JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Flesh, the Sinful Nature

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

Flesh, or sinful nature, is that part of us that is human-selfish. It is that part that wants what it wants, no matter how bad the want is-no matter who gets hurt. It is that part of us that causes us to be separated from God. This is the part that the "law" speaks to.

Paul uses the "flesh" to mean the sinful human nature of rebellion against God. It is the inherent proclivity to act in accordance with the dictates of sin. It strikes me as the perfect word for this characteristic, because physical flesh will die, and death is the ultimate result of sin. The flesh is part of this temporal earth and its systems, which one day will also pass away.

The way I understand the comment of "flesh" is referring to what us as humans want. This goes back to something that took me a long time to understand; original sin. I didn't believe in original sin until I understood what Romans really said. What I have found is a conflict between what I know is right as a Christian and what I want as a human. What I want as a human is the "flesh". Paul describes this conflict quite well.

Q1. (Romans 7:5) Paul uses the word "flesh" (or NIV "sinful nature") many times in chapters 7 and 8. In your own words, what does Paul mean by "flesh" in these verses?

The flesh is any part of us that does not live under the control of the Holy Spirit.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The word "flesh" appears 3x in chapter 7 and 13x in chapter 8.

My flesh is my human nature, my natural inclination to seek pleasure and fulfillment. The problem is that those things that I seek are most often a violation of what God has told me that I shouldn't do. Thus, they are sin. And, since I can never satisfy my desires, my nature, or flesh, is my greatest enemy.

:rolleyes:Flesh is the sinful nature of our human mind, and body. Our system is controlled by sin. We cannot get away with it ( with our own efforts ) because it is within us.

It means our sinful minds or attitude,or self that causes us to think and do things against the spirit of Christ that lives in us. When we do thinks that are sinful we are allowing our minds to rule and not looking for the spiritual side that Christ would have us do. We need to be able to give up our sinful thoughts and deed to a better knowledge of Christ.

1. My sinful nature. Selfishness and self-centeredness; trying to have all of my basic instincts fulfilled, for me usually in an exaggerated degree. I am the center of the universe and in control of my own destiny. Self-knowledge is the answer.

In his use of the word flesh, Paul means the antithesis of Spirit. All humans, except for the Christ when he walked as a man, are embodied and therefore sinful. This is unavoidable.

Flesh to me means the very thing i battle against daily and have to rely on God every moment for deliverance. It's the thing that looks so easy and alot of the times fun but the end result is seperation from God, because sin brings death and the flesh is our old sinful nature. But as Pauls says, O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Daily I thank God for His Son....He is the truth and the only way!!

The sinful state that we find ourselves in when we do that , that we don't want to do because it is wrong, even tho we do it any way, because the flesh is of darkness verses the Spirit of God light and we understands that we find that we are rebelling against God by opposing God value system.

When I read "flesh" I think of my mind, will, and emotions in their fallen, unregenerate state. My natural bent to sin. Who I was before I was born again, and that part of me that is dying daily now that I'm in Christ. It's the part of me that has yet to become fully Christlike...I was saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved....

The flesh is represented in two ways the actual physical body that all the human race is a part of and the flesh represents the evil nature that lives within us that was given to us through Adam. This how the body chooses to satisfy its desires and needs

Flesh, as Paul uses the word in Romans chapters 7 and 8 is used to denote the natural man, the first Adam, and his tendency towards sin. Our 'flesh' has a natural tendency to succumb to temptation and fall into sin.

The flesh has one desire - please self! Our inward nature is "carnal."

It is because of our "flesh"- our sinful nature, and its warring against God's holy laws,

that God had to send His Son; God's Son was able to keep all of God's commands,

therefore, He was able to send the Holy Spirit, to help those who understand the reason that sin,

the "flesh," had to be conquered.

It is because of our "faith" in Christ, that we can see - our "flesh" has been weakened,

the Spirit that lives in us is greater. The law is now seen through spiritual eyes, the law

is no longer a burden, we now have new goals to strive for, our purpose has been changed

from pleasing SELF, and the desires of the FLESH, to bringing honour to God,

for Christ has set us free.

He means when we were in our canal, fleshly state, before we were regenerated, or under the carnal pedagogy of the laws.

I agree that "the flesh" is used to describe the natural man as we were from the time we were born until we were born again. We were sinners by nature, having inherited that trait from Adam who willfully disobeyed God. I believe in Romans 7, Paul was describing himself before he met Christ. He wanted to obey the law but could not. However, he ends the chapter by explaining how he has been delivered through Jesus Christ our Lord

In Romans 8:1, Paul points out that the condemnation is gone for those who are in Christ Jesus, who are led by the Spirit instead of following our own fleshly lusts. Paul said one time "I die daily". If Paul had to crucify the flesh daily, we must also do the same. However, that is not something we can DO. We must submit to the Spirit, confess our sins and He will cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we have a haughty spirit and think that we can live above sin without the leadership of the Holy Spirit, we are in for a great fall.

When Paul was talking about "flesh", I think he was talking about the inner self, our heart and mind. the part that wants to go the world's way. The part of our nature that want's to live in sin regardless. The inner self that knows the difference between right and wrong but still wants to do wrong because is our sinful nature. We were born in sin through Adam. It is the self that separates us from God.