JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Being Led by the Spirit

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? What would it look like to watch a person do this? What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice? How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I came to Jesus, was born again, I made a choice to die out to the sin business and come alive in and through Him. My life turn around 180 degrees and I now would march to the beat of a different drummer. My rebellion and resistance towards Him ceased. My choice would be to walk in the light as He is in the light. I cannot do this by myself, but in His infinite wisdom the Father knew this and He has provided the Holy Spirit to live within, so that the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me. The Holy Spirit leads, guides in the ways I should go, and teaches the truth of Him who is Truth. It truly becomes no longer I who live but Christ. The theme song of my life is

We put them to death by the two words used by the pastor. Fight & Focus. Fight the tendencies to stray and focus on God. Seeing their reactions in questionable circumstances would show us how to do this.

To be led by the Spirit is allowing ourselves to be so open to the Holy Spirit and aware of His working in our lives each day--choosing to obey, rather than to satisfy our own desires.

All of this would be impossible without the Holy Spirit. If we put ourselves to death, we are actually saying "no" to our sinful desires & our "self." If we are calling the shots, then the Holy Spirit isn't not leading us--we've taken over. It all fits together beautifully as anything is that God puts together. Less of ourself leads to more of the Holy Spirit!

Putting the deeds of the body to death is not such a hard concept, but is an extremely hard thing to actually do! What does it look like? To me, it's when you don't do what comes naturally, but what can only be done supernaturally. It is starving the desires and thoughts of the natural flesh by replacing them with those of the Spirit by His renewal of your mind. To be led by the Spirit is to choose to believe God's Word and rely on His power rather than act out of whatever you think, want, or feel. It is living in light rather than darkness. It is listening to the quiet inner voice of the Spirit instead of the noisy demanding voice of the world. It is to live a life that looks more and more like the character of Christ that produces good fruit, more like the commands of God that produce moral purity, and less like the ways of the world that produce chaos, destruction, and death.

There are two powerful forces at work within, the flesh and the Spirit, both of whom desire to lead. But no one can follow two leaders. So one must be chosen to reign and the other must totally cease to influence. Our part is to make the right choice of which one we will submit to - and then actually submit! Because this is a supernatural conflict, the actual victory can only be gained by the Spirit.

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? What would it look like to watch a person do this? What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice? How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? What would it look like to watch a person do this?

I think this means forgivness, being washed clean of sins past, and a new spiritual awareness of sin and not sinning.

What would it look like to watch a person do this?

I think different people would have different manifestations of Spirit. Some would have attitude and resultant behavioral changes. Some you might see the Spirit on them physically, as a radiance.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice?

More prayer and less trouble.

How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together?

I believe they are one and the same.

How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

It is all Spirit.

It means being changed from the inside out when our outward actions resemble the life of Christ so much that others see it and want to copy them then we are truly being led by the Spirit. Seeing a person who once lived to self and the sins of the world and then seeing that same person turn away from sin and become a loving and giving person out to help other first would be what I believe itwould look like. Being led by the Spirit means that we no longer seek after what pleases our sinful nature but seek what the Spirit want to do in out lives and by that living out the Fruits of the Spirit that He gives us. The Spirit gives us the strength to over come the evil that we us to do and bring us to the place where we want to live for Christ every moment of every day.

As we allow the Spirit to dictate our behavior we die to sin and the flesh. Since this change occurs over the course of our lives it is diffficult for those who grow with us day by day to notice. The change is highly visible to those who shared our past with us and have not seen us over a period of time. As we walk in the light we are a reflection of the light.

Walking in the light is being led by the Holy Spirit. Simply, we turn our lives over to Him and He guides our path. This is putting to death the old person, which is our choice and allowing the new person, led by the Spirit, to manage our heart and mind. That is His choice.

To mortify or put to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit, is to give ourselves over to Christ through the Holy Spirit. We let Christ abide within us, become our guide, and we cast aside our sinful nature. I cannot imagine any one being able to completely give themselves over to Christ, becoming absolutely sin-free, and still able to exist within our normal mainstream society. To be led by the Spirit and to put to death our sinful nature takes great faith, like that of Abraham. We have to give ourselves over to the Spirit to start this process, then I imagine it becomes like a snowball rolling down a mountain, growing to gigantic proportions as we let the Spirit have more and more control.

To be "mortify" or "put to death".Discipline , self-denial and harsh self-discipline, put to death kill . Fighting the tendency to sin directly by self-denial, force of will, and harsh physical discipline. Foucing instead on the life of The Spirit of God , The Holy Spirit , The Spirital Man inside of us.

