JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Disempowering the Old Nature, the Flesh

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). The natural inescapable consequence of sin is death. But on Calvary, Christ defeated death's claim on humanity because He never once sinned in any way. Our crucifixion with Christ means that the old sin-controlled body has been made ineffective and powerless because sin has now been rendered incapable of claiming anyone who has been joined to Christ. His victory is now our victory. We have the power of the sinless Savior at work within to enable us to resist and avoid sin, where we were utterly helpless before. This is not because of any kind of works or merit on our part; it is only because God loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation [atonement or appeasement] for our sins (1John 4:10)

Unredeemed people can never have real victory over sin and its wages of death. It's like being imprisoned or shackled because that sin-controlled body calls all the shots, leading the unsuspecting captives straight to eternal death. Christ has freed us from this control and this outcome! If we could just discipline ourselves as believers to make this our very first thought when facing down temptations and the flesh, we would not suffer defeat and enslavement like we do. We would approach things with utmost confidence in Christ's ability and provision, expecting Him to see us through. Even though we have been given assured victory, we continue to live with a mindset of bondage as though we were still enslaved. I think maybe our greatest challenge is not so much to gain victory, but to walk in the victory that has already been secured for us by our great Redeemer.

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

If we have been freed from sin, then we are no longer a slave to it. Because we have been given new lives, we are no longer under bondage to sin. Then, knowing this, when we are tempted to do something sinful, we can remember who we are in Christ, and call upon The Spirit to help us overcome these temptations. Also, if we fall into sin, then we can confess to The Father in Jesus' Name and be forgiven. There is now therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus!

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ? In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

It makes powerless or inoperative when our old self died with Christ, we are been remove to un-regenerated self's presence, and control. so we should not follow the remaining memories of it's sinful ways.

verse 7 said that "for he who has died has been freed to sin" when we died with Christ automatically we are freed from the slavery of sin. now we are slave of righteousness.

v12 "Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that you should obey it in its ****.

v13 "And do not present your members as instrument of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instrument of righteousness to God."

Because we shared his crucifixion on the cross we are united in him therefore our flesh & our sinful nature has taken an almighty blow, although it still exists it has lost its power so we are less likely to be dominated by it.

Before we were united with Christ we were slaves to sin now however we have been set free by his actions, his death broke the power of sin and slavery to sin.

It gives us great reason not to be tempted although we still do as we are weak, as we are human, we are united with Christ therefore we are close to him, when we feel tempted we should ask him to help us and draw more close to him, also we know that Jesus did that amazing enactment for us we should respect his actions and avoid temptations at all cost. If we fall short we can believe by faith that we are forgiven for our wrong doings as long as we confess and repent. What an awesome God we have!

We have been freed from the slavery to sin and are free to do what is honoring to God. Our old selves, the ones who sinned and didn't care what the effects were, are dead--we now know we have a choice--the choice to fall to temptation or, at the point of tempation, to lean on Jesus and God's power to resist!

We need to understand that, since we have been buried with Christ, then we have help whenever we are tempted. We no longer are left to fend for ourselves, which was always what got us in trouble, in the first place. That is the difference-separation from God=self+destruction. Life in Jesus=help+comfort. We are no longer on our own! And this is wonderful! I can lean on the Everlasting Arm! Gloray To God in the highest!!!!!! WHOOOOOO!

It is in a spiritual sense that we have died with Christ and been raised new to no longer have our sinful nature ruling our lives but our righteous nature now has control and we live for Christ. We have been freed from the slavery of sin we now can have Jesus in our hearts to guide us through those time of struggle when we are tempted He alone can give us the strength to over come our sinful nature. It give us hope in our walk that even when we do fail and sin that those are hidden in the blood of Christ and we are free from the death that they bring.

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7) In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

John the Baptist taught us, Christ would baptize us with the Holy Spirit, Power! Our flesh was powerless,

it wanted to do good, but found sins hold to be strong, we needed strength to run the race.

Christ came to give us power, He came to take the keys of hell and death and in its place He gave life!

The Messiah came to give strength to walk the walk, so we could live for God and be Christ's faithful bride.

In what way have we been freed from slavery? What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

The difference is found in FAITH, believing that God sent his Son, the Son nailed our bondage to the cross and God raised Christ from the dead, confirming to us, we are part of the family, we can live for Him, we are no longer a servant to sin, we are now a servant of the Most High, thanks to the Cross.

Q4. (Romans 6:6-7)

In what way has our "body of sin," our "flesh," our old nature been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ?

Our old, evil, unregenerate selves; our sinful nature has been rendered powerless at the cross. This is because of our union with our Lord Jesus Christ.

In what way have we been freed from slavery?

