JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 weeks later...

There have been periods of time when I have had lapses in the use of a spiritual gift or ministry. The load gets so heavy, the opposition wears me down, overwhelm or distractions come, faith falters, apathy sets in. My advice to anyone else would be what I need myself. First we need to confess the condition we find ourselves in. and ask the LORD for a fresh start. We need to evaluate what has become the center of our focus - problems and self, or the face of our Solution? If the life seems to have gone out of something that had been productive but now feels empty, maybe we need to wait on the LORD for a season to discern if He is changing direction. Spend that time developing a thankful attitude that He still has great purpose for our lives. Praise Him for the work He is preparing. It may take some time, but if we are seeking Him, He will give wisdom and renewed energy.

There are other practical steps to take in the meantime. Stay in the Word. Maintain an honest prayer life. Ask others to pray for you. Seek the counsel of a trusted, godly friend who will tell you the truth about some problem you might be overlooking in yourself. And don't sit down; make effort to look for ministry opportunities. It's just amazing how one small step can often end up leading to great things! I don't believe God will ever ignore the sincere heart that is making every effort to serve Him for His glory.

The primary gifting of God to a saved believer is the Holy Spirit. Stirring up that fire in my spirit would be the most important effort of all, because He is the power and love and strength for self-discipline - enabling us to choose courage. He is the One who presents the call to righteousness. He is the One who compels us to serve. And He is the One who who dispels our fears when we act in faith.

[quote name=Pastor Ralph' date='Feb 2 2009, 06:58 PM' post='42409]

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6) What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse? How can a gift or ministry be rekindled? What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

:rolleyes:

We need to constantly encourage each other as Christians as it can be so easy to let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse. To encourage each other, we need to remind each other that Christ died for us and we must be willing to suffer and to stand strong as we live the Christian life. We should never be ashamed of the Gospel. If we feel we are growing weak, we can pray, go to strong Christian people for encouragement and strive to live each day according to the Gospel by serving God and loving people in His name. As we do this, we may need to stand firm against those who try to make fun of us and we may need to suffer in other ways but we believe and know God is faithful and will see us through our trials if only we trust in Him. :rolleyes:

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6) What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse? How can a gift or ministry be rekindled? What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

I would duggest that they pray for a new annointing of the Holy Spirit and that they would recieve the strength to renew that gift and continue in their ministry. A gift may be rekindled by prayer and study seeking God with your whole heart and believing in the Spirit for strength. We might involve other who are in the same ministry for renewed drive and a stiring of the flame. We might only seek God and His undieing love for us to give us the desire to continue.

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6) What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse?

The scripture comes to mind that "God's gifts and calling are irrevokable", so they are not completely extinguished, which is comforting for the times this has happened in my life. I would urge others to pray and to ask God to stir the embers and fan the gift into flame again, and to ask the Lord to reveal the root of the lapse, as I've done in my own life.

How can a gift or ministry be rekindled?

I've experienced this several times where the gifts seem to be dormant. The Lord revealed the cause to me after prayer asking for help. I was in grief and disappointment over circumstances in my life and had reverted to the childhood thought patterns I had before I knew Him...It "felt" like He had "hung me out to dry" after I'd been obedient and things didn't turn out as I thought He said they would. I felt betrayed, and let that thinking "cloud" my relationship with the Lord, and the gifts seemed to have died.

When I had clarity, I asked Him to forgive my wrong thinking and to fill me with His Holy Spirit again. He spoke to me:"Dwell in Me and I will dwell in you. No branch can bear fruit of itself without abiding in (being vitally united to) the Vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you abide in Me." John 15:4I I was no longer "abiding in and drawing from" the Vine. "Apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

Several times it's been due to heavy attacks of Satan and I've needed to do spiritual warfare. Discouragement can cause this, and requires exhortation, as Paul was giving Timothy.

What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

Prayer, and in some cases, repentance. Perhaps fasting and spending alone time with the Lord for a period of time. If it's due to grief or illness, healing must occur. Perhaps talking with a Pastor or elder in the church might shed some light. I don't think there is one certain solution, because the causes may be many. Self will and apathy, or fear and timidity can be a cause, as Paul told Timothy.

One close to me experienced this, due to over commintment and lack of rest, resulting in burnout. It took a long recovery and much prayer for wisdom in taking on ministry responsibility. In this case, it took a long period of rest and down time to regain strength and health.

A dear friend experienced this, and the Lord showed her she was "doing" ministry out of guilt and obligation rather than at His leading and in His strength and He chose not to encourage her in this and let the ministry fail. This caused her to seek Him in what she gets involved in now, rather than believing that anything she's asked to do is the Lord's will for her.

Encourage, encourage, encourage. Ask them to think back to when they had discovered the Lord had given them this gift & how they felt then.

Encourage them to pray and lay everything on the line with God.

Encourage them to get into the Word again & ask God to lead them back to Him--to be fruitful for Him.

It may take a little time, but pray for God's healing & leading.

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6) What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse?

The agency of man himself is needful to keep the religion of the heart warm and glowing. However rich the gifts which God has bestowed upon us, they do not grow of their own accord, but need to be cultivated by our own personal care.

