JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Holy Spirit as Mediator, Intercessor, Counselor

Q3. (Romans 8:26-27) How does the Holy Spirit act as a Helper or Mediator or Intercessor in verses 26-27? What similarities do you see between the Holy Spirit's ministry here with Jesus' teaching of the Spirit's ministry as Counselor/Comforter/Paraclete in John 14:16 and 15:26)? Why do you think we tend to take the Holy Spirit for granted or fail to understand His ministry to and through us?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spirit knows our hearts and intecedes for us in our weakness with groans which go beyond words. And we know when He intercedes for us it will be according to the will of God.

Jesus sent the Holy Spirit of God to take His place with believers as a counselor to always guide us. Romans 8:26 & 27 are a fulfilment of Jesus' promise.

I think we fail to acknowledge the Holy Spirit at work in our lives--basically forget about Him because He is a Spirit and He doesn't push Himself to be known--He is a quiet, powerful worker on our behalf.

How does the Holy Spirit act as a Helper or Mediator or Intercessor in verses 26-27?

The Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. He is standing / praying / interceding before the Father on our behalf.

What similarities do you see between the Holy Spirit's ministry here with Jesus' teaching of the Spirit's ministry as Counselor/Comforter/Paraclete in John 14:16 and 15:26)?

He is the one and the same for He stands before the Father on our behalf. He is our guide, teacher and advocate.

Why do you think we tend to take the Holy Spirit for granted or fail to understand His ministry to and through us?

Could it be that we struggle with putting our trust in one to be our advocate who is unseen? Or might it be that we struggle with accepting the fact that

How does the Holy Spirit act as a Helper or Mediator or Intercessor? The Holy Spirit lives in us and with us, it is like an extension of God within us. It knows when we are happy and when we are not. It knows when we are so distraught we cannot even muster the words to express the pain we are in.

The similarities between the Holy Spirit and Jesus started with when the Holy Spirit arrived to earth and to man. Jesus said he would send a messenger for us and he did.

We tend to take the Holy Spirit for granted because it is always with us. Look how we took our parents for granted while were growing up, and when we moved out on our own, we realized we needed to provide for ourselves at this point. I know I take my wife for granted all too often, but I know she will always love me in spite of my self centeredness.

Q3. (Romans 8:26-27) How does the Holy Spirit act as a Helper or Mediator or Intercessor in verses 26-27? What similarities do you see between the Holy Spirit's ministry here with Jesus' teaching of the Spirit's ministry as Counselor/Comforter/Paraclete in John 14:16 and 15:26)? Why do you think we tend to take the Holy Spirit for granted or fail to understand His ministry to and through us?

The Spirit helps us in prayer, by working in us a deep sense of our spiritual wants, by giving us an insight into the promises, and enabling us to plead them at the throne of grace, by creating and stirring up desires in our souls to have our wants supplied by encouraging and emboldening us to come to God in prayer as to a father, with an humble reverence and child-like confidence.

The Holy Spirit intercedes in us, by enabling us for, and assisting us in, the duty; by quickening our affections, and enlarging our desires; by setting us a-groaning after the Lord.

The similarities is that Jesus said that He will send a helper who is The Holy Spirit, Who is a powerful person on our side, working for and with us. He will minister to both our head nad the heart and both dimenstions are important.

We take the Holy Spirit for granted because we do not understand Him.

He helps us by praying in groans that words can't understand. He talks the language of God to the Father on our behalf and we are renewed in righteousness and in grace that God provides through the Spirit. The similarities are that Jesus and the Spirit are one as Jesus and the Father are one. They work that the will of the Father will accomplish what He has sent it out to do. The Holy Spirit is our intercessor here and now through prayer and Jesus will be our intercessor when we face that final condemnation by the devil and Jesus will say I paid there price they are not righteous by my blood. We take the Spirit for granted because He is God also and we fail the give Him the credit that He deserves for the intercession and healing strength that He provides when we fall and have to get back up and try again at being the child that God has called us to be.

