JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Conquering Overwhelmingly

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, the early Roman Christians were tormented, tortured and sometimes killed for what they believed. This is true devotion.

Christians today are exposed to a various perils. In the US, we have a choice to follow Christ and are not persecuted for doing so. However, there is a fair amount of peer pressure for it is a choice we must work at for it is easy to slip out of being a Christian in the US. From what I've heard from other countries, they are/have been persecuted like the early Romans Christians.

Christians overwhelmingly conquer through two ways. First, at Judgment Day, Jesus is our arbitrator for us, standing up for the sins we have committed. On a lesser note, one I've seen through my observations and discussions, many of those who have been against Christ all their lives turn to Christ on their death bed. The same ones who have persecuted Christians throughout their lives are afraid that there may be an afterlife and turn their life to Christ. I'm sure this is a blessing to those families who have tried converting this individual all their lives.

You name it, the early Roman Christians faced it. The same is true today. But the good news is that in the end these things do not conqueror the Christian for he ends up living with the Master he served in a beautiful place which is being prepared for him. Praise God the journey is not over until Christ welcomes us home. Then, at that point in time, we are more than conqueror through Him who loved us and gave himself for us.

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to? What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today? How does this passage reassure us? In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

The early Roman Christians were exposed to terrible forms of tortorous death as are many Christians today plus banishment and other forms of punishment.

Nothing nothing ever will separate us from the love of Christ. It is hard for my mind to comprehend but the Bible says it and the Holy Spirit confirms it. It is very reassuring to read those words.

We are overwhelmingly conquerors if we remain in Christ in the face of all our foe can throw out at us. God will be glorified and that is our goal.

Remember to tap into the source of our strength daily!!

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The early Christians were exposed to imprisonment, physical violence, and brutal deaths. Today, Christians of the Western world have not known this kind of peril, but others throughout the world have continued to suffer in this way. In the west, we are slowly but surely moving to times of persecution, as we have compromised the holy truths of God with the desire for earthly desires and culturally forsaken His righteousness. The Christian roots of American history are being altered; freedoms are being challenged; moral integrity (especially regarding the sacredness of marriage, sex, and human life) is under siege; blind apathy is almost palpable; ridicule and contempt are growing for Christ and those who bear His name.

Even as we see this coming, especially with last week's election of a new president whose record and rhetoric give reason for great concern, it is our one certain assurance that even under judgment, nothing can separate God from His children. I am grateful to know that I know that I know that the victory over sin and death that Christ gained is sure and unchangeable - and mine! I believe that through our resolute faith in God's faithfulness to His promises, He will be our strength, provision, and the ultimate rescue!

The Christians in early days were subject to persecution by the government--violence often leading to death. Today's Christians are more subtley persecuted in the USA, but, today, in other countries, it is not unlike those Christians suffering in the early days. It's just a matter of time until that increases.

This passage assures us of God's love & care for us no matter what happens to our physical bodies. We have the hope of being with Him in death!!

God, through the Holy Spirit, gives us the power to face these struggles. But, because of God being on our side, We Are Conquerors!! Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ!! Praise Him!

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to?

I think v.35 is describing what they faced: suffering, affliction, tribulation, calamity, distress, persecution, hunger, destitution, peril, sword....Christians were thrown in prison, crucified, driven into the desert. Hebrews 10 speaks of them being a gazingstock, publicy exposed to insults and abuse. having their goods plundered and property confiscated. Some were tortured to death with clubs (Heb. 11:35-38)Some were stoned to death, scourged, chained, lured with tempting offers to denounce their faith, cut in two, slaughtered by the sword while still alive. oppressed, going about in animal skins living in caves, holes in the ground and caverns.

What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today?

In America, very little except perhaps ridicule or ostracizing on occasion. In other countries, many of the things mentioned above are happening today. In Orissa, India at this moment 500 have been killed, 70,000 are living in camps to escape death, their homes are being burned. A YWAM group is locked inside their compound being threatened with death. In China they are forced to sweep sewage down the gutters and other menial, disgusting jobs and worse. Perhaps our time is coming to endure the same.

(Father we cry out to you for mercy and favor and deliverance for our suffering brothers and sisters in other lands, and pray that you will strengthen and comfort them with Your Presence)

How does this passage reassure us?

None of those things shall ever separate us from christ's love. For His sake we are put to death all the day long; regarded and counted as sheep for the slaughter...yet He will go through whatever we face with us.

