JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Reckoning Ourselves Dead to Sin's Power

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11? Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true? What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

RECKON-it simply means to count or number something, it was often used metaphorically to refer to having an absolute, unreserved confidence in what one's mind knows to be true - the kind of heartfelt confidence that affects his actions and decisions.

physically and spiritually it effects to our live when we consider the truth that the death of Christ is our death. that we know that we freed from the bondage of slavery of sin, that the lies of the devil won't work in us now.

To reckon is to calculate the facts, to "run the numbers", to take into account and weigh the reasons for something. One definition I found in the Greek for this word set me in renewed awe: a thing is reckoned as or to be something, i.e. as availing for or equivalent to something, as having the like force and weight. (I had to read that carefully a couple of times to get it) The Son of Man lived a sinless blameless life of perfection here on earth. That is mind-boggling and astonishing to my human mind because I know how humanly impossible that is to attempt. But in my spirit dwells the same supernatural power that enabled Christ to do that, in equivalent force and weight.

To truly grasp this would mean that I consider the truth that the Holy Spirit.desires to work in me in the exact same way to the exact same degree for the exact same outcome that He worked in Christ, and also calculate that truth into my sum total of living. Christ died to sin in His death on the cross - disabled and conquered it. As one now united with Him in that triumph, it has to be true that I have also died to sin. I know this is real because sin does not have the same appeal to me that it once had. Oh there's plenty of failure on my part, but I'm not so comfortable or satisfied there. To really take this truth to heart will make me more confident to face life with awareness of His victory over sin and reliance on His power to enable me to experience that victory with Him.

We can count on, consider, regard the facts known.

No, we can count of, consider, regard what Jesus did for us and who we are in Him.

That is the magnificent change Jesus can make manifest in our lives when we give Him total allegiance.

I see myself as having the same resurrection power and life-sustaining power as Christ. I can now life the Christ-centered life that was provided for me when Jesus died! Only through His death and resurrection, do I have this. It is nothing that I did. And, because I believe in His death and resurrection, I truly want to live this Christ-centered life. My relationship with Christ is the only thing that makes me happy. It sustains me, when everything else around me is crumbling. I know that my Redeemer lives and that He loves me! This causes me to want to live for His glory!

"In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus." (6: 11)

I believe it means that we are no longer to accept sin asa part of our lives. We are dead in Christ we becamea part of His family and He lives in us so we are freed of the pain of death caused by sin through Jesus. We are no considering an untruth because we are a part of the ressurection of Christ also and that is God's truth not ours and if we died to Christ we will also livewith Him. The effect should be as Paul states in chapter 12 we should have a renewed mind weshould consider all things Christ and not dwell on the sinful nature that leads to death.

To count on something is you can believe its going to happen, a for definite in some ways for instance "you can count on Jesus Christ" Fact! I think what their trying to say there is true, its telling us that we can believe that we are dead to sin and alive in Christ.

When the Lord uses the word "Count" you can believe it as the Lord does not lie.

Knowing that now we have died to Sin and alive in Christ is a very powerfull message, we are more likely to try living like the Lord would want us to, believing that we have started again that the old sin has gone, that we can start a fresh and look forward, it gives us an easy start. If we had to carry all our sins alot of people would struggle and would probably feel that they would never make it, Because our old life has been lifted and our sins forgiven we are free, to live in Jesus Christ Amen!

Q5. (Romans 6:11)

What does it mean to "reckon, consider, and count" in verse 11?

To determine by mathematical process, reckon and calculate.

Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true?

No, it means that we are to accept what God says about us in verse 11, as true, and to live in the light of it. That is, count ourselves dead to sin, but alive to God, in Christ Jesus.

What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

We are dead to sin; therefore we have nothing to do with immorality, lying, cheating, gossiping, or any other sin. Now that we are alive to God, in Christ Jesus, we are called to holiness, worship, prayer, service and fruit bearing.

To reckon means to calculate, estimate, look upon as to consider, To determine by mathematical process. This mean that we are to evalute if it is true or false but we who put all our faith in Jesus Christ knows that all striptures has been written out of the inspiration of God and they are to inspire all believers of Christ as well as un-believers.

We will be believers and act on the truth of God . We are consider to be dead in the same way that Christ is now dead to sin.

Reckon in verse 11 is simply acting by faith and take as truth the fact that we died with Christ and are really, really dead to sin.

This is a life changing action meaning that we acknowledge that we cannot and will not live in sin any longer seeing that we have been made free from those shackles. Hallelujah!

This means that we should regard our old sinful nature as dead and unresponsive to sin. Because of our union and identification with Christ, we no longer want to pursue our old plans, desires, and goals. Now we want to live for the Glory of our Lord God. As we start this new life, the Holy Spirit will help us become all that Christ want us to be.

It is more than a mere vision or belief that change has occured, when we reckon and consider. It is the application of the truth. That what we can not understand or control, has occurred by God's grace. As the worm or maggot is transformed into moth, butterfly or other insects of flight... similarly we too are transformed by grace to no longer allow our sin nature to rule our lives but instead the victorious Holy Spirit gives us wings to overcome and escape the sweet traps of earthly deception and temptations. As the sin nature dies, so we must grieve it to let go of it and its influence of us. Yes, we must focus on the recovery from the loss of sin through a grief process before we can comletely trust in the fact it is dead and no longer can control us. We often keep its memory alive and therefore allow deception to draw us from truth.

