JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Formal accusations & trials are necessary to bring about justice in the church.

Temptations to compromise or to not go along with it were due to the importance the people put on the person, needing his money or his name or position in public, instead of trusting God to supply & let justice be served.

It's difficult today for the same reasons. They don't see that if it is handled correctly it may lead the sinner to repentance. It also serves as a sign to other false teachers that they cannot get away with false teaching. It keeps the church pure.

Q3. (1 Timothy 5:19-21) Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers?

So that things were done decently and in order...to bring justice, and to protect elders from gossip or unfounded accusations. The Word of God says there must be at least 2 or 3 witnesses, and publicly if there is no repentence, they are to be given a consequence as seems fitting for their actions of ungodly living or false teaching. These were teachers....living Epistles... who were setting a bad example and teaching harmful doctrine. They had to be disciplined and stopped rather than allowing them to "ferment" the whole church with incorrect teaching.

Why were the temptations to compromise and not go through with it so great?

They were usually close to the Pastor and other church leaders, and human nature is such that we don't want to rock the boat, or call someone out. They may have been wealthy contributers to the church, and loss of funds might result, or they may have been influential, and walked away with some of the church who were listening to their false teaching. They may have been bold and charismatic personalities who were difficult to confront.

Why is it so difficult to exercise church discipline today?

I think it's worse today. People don't want to be held accountable for their actions. We live in a blaming society, where our actions can always be blamed on someone else. Many churches preach such a watered down Gospel that sin is no longer mentioned. We're a tumbleweed society...if we're offended in one place, we just go on down the road to another, blame the previous place and settle in... The church often behaves as the world does....bowing down to political correctness, and so it goes on without being confronted.

Q3. (1 Timothy 5:19-21) Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers? Why were the temptations to compromise and not go through with it so great? Why is it so difficult to exercise church discipline today?

We just can't stand before someone amd make accusations-we need to have proof. And if the "offending party" is willing to repent, then there is no need to involve anyone else. But, if the offending party will not listen and admit wrong-doing, then it is necessary to involve the congregation, thereby teaching all that the offence won't be tolerated.

It is difficult to do this because no one wants to step on toes, specially if the offender is in an office or wealthy. The wealthy tend to threaten to withdraw their money/contributions. Office holders tend to threaten legal action. I have seen both, and it is not pleasant! ;)

[/color]Q3. (1 Timothy 5:19-21) Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers? Why were the temptations to compromise and not go through with it so great?

Because prejudiced persons will be ready to accuse without reason.

It is the interest of the church of Christ, that the reputation of its ministers be supported.

Members of the congregation do not understand why church discipline is to be exercised or how it is to be done in a responsible manner. They look upon church discipline as something unkind, not befitting a community which has experienced the love of Christ and which is to reflect that love in relationships with others. They think that to exercise church discipline means simply to "throw them out." "Don't we love them?" "Didn't Jesus forgive?" "Didn't He forgive the woman taken in adultery and pronounce absolution on the publican?" "Why do we act in such an unkindly way?" These kinds of responses to the responsible efforts of pastors and others to bring Law and Gospel to bear on the hearts of the Lord's people represent a complete misunderstanding of what church discipline is all about and why it is to be done. Pastors therefore do well before instituting any procedure of church discipline to use the pulpit, Bible classes, and other forums in order to present in a clear way the Scriptural and confessional principles regarding church discipline that are responsible and caring. When God's people are properly instructed they will not be turned off by the term Church discipline." They will come to see that when it is exercised rightly for the sake of the Gospel and for the salvation of the sheep of Christ, it is an act of Christian love. At times the highest act of love is to say, "Unless you repent, you will perish."

Q3. (1 Timothy 5:19-21)

Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers? This was necessary so that the wrong being taught in the church could be changed and God's true Word being taught. Otherwise, there would be a continuation of this wrong.

It can be difficult to carry out discipline knowing there could be reprecussons from those who are popular, weathly, etc. :( However, God requires us to stand up against wrong and wrong teachings irregardless of how difficult it may be.

There are many very involved reasons. Sometimes the judical procedure is very involved almost to the point of protecting the guilty (and yet we don't want one accused who is innocent). Often the accused is very popular or weathly (and money can have influence). Overall, it may take lots of effort and emotional energy and yet God requires us to strive to right what is wrong.

It was necesary so that others in office may not do what the person on 'trial' did. The tempatations were so great because many of the elders or people accused were friends. Sometimes its hard to discipline a person because you know them. When we know our friends have done wrong, we at times choose to ignore what they did to avoid the confrontation that would ensue if we brought it up. In my experience if you come from a small church, and someone in office did wrong, the word gets around but the person if they don't walk away will most likely keep office because who else would do it. We're too small to vote someone else in. Unless it had to do with money the person would stay and count the money but wouldn't be allowed to deposit it.

