JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Fit and Useful

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:20-22). When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table? When do you use your everday tableware?

We use the china and silver on special holidays, occasions, for special guests, for company. For everday dinners, lunches, breakfasts we use the pottery dishes and stainless steel. (For some reason, the teaspoons to the stainless steel keep disappearing...probably in the garbage when everyone is in a hurry. More time and care is taken when setting the table and clearing up the special tableware.)

What point is Paul making with this example?

We are in the household of God if we are in Jesus Christ. Each one has purpose and destiny, but to be truly useful, we must cleanse ourselves through confession and repentance and separate ourselves from the contaminating and corrupting things in the world....and will then be set apart and consecrated to the Master's use and purposes, fit and ready for any good work....like the gold and silver dishes.

In practical terms, how do we "cleanse ourselves" so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use?

The only cleansing agent is the Blood of Jesus Christ who "when we confess our sins is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness". I would add, according to Paul's example, we are to ask the Lord and to rely on His strenth to avoid and flee from "contamination" and to pursue righteousness rather than being relegated to the commonplace pottery in the example.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:20-22). When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table? When do you use your everyday tableware? What point is Paul making with this example? In practical terms, how do we "cleanse ourselves" so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use?

We use the good dinnerware, tablecloths, napkins, silverware, serving dishes for special occasions and company. We are quite casual for everyday with common dishes, paper napkins and maybe serving out of the pan it was cooked in. Not fancy.

The point Paul is making is that God is looking for godly living as the special vessels. Clean but not necessarily beautiful.

We are to refrain from the from the ways of the world and anything that would dishonor our Lord and be vessels that shine for Him, that can be used to bring glory to His Holy name. We are to live holy lives while we are here.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:20-22). When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table? When do you use your everyday tableware? What point is Paul making with this example? In practical terms, how do we "cleanse ourselves" so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use?

When I eat alone I use the everyday tableware, and usually put the good crockery and silverware out when I have guests, like today. However, I think Jesus needs the good stuff to be out all the time, as everybody is special to Him.

The point that Paul is making is that we who were second rate tableware, by obedience to the righteous word of the Lord, can become beautified, and comparable to the best of tableware.

In order to do this, we have to truly repent of our sins, and daily of our sinful nature, exorcising (just meaning get rid of) that which is not honouring to God, and building those habits and gifts which give Him honour, namely the gifts of love, and self sacrifice, without which nothing else has real relevance. We need also to spend much regular time with the Lord so that we can be sensitised to the Holy Spirit, and able to discern what the Lord is leading us to do. This time to be spent in prayer and study of the Word, in praise and meditation on His Word.

You put good plates and silverware on the table for honourable uses,

You put everyday tableware for less honourable purposes.

Look as it is in a great house, there are several vessels, made of several materials, and for several ends and uses; some are made of gold, some of silver, some of wood, some of earth; some made and bought for more noble and honourable uses, others for more vile, base, and dishonourable uses: so it is in the church of God, which is large, and like a great house. In it are many members; some have obtained like precious faith with us, who are as gold tried in the fire, or like silver purified seven times, by the word of God, and his Spirit sitting as a refiner upon their hearts. But all they are not gold or silver who glitter in an outward profession; some of them have earthy, wooden souls, savouring only sensual things, having nothing of precious faith in them, and are not yet purged from their filthiness, wanting all truth of grace, or sincerity of love. Some, whose work is to honour God, being created to good works, and whose reward will be to be honoured and glorified by him: others, who, by their apostacy from their faith and profession, and by their wicked lives, will dishonour him, and will be eternally rejected by him, as reprobate silver, and sons of perdition.

Marie and I are not what you would call wealthy in the worldly sense, so we only have the everyday silverware and no china. We live our lives that same way, if you come to our house, rich or poor you eat off the same dishes. I find it kind of odd that we assume that God chose the silver and gold of value when in reality it is not said that the things we place value upon is what pleases God. 1 Cor. 1:27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things--and the things that are not--to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. (niv)

In all reality there is too much putting on of airs when someone of a little importance comes to dinner, or when someone enters church and then off comes the silver and gold when the company leaves or we leave church only to put it back on next week.

