JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Narrow Gate and Universalism

• 3 months later...
Q1. (Matthew 7:13-14) If Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed, what change would this make in how you conduct your life? What difference would it make to how you witness to your neighbors? How might it affect your acceptance of Universalism?

The wide gate in this passage is the default gate that every one finds himself on unless he makes a decision to find the narrow gate and go through it instead. As Christians, it is easy for us to make the numbers of this passage our focal point. We say to ourselves, "yes, most people are going on the wide easy path, and only a few of us are going the right way." We warn those on the wrong path to come join us on the right path. That's all fine, But sometimes I think we are to quick to find ourselves on the "right path". The word translated narrow in verse 14 is the Greek word thilbo, meaning "suffering or afflication." When Jesus says that the way that leads to life is narrow, He is saying that the path to life rather than destruction is paved with suffering and afflication along the way. We as Christians might do well to ask ourselves as we read this question, "How am I suffering for Christ?" If we are not, then we might question whether we are on the right road after all.

Suffering for Christ means we sacrifice wealth,friends, family, reputation, power, privilage, and even health and life to obey the teachings Jesus has given in the Sermon on the Mount. If we are turning the other check, going the extra mile, praying for our enemies, then we will at times suffer at the hands of the world.

I've met people who either say or believe, " well I just pick and choose bits and pieces from different religions, there's a lot of good in every religion."

Your spiritual beliefs are not some smorgasbord experience where you say, I'll take some of this, and a little of that, but none from there, or from that. And please don't miss this, Here is the reason Christianity is being attacked and will continue to be maligned. It's not that we claim that Jesus is a way to Heaven... It's that we believe Jesus is THE WAY TO HEAVEN. The exclusivity of the gospel is what infuriates a pluralistic, "tolerant" society which has been so steeped in moral relativism that there is a huge sliding scale between right and wrong. This scale is so wide, it looks an awful lot like a broad road to destruction.

Test everything Hold on to the good , Avoid every kind of evil ( 1 Thess. 5:21-22 )

The Wise Person says, " There a difference between truth and falsehood."

I do not accept Universalism no way shape or form is what i am saying!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

As a full time servant of the Lord (that is I am in a ministry that is available to the destitute, poor and needy 24 hours per day, seven days a week and live amongst them as did Jesus) I am continually examining my walk. It is why I take bible studies, so that I can add depth to my understanding and become fully mature in seeing God's will for me. This is the type of commitment required to keep me on the straight and narrow. I don't trust myself to live any other way.

This ministry is located in the inner city, in a residential neighborhood. We work to be a light that shines to everyone; homeless, addicts, prostitutes, thieves, and more. We have fought with the neighbors who would see us shut down and have won a tremendous victory by our witness, gaining acceptance by the grace of God.

Oprah Winfrey is called the "Queen of the New Age Movement." She has become amongst the wealthyest women in the world. I have never watched her but have seen advertisements for her show. By those ads, I can only condemn what she and the New Age represent as blasphemous. The Lord has taught us that He alone is the way, the truth and the life. No one will see the Father unless it is through Him (John 14:8). All other teaching is paganism.

Q1. (Matthew 7:13-14) If Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed, what change would this make in how you conduct your life? What difference would it make to how you witness to your neighbors? How might it affect your acceptance of Universalism?

Knowing that Jesus is the only Narrow gate and narrow road to lead me to eternal life, I should believe in Him, because He is the only one who died for me and made me right before God. Living His way may not be popular, but, it is true and right.

We should thank God there is one way.

We are to encourage our neighbors not to look behind, not matter what may come on their way to heaven. When we think of what Jesus did on the cross, should encourage us even more and more to witness for Him.

I have found over time that the enemies tactics are to make the gate wider than it is. Acceptance, love, and fairness, are used in a perverse way to promote self and the rights of the individual. Jesus, The Father, The Spirit, their way is narrow. They are the only true God. God has been consistant throughout time in all His dealings with us. Satan's goal is to present a path of doubt, grayness, many ways, because of course we deserve whatever our desires are.

God's ways are for our greatest fulfillment in life and in the next phase with Himself. Satan wishes to destroy and devour. When the cloud is cleared away and reality is visualized, there are no wise choices other than God. Satan is a liar.

