JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Fancy Clothing

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 Timothy 2:9-10) How did women dressing in fancy clothes threaten to compromise the church's witness in Ephesus? How do we apply the principle of Paul's directive in twenty-first century churches without instituting a new legalism?

They were dressing so as to bring attention to themselves.

This is a hard thing. Where I live, it is all about what you're worth, or are you trying to catch a mate. To me, if you want to show Jesus to other people at church, You should dress modestly, but with taste. Afterall, there may be people in the church that are not as well off financially as I am, and they might not feel welcome for whatever reason. Today, we have rich people who go to church with rich people, and we don't think about the fact that we will all stand before God, and He won't care if we were rich or poor. He won't care about our skin color, or what country we lived in. He looks at the heart.

Q4. (1 Timothy 2:9-10) How did women dressing in fancy clothes threaten to compromise the church's witness in Ephesus?

Maybe the women were more concerned with their clothing and how they looked rather than what their inward appearance portrayed. It is by our hearts that we are judged by God and by man.

O yeah, we might be extremely attractive, for example, look back for a minute at the striking beauty of Princess Diana. She was a most beautiful women and yet the Prince yearned for the love of another women who is not considered to be favored at all in the looks department. This is what has been portrayed in public. But what did the heart of the Prince see in the other women? His attentions were not drawn to the beauty of Diana and her heart grew weak for the lack of his love. Women who claim to be devoted to God should make themselves attractive by the good things they do. To me, the efforts that Diana made towards showing compassion to hurting and aides children were of the utmost beauty in my opinion. Beautiful, yet only God knows where her heart stood and we judge not.

How do we apply the principle of Paul's directive in twenty-first century churches without instituting a new legalism?

Judge not and be judged not. Matthew 7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? We must all keep our eyes focused on the finish line so that we may finish well, lest we don

It is important that we dress appropriately for the church we attend. When in Rome....

It should also be kept in mind that temple prostitution was common in the culture and time so Paul is giving a warning to not go down that road.

The important thing to keep in mind is that God judges our hearts, not our wardrobes, however we do have a calling to present ourselves in an appropriate manner so others will receive the gospel from us. If I dress in a 3 piece suit and go to the inner city, I stand out like a sore thumb and will not get a very warm reception. If I go to a suburban church and dress in blue jeans I will not likely make a favorable impression. We need to be like Paul and be all things to all people.

I think it is also important to dress modestly so as not to incite ****. There are men and women attending many churches who dress in a manner that is intended to draw the eye in a way that God would not approve of.

Q4. (1 Timothy 2:9-10) How did women dressing in fancy clothes threaten to compromise the church's witness in Ephesus? How do we apply the principle of Paul's directive in twenty-first century churches without instituting a new legalism?

Q4. (1 Timothy 2:9-10) How did women dressing in fancy clothes threaten to compromise the church's witness in Ephesus?

Even today the question remains, what makes the Christian different from the rest of the world? Women (and men, for that matter) aren't to dress primarily to draw attention to themselves, but are to dress in a way that projects propriety and decency. Once again in order to consider others, i.e. where there are great differences in worldly status (wealth, position, etc.) among members of the same church, it is necessary to think twice before doing certain things

Women were threatening to compromise the church by dressing in such a way as to draw attention to themselves. It would also widen the gulf between the rich & poor.

Without imposing legalism we suggest that women dress appropriately, decently, with the thought in mind of NOT drawing attention to themselves--rather let their good deeds be seen!

I believe that it might have been as pastor stated causing a riff between the wealthy and poor because of the jewelry. I also think that it might have been related to the temple prostitutes and Paul trying to get the church to set a higher standard. A woman dressed to draw the attention of men is not the way a woman should be dressed for church. How can you witness for Christ when the person you are ministering to is looking at your chest or other part of the body. How do we apply this today is the same as then we our own sense of value. I often see women and sometime their children dressed in my more for the street than church they may not think about but there are always some men looking where they should not be. I believe that this is something that only the individuals can change as they seek a higher calling from their God.

Our outward appearance is a reflection of our inward being. The women who were dressing as those of the world, outwardly it appeares as if self was still in control. To me it isn't the clothing in itself, but, the prupose for why they were dressing like that.

How do we apply the principle of Paul's directive in twenty-first century churches without instituting a new legalism?

