JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Indwelling and Fullness of the Spirit

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us.

Indwelling of the Holy Spirit is accomplished completely by the LORD. When a person believes in the heart and confesses with the mouth that Jesus Christ is the resurrected Lord (Romans 10:9), the Father sends the Holy Spirit (John 14:26) as a gift to seal the adoption, guarantee the spiritual inheritance, and develop the character of Christ in the newborn believer.

When we receive the Spirit, we receive all of the Spirit. There's just no Scripture that says He comes in stages. However, being filled to the full requires a believer's participation. Ephesians 5:18-21 addresses this. Living a life filled with praise, thankfulness, and submission to God and His Body is the life of being filled with the Spirit. According to Ephesians 4:30, we can grieve the Spirit with corrupted talk (which issues from a corrupted heart). According to

1 Thessalonians 5:19, we can quench the Spirit by choosing disobedient, ungrateful, carnal lives. Either of these things diminishes the fullness of the Spirit, but never His complete abiding presence.

I liken this to a thermometer. All the mercury (or whatever is in there these days) that will ever be in that thermometer is already there. But it stays down in the little bulb at the bottom until heat causes it to rise and fill the column. The LORD gives us the responsibility to seek His power and direction in our everyday lives. Every time we stop being lukewarm to "heat up" by choosing to include the Spirit and elect to die to self, His presence grows greater within.

No, it is not possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit living in us. We can, however, quench His activity in us by our action & thoughts.

The indwelling of the Spirit comes when we accept Christ as our Saviour. Fulness of the Spirit can come & go depending on on how close we stay to Jesus & in communion with the Father--and if we are obeying Him.

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us?

No. If you are not of the Spirit, you are of the flesh. Christianity becomes a mental exercise, and we are carnally minded without the Spirit.

What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit? We can turn from God and the Spirit because we are still incarnate. I think we remain full of Spirit by constant meditation with the Spirit within. It is a dialogue, a surrender to righteousness.

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us? What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

It is not possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us. as the Bible said "Anyone does not have the Spirit, is not belong to Christ."

Indwelling means that the Holy Spirit is residing in us. it's inside us. Holy Spirit dwells in us after we receive Christ in our life. filled or full is when we speak in tongues. and it is empowering the believer so that we can do all what God's want us to do.

Continually doing God's will. remain us to be full of the Spirit.

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us?

The word Christian as an adjective means: of, pertaining to, believing in, or belonging to the religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ: As a noun it means: a person who believes in Jesus Christ; adherent of Christianity. In this case, yes, I am a christian because I follow and uphold the teachings of Jesus Christ / God the Father and the Holy Spirit. I personally do not like the word religion because it makes me sound like I am religious, which I am not because I do not belong to any type of religion. However, I daily build on a relationship with Jesus Christ as my foundation.

The word Christian is only found three times in the King James Bible.

Acts 11:26

And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Acts 26:28

Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.

1 Peter 4:16

Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, and I pray that my life as lived, glorifies God. With out His Holy Spirit inside of me, I could not make it one more minute. I accepted Jesus as my Savior, I believe that He died for my sins and that He rose again on the third day and now sits at the right hand of the throne and is interceding on our behalf. I did not ask for a fish to live inside of me, I asked for Jesus and His spirit dwells inside of me. I believe that jesus Christ is God

NO! As you state from the scripture we can't ba apart of Christ without the indwelling of the Spirit. If we believe truly in the Name of Jesus then God promises the gift of the Spirit. If we are pretending then the Spirit will have no part in us we are lieing to God and ourselves. We as Paul says can quench the Spirit by not listening and obey His voice in our lives. If we continue to walk in sin then we greive the Spirit and He has no power in our life. If we live by the Spirit then we speak the word of God boldly and show the work of the Spirit in our life.

This is what I have observed in this verse.

1. That the Holy Ghost is called the Spirit of Christ passively, and by way of reception, as being bestowed upon him, and received by him; also actively, and by way of collation, as being bestowed by him, and conveyed from him.

2. That all sincere Christians have the Spirit of Christ, they have him for the blessing of conversion, they have him for the benefit of communion. He dwells in them by his sanctifying impressions, powerful assistance, quickening and comforting influences. He pours in both the oil of grace, and also the oil of joy and gladness into their hearts.