The Holy Spirit discerns our hearts and minds and is able to intercede to the Father on our behalf in matters that we ourselves cannot understand. These can be deep seated issues that may grieve or bother us and yet, we don't know why. They may be related to people on our prayer list whose names we cannot recall. It can even be presumptuous sins that we cannot see or sins that we do not know. Whatever we can't pray that matters to the Father the Holy Spirit can.

In so doing the Spirit is accomplishing what Jesus did and said He would do. He comforts us by taking our known and unknown burdens from us and giving them to God and He guides through our prayers and life if we step aside.

The Holy Spirit is a meek and gentle person. As such, He must be allowed to have His will in our lives or we don't hear Him. When we try to dominate Him with our flesh we render Him ineffective and eventually quench Him. All because we never took the time to understand Him, taking Him for granted,

Q3. (Romans 8:26-27)

How does the Holy Spirit act as a Helper or Mediator or Intercessor in verses 26-27?

The Holy Spirit sustains us in our weaknesses, interceding on our behalf. Even in our prayer time the Spirit helps us to pray according to God

Q3. (Romans 8:26-27) How does the Holy Spirit act as a Helper or Mediator or Intercessor in verses 26-27?

The Holy Spirit comes to our aid and bears us up in our weakness...He helps us to know how to pray, and He goes before us to meet our supplication and pleads in our behalf with unspeakable groanings. He Who searches the hearts of men and knows what the intent of the Holy spirit is, who then intercedes and pleads before God in harmony with God's will. (He takes our prayer to the throne after perfecting it)

What similarities do you see between the Holy Spirit's ministry here with Jesus' teaching of the Spirit's ministry as Counselor/Comforter/Paraclete in John 14:16 and 15:26)?

In 14:16 It is the same purpose, different words...He is the Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby, and remains with us forever. In 15:26 it adds: That He may testify regarding Jesus.

Why do you think we tend to take the Holy Spirit for granted or fail to understand His ministry to and through us?

I think it is because He doesn't draw us to Himself, but to and through Jesus, to the Father. Also, His voice is a whisper...I remember as a new believer, putting some white clothes in the washing machine, and hearing a tiny voice say "The red trim on the pocket of that shirt will bleed onto the clothes." I quickly dismissed it as nonsense, and washed the clothes. My husband and son wore pink underwear and pink athletic socks for quite awhile...I told them the Holy Spirit warned me but I blew Him off! I learned a powerful lesson that day. Recently, as a result of that lesson, I believe I was spared from danger. I was in a rural area park, reading my Bible in the car and journaling. I heard that whisper "Start the car now and go." I obeyed instantly, and as I was driving out the narrow entrance/exit, I passed a car with a man in it. Our eyes met, and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. I could see the evil look on his face...I knew if I'd stayed I would have been trapped...no other cars or people were around. I Praise You Holy Spirit for always helping me, and for Your faithfulness!

The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness, with our pray for we do not know what to pray so He groans, for the saints in order that we are with in the will of God's will. "The world cannot accept Him, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him. Because we can not see Him, even tho we know Him and that He lives in us we some times do not let Him teach us, lead us unto all of God righteousness.

The Holy Spirit helps us bring our cause to the Father. When we don't know what to say, he searches our hearts and tell it to the Father. He speaks on our behalf to the Father.

When Jesus resurrected to heaven, he sent us the Holy Spirit to continue His ministry when He was still on earth. The difference is that, the Holy Spirit is able to do the ministry personally to everyone of us. While Jesus, did His ministry to limited number of people- His apostles and the people eager to hear and receive the gospel message.

We take the Holy Spirit for granted because of our ignorance of the Truth. The Holy Spirit is not in us. We have not buried our sinful nature on the grave with Jesus yet. We still live on our sinful nature. We are still slaves to sin.

The Holy Spirit helps us by uuttering our cries to the Lord. He also guides us by teaching us what to say, how to say it. His action is similar to the intercession role of the Lod Jesus because Jesus is now at the right hand of God pleading and interceding on our behalf.