When I was first saved, the church taught me a legalistic form of holiness, to be holy, you are not to wear jewelry, wear make up, etc. - As I grew up in the Lord, I saw holiness in a different light; God's desire for me, is for me to put on the garment of righteousness, the garment Christ gave me to put on, let this be my adornment. :unsure:

I think women were drawing attention to themselves through those make ups.

All women would remember that beauty begins on the inside a gentle, modest, loving character gives a light to take face that can not be duplicated by even the best cosmetic. A carefully groomed and well-decorated exterior is artificial and cold unless inner beauty is present. The general rule for both women and men emphasizes that both behavior and dress must express submission and respect to Jesus Christ.

Women that were more concerned about how they looked rather than worrying about worshiping the Lord threatened the church, because their dressing habits also distracted other people from worshiping the correct way.

We can dress sensible when we go to church, not overly dressing, underly dressing or wearing to much makeup. When people are paying more attention to a woman rather than the preacher because of the way a person is dressed, it is wrong. That is not what the Lord wants. He wants you to come to church to worship him, not someone else.

Let me start off by saying that I like how you worded this.

I think anything that takes the focus off of God and puts it on our surroundings is not a good thing. There should be no distractions when we are in the house of the Lord. \ We are and should be set apart. People should be able to look at us and know that we belong to Christ. I'm not saying dresses down to our ankles no make up or anything but Christian women should dress modestly.

Charlene1956

Answer to question1

1. Because it is the desire of God that all be saved, God saved us so that we an save others too. That is the purpose of our creation.

2. They were racists they lack the natural love of God, they were self centered instead of preaching the GOSPEL to the whole world as commanded by our Lord Jesus Christ

Answer to question 2

1. To show that Jesus Christ completed a perfect work of our redemption,

2. by bridging the gap between us and God and then offered himself as a sacrifice

Answer to question 3

1. just like today church the men were not in agreement in the spirit but in the physical they lift up hands unto God , there was not unity of purpose but purely doctrine, bitterness was the order of the day

2. It is a waste of time because God will not accept it.

Answer to question 4

1. Women in those days dressed to draw attention to them selves rather than to the glory of God, it was also classifying women into the rich and the poor thereby coursing divisions in the church.

2. clothing should not be an outward thing, women should dress moderately and season their services unto God, dressing could also vary according to the culture of the people but it should be to the glory of God and not to show off

Answer to question 5

1. Women should be lead to lead or not to lead

2. the Bible tell me that those who are lead by the spirit are the sons of God, God

"all things are lawful for me; but not all things are useful.." 1 cor 6:12

there are 2 ways to look at this :-

a) dressing up for church to honor God, and each other - which would suggest modesty & good taste without causing undue offense and division.

B) dressing up for church to show-off the lastest wardrobe acquisition & or to seduce.

it is clear that church leadership need to set the pace & to educate the people in what is appropriate and proper; even more - in what is "useful" as we are indeed the light and salt of this world.

pre-believers do not read the bible or know jesus; but they do read us christians everyday - what we do, say, how we conduct ourselves, the way we dress, spend our time & money; all speak volumes to a lost and dying world.

amen...

Paul was trying to make the point that when going to church we are all going there to worship and praise the Lord. It is not appropriate to dress to show off one's wealth or station in life nor, to try to seek a potential mate. We should be neat and clean and focus on the Lord. Places of worship in our time have special events suitable for dressing up to the hilt; fundraisers, singles nights, etc.

Today I believe that Paul would address his letter to both men and women.

Womens attire in the churches in Ephesus was distracting from worship, most likely because of the motivation for excess adornment, to attract men or to show off status in society, both of which are out of place in church to say the least, as both detract from the purpose of church, to learn about and worship God.

It is possible to look clean, well groomed and dressed without being ostentatious or whorish. Doing so shows respect for self and for church. However, if a sufferer showed up at church ragged, unkempt, even dirty, but humbly desiring to be close to God, such closeness would occur as God is concerned with the inward person above all.

--I read a quote somewhere that said "be a witness at all times and if need be use your mouth". If we are living the life of Christ we are living a life based on decisions/beliefs. Our beliefs will determine how we speak, how we walk and how we dress. What's important about that is people see us as we are. If we are dressed inappropriately it sends the message- LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone of us should be sending the message to the world -LOOK AT JESUS!!!!!!!!!!! Christian women, who ought not be as women of the world are, have to lead by example in every way even down to the way they dress.

