JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Let Tomorrow Worry for Itself

• 2 months later...
Q5. (Matthew 6:34) Is there humor intended in verse 34? What is the point of Jesus' joke here? What is the command in this verse?

i am not sure there is humor in this verse. I believe the Lord is saying, " Don't worry about the future. The future is going to have it's own trouble. Just wait till you get to it." Don't worry about tomorrow. Now, providing for tomorrow is good, but worrying about tomorrow is sin because God is God of tomorrow just like He is the God of Today. ( Lamentations 3:23a ) says that His mercies "are new every morning..." He feeds you like He fed the children of Isreal--- just enough manna for the day.

God only gives strength for one day at a time. He doesn't give me the grace for tomorrow until tomorrow. Many people worry about dying. But when somebody in their family dies, God gives a wonderful grace and peace sustaining. They can't understand it! I have had people say to me, " You know it's so wonderful how God has sustained me and supported me I have a normal sorrow but I feel strength and confidence and a gladness in my heart that this one I love is with the Lord." And that is right, because God gives us grace for the hour that we need that grace But if you want to worry about the future now, You are going to double your pain without any grace to deal with it. I have learned to take a day at a time. I don't know the reality of what life will bring. I pray and just roll what I can on God. As I feel God lift the burden and carry it away I can enjoy today and let tomorrow bring what it may. So I try not to worry about the future that I cannot live in till it comes.

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose one could see the humor in letting tomorrow worry about itself as a day will do what a day does and is controlled by God. We too should let what may come if we are the Lord's. We have placed our lives in His wonderful love and worry and trust are contrary.

No, I'm sorry, I don't see humor here. I see that God knows us very well, and when we are dreading something coming up in the near future we begin worrying about it today! The point is, we are not promised a tomorrow, so why invest worry in it? Each day has enough possibilities for worry in it--take it one day at a time. We are responsible for today's actions & reactions. The command is to not worry about tomorrow. When tomorrow becomes today, pray!! xo

Yes, humor is intended. The point is that we have enough to deal with each day and often the "troubles" of tomorrow never materialize. God wants us to relax and trust Him.

Q5. (Matthew 6:34) Is there humor intended in verse 34? What is the point of Jesus' joke here? What is the command in this verse?

yes, that's why He said it this way to them. "do not worry". God is in control. God is Omniscient , having infinte knowledeg; knowing all things (Hebrews 4:13).

I am not sure about the humor part pastor, I see Jesue as being thoughtful this just adds to His statement that we can not add an inch to our stature or make one hair dark or gray so why worry about tomorrow when with out God's help we could not even get through this day.

I believe the command is like before put God first seek His righteousness and He will provide as we need. We can't change anything about today so why waste time worrying about tomorrow.

Is there humor intended in verse 34?

Yes - if you think like that - personally I don't see it as humourous - rather God commanding us to not worry about the future.

What is the point of Jesus' joke here?

Having the silliness of the day worrying all by itself! ~ without us worrying

What is the command in this verse?

Not to worry about tomorrow but to live each day as it comes!

1) Yes, I think there is...I'm certain Jesus laughed and smiled and has a great sense of humor....because I see it in His creation...I'm created in His image and He's given me a sense of humor...I look at some of the animals He made and laugh thinking of the fun He had when He made them....and me, with my quirks.

One day as a too serious new believer, I'd been wondering if God ever laughs. I'd grown weary of being the only Christian in our neighborhood and I asked Him to send Christians to live in the house for sale across the street. A dear young couple moved in, and pie in hand I went to introduce myself and welcome them to the neighborhood. She said Hi! I'm Lani Christian! Her next few sentences let me know she wasn't who I'd prayed for.....When I went home I said "Lord, that isn't funny", and I swear I heard Him chuckle! But later I had the privilege of leading both of them to the Lord...then I saw the humor in His answer and I laughed out loud! ( changed her first name)

2) The joke seems to be in the image of the day "worrying"....Kind of like a plaque I used to see in the bathroom at a friend's....."Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday and all is well"...as I child I couldn't get my brain around that light hearted "phrasing" of what Jesus was saying in this verse, because I had no concept of time....I lived in the moment. Then I grew up and tried to live in the past and the future!

3)The command is: Do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow... He's saying that the only time I can really live is today...this moment. Even God can't change yesterday, so It's silly for me to try to live there. (other than to make amends to others if I've wronged them, and to ask forgiveness from the Lord or others, and to learn from my mistakes.) And since I'm not promised tomorrow, it's a waste of time to fret about what I may not be here to enjoy. In 12- step I've learned to work toward "living one day at a time, one moment at a time", since that's what I'm given.