3. There are some that have not the Spirit of Christ: Such as are carnal and sensual have not the Spirit; such as are censorious and envious have not the Spirit; such as are malicious and revengeful have not the Spirit; such as are implacable, and of an irreconcileable temper of Spirit, have not the Spirit of Christ.

4. That all such as have not the Spirit of Christ, are none of Christ's; they have no spiritual relation to him, they have no special interest in him, and can expect no present consolation or future happiness from him: The proposition is indefinite, and without exception. If any man, prince or peasant, rich or poor, bond or free, have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of Christ's.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:The mark of a Christian is the Holy Spirit residing in us. Christians are followers of Christ. To be able to follow Christ is to possess the same spirit as his. This is the only way we can imitate Him.

Our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. When the spirit dwells in us, our actions and our thoughts are of Christ.

Fullness of the spirit is the manifestation of the indwelling of the spirit. When we are filled with the spirit, we have achieved the highest degree of "holiness" in us.

We can remain "full" of the spirit by being in communion with God. By maintaining the holiness in us. By keeping our thoughts pure. :rolleyes:

Q3. (Romans 8:9)

Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us?

No, if we are not indwelt by the Holy Spirit, we do not belong to Christ.

What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit? The moment we receive Christ, the Holy Spirit not only comes to indwell in us, but He also imparts to us spiritual life, causing us to be born again as a child of God. There is but one indwelling of the Spirit, one rebirth. Being filled with the Spirit, however, is not a once off experience. There is much work to be done in our lives and we will reach fullness and maturity when we become like Christ.

How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?To be filled with the Spirit is to be controlled and empowered by the Spirit. We must desire to live a life that will please God. We must surrender our life to Christ, and not copy the behavior and customs of this world. We must confess every known sin immediately.

:rolleyes:

No it is not possible to be a christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us. Romans 8:9

The difference between the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the fullness is anyone who is a geniuine christian is indwelt by the Holy Spirit but not all geniuine christians are full of the Spirit. To be full of the Spirit we must be living in close fellowship with the Lord,submitting to His will and a shining light that points others to Jesus. We remain full of the spirit by consistently being in God's Word, obeying it and in much prayer, keeping close fellowship with the Lord.

Q3. (Romans 8:9) Is it possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us?

No, we do not belong to Christ until the Holy Spirit indwells us.

What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit?

I think there is some disagreement on this in the Body of Christ, so I can only speak about my experience. I was indwelt with the Holy Spirit when I came to Christ, and I knew as it says in Romans 8:15, that I was a child of God...He witnessed this to my spirit. But at a later time, I received the fullness of the Spirit, and the gifts of God began to manifest in my life. After that time, He had more of me and I was more filled with Him.

How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

We are commanded to be filled with the Spirit...it's a decision, a yielding, a pursuing, a desire to be filled, and I believe, asking to be filled. We can quench the Spirit and grieve the Spirit through walking in and pursuing after the flesh.

It is not possible to be a christian with out The Holy Spirit residing in you. We all have a spirital man inside of us God created us that way , what makes us a christian is when we obey God and continue feed that spirital man with the food of God's inspiring word so that the flesh will be under control by the will of God , so that the Holy Spirit can have the ride-a-way in our lives. In order to Teach us the will of God , lead us unto all of His Righteousness and to Guide us until Jesus Christ second coming , when He comes back for His Church, a Church witth out spots or wrinkles His Church Hallelujiah!! to The Lamb of God.

We learn "Full " of the Spirit is when our talk of God's way and will lines up with our everyday walk for God, with out any waving in our service for Jesus Christ.

[

IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE CHRISTIAN WITHOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT RESIDING IN US?

IT CERTAINLY IS NOT POSSIBLE,1 COR 3. 16, SAYS WE ARE GOD'S TEMPLE AND THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT LIVES IN US. SO IT IS NOT POSSIBLE ONCE YOU BECOME A CHILD OF GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT COMES AND DWELLS WITHIN US.

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

AS A CHILD OF GOD, WE BEGIN TO WALK IN THE WORD OF GOD BY OBEYING HIM ,PRAYING TO GOD,AND RECOGNIZING WHEN WE ARE GOING IN THE WRONG WAY THE HOLY SPIRIT GIVES US THAT LITTLE NUDGE TO REMIND US WHO WE ARE IN CHRIST JESUS.

