JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2? Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient? What problem is Paul trying to overcome here? How do these verses speak to you in particular?

These verses tell me that I need to know what I am talking about whenever I tell someone or answer a question about Jesus, or any subject in the Bible. Study to show thyself approved-study the Word and know what you are talking about. We don't want God to look like a liar, or someone who doesn't know what He is doing! What we do and say reflects on Him, so we better know for sure!

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2?

Paul had addressed Timothy's spirit of timidity and fear earlier. Now there was conflict and tension in the church from the false teachers, and Paul was admonishing Timothy to stand firm and remember that the main thing is to preach and teach the Word of God faithfully, no matter what is going on.

Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient?

Because it's the most important thing..the Word awakens the unsaved and disciples the believer. There will always be attempts by Satan through infiltrators to stop the preaching of the Word and to try to distort it's truth.

What problem is Paul trying to overcome here?

It sounds as if Paul thought Timothy was flagging and becoming wishy-washy and discouraged from the attacks within the church as well as from without. He was exhorting a wavering pastor to STAND! I believe Paul knew his own time was short and that it was imperative for a firm foundation of scripture to be laid before the "wolves" got in to try to tear down Timothy's work, that of other Pastors, as well as his own.

How do these verses speak to you in particular?

These speak to me of urgency...I sense the same urgency Paul spoke of, as I see prophecy being fulfilled nearly every day and sense that we are in the last days. I see people all around me who are lost and not even seeking truth...YET....but I believe as more pressure comes, they will. My desire is to always be ready to share Christ. A Pastor taught us how to share our testimony in 2 or 3 min. so it can be given quickly, such as on an elevator ride, if the occassion arises. ( A brief summary of my condition before I met the Lord, how I received Him {which gives the plan of salvation, including scripture} and how He has changed my life.) I've discovered that it's also an effective way to share when cult members knock on my door.

I sat at a conference by a woman who had come out of a cult and received Christ, because she said over the course of time, a number of Christians shared their testimony with her when she knocked on their doors. She said "cult members don't have a testimony....only a driving need to try to do enough to hopefully EARN salvation. In time, she realized she was lost and would never gain salvation in this cult, and from the testimonies and scripture shared (never argued), she received Christ. The Lord then instructed her to go to each door of those who had not slammed the door in her face, and to thank them for taking the time to share with her. It works!

to show how very important the Truth is

we don't know what is coming--so better to be prepared for anything

the importance of the Truth being taught and caught

never to lose the excitement of digging into the word and staying teachable

TheyQ3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2? Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient? What problem is Paul trying to overcome here? How do these verses speak to you in particular?

The apostle solemnly charges Timothy to be diligent, though many will not bear sound doctrine. People will turn away from the truth, they will grow weary of the plain gospel of Christ, they will be greedy of fables, and take pleasure in them. People do so when they will not endure that preaching which is searching, plain, and to the purpose. Those who love souls must be ever watchful, must venture and bear all the painful effects of their faithfulness, and take all opportunities of making known the pure gospel.

We should always be ready to serve God in any situation, whether or not it is convenient. We should be sensitive to the opportunities God gives us.

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2)

Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2?

Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient?

I think Paul is trying to emphasize the urgency of preaching the Word. Time is running out and there are many to be saved; one should make use of every opportunity.

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2?

It would seem that Timothy had a choice to make. Either he had to face up to the disappointments of ministry and continue without any compromise, or fall into preaching a popular gospel that was not the whole truth. This, of course, Paul would never accept, and neither will the Lord in the final judgement. So Paul has to use strong language. It is as if he were correcting Timothy in the most positive terms imaginable, and commissioning him once again to preach unmitigated truth.

You just never know what is around the corner, but Timothy had always to be ready for it, as Paul had been, through thick and thin, earthquake and shipwreck, thinking nothing of suffering for Christ, but only of Christ Himself, and the task to which he was appointed.

We are social creatures, and that by deliberate design. Therefore we are greatly affected by the reactions of our fellow man. However, fellow man is fallen, and our job is to help renew him to his full potential in Christ, not to tumble over with him. We are to use our sociability to regenerate society, not to join it. Paul is asserting this very strongly in dealing with Timothy's disappointment and distress, calling him again to the task of consistency and truth in his ministry, although it will cost him. He is trying to teach him again to grasp the vision by the horns and be unrelenting in his teaching and preaching so that he will rejoice in his prize when Christ returns in all His glory to judge all things.

