JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Endurance and Suffering

• 4 weeks later...

People do not want to be inconvenienced or made uncomfortable. And people of this age know relatively little of being required to suffer, at least in America where we have been so blessed. It takes courage to rise above self to accept the discomfort of sacrifice. We may face ridicule or resentments or persecution. In general, we are called to make ourselves as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1), willing to see as God sees and do as He says. This is so difficult because it requires the death of the desires and demands of our fleshly nature. It is painful! It takes spiritual maturity to move to this level.

A willingness to suffer for the gospel results in benefit to the kingdom of God and greater development of the character of Christ in the believer.

Q2. Why do you think our churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering? Why did Timothy tend to shy away from it? What is the result of a willingness to suffer for the gospel?

Some people are afraid-afraid of dying, of pain, of doing without (food), etc. Some people just don't want to hear the truth. I know people who won't give in to God for fear that they will loose their lives. They think they will have to suffer like Christ did. Guess what? Some of us just might loose our lives for Jesus' sake. So what? We will reign with Christ! Whatever we loose here is nothing compared to what we will gain with Christ! Gloray! Bring it!

Q2. Why do you think our churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering?

For the same reason many churches no longer teach about sin and the blood of Jesus....they offend the casual church goer, and "wider" has become more important than "deeper". Better to have a small group of sincere disciples who long for truth, than a large group of fair weather church attenders who are only interested in getting a check mark in the box of "going to church". Endurance equals sacrifice, and these days it's all about self, looking out for number one, the one with the most toys wins, and other worldly beliefs that have become a part of the church.

Why did Timothy tend to shy away from it?

Apparently it was due to fear and timidity...a character weakness that many of us suffer from today. As some call it "soft" and selfish, consumed with creature comforts.

What is the result of a willingness to suffer for the gospel?

The gospel will spread even in the face of severe persecution, as unbelievers see the zeal and even the willingness to die, if need be, in those sharing the gospel. Also, the character is developed in the sufferer. Ultimately a crown is promised to await the sufferer in Heaven.

Q2. Why do you think our churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering? Why did Timothy tend to shy away from it? What is the result of a willingness to suffer for the gospel?

I think that the church does not teach about suffering for the gospel because they are afraid of losing members. We are not prone to want or be willing to suffer for anything even the gospel. We think of suffering as pain and that by its self tend to make us shy away. I don't know about Timothy by I would guess that he had the fear of becoming harmed if he went against the majority or those who were preaching against his ideas that Paul had taught him. He was young and may have though he was being disrespctful to his elders when arguing against them. The result of being willing to suffer is a growing of your faith and a stronger leading of the Holy Spirit. As we seek to do God's will it sometimes leads to suffering and that will lead to a strengthening of the Holy Spirit over our lives if we do not give up.

Many of our churches are managed by people who have inherited them from their fathers, who have not suffered greatly or had to start from scratch and therefore don't have the experience of doing the ground work, of real service and the hard knocks. I find these churches placing emphasis on more lifestyle issues rather than the hard core gospel that deals with real life issues. Pastors who have dealt with real issues right from the start are willing to give the tough love teaching which enables people to overcome with love. It is tough, and it is very powerful. Not everyone has the successful lifestyle that is often touted, and they have to be given the wisdom and strong scriptures that will enable them to deal with what is on their plate - disappointment, isolation, disability, grief, illness. They need the deep love of the church community, not the prosperity thinking that so predominates these days. There is a place for prosperity thinking, but let those who have much know that of them much is required - they have to stretch their resources far to meet need. "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels and have not love.... sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal = just a big noise - and who doesn't steer away from "big noise" people?

Timothy grew up in the church through his mother and grandmother. Although he spent a lot of time with Paul, he didn't start from scratch as Paul had done. Maybe his relationship with Jesus was not as dynamic in its origins as Paul's, and when the hard times came he was at loss to deal with it all. He probably had not to deal with deep repentance as Paul had (those who are forgiven much love much, as Jesus said of the sinful woman), and hadn't, like David, fought his own personal giants to the same degree Paul had. These things all deepen our relationship with God and bring it into greater focus than the things of the world. Therefore he was less resilient in times of having to stand alone for the Truth than Paul was.

The result of willingness to suffer for the gospel is that nothing can knock the truth out of you, that you become fearless as were Paul, David and Joshua, knowing that God has it all in hand, and that reality is in eternity, not the things of this world. It certainly doesn't mean you don't feel the pain. Peter certainly knew what crucifixion felt like etc. It simply means that pain is not the issue, Jesus is!