I think we tend to take the Holy Spirit for granted and do not seek for His assistance because we do not see him.

The Holy Spirit is our Helper, our Mediator, and our Intercessor because he intercedes for us in our hearts. He dictates for us our request, our petitions, and our pleas. Christ intercedes for us in heaven, the Holy Spirit here, in our hearts, teaching us how to pray when we don't know how or what to pray for. The similarities are the same. The Holy Spirit picked up where Jesus Christ left off and does the same as He did when He walked the earth. He is our helper, our strength, our comfort, and he intercedes for us, teaches us, and he will never leave us. The same as Christ Jesus. We take the Holy Spirit for granted or fail because we do not pray in the right way. We pray amiss. We follow the flesh, or not willing to seek the Lord for what is right, not willing to let the Holy Spirit teach us. When it comes to prayer we are weak, we are distracted, we do not pray from the heart. The Holy Spirit helps us to do all these things according to God's will.

The Holy Spirits leads us in the way of truth. He prays for and through us with groanings which cannot be uttered. We are so often as children in prayer. We need the Holy Spirit to "make "our prayers align with God's will.

He is our Comforter! Without Him we would be alone in this world not knowing the way of truth. We would forget our Savior.

The ministry of the Holy Spirit is not taught in many churches. He is ignored in many sermons. He is not even acknowledged in our prayers.

He is our first shield of defense against the enemy if we listen, if we learn to discern His voice. He seems to be the silent one of the Trinity however I think that is because the noise of the world is always competing for our attention. I don't believe anything gets done without the Holy Spirit.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The indwelling Spirit helps us to be Holy because we do not know how to be. The Spirit is what causes us to cry out to the Lord for redemption and salvation, to ask for what is righteous, and to long for it.

We tend to take the Holy Spirit for granted because we forget that it is a gift from God and think that it is part of ourselves, or self originated. It is not.

The Holy Spirit stands in the gap between the natural and the spiritual. He translates our hearts to the Father and the Father's heart to us. He searches our thoughts and prays for us according to the will of God.

This ministry of the Holy Spirit is exactly what Jesus said it would be. The Spirit brings the comfort of the Father to the burdened heart. The Spirit brings the counsel of the Father's wisdom to our loss for words. The Spirit relates our prayers to the Father, working in our hearts to conform them to the will of God.

It's impossible for the natural to understand the supernatural. We can't see or touch the Holy Spirit, so He may seem unreal to us. He doesn't force Himself on anyone and His voice is quiet. When we operate in the flesh, we aren't listening; we aren't aware of His ministry to us and on our behalf.

HOW DOES THE HO;Y SPIRIT ACT AS A HELPER OR MEDIATOR OR INCESSOR INVERSE 26-27.

THE HOLY SPIRIT HELPS US IN OUR TIMES OF WEAKNESS,WHERE THE HOLY SPIRIT INTERCEDES FOR US WHEN WE ARE UNABLE TO PRAY,THE HOLY SPIRIT GROANS FOR US ON OUR BEHALF MEANING HE PRAYS FOR US.

WHAT SIMILARITIES DO YOU SEE BETWEEN THE HOLY SPIRIT MINISTRY HERE AND JESUS TEACHING OF THE SPIRIT MINISTRY AS COUNSELOR/COMFORTER.

JESUS WAS THE ORIGINAL HELPER FOR THE DISCIPLES, WE SEE THIS IN JOHN 14;16,TOWARDS THE END OF JESUS MINISTRY HE BEGAN TO TELL THEM ABOUT ANOTHER COUNSLOR WHICH IS THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH, WHO WOULD COME. THAT IF WE SIN WE WOULD HAVE AN ADVOCATE WITH THE FATHER.

WHY DO YOU THINK WE TEND TO TAKE THE HOLY SPIRIT FOR GRANTED OR FAIL TO UNDERSTAND HIS MINISTRY TO AND THROUGH US.