Paul best put it when he was inspired by God to write these words and he wrote "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucifed the sinful nature with its passions and desires since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit". (Galations 5:24-25). Those who are lead by the Spirit of God are sons of God"(Romans 8:14).

In actual practice it look like denial of one self to be hi-jacked by the flesh (sin), walking in the Spirit of God being real for Christ Jesus, Walkimg and talking living for God through His Son Jesus Christ.

When we walk accordance with the Holy Spirit we are following , being led, submitting and obeying all to Christ we put our desires of the flesh under controll through obeying Him and He puts to death our sinful nature of the flesh.

We have to face the truth and that is we can not seperate our-selves for the one who is in charge of our lives, Our Creator Father God and His Son Jesus Christ, If we try to be independent of His Holy Spirit we will surely die unto sinful flesh so we have to acknowledge that "With out God I can do nothing, With out Him I will surely fail, with out Him my life would be like a ship with out a sail". Just drifting going no where.

By focusing on the lord we will mortify or put to death the deeds of the body through the Spirit.

But it also requires a little self-discipline to put our focus on the Lord but the lord supplies that too when we go to Him for His strength. For example when I am tempted to overeat or have thoughts I shouldn't have or any sin, I go to the Word of God or recall scripture i have memorized,meditate on it and ask for strength from the Lord, next thing I know i have forgotten about eating or whatever temptation it might have been.

To be led by the Spirit is to deny our flesh and do as Jesus would have us do, no longer rebelling against him,but waiting upon Him to lead us in the way we should go. What this looks like in actual practice is the same as mortifying the flesh, we can't do one without the other or we will fail at both. We have to be led by the Spirit to have strength to mortify the flesh but we must be willing to do both.

To mortify means that, do put to death; do destroy. Sin is mortified when its power is destroyed and it ceases to be active. Mortification must be continual, and it must necessarily be painful; nothing that has life will be put to death without pain and struggling; the longer we delay to mortify sin, the more painful shall we make it to ourselves.

Those who are led by Spirit arthose who obey it rather than the flesh. The presence of the Spirit in leading them shows that they are sons of God. How are they led? (1) They have given up their own wills to do God's will, and seek to obey him in all things. (2) To them the Spirit is given as a helper of their weakness , and by its aid they overcome the flesh.

TO BE MORTIFY OR PUT TO DEATH THE DEEDS OF THE SPIRIT MEANS A LOT OF SELF-DENIAL AND WHOLE LOT OF SELF-DISCIPLINE, PUTTING TO DEATH THE FLESH. AND THIS CANNOT BE DONE WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE HOLY-SPIRIT,FOCUSING INSTEAD ON THE LIFE OF THE SPIRIT WHICH WILL HELP YOU TO PUT TO DEATH THE DEEDS OF THE BODY. TO SEE APERSON DO THIS ONE MUST UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS NOT EASY WITHOUT, THE SPIRIT,SELF-DENIAL FORCE OF WILL AND HARSH PHYSICAL DISCIPLINE CANNOT BE DONE WITHOUT THE SPIRIT, IT IS NOT EASY TO KILL THE FLESH, YOU NEED THE HOLY SPIRIT HELP. BEING LED BY THE SPIRIT IS WHEN WHATEVER AS CHILDREN OF GOD WE DECIDE TO DO ANYTHING WE MUST REALIZE THAT WE CANNOT DO THIS WITHOUT THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDANCE AND DIRECTION.WHEN ONE IS BEING KED BY THE SPIRIT YOU KNOW, THEY DISPLAY THE FRUIT OF THE SPIRIT AND PEOPLE BEGIN TO WONDER, WHY DOE NOTHING AFFECTS THE PERSON BUT IS THE WORKING OF THE SPIRIT AND BEING OBEDIENT TO THE WORD OF GOD.

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14)

What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

We must not let sin reign in our mortal bodies or let the lusts of the flesh control our decisions. These evil desires are to be put to death.

We would see the person recognize the evilness of their old self, as they find out there is no goodness in their sinful nature. They will learn to hate and abhor sin. Eventually they will rely more and more to be led by the Spirit.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit?

It is a relationship that takes place at the time of conversion. It involves the surrender of our wills to God.

What does this look like in actual practice?

As believers, we having been filled with the Spirit will be conscious of the almighty power within us, of our triumph over the world and over our sinful nature. We will want to please Jesus. We will fail every now and then, but quickly ask for forgiveness and repent and vow never to repeat that sin.

We will want to put to death all our evil desires and the Spirit will help us and strengthen us in accomplishing this.

While it is indeed the Holy Spirit who works in us; yet it is that walking in the Spirit is still our own choice. The Spirit leads rather than compels.