In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

We gain a surpassing victory through Him Who loved us (enough to lay down His life for us)

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to? What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today? How does this passage reassure us? In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

Paul tells us of beatings,stoning, shipwreck,going hungry,ridicule and character assination. I am sure that He would include his everyday struggles and his aches and pains, I know I do. We face many of the same here is the States we don't face death but sad to say there are still place in the world where to worship God openly is to chance death from government or radical people. We conquer when we live our lives for Christ knowing in the end that He is the conquer of all our fears and troubles, He isour final rest and salvation.

Early Christians were maimed, imprisoned and murdered. It hasn't changed. More Christians were martyred in the last century than in all previous centuries combined.

Here in America we are imperiled by a society that is declining in morality and increasing in Godlessness. The temptations are many.

Christ's great love for us is stronger than anything that we can confront in this world. That should put us at a level of confidence in our Savior that not only makes us conquerers but gives us the blessed peace that is for all time. Nothing can stand in our way.

The perils that early Romans Christians face were most persecution, to these the early Christians were constantly exposed, famine. To this they were also exposed as the natural result of being driven from home, and of being often compelled to wander amidst strangers, and in deserts and desolate places. and many others.

For us Christians some parts of the world Christians also under persecution like Irag, India, and few other Countries. From the love of Christ. This expression is ambiguous; and may mean either our love to Christ, or his love to us. I understand it in the former sense, and suppose it means, "Who shall cause us to cease to love the Saviour?" In other words, the love which Christians have for their Redeemer is so strong, that it will surmount and survive all opposition and all trials. The reason for so understanding the expression is, that it is not conceivable how afflictions, etc., should have any tendency to alienate Christ's love from us; but the supposed tendency to alienate our love from him might be very strong. They are endured in his cause. They are caused, in a good degree, by professed attachment to him. The persecutions and trials to which Christians are exposed on account of their professed attachment to him, might be supposed to make them weary of a service that involved so many trials. But no, says the apostle. Our love for him is so strong that we are willing to bear all; and nothing that these foes of our peace can do, can alienate us from him and from his cause. The argument, therefore, is drawn from the strong love of a Christian to his Saviour; and from the assurance that nothing would be able to separate him from that love.

The early Roman Christians was experiencing persecution and in a sense you may say if you can name it they experienced it , death , hardship , hunger , with out adequate clothing , danger , tribulation , distress , oppression , affliction , ect. like I fore stated you name it and the early Roman Christians was exposed to it.

Today Christians are exposed to the same as the early Roman Christians, the Year-Date- and time of the ages has advanced but the same danger they was exposed to the "early Roman Christians", we experience at this present ages of time, nothing has changed Christians suffer and suffering is a part of this journey to the Kingdom.

We find reassure through having the knowledge that God will not forsaken us , He is always there and will not ever leave us out their along , He is in the mist of all our persecution , tribulation , He is in the storm with us. Therefore we have nothing to fear because we know that the Power Of God is given to us and we are at peace with what ever condition we find we are in.

Roman Christians: Persecution, prison and horrific death.

Compared to what the Romans Christians had gone through what we face now could be infinitesimal. In some countries Christians still face persecution and death (Orissa, Sri Lanka etc.) but where I live we have such a freedom to practice Christianity. But I fear that material wealth is a great snare for our young people. They get very high salaries as soon as they leave colleges and Universities. This is not helping them at all in their Christian walk. The peer pressure and the emerging immoral western culture, the drugs, alcoholism, free *** (before marriage) steal our young ones away from God. This is the big threat I see around me.

But I still believe the God in His sovereignty has answers to these perils. We need to continuously uphold our young ones in our prayer so that a hedge will be formed by God to protect them from all these external forces. We believers have the responsibility to show these people around us through our life that Christ is a living God. He lives within us and thus they should be able to see that in our every dealings with us. We may be the Bible that they could read and come to know God.

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36)

What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to?

They were constantly exposed to persecutions and even loss of life for their faith. They experienced many trials and tribulations because of their love for Jesus. This resulted in distress. They also faced famine and many kinds of dangers.

We may be exposed to numerous perils very much like the early Christians. We may experience troubles that cause hardships and distress, anguish, persecution or harassment. Then there is starvation, being unclothed or dangers and risks of many kinds, and even perhaps violent death.

How does this passage reassure us?