I THINK WE TAKE THE HOLY SPIRIT FOR GRANTED, BECAUSE THE HOLY SPIRIT DOES NOT FORCE US TO DO ANYTHING, WE HAVE A CHOICE TO EITHER ACCEPT WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT IS SAYING TO US OR NOT. MOST TIME WHAT SOME CHRISTIANS WANTS TO HERE IS NOT WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT IS SAYING TO THEM, SO WE BEGIN NOT TO WANT TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HOLY SPIRIT IS SAYING.

The Holy Spirit is the one who will teach us what to ought to pray, the Holy Spirit also will act as intercessor for us to the Father, He will groan (pray) for us. the similarities of the Holy Spirit and Jesus teaching in Jn 14:16 ang Jn. 15:26 the H.S send to in us to help us to do the work of Christ, and to be the witness. we take the Holy Spirit for granted because we don't listen to His leading, we ignore His purpose into us, by doing those we fail to understand the real work of the Holy Spirit through us.

How does the Holy Spirit act as a Helper or Mediator or Intercessor in verses 26-27? What similarities do you see between the Holy Spirit's ministry here with Jesus' teaching of the Spirit's ministry as Counselor/Comforter/Paraclete in John 14:16 and 15:26)?

The Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don

The Holy Spirit helps us in all God's ways. He will never help us to do anything that is wrong. He knows what we ought to pray and helps us to do it, sometimes it is in groans that words cannot express, sometimes in our natural language and sometimes in tongues. The Holy Spirit shows us Jesus. He is the Spirit of Truth and we can rely on what He is telling us. He was there before the world began; He was also there when Jesus was crusified on the cross, and He brings the truth of Jesus' sacrifice to our understanding, and our spirit within us confirms that it is true.

What Jesus teaches us of the Spirit's ministry in John 14:16 and John 15:26 is the same as we experience today in the person of the Holy Spirit. He fulfills all that Jesus said He would.

Do we take the Holy Spirit for granted? I hope that I don't for He is a very special person. I know that without His daily care and guidance I would be lost. He enables us to do things that we could never do in the natural. We are told we are not to grieve the Holy Spirit and I think this is because He is a very gentle person. We must not hurt Him in any way.

God bless,

Love from Greta

The spirit intercedes for us, the spirit guides our prayers. Jesus, in the verses from John, tells the apostles that when He is gone from us, we will have the Holy Spirit to dwell with in us. It is hard for us finite beings to understand the body-less spirit, since we don't really understand the concept, it is easy for us to say 'Oh, yeah, the Holy Spirit' without really knowing what we are saying or depending on.

He helps us in our weakness. He knows our needs and relays them to God through prayer which he gives us.

Jesus ministry to the apostles is the same way the spirit acts in us now. He helps us in the same way he helped them back then.

I think because people can't see or hear the spirit they forget he's there. I hope that's not me because i can feel him convict me when i start to slide. Guiding me in the right direction.

The Holy Spirit acts as Helper/Mediator/Intercessor by speaking for us in prayer. The similarity is in the purpose - to help, mediate, or intercede being similar to that of a councelor.

I think we take the Holy Spirit for granted or fail to understand His ministry to and through us because we so closely relate the Spirit to Jesus, as if they are one. Where we can picture Jesus in our mind (whether it's an accurate picture doesn't matter), it is hard to picture the Holy Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Holy Spirit checks our hearts and knows what and how we suffer-He knows us better than we know ourselves. He can express our needs so much better than we can. I think that The Holy Spirit works along side of Jesus when dealing with our prayers. The Spirit translates to Jesus, and Jesus takes the translation to The Father.

I think some people have trouble with believing that The Spirit is real, or that He is on our side. We are bombarded with evil spirits in movies, when we are with our peers, etc., and so whenever The Spirit of God is mentioned, some people freak out. In the case of believers, I think that we feel more comfortable with believing that Jesus and God the Father are with us, and The Spirit gets put on the backburner, which is really sad. The Spirit is here with us to give us the strength, courage, and knowledge that we need to get through whatever it is that we are experiencing. We need The Spirit just as much as we need Jesus and The Father.