JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no respect of persons--no matter race or color or station in life--all are equal in God's sight.

There were still slaves during that time. I consider myself a slave (in other words) to my employer. The respect I show my employer should reflect my relationship with Christ, whether or not my employer is a fellow believer.

Paul's motive is that we are witnesses of Christ wherever we are--whatever we are doing we need to act live His slaves!!

Q5. (1 Timothy 6:1-2) In what ways has the Gospel sown the seeds that will eventually destroy slavery?

Jesus died to set men/women free from all bondage, and in Him we are all equal and one.

Why does Paul seem to condone slavery in this passage?

He gives guidelines for slaves behavior. It appears, taken by itself, to condone slavery, but in context, he is promoting unity. Just as we are exhorted in Rom. 13 to pray for those in authority (whether evil or good) that "It may go well with us"..

What is Paul's motive?

Paul's motive as shown throughout his letter to Timothy is to bring order to the church. Giving guidelines for slaves who at that time were still enslaved, was to bring order and Christian character to the forefront of their lives...until they could be legally, physically set free. The believers who were slaves, were already bondslaves of Jesus Christ and therefore "whom He sets free is free indeed".

Q5. (1 Timothy 6:1-2) In what ways has the Gospel sown the seeds that will eventually destroy slavery? Why does Paul seem to condone slavery in this passage? What is Paul's motive?

If we are saved, then we are brothers and sisters! Huge family! Think about it-family! We need to take care of each other, no matter what station we have in this life. We need to do the very best job we can in order to bring glory and honor to our Father.

Paul does not condone slavery-he just shows that the Word makes provision for slaves. Slaves, like the rest of us, have to conduct their lives in a Godly manner, and our Lord makes it clear that this is the case, no matter who we are, or where we come from. In the end, we will all be blessed, more so than now, and we will all be together in the same place. Like I said-one big family! Gloray!

We are all one in God's sight. It doesn't seem to me that he condones slavery, but that he make it clear to slaves to respect their masters. He is telling them to respect the person that is in charge of you (your boss). Paul's motive is to get everyone on the same page who are respresentatives of Christ. As slave, laymembers, elders or pastors we should respect who is in charge. If we have Christ in our life this should not be a hard task.

Q5. (1 Timothy 6:1-2) In what ways has the Gospel sown the seeds that will eventually destroy slavery? Why does Paul seem to condone slavery in this passage? What is Paul's motive?

In the time of Paul there were many slaves. Many of the first Christians were slaves. Paul teaches them how they should serve the *Lord and their masters.

Not all Christian slaves had masters who believed in the *Lord. But those who did were not to respect them any less because of that. Rather, these slaves should respect their masters more because they serve the same *Lord. Paul did not agreed with this,

For Paul; Slaves where equal persons in the family of God and in the church.

Pax

Christianity frees persons from sinful slavery or bondage, but not from civil servitude and subjection. Religion does not level persons, but allows of an inequality amongst men, superiors and inferiors; and as it gives the former a power to command, so it lays the latter under an obligation to obey.

In Paul

It says in the gospel were all equal men, women, salve, or free person. Paul is condoning salvery in this passage so that Gods name and the teachings don't get slandered. I feel Pauls motive here was to teach the slaves to be this way to show the non-christian masters God's truth, and teachings.

Q5. (1 Timothy 6:1-2)

In what ways has the Gospel sown the seeds that will eventually destroy slavery?

The gospel teaches we are all equal in God's sight and are all children of God. We need to love each other.

Why does Paul seem to condone slavery in this passage?

Paul does not actually condone slavery but encourages slaves to act in a Christian way--a manner that will further Christianity.

What is Paul's motive?

Paul's motive is to further Christianity by being a good example.

During Paul's time slavery was an accepted way of life. He was not condoning slavery rather than acknowledging that it was. He was encouraging Christian slaves that while in bondage in the flesh, they were free in the spirit. Likewise, Christian masters were to treat them as brethren, though slaves.

As Christianity spread so did the word of freedom. William Wiburforce and others began the end of slavery in the western world. Someday, all will be free.