Q5. (Romans 6:11) What does it mean to "reckon, consider, count" in verse 11?

To recognize and acknowledge the truth of and live accordingly....we rely on His Word, not on our feelings or circumstances.

Does this actually mean that we are convincing ourselves of something that isn't really true?

No, it means we are in agreement with the truth of God's Word spoken to each of us! (Satan, who enslaved us before Jesus entered our lives as Savior and Lord, will always hover nearby to whisper in our ear that he is still our master, and to try to deceive us into believing that nothing changed at Salvation....but the devil is a liar, and he no longer has dominion over us...we are free in Christ, and Satan is a defeated foe and is under our feet!

What will be the effect in our lives if we actually do consider it to be true that we died with Christ's death with regard to sin?

We will live knowing that our old "man" is dead, and we are no longer enslaved by the sin nature...when the old "man" tries to resurrect himself, we can, by the Spirit, crucify the flesh, and choose to rely on Christ's power living in us, to obey Him rather than our old desires and nature.

Satan surrendered the keys to our lives when we were washed in Jesus' blood... he doesnt' even have the keys to his own house any longer!

It means to count it so because it IS so! If you count a dozen apples, then you consider that you have 12 apples because you do. If we live our lives as though this is true (because it is), then a radical difference is obvious. We live as Jesus did-holy and pure, loving others in everything we do.

Christ power

A. to reckon, consider or count on means to- depend or relie upon, or expectation of.

B. This does not mean talking ourselves into something that isn't true , it is expecting something

that is is not seen physically but is true to be so.

C. The effect in our lives if we really consider this true should be that we for the most part

live a life that is close to what jesus expects us to live and are able to thwart temptation

to sin frequently. we will fail but we should not fail hugely or frequently in the same areas

there will be a growth in our lives. and we will quickly repent when we do sin.

I tend to think that Paul means that we should 'consider' ourselves dead to sin, and alive to Christ. If we truly have faith and trust in God, it is not a matter that we need to convince ourselves of. If we have given ourselves over to Christ, while we may be tempted to sin, we will be strong enough not to give in.

TO ''RECKON, CONSIDER, COUNT, MEANS TO LOOK INTO ONE SELF, TO EVALUATE AND ESTIMATE LOOK UPON AS CONSIDER. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT WE ARE CONVINCING OURSELVES OF SOMETHING THAT IS NOT TRUE. THE EFFECT IN OUR LIVES IS THAT WE WILL SPEND ETERNITY WITH OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST. HE DID DIED FOR THE SINS OF THIS WORLD AND I BELIEVE THAT WITH ALL MY HEART, NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT.

Christ died once for all and we just need to have the faith to consider it done. We can not die over & over to sin. Death is once. Whatever is Christ's is mine also. With faith I have the same power if I only believe.

We will live a more sinless life if we simply accept the truth of Christ's death and realize that every sin was nailed to the Cross with Christ for our sake. He did it for us so we wouldn't have to go through the torment that He did. We just have to call on Him and be forgiven not nailed.

He has transferred power to us, so we only need the faith to believe and tap into it and make it work.

Alive in Christ Jesus!!

1."In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus." (6: 11)

"Count" (NIV), "consider" (NRSV, NASB), "reckon" (KJV) is the verb logizomai, which is primarily a mathematical and accounting term, then used of cognitive processes. The basic meaning is "to determine by mathematical process, reckon, calculate." Paul often uses the term in a transferred sense: as a result of a calculation, "evaluate, estimate, look upon as, consider."

2. Does this mean that we are immune to sin's temptations? No. Nor are we strong in ourselves. But we believe that the essential power of sin has been broken in our lives by the cross and thus we are no longer compelled to be habitual sinners.

Either we believe Satan's lie that we are compelled to a life of slavery to sins, that we are weak and we can't escape. Or we believe the truth that Christ has broken the power of sin and the flesh, and that we can step out of slavery into freedom.

3. We are to believe and act on the truth: that we are dead to sin in the same way that Christ is now dead to sin. When we "reckon" Christ's victory to be the truth, then and only then can we move towards victory over sin in our own lives.

"Reckon, consider, count" is a accounting term that means "to take into account", "calculate" or "decide." We are not convincing ourselves of something that isn't true because verses 3-10 reveal the truth that believers have already died to sin because they have participated in Jesus' death. Since believers have died with Christ and have also been raised with Him, Paul now urges christian to consider themselves dead...to sin. Although before conversion they were still enslaved to the power of sin, now they are free to resist it.

To "rekon, consider, count" is meant to tuen the truth in our mind and be convinced (be sure without doubt) that Christ died to our sin once and we too have died to sin once. This does not mean that not we are being convinced to believe a lie. When we know and realise that Christ died for us once and we have should no longer live to sin. We will then be more victorious over sin.

To reckon in verse 11 means to count on it, act as if it is so.

No, we are not just trying to convince ourselves it is true,it is true! but our minds have a hard time comprehending it and believing it.

The effect of counting it to be true that we have died with Christ concerning sin is we will not live in habitual sin. We will be tempted and even sin at times but it will not be a habit like it once was.

Romans 6:11-To reckon is to count,to put in order ,to consider.We are now to count ourselves dead to sin.Our old sinful nature is dead.We must believe this in order to be saved .So lets declare what God in fact has made us.The Holy Spirit will help us in our daily walk with Christ Jesus.