I should remind myself daily that If I am to live for Christ that I need now live like the world but as a God fearing person looking to do the will of the Father as Christ. I need to show the love of Christ to everyone I meet seeking to make them aware of the love of God and the plan He has for each one of us. I in no way accept universalism, Jesus said I am the way no one comes to the Father except by me. This iswhat I believe and will witness to and have no dealings with anyone who professes otherwise.

[/quote

1) I do believe this, and It causes me to want to consistently seek the narrow path which leads to life and fruitfulness and truth every day. My hearts desire has been to live this way, to please Jesus, steering away from the false, the destructive, the thorns. In my early walk, I veered off the narrow path at times, and hated the consequences, but thanks be to God's grace, I've worn a rut in the narrow path for years.

2) One of my gifts is evangelism, so I'm naturally inclined to share my faith where ever I go, as the Holy Spirit leads, because I'm very clear on Jesus being the ONLY way to the Father for Salvation.

3) I totally reject Universalism...and thank God for providing sound Biblical teaching in my life, but am seeing a huge new interest in this around me and in the media.

(I'm horrified and surprised that Oprah Winfrey, who claimed to be a Christian, has denounced Jesus on T.V., and is following a WIDE new religion of Universalism, involving the new age cult called "A course in Miracles", which she is encouraging her viewers to study with her on her daily radio program, as well as some new book she's embracing by Tolle, called The New Earth, I believe. I haven't watched her program for years, but was sent You Tube clips of these things from her program, where she argues with Christian women for being NARROW, and says Jesus is just another word for CONSCIOUSNESS. A recent poll showed that 60% of her female viewers under age 40 view Oprah as their "spiritual guru". Let's all PRAY and intercede for her and for her viewers to come to the truth of Salvation in JESUS...and to reject the wide destructive path.

I will be serious on doing God's will.keepin on,on trusting God that He will lead me to the narrow gate.

the difference will be the action that saying it.

No compromise

I would more readily ask for repentance each day and thank God for keeping me in the belief that Jesus Christ is the only way, that He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification. There is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. I would ask that He keep me in the way of the Spirit instead of the way of the sinful nature.

This passage helps me in my witness so that I witness only with the Gospel.

This passage absolutely denies Universalism.

JESUS IS THE TRUTH WAY AND THE LIFE ...WE HAVE TO LIVE AND I WANT TO LIVE BY WHAT JESUS SAYS ..HE IS THE ONLY WAY....TO TEACH FAMILY AND FRIENDS ..THAT JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY ...

JESUS IS THE TRUTH WAY AND THE LIFE ...WE HAVE TO LIVE AND I WANT TO LIVE BY WHAT JESUS SAYS ..HE IS THE ONLY WAY....TO TEACH FAMILY AND FRIENDS ..THAT JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY ...

We should seek to live the way Jesus taught us & how it is written in His Word, continually seeking Him.

The urgency in our evangelism would be heightened, knowing that hell was awaiting every who does not believe.

There is no way Universalism can exist with this teaching.

I have no doubt that Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed. My attitude is 24/7 Lord...24/7 have Your way...the only Way...His Way.

I witness everywhere I go...every time the Holy Spirit opens the door...I "go in."

I reject Universalism in its entirety. Jesus said: I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life...No man comes to the Father but by Me. He said it. He meant it. I'm here to represent it.

Got Jesus? Got Life!

Q1. (Matthew 7:13-14)

If Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed, what change would this make in how you conduct your life?

Anyone who believes this message will live a life that glorifies and serve the Lord.

What difference would it make to how you witness to your neighbors?

Anyone who believes this message will strive to reach friends, neighbors, family , etc. if they do not know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

How might it affect your acceptance of Universalism?

This passage does not accept Universalism. There is only one way to salvation and that is through accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior.

The narrow gate and narrow road to life has been demonstrated in my search of Christ. I know how lonely this journey can be. I try to live a Christ-like life and be an example to my neighbors and family not all are accepting but I persevere to teach the good news. I do not accept this universalism for this is the path that leads to destruction. It has no place, for Christ is the way, the only way, the path that leads to life. I have to say I was stunned reading some of the other responses that spoke of the way Oprah Winfrey has decided to lead others, does she not know that she is only opening the door for satan? I don't watch her programs nor do I keep up with her latest trends but it was surprising to hear the direction she has choosen to lead others. One should be careful especially when you are responsible for many.