It is means we don't need to obey our sinful nature, by killing the sin that is in us. a person doing this, he is like a person who freed from prison. living his old life inside the cell. hating doing sin. he is a happy person. he is a person submitting his life to Christ righteousness. to be led by the Spirit means doing what the will of God is. if we will not obey our sinful desire is putting it to death, to do it we must led by the Spirit of God, and that Spirit must live in us. for greater is He who is in us, than who is in the world.

To mortify or put to death the deeds of the body by the Spirit is to subdue and keep under all fleshly lusts, and affections, deny ourselves the pleasure and humoring of the body. Through the Spirit we can do this. I think to see a person doing this, they would be walking in the Spirit, being led by the Spirit, their attitude would reflect God's attitude. Being led by the Spirit is when we have submitted ourselves in obedience to the Spirits guidance and teaching into all truth and duty. In actual practice we will have God's character of live, kindness, unforgiveness, mercy, and all the others that follow.They fit together because we have died to sin and the Spirt has taken over to lead us in the way of truth and righteousness. It is all us and all Spirit. We have to be willing to do our part, to die to sin totally and let the Spirit take over totally to lead us. Unless we are willing, the Spirit can do nothing.

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

It means that when the flesh wants to pursue fleshly pursuits, and is tempted, we ask the Holy Spirit for help in avoiding the temptation or fleshly pursuit, rendering it "dead".

What came to mind for me, is Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane...being tormented by Satan and tempted to avoid the Father's will in going to the cross, and to let the flesh win the battle of disobedience. He was resolved, His face like flint, after the spiritual battle, and He was at peace in the midst of the most agonizing moment in history.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit?

It means that the Holy Spirit is given reign over my flesh..that I listen to His promptings, and nudgings to follow a certain course or to do a certain thing, and yield to Him, rather than what my flesh might prefer to do.

What does this look like in actual practice?

Jesus is the perfect example...He asked others to stand with Him and pray, He prayed earnestly, until after asking for an alternative plan three times, even to sweating bloody sweat from the strain of yielding to His Father's will, He surrendered and obeyed....crucifying the flesh, before He went to the cross to be crucified.

Jesus did it....as He was being led by the Spirit and yielding His will to His Father's, He was putting to death His flesh and it's will....the putting to death of the flesh allows the preeminence of the Holy Spirit in our lives.

I think it's both...the Spirit leads, and we either agree and yield or disagree and give in to the flesh/temptation. This is how we grieve the Holy Spirit....ignoring His leading.

Ans:

What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? What would it look like to watch a person do this?

To mortify the deeds of the body by the spirit means to stop doing what is evil and do what the ways of Jesus. It will require a change in heart and mind. **** of the flesh and the **** of the eyes, covetousness, greed, unforgiveness should be put to death with Christ on the cross. Christ righteousness should be our new master and faithfully followed.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice? How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

A man with Christ is a new creation 2Cor 5:17 . His ways are righteous and pleasing to God. He is filled with the Holy Spirit.

... Live your life as your spiritual nature directs you. Then you will never follow through on what your corrupt nature wants. Gal 5:16

What your corrupt nature wants is contrary to what your spiritual nature wants, and what your spiritual nature wants is contrary to what your corrupt nature wants. They are opposed to each other. As a result, you don't always do what you intend to do. Gal 5:17

If we live by our spiritual nature, then our lives need to conform to our spiritual nature. Gal 5:25

The deeds of the body are our sinful actions. To mortify the deeds of the body by the Spirit means to put to death all those activities that are sinful. It means submitting to the Holy spirit of God to lead and guide us.

Putting daeth the deeds of the flesh look like and is taking every measure to shun sin by willfully avoiding any thing that leads to sin using our own efforts. In actaual sense, it means allowing the Holy Spirit to lead.

To be led by the Spirit is to obey whatever He says. When He says don't do that, you obey Him willingly.

Putting to death and being led by the Spirit fit togeteher because obedience to the Spirit is our own decision. We have a choice to obey or not to. Thus our initial decision to obey is essential before the Spirit takes over the leading as He will not force us to do any thing.

How much of this is us? A lot depends on our willingness to obey. Once we have taken the first step to submit ourselves, the Spirit provides the overwhelming power to overcome.

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit? it means to ask our Lord, the Son of God, to have mercy on us, and in His mercy to enter us and live in us so that we might live in Him, and through His Strength turn our back on sin

What would it look like to watch a person do this? it sounds like a violent act "to put sin to death" but in my experience it felt like bliss and so I guess that it might look blissful.