As long as the false teachers think they can get away with sinful living and still retain their leadership roles in the church, they'll continue in what they've been doing. Doing this through formal accusations for which you have proof is the way to handle such a situation. However, people are often tempted to compromise because they don

It was necessary to try false teachers because those who did wrong were to be rebuked publicly so others would take notice. the temptations to compremise were because the person was rich or he was a very influential person, and that is also why it is hard to exercise church discipline in todays church. Justice is important to God and must be exercised in the church.

Q3. (1 Timothy 5:19-21) Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers? Why were the temptations to compromise and not go through with it so great? Why is it so difficult to exercise church discipline today?

If it is not a formal accusation with witnesses it amounts to gossip which the person can never defend himself against or the church protected from a "false teacher". Nothing is done and no one knows what is what. Is it true or false.

Don't we just love to "sweep things under the carpet" to spare expense, time and pain. It's just a little thing it won't matter.

Today it seems to be politically incorrect to discipline even in love. Besides it seems that there are hierarchies in churchs and those seem to be the correct views whether they are correct or not.

In one church I was in someone suggested church discipline and I cringed. This person was a mean person. Kind of like someone with a uniform who thinks they are important because of that uniform and abuses their little power just because they have it. I think that sets a bad example for church discipline.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q3. (1Timothy 5:19-21)

Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers?

False teachers should be publicly rebuked because of the harm they do to the testimony of the church. This action impresses all believers with the seriousness of sin and should serve as a strong deterrent in the lives of others. Because of their position of responsibility in the church, elders often become a special target of Satan. For this reason the Spirit of God takes steps to guard them against false accusations. We have to be careful that no disciplinary action is taken unless the charge can be corroborated by the testimony of two or three witnesses. In dealing with these matters of discipline in the local church, there are two dangers to be avoided. The first is prejudice, and the other is partiality. It is easy to be unfavourably prejudiced or show partiality because of wealth, status, or personality. I would think there can be the temptation to compromise, because of the complexities sometimes involved, and also perhaps the perceived harm or loss of church membership that it can cause. Sometimes I get the feeling that some churches are very cliquey and there is an

Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers?

I think you want to "try" false teachers in part to make it clear what they did wrong. It's easy for people to look at a situation and draw their own conclusions. I have a guy at work who tonight ranted about a verbal warning he got from the boss and the main issue was he didn't know what the warning was for. So when he rants to me, I have the opportunity to form my own conclusions about what he didn't do right. Though in this case it wouldn't be appropriate, if my co-worker were to go through a public trial, it would be clear what the wrong thing was.

In this case, Paul is talking about false teachers. I think that clarity is necessary for this church. If they have believed what the false teachers have been saying, then they need to know that the false teachings would not be tolerated and what the Word actually does say. Also a public trial makes it more difficult (not impossible) for rumors to start and to spread.

Why were the temptations to compromise and not go through with it so great? and Why is it so difficult to exercise church discipline today?

I don't think anybody likes confrontation. There's the fear of what the other person is going to do (will they fly off the handle), the repurcussions (will they retaliate), and a fear that you might be wrong (in my experience people a lot of times have a good explanation for why they do the things they do and when you hear it you sometimes feel foolish). Besides that, it's just uncomfortable. It's not a conversation that's fun for anyone. Then there's the practical side of things. These are the elders, the people who have the most influence in the church and most likely the people who are making the church go. They contribute financially, they give their time. If it comes to ahving to remove them, how do you fill their places.

I lost a lot of respect for a former pastor of mine who knew that our worship leader was sleeping with his fiance and refused to remove him from that position. His argument was we need to have music on Sunday mornings and he's the only person that is willing to do it. That is a major conundrum. In this case it was a struggling church plant that wanted to emphasize that area of worship. I'm not a whole lot better. What prompted that discussion was a conversation I had with the worship leader where he said something (I forgot what) and I didn't ask him if that's what was happening. For me it came down to it's hard having that conversation.

In order to keep the church in obedient to Gods word it is necessary to make formal accusations where the word is being distorted.

Sometimes we tend to put people on pedestals and in categories of importance, then using these, we would make our decisions as to how severely we judge them Often we do nothing in fear of reprisal.