I have been just thinking, lately, that training children in sacrifice has great value. For example, as a child my church taught that lent was an opportunity to sacrifice some favourite thing for fourty days in order to honour Jesus Christ who sacrificed Himself on the Cross for us. I'm beginning to think that our children, in these days of prosperity, need to do these things in order to gain some ascendency over their carnal nature. It's not that asceticism is the way to Heaven - that is certainly wrong. But control of human nature and personal pleasure does have great disciplinary value. For example if one gave up coffee (coke, sugar, fizzy drinks etc) for those forty days and gave the money to a place of need, there would be much learning associated with it, especially the need for sacrifice.

Churches that do not teach the whole Word of God tend to not spend much time talking about suffering/persecution/hardships because it is not pleasant to hear such things.

Timothy shied away from talking about it perhaps because he, himself, was fearful.

Paul shows God's heart in himself by desiring so much for the salvation of others, that he was more than willing to go through suffering/hardship/persecution.

I think it is because most of the people do not what to hear that Gospel, they only what to hear that thinks will all right, which is wrong.

Timothy was shying because he afraid to continue preaching the Good News. His fears were based on fact, because believers were being arrested and executed. Paul told Timothy to expect suffering

Q2.

Why do you think our churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering?

Why did Timothy tend to shy away from it?

What is the result of a willingness to suffer for the gospel?

Some of our churches tend to preach only what they perceive the congregation want to hear. Mostly prosperity teaching and then they focus on success and the good life. They tend to avoid anything about the trials and tribulations that we all must endure to produce a Jesus Christ like character. Timothy was a young and inexperienced leader. Nothing is achieved in this life without discipline and endurance, perhaps even suffering.

This kind of reminds me of the song "Let The Good Times Roll". There is a difference in good times. A Christian can celebrate the good times in suffering through a growing closeness to the Lord and how the Word just seems to come alive. A non believer only knows good times as ease or drinking or drugs or money or fame, being popular or whatever.

Suffering is just that . It is suffering and through it comes growth but it is our natural reaction to shy away from it because it hurts and anyone who asks or preaches it. Plus I have noticed that if you suffer for the Lord now people have a tendency to back away as if it is a disease they might catch or that it is your fault. (Psalm71:7, 20). That we should all catch that "disease". What a witness we are for Christ when we are willing to suffer for Him. That is why we are to obey God and leave the consequesces to Him. We are to focus on Him and not the problems (I have so much growing to do in this area) and to rejoice and speak to ourselves in psalms, hymns, and spiritual prayers. I feel sometimes that instead of being a lamb I am like a squealing pig going to the slaughter.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

God forbid that we should preach the truth! Why risk scaring one precious dollar (oops, I mean soul) by telling that real Christianity involves pain and suffering like crying for the murder of the unborn innocents? Why not prepare the church for the negative reaction that real Christians receive from the world when they walk the walk and talk the talk?

Timothy was perhaps lonely and not prepared for the onslaught that came upon him and the same is true today. Our leadership is safe behind the pulpit and doesn't know how to properly teach witnessing, which is gained by experience so, those brave brothers and sisters who do go out are not prepared for what the enemy sends their way.

When you suffer for the gospel and Christ great is your reward! I cannot possibly recount the victories nor the bliss that the Lord gives to you in His outpouring of joy. You have to get some yourself.

I think that in most countries today we are led to believe that our religious beliefs are a free choice,and suffering for your belief is not a thing of the day.However on taking a closer look at this we soon see that things are not quite what they are made out to be.

Churches are often accused of disturbing the peace in residential areas the patrons block the roads and have no consideration for others.Political parties often flaunt Christian policies and beliefs in an attempt to gain votes only to revert back to the status Quo.

Cults are also given equal status and they abound and many false doctrines and idol worship is taking place on our doorsteps.Man in general has become educated in the way of the world and many of our children are bought up in Godless homes.Man has become smug in his wealth and wiseness and thinks he can do it all without God.

I think now more than ever we need to declare the call to endurance and suffering in oder that we might enjoy the fruits that can be borne through such .

When a Church do not declare the call of endurance and suffering, it's because of a lack to forsake the flesh and commit to the true gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We to have shy away for endurance because of being timid, but once we excepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior we no longer partake in fear, because God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and love, and of sound mind. But those who are willing to suffer for the gospel will receive an abundant reward in eternity.

