JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...

Q1. (2 Timothy 3:16) What does inspiration of Scripture mean?

The men who penned Holy Scripture, were filled with the Holy Spirit, and wrote as He awakened, enlightened, and gave revelation of His Word to and in them, writing according to His leading and guidance..

What does the term "God-breathed" tell us about the source and authority of Scripture?

I have always loved that phrase...it brings to mind the picture of God breathing His breath and life into Adam, as portrayed on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. God Himself is the source, and is why Scripture interprets Scripture, without contradiction though there were dozens of authors or "scribes"...That's the other thing I think of....a scribe writes not his own words, but preserves faithfully and exactly the words given to him to for future reading. God's Breath means the Word is alive, and is able to quicken the dead spirits of mankind into life eternal, and to teach, train, correct, and inspire believers in His ways.

Why is the doctrine of inspiration of Scripture important?

The fact that it is God's Word, gives it the authority and inerrancy to be believed and to know with assurance that the Lord Himself is speaking through it when it is read. From God's Lips to my eyes or ears!

Q1. (2 Timothy 3:16) What does inspiration of Scripture mean? What does the term "God-breathed" tell us about the source and authority of Scripture? Why is the doctrine of inspiration of Scripture important?

Inspiration of scripture means that; God directed the men who wrote it what to write, and how to write it, that as a rule of faith and practice for men it might be perfect.

It means that Scripture is completely trustworthy because God was in control of its writing. Its words are entirely authoritative for our faith and life.

The doctrine of inspiration of Scripture is important because:

-It teaches the will of God, and it points out Jesus Christ till he should come.

-It convinces men of the truth; and to confound those who should deny it

-For restoring things to their proper uses and places, correcting false notions and mistaken views

Q1. (2 Timothy 3:16) What does inspiration of Scripture mean? What does the term "God-breathed" tell us about the source and authority of Scripture? Why is the doctrine of inspiration of Scripture important?

The Bible itsself says that every word in it is God-inspired-that means that God was dictating! The Holy Spirit moved certain men to write down what God was saying.

We can believe that the Bible is the word of God because it says it is! If it weren't, why would we believe? I know that God's Word is in the Bible, and I know that He meant it for us. I thank God that it is this way-otherwise, how could I believe? How would I know that I am saved, and forgiven?

The inspiration of scripture means that scripture was written ,as it were, by the Holy Spirit. Maybe men were the hands used

for the actual writing on parchment but the words and the truth of them were from the Holy Spirit.

The term God-breathed tells us the source and authority of Scripture is God Himself not the instruments (men) used.

The doctrine of inspiration: I am going to quote the footnotes from my Bible:

The eighth admonition, which is most precious: A Pastor must be wise by the word of God only: wherein we have perfectly delivered unto us, whatsoever pertaineth either to discern, know and establish true opinions, and to confute (prove to be) false, and furthermore, to correct evil manners, and to frame good.

God Bless!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Inspired scripture is God's Word (God breathed) revealed to us by and through the Holy Spirit. God breathed the Word and there is no doubt about the Word's authorship. It is the only source of authority and if it is not inspired it is profane. The Holy Spirit will always confirm the Word to be truth.

Q1. (2 Timothy 3:16) What does inspiration of Scripture mean?

I looked up the word inspiration, and found it had to do with brainchild, intuition, divine guidance, stirring and arousal to the unusual, and inhalation of air as in a deep breath. In particular, comments on the word inspirational were helpful, emphasising as they did the idea of taking in breath. To inspire is to take in breath, to gasp. It suggests that the breath comes from elsewhere outside humanity, but is essential for life.

When God breathed life into Adam, Adam initiated nothing, but his body responded to the breath from God by inspiring (a powerful ability given him already by God), and he drew LIFE.

So I think "inspiration" refers to something 'in the air' to which a man is able to respond, to be stirred up, aroused, elevated. It doesn't come from the man, but the man is able to respond to it, to be inspired, elevated, excited, motivated, activated.

So the inspiration of scripture is not in the ability of man to engineer it, but in the ability of man to respond to something sent by God. (Is intuition the neglected ability God gave men to respond to reality, to His Truth? Children have it clearly, but in adulthood it seems to get lost somewhere). So, men given to drawing on God have been able to write words inspired (sent) by God, words that would normally be beyond the ability of man to write. Thus such men have written words that come from God, and as such are consistent with God's character, although they have been written by many, across many generations. These men have been produced for this purpose, by God, within a culture developed for precisely this task - a priestly tribe prepared to bring Truth to the nations.

What does the term "God-breathed" tell us about the source and authority of Scripture?

God-breathed tells us the scripture is sourced from God and not from men. Historians might have the talent for writing events - usually with the particular slant of the writer. However, Scripture is written with the particular slant that God desires, namely TRUTH. Luke (Luke 1:1-4 and Acts 1:1) exemplifies this when he declares to Theophilus that he was well positioned to, and has gone to great lengths to check all the stories and write a truthful account for him. He is writing under the inspiration of the Spirit of Truth, or the Spirit of God that hovers over the world from the beginning of time, whom God re-breathed into mankind at Pentecost, and for whom we Christians can and need to be in constant search.

To diverge for a moment, I think it is the same Spirit that gave rise to the inspirational concept of the repeatable experiment in science, and the whole development of science on this basis. Without this exercise in truth we would be back in the dark ages with witchcraft running everything! End of diversion!