I think that today the church has become to laid back in its approach to rebuking and correcting those in leadership because of the lack of discipline. We are often just don

It was important beecause the were causing the church to be in sin teaching untruths and leading people away from God and not to Him. They were causing bickering which leads to splitting of churches. The idea of rebucking an elder is not an easy one to listen to or carry out We have a tendecy to be ledient to our leaders getting close to them and treating them as fathers and so we more often feel the need tolet things slide. Even today we know what God's word says but it is still hard to correct an elder or pastor who is teaching in error. We often allow splits in churches just for the need tohear what we want to hear and not always the truth.

It is necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers because by it we will stop them in what they

There is often much discussion about "unqualified elders" in the Church. How much do we hear however about unqualified preachers and false teachers? Although their qualifications are not as precisely defined in a "list of qualifications" like that of elders, preachers however need to be appointed; .Even the apostles, far as they tower above ordinary Christians, and infallible as they are in giving all the instruction necessary to salvation, never during their earthly life claimed sinless perfection of character, but felt themselves oppressed with manifold infirmities, and in constant need of forgiveness and purification. These facts show how needful discipline is, both for the church herself and for the offenders.

Pax

It was necessary to make formal accusations because their work was not done well, so disciplinary action was t obe taken against them. There were temptations to compromise and not go through it because the rebuke was to be open before the congregration, this was to be done as a warning to the rest, not to go the same way. This was a difficult exerice because it was embrassing to be found is such a situation.

These days there is alot of compromise because most people are not out to work for God, but are working for themselves, hence no one to discipline them.

A formal accusation and trial give both the accused and accusers a chance to have their say. What ever the decision it would be made public and have to be abided by, unless of course the 'false teacher' confessed and repented.

The temptations to overlook and not go through with it would be great because we don't like to accuse anyone just in case we are wrong and it could be like stirring up a hornet's nest. They may have been false teachers, but they must have been in high authority at that time, - people with a lot of influense and probably wealth.

I think it might be difficult to discipline those in authority in today's church, for people would fear that the church would be split, or even dissapear altogether.

:o

If they are not tried, they will continue to live in sin and still be a leader. They will think they have gotten away with their life style and still continue in it. Because spme may be rich and have a great influence. Public church discipline is seldom used. The sinner repents sincerely from the heart and takes the punishment that is given. Other elders are not to cover the sins of another. All will stand in the presence of God one day and answer for their actions.

Q3. (1 Timothy 5:19-21) Why was it necessary to make formal accusations and "try" the false teachers?

So that the church does not give heed to seducing spirits. The responsibility Timothy had for a young man was great, for it is God the Father he is going to account to for the way the church is run. Yes, false teachers must not be allowed to lead the flock astray.

First, great trials and persecution was coming against the church. Timothy's age could have been a deterrent, politics and wealthy people could have been a deterrent to Timothy - but, I believe Timothy understood what the cost would be if he did not follow God's direction and his need to be bold for God.

Paul had already set an example of following God, Paul would do what ever it took to be obedient to God, even if it cost him his life. Timothy had this same love for God, and for Christ, and the message of the cross. He understood how serious it is to be a follower of Christ, and more important, to be a leader in the church. The more responsibility God gives to a person, the more He demands from that person.

It becomes difficult to exercise church discipline, if one takes their heart and mind off of the fact, it is God they have to account to. Many in the church have lost their "fear" of God, and have taken the work of the cross too lightly. Many church's today have become big business, and that could be a deterrent to church leaders, not to exercise discipline when needed. <_<

It was necessary to make formal accusations so that others could be warned and be made aware that action would be taken. It was tempting to not follow through with discipline because of wealthy or influential elders. It is difficult to exercise church discipline today because there are very few who will hold someone accountable. I also believe discipline is contingent upon the sin. Many wrongs of leaders in the church are overlooked. There is no sin today in society. Everything is acceptable, and I believe that mindset is starting to infiltrate many of today's churches.

So that the others may take warning. Partiality and favoritism will cause a lack of discipline where it sorely need to be exercised. It is so difficult to day to exercise church discipline as to what I see , their is more partiality perferring one before another and not placing the false teachers responsiable for their lack of teaching and spreading God's Truth and the True Gospel of Jesus Christ.

So that the others may take warning and realize this behavior won't be tolerated.

Because these people are elders and older than Timothy.

They fear it would divide the church or bring the accuser under the churches wrath. Fear of retaliation.

It is necessary to make formal accusations and to "try" false teachers in order to warn others in the church that the teaching of false doctrine will not be tolerated.

The temptation to compromise and not go through with it is so great because often we want to overlook a member who does wrong, especially if they are a great contributer to the church.

It is difficult to exercise church disipline today because we want to avoid controversary and division among church members.