Who wants to hear that the Christian life doesn't mean that everything is going to be perfect? We have this idea in our heads that if we're good, we deserve good things -- we reap what we sow. We want to control our destiny. Right now I'm starting to train to run 3 miles a day. I've changed my eating habits, I'm inthe gym nightly either lifting weights or running. It's a lot of work. And I desperately want to see results -- I want to see my weight go down, my fat evaporate, and my endurance go up. That makes sense to me, if I work hard I get a reward maybe not immediately, but soonish. I think that's how people think. If they're good, then they should get rewarded with peace and properity. I hate being the pastor that says, "but Jesus never promised that." IN fact he promised that His people would suffer. When you tell someone that, the obvious knee jerk reaction is going to be, "then why do it?" After I left the last church I served as an assistant pastor, I asked a pastor, "Is it worth it? Is being a pastor worth the hurt that I was feeling at the time?" Suffering isn't pleasant and people want to avoid it at all costs. Even Timothy did. that's what this letter is all about, Timothy wanting to get away from the suffering. If someone wh has the character that Paul says Tim had needs this encouragement, don't we all need it?

Endurance and suffering are not aspects of life that most people want to encourter and an emphasis on these may turn people away from attending church. However, when endurance and suffering are connected with living for Christ forever, we see them in a different light. Timothy, as most of us, did not want to deal with suffering and having to endure hardships. A willingness to suffer for the gospel leads to an eternal reward and a closer relationship to Christ which makes the suffering well worth it. :P

Our churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering because they themselves is unwilling to have endurance and suffering

Timothy tend to shy away from it because he is unwilling to have it

The result of a willingness to suffer for the gospel is blessed by God in this world and given the Kingdom of heaven and a great reward in heaven as stated in Mathew 5:10-12

I think our churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering because we think we have to go through the suffering on our own strength. We don't want to deal with the pain. We don't reralize that it is God's grace and strength that gets us through. I think Timothy tended to shy away from it because he was ashamed, he had grown weak, and discouraged. The result of willingness to suffer for the gospel is knowing that we live in Christ, eternally, and we will live in a better world with Him.

Their afraid people don't want to hear it and that they may change churchs there by losing tythe. I believe a lot of churches today teach that everything will be great if you believe in Christ Jesus. They don't teach about suffering or hell.

Timothy shied away because people don't want to suffer it scares them.

The result would a closeness to Christ and greater blessing in your ministry for him.

I believe alot of churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering because they fear many in the congregation will leave and go elsewhere.

Timothy tended to shy away from it because he probably didn't like the idea of suffering and going thru hardship.

The result of a willingness to suffer for the gospel is that we see God working in our life. This then helps us to draw others to Christ.

Q2. (1) Why do you think our churches tend not to declare the call to endurance and suffering?

-- Today the major part of Christendom are attracted only towards preaching done about the health, prosperity and how to being blessed with earthly blessings. And sure many preachers those who are tuned (carried away) by the congregation, themselves are living a comfortable lives putting aside the matter of suffering for the gospel and so the call to live a good secular life and enjoy the physical blessings is more resounding than the call to endurance and suffering.

(2) Why did Timothy tend to shy away from it?

-- Actually those are the times when the apostles were facing severe trials and tribulations and many times imprisonments for the sake of gospel. Timothy knew about those hardships and yet followed Paul and not deserted him. May he is willing to suffer but was filled with fear about the then secular world. Moreover he may having a question that whether he would be enduring till the end in the work the Lord has appointed him.

(3) What is the result of a willingness to suffer for the gospel?

-- It is known that the Christianity, firstly born out of the great and priceless sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ, and secondly out of much trials and tribulations and sufferings of apostles and other great men of god. So the result of willingness to suffer for the gospel is the building of God's Kingdom and through which the name our Lord is glorified.

One reason is that we naturally tend to shy away from suffering and hardship. Some are not able to endure. The promise is that we will reign with Him if we endure.

One reason is that we naturally tend to shy away from suffering and hardship. Some are not able to endure. The promise is that we will reign with Him if we endure.

• 1 month later...

I think the reason our churches do not declare the call to endurance and suffering is because of the money. If we scare or offend people the church, we will start to lose members. Some people just want to come to church hear the word sing a few songs and go on their merry way. Some people come to church to feel a part of a group and they treat the church like a country club. Some people come to church to find a mate, and there are those who are truly searching for the gospel of Christ. They want to know who this man is and how they can have Him in their lives forever. I believe the reason Timothy wanted to shy away from the suffering because of what he saw going on in the church and he probably thought it would be no use for his suffering for people who did not really care. The result of suffering for the gospel is life and more abundant life with Christ Jesus, and since of knowing and living the gospel.

• 6 months later...

People who go down into Mexico, over to Africa, and other countries as these endure hardship and suffering. Here in the United States the average person doesn't suffer for Christ. We endure the hardships of what life throws at us and have to remain strong in the word, but I don't know that the average person could endure and suffer as missionaries do. We're not all called to be missionaries. Recently a man came to our church who has been down in the mountains of Mexico preaching to people who have never heard the word of God before. He has suffered cold, hunger, and been dangerous situations but he is the happiest man there is. He is going back this week.