Now that we have died with Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary; not only has our penalty been paid, but sin

We were not able to save ourseleves because of our sins, Christ came at the right time to rescue us.

We were living under the slavery of sin, Christ freed us, we are only to have faith and trust Him. He paid all on the cross.

We are not to struggle with sin, when we believe in Jesus He will give us power to overcome temptation, with our strenght we can not make it.

The Lord's death on Calvary destroyed the death of sin. Being united with Him, His death has detroyed our desire to sin.

Living in sin is living in slavery or, bondage, as we are very much the slave of the sin we so crave.

By the Holy Spirit we are always reminded of our past transgressions which, through the strength of the Word, quickly reveals temptations to us. It is up to each believer to hear the still small voice of God and resist the temptation when He is warning us. By this understanding we live victoriously.

Working with the homeless is a constant reminder of what I have been set free from. It is so sad to see these men and women controlled by their addictions. Day in and day out they are as puppets on a string, the devil being the puppeteer. And, when they cannot afford to use, they coming running to the Lord for help only to dry out, return to work and repeat the cycle. Few make it. Most stay in bondage.

I love the analogy of the caterpillar, cocoon, butterfly. This helps me to visualize what happened when I died with Christ. The caterpillar decides to spin a tomb around himself, then actually liquifies in the dying process within the cocoon. It dies to the caterpillar it once was, but the DNA is there to be recreated into the new creature which can now fly!

My old sinful flesh was nailed to the cross with Christ, and when He arose from the grave, I was In Him, a new creature...His life is now infused in my DNA and I can choose whether or not to sin....prior to becoming a believer, I was a slave to sin. When temptation comes, I can rely on His strength, and choose to live for Him. A wise little girl once said "When Satan knocks at the door, I send Jesus to answer it!" We can do the same!

I must add that this learning and choosing to rely on Him is a process. As a new believer I had a vision of a young woman curled in the fetal position in the furthest corner of a prison cell facing the door. Then I noticed that the door was open. When I asked the Lord what it meant, He showed me that I was the woman in the cell and that I was free. It has taken many years of emotional and physical healing at His tender Hand to rise up and walk out of that prison cell.

Deliverance from many strongholds was another layer of being set free, as the strongholds were bondages set in motion through childhood sexual, emotional and violent physical abuse...those wounds drew me into sin even after I became a new creation in Christ. Isn't Jesus Awesome??? He continues to heal, deliver and set us free and will keep on until we see Him face to face...for THEN we will be like HIM. Halelujah!!!!

The old nature has been made powerless because of our crucifixion with Christ, So that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin, any one who has died with Christ has been freed from sin. For we know that our old self was crucified with Christ so that the body of sin might be done away with.

It makes our struggles against temptation a day by day struggle because we know that with out Christ if fall back into the old man ways slaves to sin, but then we fail in spite of our best efforts we have no power to do otherwise, but because we are united with Christ (born again) christians we do not fall to our whim's and passions because we have been freed from the bondage of sin through being truly baptized beleivers.

Our 'body of sin' is made powerless, not through any action on our part, but by our faith in God. We, as men (and women) are powerless to resist sin, except through our faith in God, through His grace.

Nearly 2000 years ago we were redeemed from our bondage to sin by the blood shed by Jesus on the cross. Therefore we are bought back by Christ to be His. Now we are not "married" to Satan (power of sin). Once the "old man" was made dead the marriage contract due to Adam wss made redundant/invalid. Now we are married to Christ (new contract). If we understand this great previlege that we have in Christ then in our life we can apply and exercise the power that we have in Christ with the help of the Holy Spirit. Rom 6:14 says that "sin has no dominion over us" or sin is not our master anymore.

Satan will definitely hide this fact from us and make us believe that we do not have the power to overcome sin. When we look at other Christians around us who fail all the time then we also tend to believe Satan's lies. But that is not true. God's words say that we have the previlege of having the help of the Holy Spirit to live a victorious life overcoming sins power. The question is are we making use of this special power we have in Christ or we still live a defeated life that was only available for the people lived in Old Testament times. In other words are we people living in the New Testament time?. If we are unable to overcome our temptation and always failing to same types of sins over and over again then we live like those people who lived before Christ.

Let us make use of the previleges that were earned by Christ for you and me and grow further and further learning to say no to sin. It is exciting to think that we can become like Christ one day if we are serious about our Christian life. He will change us once we allow Him to come into our life and that is the promise.

When Christ died sin that he took upon his body ( all sin from past and future ) was laid upon him. When he died

that sun was done away with . His death was payment for it all. and he threw it as far as the east is from the west

away not to xist any longer.