Whether Jesus intended the verse to be humorous or not, I believe it was a gentle admonition to "stay present." Too often people are lamenting the past (which is dead and buried)...or they're fretting about the future...and totally "out of touch" with the present. Almost like a seesaw...past, future...up, down...where's the balance? Balance on today, while it is called today.

As He is the Alpha and the Omega...He was essentially getting people in touch with 'THE ETERNAL NOW'...What will be will be...

Basically, I believe the command in the verse is two words: TRUST ME.

Truly, it is quite humorous to think tomorrow setting around worrying. Why would tomorrow be worrying? It doesn't even know what will happen! The point we must remember is that the only time that is real is right now and we need to live it with enthusiasm because we know God is with us. Irregardless of what happens, God will give us the strength to endure if we only trust in Him. Knowing this is true, we can have complete peace. The command is to live each day trusting in God to be with us in all circumstances. What a blessing to know beyond a doubt that this is true. :rolleyes:

Live each day with joy knowing God is with us every minute and in every circumstance.

Truly, it is quite humorous to think tomorrow setting around worrying. Why would tomorrow be worrying? It doesn't even know what will happen! The point we must remember is that the only time that is real is right now and we need to live it with enthusiasm because we know God is with us. Irregardless of what happens, God will give us the strength to endure if we only trust in Him. Knowing this is true, we can have complete peace. The command is to live each day trusting in God to be with us in all circumstances. What a blessing to know beyond a doubt that this is true. :rolleyes:

Live each day with joy knowing God is with us every minute and in every circumstance.

Tomorrow never comes. Notice that. Why dwell outside the timeline that God has defined for us. Living in the moment guided by the Holy Spirit is ideal. Jesus knows we are human and his projection shows this. Worry is not anything of God and reflects the lack of faith we feel at the moment. Worry is the invitation to lay it on the altar. :rolleyes:

The command here is to not worry. Do not borrow trouble from another time. Each day will have enough for us to conquer " in Jesus Name" that we don't need to even think on tomorrow and what it will bring.

The song " One day at a time, Sweet Jesus, comes to mind for this verse.

Q5. (Matthew 6:34) Is there humor intended in verse 34? I believe that he smiled a lot. He knows the outcome of our world because He conquered it, why wouldn't He smile at our lack of faith that we can over come it just like He did..

Mt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

If we let the morrow fear us today, we affect our relationship with God today and tomorrow. Everyday is evil in itself, because each day is bound for destruction. But living every day as if it is the eternity that we are walking by faith in now, well everyday is then well spent and nothing is waited on something that we have no control over. In the span of things, we do have control over our destiny and that is what He wants us to walk in. F A I T H

When I read this passage, I hear Jesus speaking with such encouragement as He trains

my mind to think his way about God's provision;

my eyes for "present" focus;

and my soul to rest in the peace of trusting God.

I can hear the play on words in verse 34 and the see the lift of his brow, the sparkle in his eyes and tilt of his head as he surveys the gathering seeking those who were amused, puzzled or concentrating so hard that his/her eyesight became blurry.

at 6:34 -

I guess I don't see humor in verse 34. The point Jesus is making is, it is important we commit our way unto God, because We will find many of our days to be full of anxiety, and evil, so don't take thought about what might come.

Take thought on who holds tomorrow, who holds each day we live. As those trials of the days come, and they will, we will have confidence in God, why? because we have put our trust in Him, not giving thought, becoming anxious about tomorrow, before tomorrow even comes.

It is good to wake up each day in praise and worship to God, trusting Him that whatever comes our way, we are ready, because we know God is on our side, and we are on His. ;)

PS: I found humor in what Eudora said, "be happy, don't worry" That is what Jesus is telling us, and in that I see humor.

GO AHEAD WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW IT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD ...IT IS NOT HERE YET ,THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT ...I AM ALREADY THERE SAYS THE LORD!!! CAST ALL YOUR CARES ON THE LORD AND HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR EVERY NEED!!!

GO AHEAD WORRY ABOUT TOMORROW IT WILL DO YOU NO GOOD ...IT IS NOT HERE YET ,THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT ...I AM ALREADY THERE SAYS THE LORD!!! CAST ALL YOUR CARES ON THE LORD AND HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR EVERY NEED!!!

Q5. (Matthew 6:34) Is there humor intended in verse 34?

Yes, it seems like Jesus was being a little humorous.

There is enough happening today, without worrying about what will happen tomorrow.

The command in this verse is,

We all plan for our future in this live. It is bad thing to plan for our future. Planning for tomorrow is time well spent, worrying about tomorrow is time wasted.

What Jesus is meaning here is that we should not let worries about tomorrow affect our relationship with God.

I think the point Jesus is trying to make is that each day has troubles of its own. We don't need to go borrowing trouble from tomorrow, we have enough to contend with today.

The command of this verse is we should take each day on its own.