We know that nothing will separate us from the love of Christ, and that we are not only conquerors, but more than conquerors. We will therefore be victorious over any perils that may come our way; and in so doing bring glory to God.

In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

It is only through Him who loved us

The earlier Roman Christians actaually experienced intense persecuation from the Roman authorities. This ranged from inprisonment, beating to death.

Christians today still face similar perils the earlier Christians experienced. This is generally less now but is still prevalent in some Midlle and far Eastern parts of the world and in some northern states of Nigeria.

This passage is reassuring all Christians that even in trials and difficulties, the Lord God is on our side to give us victory over our enemies and oppressors.

We Christians overwhelmingly conquer in the sense that means that His victiry is our victory even in situation when the enemy seems to have won. The death of Jesus was thought by satan to be victrory for him but it turned out to be overwhelming victory for the Lord Jesus as His death led to the salvation of many souls. God turned it for good.

The early Christians were likely exposed to imprisonment, torture, death, persecuted for their following of the Son. We are faced with the same today, although, depending upon situation, the perils may seem to have a blander face. Both early and modern Christians were/are faced with spiritual peril, which is timeless. The world, and spiritual death, is always the same.

This passage reassures us that nothing can separate us from God. That is the overwhelming triumph, that God, in so many ways, has given of Himself to us, and his gift is irrevocable.

The perils of early Roman Christians were beating's, thrown to lions, set on fire, and even hung on crosses. The perils today are false teacers, the world, and compromising the Word. The passage reassures us because there is nothing that can take God's love away from us. By being overwhelmingly conqueror's we are mighty triumphers. It is only through Christ that loved us, His death on the cross, the Spirit of His grace strengthening us, comforting us, giving us courage and constancy, and support to face our troubles. Through Christ grace, we can look forward to the riches and the glory that is awaiting us.

The perils of the early Christians, and, indeed, those of today are similar in many respects. Even today, there are many places where Christians are killed in as barbaric fashion as in the early centuries. There can also be much subtler persecutions today, in supposedly tolerant societies. We are reasurred here, that even though we may suffer humiliation and death, the one constant that we can always look forward to is God's love - it is there, always ready, always powerful, just waiting for us to claim it. How hollow the victory must be, as in Polycarp's case, when a very powerful leader puts frail, elderly people to horrible deaths for confessing their faith in and love of the Lord.

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36 What will separate us from the love Christ has for us? Can trouble, distress, persecution, hunger, nakedness, danger, or violent death separate us from his love? As Scripture says: "We are being killed all day long because of you. We are thought of as sheep to be slaughtered.")

What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to?

God's chosen people have been persecuted throughout history. They were enslaved in Egypt, deported by the Assyrians, attacked by Nebuchadnezzar, nearly purged by Haman, and oppressed by Roman rule.

Persecution continued with the death of Christ, the greatest rabbi of all times; Then it was Steven who was filled with the Holy Spirit. Steven, who's love for God and for Christ, was evident in his last words spoken, "forgive them for they know not what they do."

We see the early Christians peril continuing with the Jewish believers in the Messiah, tortured, there are no words to describe such hatred. We do know where hatred comes from, Satan. Persecution continued with the disciples, who were all killed except for one.

Persecution of God's chosen people continued with the Jewish people being portrayed as Christ killers, plague carriers, demons, children of the devil, bloodthirsty pagans. It is very hard to say but, Persecution continued with the pulpit propaganda of the early church fathers; Eusebius of Caesarea, Cyril, Chrysostome, Augustine, Origen, Justin, and Jerome.

God has called us to put on Christ, to love one another, you will know them by their FRUITS.

Gal 3:29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's descendants and heirs, as God promised.

We believe in the God of Abraham, that God sent His Son, the Son died for the sins of mankind and that God raised Christ from the dead, giving life to those who have the FAITH to believe, and Christ was seated at the right hand of God the Father. That in itself is worth facing any perils that I, a Christian might have to face, for it is worth it all. I already see the writing on the wall for the Christian, as our rights are being taken away, and persecution taking its place.

How does this passage reassure us? In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

We who run the race to the end, will have life everlasting with our God, with our Bridegroom, and with each other - that is reassuring to me. :)

Q? What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to?

Ans: Death and persecutions

Q?What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today?

Ans: death and persecutions.

Q? How does this passage reassure us?

Ans: God love us so much that nothing can separate us from His love. We can conquer anything in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Q? In what sense do we Christians "overwhelmingly conquer" (NASB) despite the obstacles we face?