There would only be one path to follow and we could not deviate from. Not just a slap on the wrist for doing wrong. You must do it God's way --- the only right way. Everyone needs an introduction to Jesus-- whether they accept Him as their Savior is their choice. They need to know the truth and just maybe they will become a believer and go spread The Word also.

Universalism is not searching daily for Christ's way and hanging on in all circumstances and having faith that God is in control. It is doing your own thing and at the end finally giving in to Jesus. We need a daily communion with Our Lord and accept His way of life daily.

Jesus is the only way, the truth and the Life...

Q1. (Matthew 7:13-14) Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

If Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed, what change would this make in how you conduct your life?

A big change has come! As I made the decision to enter through the narrow gate, I knew it would bring changes in I my life. (changes much needed, that I could not do)

I entered in because the admission had already been paid, and because it promised the road would be by rivers of water, It would bring fruit in its season, so I would not wither, and whatsoever I do, I will prosper, have life. The road I am traveling on is named, "Road of Righteousness."

God has given to me a good map to follow, His directions found in His law, the law He wrote with His finger. Jesus paid the price of admission, so I may receive life; and I can see more clearly what the goal to life is, it is "love," love for God and for my neighbors; The Holy Spirit is my guide along the way, helping me to make it through the pot holes in the road, and the many detours; the Holy Spirit, my guide is there to help me stay on the strait way, which leadeth unto life.

My witness would be best seen in how I live my life, not just in what I say.

Universalism, a general or widely held principle held by the worlds view point, broad in subject matter is the broad way.

The worlds ways are not God's ways. The broad gate is the worlds way with all its distractions that lead away from the road that brings life, the narrow gate God has for us. The choice is up to us, do we want life, or distruction? :unsure:

It is hard for me to understand, why so many choose distruction? :(

• 2 weeks later...

If Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed, the change that it would makes in how I conduct my life is that I recomitted to follow him, to follow wherever he leads me, and to keep following him though I am scorned, alone, solotary.

The difference that it would makes is that it motivates me to witness to my neighbors more than before.

I refuse Universalism, because not all people will be saved, only those who enter the narrow gate, that is, those who follow Jesus.

Q1. (Matthew 7:13-14) If Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed, what change would this make in how you conduct your life?

Believing this, with all my heart, makes me live my life in a way that is pleasing to my Lord

To enter into the narrow gate I need to search myself daily for sin in my life, ask God to forgive me of it and not repeat it. We have to be careful to live our lives in a way that's pleasing to God and an example to others. There is no Universalism, there's only the blood of Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Matthew 7:13-14) If Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed, what change would this make in how you conduct your life?

Jesus' teaching about the narrow gate and the narrow road to life is to be believed. His teaching tells us that the path to life is the path with the fewest travellers. It is not the path that the masses are clamoring to travel, this tells us, that our path to eternal life is not a popular one.

In witnessing to our neighbours, they must be told that being a Christian will not be popular. They will find themselves in situations where they will feel ostracized, even by family, but, the rewards for travelling the other path is destruction.

Universalism teaches that many paths lead to Christ. This teaching clearly teaches against that myth. There is only one way to eternal life, and that way is the narrow way - Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

When I witness to people, The response I hear the most is that all roads lead to Jesus. The general consensus is that we can worship any way we want, because God doesn't care how you worship-just as long as you worship. I believed this myself for a time. But when I started studying The Word myself-there is the key-I found that God has a different view. We make a grave mistake when we don't study for ourselves and, instead, take another's word for what The Bible says. It is very important to know what The bible says for yourself, so then when you speak to other people you can know what you're talking about. It has changed me just doing this study in so many ways. I wnat the truth, not another's version of the truth. There is only one way, one truth, one God. And only through Jesus Christ can we find this way, truth, God. And therein is the life! Praise God Almighty!

• 2 months later...

The change is in acceptance of Jesus' teaching without rationalization and the same should be the concept shared in witnessing with our neighbors.

The concept that the perception of heaven and he11 is only the distance between a person and God once they die is very prevalent today and certainly made in order to rationalize a person's behavior. Acceptance of this concept and/or Universalism is merely that - and like a child's concept, a way to get around the rules.

• 4 months later...

I want to live my life every day according to God's word and doing His will. Like is could be my last day to live for Him and reach the lost. I would try to get them to realize that today could be their lat day on earth, they needed the Lord for eternal life. I don't think universalism would exist in a true Christian. Because everyone will not be saved, especially the devil, and there is not but on God, and the only road to him, is through Jesus Christ.