--How do we apply the principle of Paul's directive in the 21st century churches w/o instituting a new legalism?

Sound doctrine is vital. We must apply principles by adhering to them ourselves. Jesus only did what God told Him to do and He only said what God told Him to say. In other words He lead by example. Jesus was as effective as He was because of this life style. In teaching sound doctrine, people will learn the Fruit of the Spirit. Against these there is no law, according to the scripture.

Keep God First-

Woman wearing fancy clothes could threaten to compromise the church it is because of some reasons, can destruct to other during service, some could say some comment causing them to sin,

I think as a Christian we have to wear modestly. be presentable because we are to fellowship with our King. it is true God is not looking in outside appearance but in the heart, What Paul want is either you are poor or rich dress modestly. meaning clean. because we are representing God.

I believe that what Paul is saying here is that if a woman dresses herself in an unbecoming manner outsiders could perceive her to be of an unsavory personality. there were obviously women in Ephesus who were trying to attract the men by wearing revealing clothing.These women were more than likely members of occult sects or simply prostitutes.

The lesson we can learn from this situation is that sometimes what one wears exposes what you feel or aspire to. When we look around us today prostitution is rife and these ladies and even men dress to expose what they believe is attractive to others. I urge all women to dress in a manner befitting to their hearts.( May I add praise the lord for all our "EVES" without them we would not cope)

Wearing fancy clothes and drawing attention to themselves gave the wrong impression to people in (or visitting) the church in Ephesus. It caused people to look at these women questionably instead of accepting them for who they were, children of God. They also took people's attention away from the preacher.

In 21st centuary, we tend not to tell people what to wear, but to show by example by dressing modestly. It is important to be clean and tidy and not to have our skirts too short or our necklines too low.

God bless,

Love Greta

:wub:

It sounds like they were overdoing it, dressing over the top, and immodestly...drawing undue attention to the outward appearance, (as the men were doing with the prideful jockeying for position due to false teaching), rather than the inner development of the character of Christ. I've read that the things Paul mentions in their dress was a reference to not dressing like the prostitutes, who wore the gold, pearls, and braided hair.

All things in balance, with modesty. (Over the top, extravagant dress may be meant to draw attention to the wearer, the result of pride and wanting to flaunt wealth.) This emphasizes "class" differences, and can cause those with less, to feel like outcasts. In Christ there is no male nor female, no "class" distinction...we're all one in Him, equal in value. Legalism is at one end of the spectrum and Lawlessness is at the other. We want neither in the church. Both show the absense of the Holy Spirit.

On occasion I've cringed when women come to church with too much skin exposed, too much cleavage bared, too tight or too short skirts or dresses, and the men try not to ogle. This would apply for Christian women to observe outside of church as well. If the Holy Spirit is our guide, He will lead in how we dress, so as to not "stumble" others or to demean the Name of Jesus.

We recently visited a church in another city, and I felt embarrassed as the females on the worship team gyrated in skin tight pants, bellies bared, up on the stage. It was impossible to worship. Too distracting and made me wonder what was being taught there.

I agree with Pastor Wilson, that it's a cultural thing as well. I grew up in a church where it was mandatory for females "to cover their heads"...too young to wear hats, we pinned "doily" things on top of our heads...very silly and distracting, as it was no longer appropriate in our culture. Paul addressed that because prostitutes flaunted their hair, and godly women in that day, covered theirs.I know of a modern church that "split" over the issue of covering their heads....the ones that stayed were referred to as the "mad hatters".Silly, but true.

the way they dressed was dividing the church by social class. in todays church we can lead by example and gently steer those around us to dress modestly without pomp and circumstance

Q4. (1Timothy 2:9-10)

How did women dressing in fancy clothes threaten to compromise the church's witness in Ephesus? How do we apply the principle of Paul's directive in twenty-first century churches without instituting a new legalism?

In the church at that time there were women who were very poor and even slaves. They could not afford lavish and expensive dress styles. Those who dressed excessively would have caused divisions in the church. I think that a proper dress code for all is a mark of respect for our Lord. I imagine extremes must be carefully avoided and we should all dress according to norms of decency. Our external garments are not that important; we should rather radiate the fruit of the Spirit.