Ans: This world is covered with sin that walking with Chirst means we have to face obstacles through persecutions and even death. But God love us so much that through Jesus Christ, we can conquer anything that blocks our way. Christ have conquered sin and death on the cross. We have conquered sin and death through Christ Jesus our Lord.

The kinds of perils that early christians were exposed to were physical persecution such as thrown to lions or burned at a stake.

The kinds of perils christians are exposed to today in this country is mostly ridicule, sometimes sued in a court of law, loss of friendships. But in some countries they face more severe persecution such as being jailed,loss of family, loss of job and some even being put to death.

This passage reassures us that no matter what we face we are more than conquerors and nothing will separate us from His love!

We christians overwhelmingly conquer despite the obstacles we face because no matter what the obstacle anywhere from ridicule even to death, is not a defeat but a victory for us and the church of our Lord Jesus Christ because it testifies to the one who loves us , strengthens us, and is always with us,no matter what we are facing even unto death.

The early Roman Christians were persicuted dreadfully, eaten by lions, crusified, burned to death and many other dreadful things.

Today, some Christians are imprisoned for their faith, some have been shot and murdered in other ways. Many are not allowed to hold public services and have to worship in cellars in secret. In England we are very fortunate to be able to worship freely, even in the market place.

This passage is very reassuring because no matter what happens to our physical body, we know we will spend eternity with Jesus. How wonderful to stand before the throne of God, awaiting acusations to be thrown at us, and there is a heavenly silence instead. Like Jesus said to the woman caught in the act of adultery, "Where are your accusers? does no one accuse you?" and the woman answered "No one sir!" He replied, "Nor do I. Go in peace".

We have victory in Christ, because He gives us the victory, praise Him.

Bless you.

Love from Greta

Death by such means as fire,lions and other such tortures.

Today some our murdered and tortured. In the USA they are ridiculed and some are trying to take our rights away as Christians. They are trying to silence us through court actions and legislation. We have a lot od religious freedoms at this time but I believe this will change. Persecution will increase as the time of Christ Jesus return draws closer. We are in the end times.

We have the victory in Christ which can not be taken from us. Our eternal salvation is guaranteed. He is for us therefore who can be against us.

Q4. (Romans 8:35-36) What kinds of perils were the early Roman Christians likely exposed to? I can not even imagine. I did see a movie somewhere in my past that was just horrible and since have been asking often that should this kind of day arrive for me that He will continue to strengthen me before that day arrives. To deny Him would also cause us to deny our inheritance of glorifying Him. I could not bare that.

What kinds of perils are Christians exposed to today? Lies from the enemy, getting cut off from folks that used to spend lots of time conversing with me who now cut me off because they know I might say something they don

The early Roman Christians were likely exposed to threat of injury, dismemberment, or death, loss of their home and threats to their family. Today's Christians are likely exposed to the same depending on where they live. I praise God that I live in the United States where I can openly worship Him, congregate with other Christians, and publicly voice my faith. Each time the govenment tries to pass a law that places limits on those rights, we see an overwhelming response from believers, and we know that only a portion of them are speaking up. We lose some, we win some. Our ability to overwhelmingly conquer will be in getting all believers to speak up for Christ, to draw others to Him, to spread the Word of His Love.

• 1 month later...

Early Roman Christians could be executed by whatever form of torture titillated the Roman governor of the day.

Today the dangers are more subtle - harassment by popular thinking, peer pressure and the current culture of ideas that infiltrate even the church and draw people away from the true worship of God in Spirit and in Truth. Insidious cynicism is one of the great dangers as it pressurises people into unbelief. In our culture the party idea takes over, and even Christians submit to it more than the values of faith, modesty, family (both Christian and natural) and loyalty. If you are not a party animal you don't rate, even in the churches. This is a terrible indictment of modern Christianity, and a great danger, as many feel rejected from the church community on this basis. Everything is about popularism, not about love.

This passage provides personal certainty that God sees us with eyes of love that nothing can deflect from us. It is wonderful and greatly to be trusted.

When our eyes are as certainly directed at God, as His are to us, then a bond is forged that is indissoluble, and nothing this world throws at us can shatter our peace. We are simply here, but not tied down to this place and what is considered success here. We are able to love it as does our Father, but not be controlled by it. Instead we are controlled by Truth, Love and Hope in the perfect tense! This is a miracle that conquers the world!