How can a gift or ministry be rekindled? What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

By daily prayer, and meditating on the things of God and putting into practice the use of the gifts, improving the spiritual abilities which God Has given us.

This is a hard question as one doesn't know what is behind the lapse. I think I might suggest they pray for the opportunity to use it again for the Lord's glory, for the Lord hears our prayers and never fails us in answering them. I'd want to understand more of what is going on in that person's life, what encouragement is needed to see them go forward, what fellowship is needed to build them up again. The power, love and sound mind probably need strengthening when a spirit of fear has gained a foothold. Probably some fasting and prayer is needed.

Perhaps there is a need for a whole renewal of relationship with the Lord if the use of the gift has been discouraged. People need to catch again the vision of what the Lord has placed them here to do. They may need the people beside them who know their gift, to introduce and encourage them again. In my case I need the framework and authority to use the gift God has given me. It has been lapsed for about three years because I have little occasion for it and no-one to encourage me. However, I do not live in isolation, and cannot use my gift in isolation, which is a problem with Western society these days.

I believe there is a fellowship needed which recognises and encourages the gift and its use. We need to strengthen each other, which is what Paul is trying to do, even from his prison cell. He knows the gift which is in Timothy, so he is trying to have him put it back in operation. I am sure the gift is still there, unless sin has entered the picture, but even so the gift is not usually taken away immediately. However a talent not used may become a talent lost, so it is important to get things rolling again. Paul is suffering from the loss of many because of his imprisonment, yet some have been staunch, like Onesiphorus, the ex-slave. There is a touch of desperation here as he tries to build Timothy into the monolithic man that Paul himself is. It is very difficult at a distance, and Paul is very aware of the need for some togetherness in this matter.

This is a difficult question. There have to be other questions asked. Does the person want the gifts or the world? Has the gift truly been imparted? Is the person committed to the fullness of the Lord or is satisfied with a mere taste? Grain or weed? Discern and respond as lead by the Holy Spirit.

When one does not use a gift for some time you might find that a rekindling is needed as well as renewed passion.Always remember these gifts are from our Lord and I believe that with prayer and submission to him the gift will be renewed so to speak.

We should ask ourselves why the lapse? sometimes it is because we are allowing other less important things to get in the way.I believe the Lord gives these gifts to those who He wants to use them to further His kingdom and that it should be taken as a blessing.Be careful not to neglect your blessings others lives may depend on them both literally and spiritually.

Never be afraid to step out in faith what the Lord gives us is to strengthen us and his church and we are all vital links in a chain.Let us always be open to receive and use the gifts we are given to lift up His Holy name.

Q1. (2 Timothy 1:6)

What advice would you give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse?

What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift?

I would remind the person, in love, that the Holy Spirit imparts spiritual gifts to every believer. We read this in various Scriptures, as well as in 1 Peter 4:10: Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms 1 Peter 4:10 (NIV). We must be careful that our real interests are in our commitment to Jesus Christ, and not to the world. Also we must not be looking for commendation from people but only from Jesus. Then again, it will also help if we remember that because of our salvation we must/will want to serve. We all have spiritual gifts and we must persevere in serving our Lord Jesus.

Spend time in the presence of God seeking as to whether or not He wants to rekindle the gift in and through you. Was this to be a permanent gift or one that He allowed you to have for a certain period of time and situation? If God so desires to rekindle the gift one must be willing to allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through them. It requires a full release of oneself to Him so that He might restore that which has lapsed.

I would join hands with the person, and pray for them. Then I would advise them to go back and have hands laid on them for prayer and confession. An important aspect of reclaiming our relationship with God is confession-whatever pulled us away from Him must be confessed and repented of. Then, ask God to replenish and renew the gift-trust us to treat it with respect this time, and help us carry out the intended purpose for the gift.

Spend time in the Word and prayer. Ask God for help and wait for His timing. I like Isaiah 40:31. People need encouragement and sometimes they need to know that it is enough just to get through the day when times are of great difficulty.

There was a song "What the world needs now is love sweet love, it's the only thing that there's just to little of." I think it can be applied to todays churchs. (that's us). What the church needs now is love sweet love, it's the only thing that there's just to little of."

Lots of nice answers so this is my little piece.

I just know that I am so grateful for the tender mecies from God in my life.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6 :24-26

Thanks to this question and pickledlily's reply (and others) I can see that I have allowed my speaking in tongues to drift off to the point where I use it only in private prayer whereas once it was very public. Ashamed? Not really but perhaps concerned that the new group I'm now with (having moved home) will not understand. Which ties in nicely with not declaring my Christianity in certain situations of which God's word so neatly convicted me yesterday so today I realise that, within the church, I am not showing/using/manifesting the gifts that God has given me. "Use it or lose it" is a popular saying in secular circles - I need to make sure that I'm remembering that.

My first thought at reading this question was, "if I knew that, then I could get out of this place I'm in now". My next thought was a memory of a professor I had in college who said "start". Everything starts with prayer and guiding of God. HOwever, at some point we have to do the active following things. For em personally, it's writing. I've allowed myself to get distracted from one of my true joys in life and the area that I've been using to serve my church. Part of the problem has been no need by the church, but when I take an honest look at myself, that shouldn't be an issue, I write in my free time whether they will be used for church or not.

For me, starting means making a plan and carrying it out. I have that I started several months ago that at the time I was really excited about. I need to find that play (a problem since my jump drive has been corrupted and the back up seems to have disappeared) and figure out where I am with it. Begin a rewrite and go from there. One or two days working on that will get me back into old habits.

In Timothy's case, I think he's worn down from spending time on administration and church politics. I see him as a guy that on Thursday night and Friday has to hurry through his sermon because the demands of the church has taken so much out of him. If his passion adn gifting is teaching, then he probably needs to go on a prayer retreat and spend a few days in the Word. I think a time of refreshining will do him a world of good. If evangelism is his gift, then I think he needs to find someplace new to hang out so he's with a different group of people that he can evangelize. He needs a new challenge.

The passion is always going to be there, it's just a matter of figuring out how to tap back into it.

I would have to remind them, the gift they have is from God, and the importance of the gift being used. I would encourage the person, and would pray about the situation.

The Holy Spirit rekindles that desire to be used of God. He will bring conviction to the heart, it is up to the person, do they have an ear to hear? :huh:

The responses to this question have been great. Since God gave the gift it is Him that we need to seek when we feel weary in the work He has called us to do. A verse that came to mind when our focus has shifted from the Lord to our circumstances or how we feel is found in Psalm 3:3 "But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head." He promises us that He will supply all our need. If we are weary and running on empty we need to lift our eyes to Him and allow Him to fill us up and renew our hearts.

The advice I would give to a person who has let use of a spiritual gift or ministry lapse is this. First, reminding him of the spiritual gift or ministry that God have given or entrusted to him and through which many people were blessed. Second, exhorting him not to neglect it but reignite it with giving him the reasons why he should do those. The reasons may be that the gift or ministry is a great thing and grace given only to a person that has a particular character quality, and was given through many prayers or laying the hands of a pastor or the body of elders

A gift or ministry can be rekindled in a way that starts exercising it again and may start from the embers that remain and leave all things that make the gift or ministry neglected.

Repenting and claiming forgiveness of our sins that cause neglecting the gift or ministry

To stir up the gift, with the desire to discover, develop, and deploy the specific spiritual gifts that God has given us should be like a fire blazing within us, and to be diligent about our work for God, and not to slacken our pace in this spiritual race. Making a conscious effort to exercise the gift for the common good of the body of Christ Jesus.

Remind him of his spiritual gifts God has given him, and that he has stopped using them for whatever reason.

To Seek God and pray for God to ignite that fire again. To rethink what those gifts are then to resume using them. He might need to get back to the word of God and his love for him.

I would encourage them to return to God with a sincere heart, seek his face, ask God to rekinkle their fire. It can be rekindled by prayer, faith, obedience and diligence. In reclaiming we would have to be willing to give ourselves completely to God. Be obedient in everything. We would have to make God first priorty.

The advice I would give to a person who has let use of a spirtual gift or ministry lapse would be to remind them God gave them their particular gift or ministry for a reason. I would encourage them to continue in it.

A gift or ministry can be rekindled by renewing our desire to use our gift or ministry for God's glory.

What might be involved in reclaiming use of such a gift would be to first repent and ask forgiveness for neglecting or failing to use the gift or ministry God has bestowed upon us. Next would be to look for oppurtunities where we can use our spiritual gift in ministry.

Rekindle the gift by reusing it. Ask God to bring him to the point of reclamation. Get around other believers that will encourage.

There have been periods of time when I have had lapses in the use of a spiritual gift or ministry. The load gets so heavy, the opposition wears me down, overwhelm or distractions come, faith falters, apathy sets in. My advice to anyone else would be what I need myself. First we need to confess the condition we find ourselves in. and ask the LORD for a fresh start. We need to evaluate what has become the center of our focus - problems and self, or the face of our Solution? If the life seems to have gone out of something that had been productive but now feels empty, maybe we need to wait on the LORD for a season to discern if He is changing direction. Spend that time developing a thankful attitude that He still has great purpose for our lives. Praise Him for the work He is preparing. It may take some time, but if we are seeking Him, He will give wisdom and renewed energy.

There are other practical steps to take in the meantime. Stay in the Word. Maintain an honest prayer life. Ask others to pray for you. Seek the counsel of a trusted, godly friend who will tell you the truth about some problem you might be overlooking in yourself. And don't sit down; make effort to look for ministry opportunities. It's just amazing how one small step can often end up leading to great things! I don't believe God will ever ignore the sincere heart that is making every effort to serve Him for His glory.

The primary gifting of God to a saved believer is the Holy Spirit. Stirring up that fire in my spirit would be the most important effort of all, because He is the power and love and strength for self-discipline - enabling us to choose courage. He is the One who presents the call to righteousness. He is the One who compels us to serve. And He is the One who who dispels our fears when we act in faith.

Thank you so much for such an honest and wise reply. How easy it is for me to overlook spiritual basics when my focus is more on service and less on the Solution. Theophila