What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? it means to not lose sight of Spirit and listen

What does this look like in actual practice? peaceful

How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? Like two sides of a coin.

How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us? when I live in Him my mind is at peace, as if I where being lead by still waters, when I foolishly forget our Lord I make life really difficult for myself.

Christ, in His great mercy, has been my resurrection and my Life many times... I live in Hope that I will one day give myself to Him so completly that I will be free

Beliefs and Attitudes

Frequent repetition of the same type of thoughts create our beliefs and attitudes.

This is why I will be positive. I can be free from sin, just like Paul is saying, we all can do it with The Power of The Spirit

Q5. (Romans 8:13-14) What does it mean to "mortify" or "put to death" the deeds of the body by the Spirit?

Mortify is what we have to do, it is up to us. I have to thank God for giving to us the Holy Spirit, we are under the Spirit's influence, the Spirit is helping us to subdue those deeds that brought death.

What would it look like to watch a person do this?What does it mean to be "led" by the Spirit? What does this look like in actual practice?

We would see a person changing, we would see a person who is in prayer, in the word, having fellowship with other believers, changing the friends we once had, if necessary. We must practice righteousness, practice takes discipline, but the results are woth it, as we see righteousness replacing those deeds that once held us in its grip, remember, practice makes perfect.

How do "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together? How much of this is the Spirit and how much is us?

It all begins with the Spirit who draws us to Christ, but, it is up to us, it is our choice, do we follow the drawing of the Holy Spirit or do we not? His influence is strong, however, He will never make us follow Him, it is our choice.

I am thankful He drew me and that I chose to follow His lead, for I found life in Christ Jesus.

Now that I have God's Spirit residing in my being, He who is a strong and mighty influence on me, but it is still my choice, do I follow Him or not. It is I who must put to death those deeds that once had its hold on me, for they do not bring glory to God.

It takes discipline, prayer, fasting, reading the word and listening to the small voice of the Spirit that lives in me, convicting me when I need it; But it is still up to me, do I have ears to hear what the Spirit is saying, the heart that is thankful for this new life it has found, the love for God to be obedient to His commands, the desire to subdue those deeds? It is still my choice, yes - I have made my choice, Holy Spirit, lead me on the path of righteousness, I want to mortify those deeds that once had its hold on me. :)

We 'put to death' the deeds of the body when (with the help of the Holy Spirit) we cease to do them. Every time we slip up and do the wrong deed again, it is like reserecting that deed again and it takes even longer to get rid of it.

When we are being lead by the Spirit we are making the right choises and mortifying another piece of flesh. But - then - we slip up and have to go through it all over again.

I am afraid that quite a lot of this is me, for I seem to make a lot of wrong choises. Then, bless Him, the Holy Spirit comes to my rescue again, forgives me and puts me back on the right road, giving me a good place to stand.

To be through with, put aside,get rid off.

You would see a change in attitude and the way we approach the things of life.

We would be slaves to Christ wanting to do the things like he does following the Holy Spirit letting him lead us.

You would see us living by the fruits of the spirit.

Mostly the Spirit guiding us along if we truly surrender our selfs to God.

We put to death the deeds of the body by the Spirit when we turn our life over to Christ and allow the Spirit to lead us. We allow the Spirit to lead us each time we make a choice that develops into a fruit of the spirit as a result of an action or thought. The Spirit does the leading but we must make the choice to allow it.

• 3 weeks later...

When we mortify the deeds of the body by the spirit we stop doing sinfull things because the spirit is telling us this is wrong. A person's habits and attitude would be changed when they were led by the spirit. You wouldn't go to the places you use to go or do the things you use to do. These ideas of "putting to death" and being "led" by the Spirit fit together because your leaving one way of living and starting a new way. The more we learn and grow the more we understand the spirit, but it's up to us to have the faith to believe and make the right choices.

• 3 weeks later...

We make a conscious decision to be led by The Spirit. We no longer are concerned about the things of the flesh.

I went through this when I quit smoking. It was awful! But I made the choice to stop, and I cried, and begged God to deliver me from nicotine addiction. I didn't want to do it anymore. So, God delivered me from the addiction, but satan attacked me like you wouldn't believe! I had a really bad attitude-no one could stand to be around me! And, I became ill. One illness right after another! But I told God that I did not want to go back. The end. Two months, so far.

We have to be led by The Spirit, in order to make it through. We can't do anything without Him! No way!

I don't know what the ratio is, but I know that I had to want to quit smoking-actually desire to quit. And-I never would be able to do anything unless I have The Spirit helping me. So, maybe it's teamwork on both our parts. I don't know. All I know is, The Bible says that without God, we can do nothing, and I firmly believe that!