It is important that we understand the God is the one who inspired all of scripture, and gives it His authority, consistency, and trustworthiness. Therefore we can trust everything it says (well tested by those who collected the scriptures to assemble the books of the Bible in the first place). Trusting, we will be obedient, become knowledgeable, and can lock into the Spirit Truth personally, for ourselves and our time, which is the whole purpose of everything. The Spirit of Truth, who gave us the Scriptures, unites us in spirit and in truth as, in obedience, we meet the wonderful world of brothers and sisters in Christ, the fellowship of the Spirit of Truth, and, together, give witness to the Truth in a hostile world.

Inspiration of Scripture means divine guidance or influence of the Holy Spirit exerted directly on the mind and soul of the Scripture writers

About the source and authority of Scripture, the term "God-breathed" tells us that all scripture comes from God and creates the Word

The doctrine of inspiration of Scripture is important because without firmly holding it we can be doubt or not be confident of all verses written in Scripture and if we doubt that the Scripture come from God we will doubt to believe, be useful for us of, and do what is in Scripture

My understanding of the word inspired when looking at the scriptures, goes beyond even what the dictionaries say. What do I mean? Well in this case to simply say the word means one of the following doesn

Q1. (2 Timothy 3:16)

What does inspiration of Scripture mean?

In some miraculous way, God communicated His word to men and got them to write it down. What they wrote was the very words of God, inspired and infallible. Every word used was the words given to them by the Holy Spirit. Thus we read in 1Cor 2:13 :

It means that men were in the Holy Spirit and spoke the words that they were given by the Holy Spirit not their own. It tells us that the scripture were first spoken by God and then retold by the prophets. All Scripture comes from God and His Spirit gives us understanding and we grow in His will. It is Important because it had to come from God to be the truth and Holy to lead us to our faith in Jesus. We weren't there to see Jesus so God gave us the Scripture,word spoken by Him that we could come to know Him and His love for us not the word of a man but the very word God.

Inspiration of Scripture means that God guided man in some way as the words were written. "God-breathed" tell us that the source and authority for these words came from God. The doctrine of inspiration of Scripture is important because this doctrine says that the Scripture is directly from God--His message to us. :P

When I'm writing a play or a narrative piece of fiction, there's this image in my head and these voices that guide me in what I write. I instinctively know what's right for the characters and the plot and through the wrting, I figure out what the message I'm trying to convey is. I think that's how it was for the writers of the Bible. I think there was first this internal need to get the things on their mind out on paper (in some cases God directly said "write this down"). And based on what God was saying to them, they wrote. And they wrote in the style that they were most comfortable with or that made the most sense (Paul used letters, David used poetry, Luke was more academic). They wrote for a particular audience. I hestitate to call it a dictation, even though that's probably the slosest word I know for what it is. If I'm telling a story, it's going to come from my heart and head. It might (and hopefully) be placed there by God, but it's going to come out the way I would tell it. But writing, when you're doing it right or are on the right track, is a lot like taking a dictation. The characters are telling you what they're doing and saying and you just have to try and keep up.

So both these terms means that God was very much the One that prompted the writing of Scripture and guided it. But, He also chose to work through humans, which means that there was some human choice (Besides having the choice to say no to God about writing in, the writers usually got to say what they needed to say in a way that made sense to them).

This doctriine is important because it shows where ultimately it came from.

Inspiration of Scriptuer means "God breathed", Paul teaches that God was actively involved in the revelation of His truth to the apostles and prophets, who wrote it down.

Doctrine is teaching. Paul highlights correct teaching first and always.

The inspiration of Scripture means that supernatural influence of the Holy Spirit on the Scripture writers which rendered their writing an accurate record of the revelation or which resulted in what they wrote actually being the Word of God. God-breathed tells us that all scripture comes from God directly and can be considered his breath, his word. It is important because it is God's way of communciating with us.

Inspiration means God breathed, which is a supernatural influence from the Holy Spirit. The doctrine of inspiration is important because it sets it apart from just being the opinion or knowledge of man.

• 1 month later...

Inspiration of Scripture means that God inspired the Scriptures through a supernatural influence of the Holy Spirit while men that God chose would write down what they were inspired by God to write. God-breathed means that it comes from the very depth of God

• 6 months later...

Inspiration means that the Spirit told the authors what to write.

This means that God is the source and authority.

This means that the Bible is God's communication with us - so we have to believe and to do what's in it.

It is not a book like one of the Grimm brothers that contains fairytales with some wise lesson.

No, it means that it is the absolute true.

• 4 weeks later...

Millard Erickson defines "inspiration of Scripture" as that supernatural influence of the Holy Spirit on the Scripture writers which rendered their writings an accurate record of the revelation or which resulted in what they wrote actually being the Word of God.

The term "God-breathed" tell us that the source and authority of Scripture lies in the fact that all scripture has as its source God's breath.

The doctrine of inspiration of Scripture is important because the source is God Himself, not man; and ultimately it is to God that we will give an account to for what we did based on our confidence in God being the inspiration of Scripture.

• 1 month later...

That men were supernaturally influenced by the Holy Spirit to accurately record was was revealed to them by God. All scripture comes from God directly and can be considered his breath, his word, his communication to us. If what we consider to be God's word isn't, then what good is it?

Inspiration of scripture is God giving the words of the Bible to man. God-breathed means that the words came from God and is of the ultimate authority. It is important to realize the words of the Bible came from God Almighty through the Holy Spirit to man and they are true.

• 5 months later...

The Word of God comes directly from God through or by way of the Holy Spirit. . .

Scripture does not or is not originated by the prophets or apostles - but comes directly from God, is originated by God - and breathed by God into the writer - it is not man's word - it is the Word of God. . .

The Doctrine of the Inspiration of Scripture proclaims the supernatural influence of the Holy Spirit on the Scriptures rendering them to be accurate and without error. . .

B)