HOW DO WE REMAIN FULL OF THE SPIRIT?

I TRULY BELIEVE THAT WE REMAIN FULL OF THE SPIRIT WHEN WE DEMONSTRATE,TO THE WORLD HOW GOD WANTS US TO LIVE, THE WORD OF GOD SAID THAT THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT IS JOY, PEACE, LOVE, SELF-CONTROLLED, LONG SUFFERING. AS CHRISTIAN WE SHOULD BE LIVING SO THAT THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT CAN BE SEEN IN US.

I believe that every human being has the Holy Spirit within, from birth, even before conception and birth. This Spirit may be forced down, in a deep sleep or hibernation, when the person has given himself over to his sinful nature. We must hunger and thirst for righteousness in order to awaken the Spirit within us, it takes dedication and work from us to keep ourselves full of the Spirit - we must study the Word of God, and strive to lead a Christ-like life.

I believe that every human being has the Holy Spirit within, from birth, even before conception and birth. This Spirit may be forced down, in a deep sleep or hibernation, when the person has given himself over to his sinful nature. We must hunger and thirst for righteousness in order to awaken the Spirit within us, it takes dedication and work from us to keep ourselves full of the Spirit - we must study the Word of God, and strive to lead a Christ-like life.

That's an interesting point of view, Rick. But you really didn't mean to say "even before conception" did you? That doesn't make sense to me.

If having the Spirit of Christ means belonging to Christ and you believe everyone has the Holy Spirit from birth and even before birth, are you saying we are born belonging to Christ?

I will agree with you that "we must study the Word of God." If there is something in scripture for the basis of this belief, please let us know.

It is not possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us. When a person receives the Lord Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit comes into him as a gift from God. He (Holy Spirit) is therefore the mark of a Christian and He is the one that helps us to live a successful Christian life.

The Holy Spirit dwells in us the moment we put our trust is Christ. So it is not possible.

We can quench the Spirit so that He can only dwell in us without our being full of the Spirit. If we want to be full of the Spirit we need to yield our bodies as instruments of His glory. We need to love Him with all our heart and soul.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

No, I don't think we can be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us. Indwelling-to exist within as an actrivating spirit or force. Fullness- that which is brought to fullness or completion. We were made full and complete when Christ sent the Holy Spirit. The Spirit dwelling in us is the best evidence of our being in the Spirit, for the indwelling is mutual, dwelleth in God, and God in him. The Spirit is living in us fully, in his home, where he stays constantly and is welcomed, and has dominion. We can remain full of the Spirit by keeping the Spirit that Jesus had. By being meek, lowly, humble, peaceable, patient, and charitable. Show His love. We cannot walk in His steps unless we have His Spirit. The frame and disposition of our souls must be conformable to Christ's pattern.

No its not possible to be a Christian without the Holy spirit in us. When except Jesus as our personal savior we are filled with the Holy Spirit he lives in us. To be filled with the Holy Spirit we must completely surrender our selfs to the commands of the Spirit.

No, it is not possible.

What is the difference (if any) between the indwelling of the Spirit and the fullness of the Spirit?

I believe there is a difference between the two. When we except Christ as the Son of God, we have the Holy Spirit dwelling, abiding in us; however, the fullness of the Spirit is our yeilding to His leading, the results being seen in lives full of Power, a people of good reputation.

How do we remain "full" of the Spirit?

Peter, filled with the Spirit spoke boldly and was very wise; however, even though he was filled with the Spirit on Pentecost, Peter knew he had to continually be filled, that is, if he were to stand up against the adversity that was coming against him, as We read in Act 4:31 When they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spoke the word of God with boldness.

We must also be in prayer, we must be in the word, and we must walk in obedience. To be filled with God's Spirit isn't a one time experience, we need to be filled with the Spirit on a daily bases, that is, if we want to be bold for the Lord. :)

:):wub:

It is not possible to be a Christian without the Holy Spirit residing in us.

The indwelling of the Holy Spirit occurs when we receive Christ into our lives as our Lord and Saviour.

The fullness of the Spirit is when we are baptised in the Spirit (with fire). We speak in tongues and are full and overflowing with praise and worship.

We remain full of the Holy ~Spirit by asking for a fresh infilling every day. Worshipping the Lord in toungues is a sure way to become, and remain full of the Spirit.

God bless you all

Love from Greta

:wub: