JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Cowardice and Shame

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion? From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame? How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

• 3 weeks later...

As I age and mature, I have become a little bolder and more confident in identifying myself as a Christian. But there are certainly too many times when I haven't/don't take an appropriate stand. Fear of what other people will think or how I'll be treated have held me back. Sometimes I haven't felt that I knew enough or how to say the "right" thing. Feelings of insecurity because of my own lack of holy behavior silence me.

Verse 12 says that the antidote is knowing the One I have believed and confidently trusting in His ability and faithfulness to guard everything He has given me. When I recognize timidity or shame in myself, I need to remind myself of all that I know that I know that I know about my Savior. I must remember that there's no good thing of myself, but Christ in me is the power to overcome. He is able to lift me above my fears and failures. He has promised never to abandon me. He has begun a good work in me that He will complete. When I employ my faith in HIM instead of myself, then I can act with courage and dignity rather than cowardice or disgrace.

We at our church are in the midst of a situation right now that calls upon us as leaders to stand for what is right and make some decisions of a disciplinary nature. (My husband is senior pastor; we operate with a plurality of elders.)

There is a person in a volunteer leader position with our youth. She is a professional photographer, and recently put extremely inappropriate photos on her facebook page, where she is friends with many of our teens and preteens.

The choice she made to take the pictures -- not wise; the decision to post them -- very inappropriate. But the ones who came to us with this issue don't want their names used. And when there were other issues in the past with this leader's actions in other areas, no one wanted to 'do anything' because they didn't want to 'upset her' or 'hurt her.'

Sometimes God calls upon us to make difficult leadership decisions at the cost of friendships, or relationships in the church.

This is not quite the same as taking a stand in a non-Christian environment, but it is just as difficult sometimes to stand for what is truth and right, trusting on God to lead;

We're praying about the fallout from all this, and would appreciate any of you joining with us in this.

(There are a couple of other complications in this situation which I don't need to go into here -- just accept, if you will, the need for wisdom and pray accordingly!!)

Thanks

This is a difficult question. I imagine fear...or fear of losing my job--but most of all coming across as self-righteous.

I need to remember Who is in charge & know my belief is in the Ruler of the Universe. I need to get my eyes off myself & onto Jesus--really having a burden for & a heart for others.

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion? From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame? How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

I am not ashamed,but often at work I am probably cowardly because I don't speak out about Christ and what He means to me. When people us His name in vain I fail to speak out and just let it go to avoid confrontation. The Spirit of Christ guards what we intrust to Him. By praying to the Father for strength and allowing the Holy Spirit to work in our hearts.

I know people who do not believe that Jesus should be discussed everyday. Jesus is only for Sunday. On Sunday, I get the phrase "I don't want to hear it." At work (I work at a MickeyD's) Jesus can not be mentioned. Do not talk about religion at work. At first, the rules are intimidating-loss of job, or loosing friends or family, that sort of thing. But, put in the proper perspective, I have come to realize that my relationship with God is much more important than any job or family member. I don't want to throw away my relationship with God. So I ask Him to give me opportunities to witness, orteach, or whatever He wants me to do. And, in between these times, I try to live by example, though sometimes I fail. Mercy and forgiveness are priceless!

One situation is a school where I was working in a voluntary capacity with a child. Every book I borrowed from the library to read him was full of stuff I refused to communicate. I couldn't read them without changing the story as I went. The library was filthy. I mentioned it to a teacher, and she said that at least the children were reading them. I was furious. I didn't take it further, but I should have spoken out about the direction the books were leading. My own health took me out of that situation, but now that I'm better I should do something about it.

My two daughters have been angry at my faith and demanded that I keep quiet about it, especially in front of my grandsons. I have tried to be careful not to offend them, but more recently I have told them I am who I am and I'm not even going to try to be some figment of their imagination. One of them has discussed it with her new boyfriend, and decided that I am right and shouldn't be required to pretend to be something else. Largely because of the boyfriend's leading, I have become not only acceptable, but also worth exploring as I am. This is a tremendous breakthrough for which I praise my Lord and Saviour.

The antidote is fierce loyalty to the Christ who Died in our place, for our sins and reconciliation with God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He is our first loyalty, over and above family, friends, institutions and governments, and we should let nothing seduce us away from that.

I feel that it is good to sit down with Jesus and consider the price we might have to pay for our faith, and become determined to pay it, whatever it might be. that doesn't mean foolishly spouting all the time, because even Paul said, for example, that unbelieving husband scan be won without a word, and so can many others, just by the love that is our expression. However, truth needs to be spoken at times, and may cost. We should be ready.

We remind ourselves that Truth, and Truth alone is the way to freedom of heart and spirit, and stoutly refuse to accept the bondage of fear. To accept anything less than the Truth is pure cowardice. We are here to teach Truth, not to hide behind fear.

It happened when I was not fully committed to serve Christ, I could shy off from my old friends who knew my past life, I could not testify to them about Christ because I was a friend what they will think about me. I thank God for giving me courage I do not feel an shame again. I have to learned that love is the genuine principle of obedience, and ought to be that frame of spirit, that inward affection of mind, from whence all our services to God and our neighbour do proceed.

Also I have to learned that the ministers of the gospel are to take great care that they be always ready to suffer reproach for the gospel, but that they never be a reproach unto the gospel. Suffering for Christ will be sweet, if it be not imbittered by sinning against Christ.

I experienced cowardice and shame whem I first came to the Lord. I attribute this to my lack of knowledge, uncertainty and fear of the unknown in terms of a response to my witness. This has all faded away over the years as I grew in wisdom, understanding and knowledge all of which are guided and powered by the Holy Spirit.

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12)

Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion?

From testifying clearly about your faith?

According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame?

How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

While I was still a

I would have to say probably among family members. They know I am a Christian however I dislike confrontation and it has been an obstacle on occasion. Plus I don't feel good with words. Not an acceptable excuse. God takes our efforts and uses them in His own way.

Another time was on an airplane when I felt the Holy Spirit telling me to ask the man next to me if he knew the Lord. I waited a couple minutes and the opportunity was gone. I was reading a book on Abraham God's friend and a man was in the aisle with a Christian t shirt on. I always felt that the Lord had set up a good witness and I faltered. It's like you have that one opportunity and then they are gone forever from your sphere of influence.

The antedote is to recognize the eternal consequences for your own unwillingness to speak out when opportunity strikes or the Holy Spirit nudges and keep on praying. Our God does answer.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Hi all, Paul says in verse 8 "but join me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God."

So we know that suffering goes with the territory..and the "antidote for cowardice and shame'

is to 'Know whom I have believed." The more we know God the more we get to know His character

that is why it is so important to trust God in all situations and act if prompted by the Holy Spirit..

We do not have a spirit of timidity in us.. the Holy Spirit is our guide and Jesus covers us if we are

acting to bring His message to the world...God's love needs to show up in Christians and be spread around..

When I look back over my life as a Christian there have been many occasions when the chance has arisen to proclaim my love for our Lord and out of shame or cowardice I did not.When I ponder on these moments in my life I think perhaps at those times I was not engrossed in the word enough and was leaving myself exposed to temptations of the world and Satan.

I think that often as christians we tend to surround ourselves with others who believe,and become comfortable in our little nests.When we then venture out into the real world things are different and Satan is at work there and often our bubbles are burst and we don't know how to handle these situations.

We must remember as disciples for Christ this is the very world that he wants us to tell the good news to and not those who already know and live by it.Yes we should lift one another up and fellowship together but lets not forget what we were commissioned to do.As we go about doing Gods work He will strengthen us and give us boldness to to proclaim his name wherever we may find ourselves.

[quote name=Pastor Ralph' date='Feb 2 2009, 06:58 PM' post='42410]

:rolleyes: Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion? From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame? How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

The more mature I become as a Christian, the more I find the Holy Spirit giving me courage and strength to stand strong in sharing my faith. As a teenager when peer pressure was so strong, there were times when I found it very difficult to stand strong for Jesus because of fear of being "laughed at". How I wish I could relive those experiences now. Constant prayer, reading the Word and asking God's strength has helped me when courage is needed to identify myself as a follower of Jesus. We must know what we believe, able able to express it and share it with others and know that Jesus is able to guard what we have entrusted to Him for that day. :P

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion?

The biggest one which comes to mind was a few years after I became a Christian. I was driving to the grocery store and had to pass the home of a family whose son had just been arrested for murdering the parents and grandfather of his homosexual lover...both boys were arrested. As I drove by, the Holy Spirit said: "Stop and tell David's parents I love them"....I noticed a truck in front of the house and decided I could do it on the way home when they didn't have company. At the store, the folks there were all talking about it and how tragic and all. On the way home, the truck was gone, but there were 2 cars in front. I was too frightened to stop. Fearful and intimidated, I went home. I prayed fervently for the young mans parents and for he and his lovers salvation. Two weeks later, the Lord gave me another nudge. He said "Call them"....I found the number and called, identified myself, and that I am a Christian, and told the Mom that I'd been disobedient in not stopping to tell them the Lord loves them. I asked her to forgive me for being a coward and withholding the message. She started to cry, and said, "It would have been wonderful, but to tell you the truth, now that everyone has stopped coming, today is when I really needed to hear those words", then she thanked me for being His messenger. I learned a lot from that situation.

From testifying clearly about your faith? According to verse 12, what is the antidote for cowardice and shame?

I live on the "left coast" of Calif. where we're surrounded by God hating liberals who view Christians and the Bible as stupid and "totally out of touch". We've been called fascist b.....ds for voting for Prop.8 which was to amend the constitution to say that marriage is to be between one man and one woman. It can be intimidating, to say the least, to make my views known. But I do anyway, knowing that to be obedient to the Holy Spirit's leading may bring salvation to such a one. The antidote is to trust that God has my back...and is committed to me.

How then do we combat the cowardice and shame we might recognize in ourselves?

I've prayed for holy boldness...to not miss opportunities, having learned from the cowardice in the old days when it was important to please people and to be liked. I've learned that the ones who give the most flack, are the ones God is after, and they come around if I'm obedient to share openly and honestly.

It also helps me to remember the courage of those who stepped up and shared Christ with me when I was lost and not interested....(or didn't think I was!)

I spend a lot of time on-line and though I credit myself with taking on people in news discussion boards about the place of God in the leadership of the country, the truth is, I shy away from identifying my beliefs in other areas where I "know" the people I'm talking to. I wrote an epically long fan fiction once where I posted a portion of the story twice a week, so I got to dialogue with several people who were reading the story. There was one time that a 16 year old girl asked how my two main characters could get engaged without living together first. She asked that question a few times before I finally told her that I didn't believe that it isn't right (though in this case, the characters totally would have been living together -- they in no way shared my morals)There were other incidences like that where it would have been appropriate to share my beliefs. Sometimes I took those opportunities, most of the time I didn't.

We are called to have faith that God will take care of us when we choose not to show cowardice in our relationship with him. To go with the fan fiction story above, God did give me several openings with the 16 year old girl. She started giving me advice about what to do with the story, so we exchanged Emails and had some really good conversations. One was one year around Christmas when she was asking about the meaning of Easter and Christmas. She told me she didn't want to make any spiritual decsions until after she graduated from college and could figure out what she believes. She should be 2-3 years from that now. I wish I would have pushed her a little more, but also have faith that I helped plant or water a seed that will grow into something in the future.

The easy answer to how to combat the fear is to say have faith. I think with fear, the best strategy that I know is to just face it. In this area, that means starting by praying for openings and the guidance to take them. I read a book once (probably about chruch planting or growth) that said God isn't going to send you people until you are ready for them. I think that's true for us too. The book was talking about having systems in place to help the people grow and mature. But I think the same is true about us. God's not going to give us opportunities to share our faith until we're ready to take them. The best preparation we have is to pray for those ops and to study the Word. There are other things like practice telling your story, but I also beleive that especially if you've been a Christian for a long time, not everyone is going to need to hear the same story (I officially accepted Christ as my Savior when I was 6. There's not a lot to tell there. HOwever, in the 26 years since then, I've built a pretty big repetoire that may not make me connect with everyone, but I should have a pretty good swath of people).

I have been a coward when it comes to speaking the truth to other believers about what I believe about certain 'controversial topics'. At one point in my walk with the Lord I was bold about what I believed and why. One particular time I was with a group of preschool bible teachers and we were in pre-class prayer. A book was suggested to read for a closing activity. I knew the book could be offensive to some because it was presenting a holiday that not all Christians celebrate. That particular morning we were teaching the children about the Passover and the importance of the blood. The day we were teaching also happened to fall on the holiday that the book talked about (actually spiritualized an aspect of the holiday). I spoke up boldly that I didn't think that we needed to distract from the message of the power of the blood. The response was awkward. I had people looking at me like I had two heads.

After class a friend of mine and mother of a child who was in the class where the book was read told me that her child was mortified by the book and went in a corner and cried because she had been taught that the holiday was evil. That family stopped coming to the bible study as a result of the decision to read the book.

I beat myself up for being so bold and speaking out about not reading the book but I had to trust the Lord since I believe I was walking in His Spirit and not in my flesh that I spoke what He wanted me to say.

I don't know if it was the enemy that wore me out over this situation but since that time I have treaded so lightly almost to the point of cowardice in not wanting to say anything that offends anyone.

I learned from this situation that every word that I speak needs to be empowered by the Holy Spirit. If He prompts me to speak, I need to do so boldy and without shame. It is better to be silent if I don't know for sure if He is asking me to be bold because I do not want to lop off anyone's ear with my sword that was not called out of it's sheath!

Q2. (2 Timothy 1:7-8, 12) Can you give examples of how cowardice and shame may have kept you from identifying yourself as a Christian on occasion?

No, to be honest with you, I can

The Holy Spirit is the one who gives us the spiritual gifts that empowers us to use them. God Spirit does not impart fear or cowardice, but power, love, and sound mind, or self control. The Spirit imparts power for the various circumstances of ministry. As true christians we will not, can not, be ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ because we are to be testimony of our Lord, sharing with Him in the suffering never being afraid to witness.

You get afraid of peoples reaction. That they might ridicule or laugh at you. They may turn their back on you. Fear of your job.

Remember who you have your trust in and who it was that saved you. Remember where your treasures are stored,and who is walking by your side. Who your protector is. If you don't speak up your friends,family and co-workers will face eternity in hell.

I an remember times whin I should have spoken up about being a Christian and did not because I was to shy and backward. From testifying about my faith because I did not realizse who God was and who I was in Christ. The antidote is to know in whom you believe and serve. To combat the cowardice and shame is to pray for God to remove it, to give you boldness in place of them to stand for his kingdom.

• 2 weeks later...

A good antidote for shame is to realize there will be suffering if we are living for Christ. In fact it is a good sign we are living for Christ, as long as we are not being irrational. Then we should remember who has the final say on judgement day. It will not be the world, but our gracious Savior.

I know there have been too many times I have softened the message because I valued the opinion of an unbeliever more than God's.

This is a difficult question. I imagine fear...or fear of losing my job--but most of all coming across as self-righteous.

I need to remember Who is in charge & know my belief is in the Ruler of the Universe. I need to get my eyes off myself & onto Jesus--really having a burden for & a heart for others.

It's interesting that I have the same fear you mentionted, about coming across as self righteous. As I thought about it, I think that sharing our own weakness or dependence of Gods sufficiency would help dispell that. Though discernment is needed since some probably would not appreciate the "pearls".

• 1 month later...

There have been occasions where I was not ashamed but fearful of witnessing directly to people that I didn