What Paul might be suggesting is that we do away with the foolish putting on of airs and live a life pleasing to God every day, just as if we were in the presence of Him all week. OHHH we are.

Darrell

As we have only one set of plates I don't relate to the metaphor. What I do see is that we all must get rid of sin in our lives by crucifying our flesh in order to become vessels fully acceptable to our Lord.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:20-22). When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table? When do you use your everyday tableware?

Good plates when special company comes or I want to make some kind of impression on the guests I am serving.

That we all have things that we cherish more than others.

In practical terms, how do we "cleanse ourselves" so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use?

We discipline ourselves to turn away from that which we know is not pleasing to God and we choose to go after that which we know if pleasing to Him.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:20-22). When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table? When do you use your everyday tableware ? What point is Paul making with this example? In practical terms, how do we "cleanse ourselves" so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use?

We as family put the good plates and silver out only on special occasions and some holidays. Most of the everyday tableware is just that for daily and non-holiday use. I believe that Paul is stating that their are two kind of people, the elect and the unsaved, the Holy and the unholy. We must pray and seek God and His righteousness. We must turn from our sinfulness and seek to live Godly lives to serve and teach those who are unholy that they might turn and recieve Christ.

I only have one set of dishes, but I get the comparison. Paul is saying that if we completely clean ourselves, or get rid of all the things in our lives that we deem more important than God, then we will be able to concentrate on the things that are pleasing to God. Like really nice china. You want to bring it out when you have company to impress friends or relatives. But, if the visitors looked in the cabinets, they would see the true everyday dishes that may not look so attractive. Inside is what really matters-whatever does not separate us from God.

In a typical home there are various containers. Some for everyday and some for special times..we need to wash ourselves of sin using the basic basin..

this washing involves fasting, repentance and prayer..then, THEN we have a hope in the following:"Become the kind of container God can use to present any and

every kind of gift to his guests for their blessing." (MSG) :)

I don't have anything but a few special bowls that come out for some celebrations.

My everyday stuff is fine--none match--a few nicks, but they hold food!

Our vessels (bodies) need to be in tip top shape for the Master.

We need to repent from ungodly things--clean up our acts--we can will to follow & obey Jesus & have a life Jesus can work in & through.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:20-22).

When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table?

When do you use your everyday tableware?

In any large house there are all kinds of utensils, not only gold and silver, which are articles to be kept and displayed, and used on special occasions; but also wooden and earthen vessels, which are used on a daily basis and got rid of when they have served their purpose. Similarly a church contains true believers (the gold and silver vessels) and hypocrites (the wooden and earthen vessels). The genuine members are destined for honour, the others, for dishonour. I think Paul is saying that if we will effectively cleanse ourselves, we will become a utensil for honour. Now, the way to cleanse ourselves is to become detached from that which is evil and attached to that which is good. God can only use clean vessels in holy service.

When we are having special guests around we will take out the good plates and silverware, this is not done to impress or brag but rather out of respect. We should always be trying give the best we have in our daily walk with our Lord.

The point that Paul is trying to get across is that as believers our bodies are the Lords vessels and as such should be cleansed and presented as the silverware mentioned.

This cleansing was done for us through the blood of Jesus, but as we walk and grow with him we need to strive to become more like him the perfect vessel. We achieve this through prayer and constant reading and studying of His word.

What point is Paul making with this example? There are believers who can be in different shapes and forms. However God's wish list is that the believers will become golden vessels fit for noble purpose. God will use everybody but we should aim with the help of the Holy Spirit to reach that highest spiritual status. That is Christlike and that is what all of us are predestined to. God can even use Satan or Balaam (OT) to achieve His purposes. Therefore being used by God does not mean a lot. We need to continuously cleanse ourselves with the Grace God provides.

In practical terms, how do we "cleanse ourselves" so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use? Practical terms: what does it mean to us on a day to day basis? As I understand there are two things in Christianity. One is God is doing and the other one is we have to corporate with him and we need to be disciplined to accept those corrections and act on it. The acting part is ours. We cannot sit doing nothing and then say God will do it. First we should know what to cleanse. When we are in the presence of God all the time then we will be sensitive to His Spirit. When the Spirit shed light on certain areas of our lives then we need to act on it and cleanse ourselves with His help. If we do not act on it then we may not get further revelation. We become dull to further promptings of the Holy Spirit. So there is a part we play in the cleansing process. We may be born again at some stage of our life but if we are not diligent then there is a danger of back sliding. That is why we need to guard ourselves continuously with fear and trembling.

