattiable.

Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32?

Because they 'run after' the worldly things - self-fullfilment and bettering themselves. They put worldly things and the worry of them ahead of God.

What point is he making?

Believers should be different to the 'pagans'

How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage?

We shouldn't be like the Gentiles were - we should have one true focus - that is God! We should be different! We shouldn't be worrying about what we can't change - instead we should be handing it over to God in prayer.

What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

I know that my Lord and King will supply all my needs. Thankfully I am not a real worrier - I do think about things but most of the time I can take it to the Lord and leave it at His feet! He has never let me down! If I am willing to accept His direction and correction then He will help me in all my needs!

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making?

The Gentile or pagans are those who do not worship Christ. They follow their own traditions and worship their possessions. They are considered to be idol worshippers and heathens.

How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage?Christians are followers of Christ and they should not follow the ways of the Gentile who are earthy creatures who worship no one except their earthiness.

What emotional and faith effect does the phrase, "your heavenly Father knows that you need them," have in your life?

The phrase "your heavenly Father knows that you need them" plays a very important role in my everyday life, especially now with this economy as it is, I know that he takes care of my every need, even before I go to him with it, he knows that I need it.

Unbelievers do not have a Father as we Christians have. That means they are fatherless (orphans). If we take a small orphan boy and another boy who has parents, then there is a huge difference between these two boys. The orphan boy has to worry and fret about every physical and material need. Whereas the other boy will have an anxious-free mind knowing that he has a loving father & mother who put his needs above their needs and provide without failing. Therefore we Christians who have a loving heavenly Father should have a completely different outlook towards our life. We are the citizens of a heavenly calling (Kingdom of God). But the unbelievers are only the citizens of the kingdom of earth. They belonged to this world and hence there primary concern and worry is related to the earthly things. On the other hand we have peace and joy that is beyond description. Jesus is making that point very clearly here.

There is scarcely any sin against which our Lord Jesus more warns his disciples, than disquieting, distracting, distrustful cares about the things of this life. This often insnares the poor as much as the love of wealth does the rich. But there is a carefulness about temporal things which is a duty, though we must not carry these lawful cares too far. Take no thought for your life. Not about the length of it; but refer it to God to lengthen or shorten it as he pleases; our times are in his hand, and they are in a good hand. Not about the comforts of this life; but leave it to God to make it bitter or sweet as he pleases. Food and raiment God has promised, therefore we may expect them. Take no thought for the morrow, for the time to come. Be not anxious for the future, how you shall live next year, or when you are old, or what you shall leave behind you. As we must not boast of tomorrow, so we must not care for to-morrow, or the events of it. God has given us life, and has given us the body. And what can he not do for us, who did that? If we take care about our souls and for eternity, which are more than the body and its life, we may leave it to God to provide for us food and raiment, which are less. Improve this as an encouragement to trust in God. We must reconcile ourselves to our worldly estate, as we do to our stature. We cannot alter the disposals of Providence, therefore we must submit and resign ourselves to them. Thoughtfulness for our souls is the best cure of thoughtfulness for the world. Seek first the kingdom of God, and make religion your business: say not that this is the way to starve; no, it is the way to be well provided for, even in this world. The conclusion of the whole matter is, that it is the will and command of the Lord Jesus, that by daily prayers we may get strength to bear us up under our daily troubles, and to arm us against the temptations that attend them, and then let none of these things move us. Happy are those who take the Lord for their God, and make full proof of it by trusting themselves wholly to his wise disposal. Let thy Spirit convince us of sin in the want of this disposition, and take away the worldliness of our hearts.

The pagans( unbelievers) were fretting as to where their next of everything was going to come from. They need not worry, but turn to Jesus as their source to supply what they need. The Christian is to put their faith in Jesus and not worry about those things. Our Father knows exactly what we need and when and will provide a way for us to have what we need---not what we want.

For me , I know that all my needs will be met somehow, someway by my Heavenly Father. I have no need to worry or fret as all my needs will be met. I just have to keep the Faith and SEEK God first.

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32? What point is he making? He doesn

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32?

A Gentile is a heathen, a non Jewish person, one who does not believe in the one and only God, the God of Abraham. They are a person lost, without hope, their hope is found in the gods of this world.

What point is he making?

The Gentiles are seeking, an intense craving for the things of this world,

How should a Christian differ from a Gentile, according to Jesus' teaching in this passage?

A Christian is that Gentile person who was lost, without hope, but because of Jesus, the Son of God, the Gentile has been grafted the into the true Olive Tree, God's covenant with Israel.

The true God is now the Christians God, His name is Yaweh, our heavenly Father. We now have hope in tomorrow, we now have peace that replaces the anxiety that once filled our lives, why? because our trust is in Him, Father God. Our hope is in Him, not in self.

Father God has shown me how much He cares about my every need. He sent His Son, so I could be reconciled to Him. It is because of my faith in Father God, and His love for me, that my being is full of emotion and love for Him, for Jesus, for the Holy Spirit. :rolleyes:

Jesus mentions the pagans as a comparison to those who God had revealed himself. These pagans had only this life to consider where as we have a future life to look forward to. I know God has a plan for my life, I can never thank him enough for what he has done for me. If I have my mind on God, worry can't over take me. The two on the Emmaus Road had lost their faith and hope, they had turned their backs on Jesus, I use that as a reminder to myself.

THE PAGANS DID NOT BELIEVE IN HIM..BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT THE LORD KNOWS ALL AND READS YOUR HEART AND WILL SUPPLY ALL YOUR NEEDS ...JUST ASK HIM INTO YOUR LIFE AND HEART!!!!

Q3. (Matthew 6:31-32) Why does Jesus mention the "pagans" or "Gentiles" in verse 32?

Because they worry about those things instead of trusting God to supply their needs.

What point is he making?

We should trust Him for our needs

Instead of worrying about things, we should go to God and put our trust in Him.

I know that He will supply all of my needs if I will only trust Him and believe. :rolleyes:

Jesus mentioned pagans because they dont know Him.They are busy seeking things that wont take them to heaven.

He wants us to look upon Him.When we do that He will automatically provide.

A christian does not have stress,because all is well with His soul.Gentile is always stressfull because he is after earthly desires.

I rest in Him because it is well with my soul

Why do so many saints persist in "feeding on the husks," the worthless shell of a fruit or seed, that the depraved world about us has to offer, the same husks we fed upon before salvation? Why do God