We when we choose to be baptised do so to show that we are dieing to sin . we experience a physical baptism

but it is a spiritual reality. that we understand that when we were saved we submitted to the fact that

we believe deep inside our being that Christ died in our place. our old self is gone and our new self can live

we essentially died when Christ did and rose when he did and must live that way with the Grace God offers us.

Sin no longer has effect on us and we are not a slave to it. So we should know and rely on the fact that the

power is existing in Christ to help us thru any temptation. If we fail it is not bcause we don't have the strength

and power to resist temptation. it is because we do not ask God's help or we reject his help and try to do it in

our own strength.

This should make a grave diffrence in our struggles for we have help in our struggles and if we do things

in God's strength we will resist and win. if we do it in our strength we will not win we loose ground.

we have the key to win and we need to obey submit and use it.

The death of Christ on the cross has weaken our old self with its power to sin willfully. Our old selF should no longer compel us to sin. Our Crucified and risen powerfull self has ALL the arsenal AVAILABLE to resist and overcome all sinfull urge. I am therefore not a slave any more to sin. I MUST PRAYERFULLY REMEMBER THIS ALWAYS. THIS REALISATION WILL HELP ME OVERPOWER SIN WITH THE HELP OF THE SPIRIT

Our sinful old self is dead and powerless because Christ was more powerful even than death, which was proved by His resurrection. Something dead cannot hurt us unless we willingly allow it to. Upon death, slaves no longer must serve their former masters. Since we are no longer slaves, we are free to choose to follow Jesus and His teachings.

NIV: Romans 6:6-7 The power and penalty of sin died with Christ on the Cross,"The body of sin" is not the human body,but our rebellious sin-loving nature inherited from Adam.

We must not think our body is evil,it is the sin in us that is evil,and it is this power of sin at work in our body that is defeated.Paul said,"Through faith in Christ we stand acquitted"not guilty"'The diffrence is,before we were saved,we were slaves to sin.Now that we are saved,we are free from slavery.Now we can choose to live for Christ.

We still have struggles against temptation to sin,but the diffrence is we"were slaves" to our sinful nature,but now we are not slaves,we have been set free because of Jesus death on the cross,and he gave us life,power over our sins through him.

OUR ''BODY OF SIN'' OUR ''FLESH'' OUR OLD NATURE HAS BEEN MADE POWERLESS BECAUSE OF OUR CRUCIFIXION WITH CHRIST, BECAUSE CHRIST DEATH ON THE CROSS BROKE THE POWER OF BONDAGE OF SIN UPON US.THE CROSS MADE THAT POSSIBLE.THANKS TO OUR HEAVENLY FATHER WHO LOVES US SO MUCH.

THE DIFFERENCE THIS UNDERSTANDING MAKE IN OUR STRUGGLES AGAINST TEMPTATION IS THAT SIN DOES NOT HAVE DOMINION OVER US WE ARE NOW UNITED WITH CHRIST THROUGH BAPTISM, WE HAVE NOW BECOME PART OF THE DEATH AND THE VICTORY OF THE CROSS.

What difference does this understanding make in our struggles against temptation?

We will continue to be tempted but this is nothing to be ashamed of (although feeling guilty about just being tempted no doubt pleases the Enemy very much).

It is not a sign of weakness; our Lord Jesus faced temptations more than once. Everyone is tested, even top students. The only problem lies in failing to pass the test.

This passage should give us confidence that we can overcome temptations because the power of sin over us has been broken and we can say, "I am no longer a slave to sin."

As others have pointed out, we have the power to resist!

... we now know we have a choice--the choice to fall to temptation or, at the point of temptation, to lean on Jesus and God's power to resist!

If when tempted we do sin, it's because we choose to sin or because we do not rely on the power to resist we have through Christ, not because we are a slave to sin.

Sin's power was broken on the cross and when we accept God's sacrifice of His son Jesus for sin then the power sin had over us is broken.

Befrore we came to faith in Christ, we were compelled to do sin's bidding, we were its' slave but that is no longer true, we now have a choice.We have Christ's power to refuse to sin.

This inderstanding makes a big difference in our struggles against sin because we know sin's power has been broken so if we call out to the Lord to give us strength and rely on Him, we can refuse sin and overcome it, we do not have to give in to it any longer. :P

ONCE FOR ALL!! When Christ lives in you your old self is gone by God's power. We can't do what Christ

doesn't represent once we are crucified in Christ. I no longer live but Christ lives in me so the Holy Spirit does the work through me. Christ caused the sin to evaporate. I say evaporate because it was a process of work over time. We no longer have to follow our fleshly nature, we need only to rely on Jesus to fulfill all our desires. The power & bondage of sin is broken through our crucifixion in Christ. Oh yes, we will be tempted, but we don't have to give in to it, Christ is right there to help so we don't/won't be slaves to sin any longer.