I dont' have any special plates or dinnerware. Everythign I own is used and used until it's worn out and can be replaced as cheaply as possible, so I'm struggling with this analogy a little more than I usually do. I think what Paul is trying ot say is that there are certain plates that we use for special purposes, and that's what we are called to be, the ones that are separated from the more common.

As for the how, as Pastor Ralf said, the answer is in 2Tim 2:22, "Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along iwth those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." That means setting yourself apart for the special use.

Q1. (2 Timothy 2:20-22). When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table?

Good plates and silverware for most of the time, is put out for special occasions.

I set them out for our common Everyday meals.

We are to set ourselves out daily, as vessels of gold, tested by fire, to be pure. We are to be dedicated to the holy God, to be used for His glory, not to be put to common use, as a vessel not of value: For we are vessels of honor, being formed out of clay by the Potter, to give honor, for the gift given to us God's Son, Jesus; God's vessel of honor, my salvation, and to Him I say, "worthy is the Lamb"

[quote name=Pastor Ralph' date='Feb 2 2009, 06:10 PM' post='42417]

Good plates and silverware (our very best) is used to noble purposes. Paul is trying to make the point that we give our very best to serve God. We cleanse ourselves by repenting of our wrongdoing and striving in all we do to glorify and serve God and always to be ready for Him to use us as His vessels on this earth. :P

Daily, Daily, Same as the way I put on the righteousness of Jesus Christ. The imagery of the house is used to describe two categories of believes. Gold and silver represent believers who are faithful and useful in serving Christ Jesus. Wood and clay represent believers who fail to honor the Lord. "Cleanse ourselves "so that we might be useful and ready for the Lord's use by flee... pursue...,and avoild, fleeing from evil, pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, and avoild all that Christ Jesus has not taken a part of, this means all opposition, conflicts, and quarreling.

I put my good plates and silverware on the table when I hold a special party in my house in which my guests of honor will visit our house

I use my everyday tableware at my everyday breakfast, lunch and dinner times

The point Paul is making with this example is as the using of an article depends on the user

When do you put your good plates and silverware on the table?

The good china and special silverware are for special occasions.

On a daily basis.

In God's house (a large house), there are articles of gold, silver, wood and clay. This analogy represents the unique designs of man that God has created. We all are different but some are noble and some are ignoble.

If we cleanse ourselves whether we be of wood, clay, gold or silver, we will be an instrument for noble purposes and useful to our Master. Daily prayer and reading the Word......confession of our sins.........forgiving others and ourselves......help us to fulfill our purpose.

Our good plates and silverware is when we are following God, which should be all the time. The everyday is when we are in sin, turning away from God. The point Paul is making we are to be of the plate made of purest gold, our best plate, so God can use us for His purpose. We cleanse ourselves by asking God to take away everythng that is sin and unclean to him, and his forgiveness.

We like to use our good plates when its a special occassion. We use our everyday plates so our good ones are preserved both in condition and appreciation. When we rid ourselves of evil desires and pursue godliness we make ourselves ready for God to use us in His special service. We have a choice everyday as to what we will put on and what we put away, in regards to our attitudes and desires, as stated in Colossians. In Gods house we can either be a good example, or a horrible warning.

• 1 month later...

I put my good plates and silverware on the tables when I am having guest over for dinner. I use my everyday tableware with family or if I am eating alone. Paul want Timothy to not be tainted by the sins of others trying to be around and try not to get involved in what they are doing. But if you stay around long enough you begin to act the way that they do. We have to continue to study God

• 5 months later...

People use their extraordinary plates for extraordinary events - to celebrate or to impress.

People use their ordinary plates for ordinary events - for everyday.

Paul claims we need to be the 'extraordinary plates' to be used by God in an extraordinary way.

We don't need to be the 'ordinary plates' like the common people.

We can cleanse ourselves by following Jesus.