When my church launched 9 years ago, my pastor did a sermon on freedom in Christ. Throught he Gospel we learn that we are free from the bondage of sin. That's what Christ's death on the cross gave us. And that means that we are free indeed. God doesn't put us in little categories, He sees us as the beings that He loves and He created.

I'm one of the whitest white girls ever, so I may not understand all the feelings that go with this passage. But I don't think that Paul is condoning slavery. It's a fact of life in the culture he lived in. I don't know to what extent people were thinking about the morality of slavery. If you're a smoker, I think you kind of have an awareness that it's inconsiderate, but you don't necessarily think that it's all out evil. It's a part of the society that you live in. If the morality of slavery was part of the societal conversation, I think that taking a position in this letter would have taken the focus away from what Paul was trying to get across.

I don't think there's a motive in not saying something. there are times that silence on a matter can be deafening, but this just isn't one of them.

By teaching Master and Slave that they are now brothers in Christ Jesus, and Jesus teaching that we are to serve others and not reguared our self above another. He isn't condoning but seeking to teach peace that will reward both the master and slave. He is trying to bring about unity in the Church and stop the false teachers and give Timothy strong encouragement on how the church should be run and the things he should be teaching.

In Christ we are all equal. Some here might be employers and some employees but we are all equal of the same respect in Christ.

I don't think Paul condones slavery but rather recognizes it as a part of the culture at that time. So he addresses the role the slave is to have to his or her master. The slave can do that through the knowledge of who he is in Christ and through the power of the Holy Spirit. This way some who do not know the Lord will be saved through the silent witness of respect and honor the slave shows the master.

H.A. Ironside also notes that in that time and place many slaves were better off in bondage to Christian masters than they would have been otherwise.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Hi all..

Paul's mission was for Christ..he was on a whirlwind tour sanctioned by Christ to bring

as many people to Him as possible..to dilute this message by getting hung up on whether

slavery was right or wrong could lead to a break down in the message..and leave an opening for the enemy.

By first and foremost showing others how to live in the Light is trusting God to take care of the ills the of the world. Think of

how the abortion issue distorts the world's view of Christians...Jesus first..God is Sovereign..

''This is the message we have heard from him and delare to you: God is light; in

him there is no darkness at all." 1John 1:5

All those who accept Christ as savior in their lives are truly set free,and even though in the times mentioned in the passages when slavery was accepted Paul urged believing masters to set their slaves free.As believers the masters would in time through conviction of the Holy Spirit release their slaves.However if one was a slave they should show respect to their masters especially those who were believers.This form of mutual respect would lead to ultimate freedom in the sense.

One just has to open your eyes today to realize that the idea of slavery still exists in our society.only in an unbranded form.There are even countries where the entire population could be classified as being enslaved.Then take a look at the cults and once again you will see those that are kept in spiritual bondage.

We as the collective church of Christ need to stand up and be counted that those in bonds might experience the freedom that God gives to all through the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Gospel shows us that all men are equal in the sight of God and although we should all serve one another in love, no man should be owned by another.

I don't think Paul actually condones slavery, but as it happens to be a fact of life at that time, he is showing how both the 'slave' and the 'master' should act towards one another.

I think Paul's motive for this is so they will both live in unity and peace, and also he is making it obvious that he is not making waves to abolish slavery.

:wub:

The seed has been sown because the word says we ALL are one in Christ Jesus. The slave were to live in a Christian way. I don't think Paul is codoning slavery. I think Paul is telling them to live their Christian life according to God's word. If they are disobedient, that would be a slander against God. The evil ones could say that they blasphemed against God. Paul worked for the freedom of the slaves. His motive was to show that we all are God's children, there is no respecter of person. We all are the same in God's eyes.

respect to those who are saved and those who are not. We are under someone and we serve them as in the way a slave serves his master. Shows us how to treat each other and those who don't know the Lord. We need to be an example to them.

We are all one in Christ Jesus. The bondage of slaves to sin has been broken, and Christ Jesus has set us free, those who are christian slaves, Consider their masters worthy of full respect to that God's name, and our teaching may not be slandered, Paul encourages slaves to get their freedom.

The bible tells us we are all one in Christ Jesus.

Because he talks about how slaves should act.

The message is so that God would be glorified in our actions no matter what our status is.