To me the church has gone soft in many areas, and these scriptures say to me that when I see shortfall I must call out the troops to recognise it and defeat it. We Christians in the west have to re-establish what it means to live in Christian community, live boldly in righteousness and disempower the subtle ways of the world that compromise our faith. For example, many Christians do business on the Lord's day and think nothing of it (I'm not talking about hospitals etc, but about shops etc). My 'Christian" real estate agent set up inspections on Sunday in spite of the fact that I had asked him not to do it. We need to stand up for the Lord's day. Jesus always said the law would never pass away, that he came not to undo the law but to fulfil it. He aggressively threw over the money changers in the temple. If someone did that today there'd be a mighty kerfuffle!. Of course there will be reaction, but we are there to withstand persecution, not to kowtow to it. That is only one example. Persecution or no persecution, the Lord is coming again and we need to be ready to meet Him, having brooked no compromise in the practice of our faith.

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2? Why does he have to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient? What problem is Paul trying to overcome here? How do these verses speak to you in particular?

4:1 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage -- with great patience and careful instruction.

I think that there might have been a little fear showing in Timothy due to the false teachers following Paul and distorting the word. Hewas trying to keep Timothy focused on the goal of spreading the Good News and not letting people interfer with that mission. He wanted Timothy ready at all times because he could never be sure when someone would need to hear the truth and his heart had to be ready when ever that time came. He is trying to over come the false teaching that was following him and since Timothy stayed behind to start the church it was in his hand to refute the false teacher. We must always be ready to teach, instruct, correct, and rebuke when necessary we are to carry the Word of God into all corners of the earth and you must know how before you can lead.

I think that that Paul is saying that there is never a better time than right now, so we should make sure that we are prepared. We need to be ready at all times to teach, answer and correct others in the way of the Lord. Remembering always that tomorrow might be too late. so be ready.

It is for the above reasons that we should be constantly praying and studying the scriptures that if the occasion arises we will be ready to fulfil the Lords work.

I would like to share the following E Mail that I got and hope everyone finds it as encouraging as I did

Influence is "the act or power of producing an effect without any apparent exertion. " It's not control; it's affect.

It's what happens to people just for being around you.

As a Believer, it is absolutely your job to be influential. We have to use so much wisdom when we speak to people on the streets especially to our families. What we say to them whether good or bad will influence their whole life. Colossians 4:5-6 says

Paul had spent more than a couple of years in Ephesus and this was almost one of his final letters. I do not think that he lived that long after writing 2 Timothy and Titus. So he must have felt that urgency to write the important matters that matter most. He must have known in his heart that once he leave Ephesus the false teachers will infiltrate the church in Ephesus and confuse the Christians with all their myths and genealogy. To save the church from destruction he felt the need to warn Timothy on those matters. That is why he says in another place "watchout for wolves". These false teachers could not enter the church when Paul was there and once he is gone he felt that there should be another strong person there who could stand firm for the truth. If the elder of the church is not fully equipped with truth then anyone can take the church in a wrong direction compromising the truth with worldly wisdom. Therefore any member of the God's Church should be ever ready to be a witness.

THroughout this letter I get the feeling that he thinks Timothy's been giving into some feelings of being overwhelmed and jsut hasn't been as on fire as Paul would like. I think I see Timothy as being kind of beaten down by his church. So when paul is saying "Go out a preach" he's saying, "get off your butt and do more than just go through the motions. Take every opening you get." I see Paul as a kind of coach to Timothy in this letter. He's spent the frist 3 chapters trying to inspire, now he's saying here's what you have to do, so get it done.

Today I was talking to a co-worker who I don't usually get along with. His mother was recently diagnosed with cancer and he's obviously upset about it. We had a long discussion about his shock (he's never heard of cancer in his family), my family's history of cancer, how we live with the constant threat of it, and friend's cancer stories. I missed an opportunity to talk about the peace of knowing God, and it might come down to this not being ready. But at the same time, I think I managed to minister to him a little by spending that time talking and listening, instead of sticking my nose in the book that I was trying to read for a class. My feeling through the entire exchange was that talking with him was the more important thing. It was an inconvenient time, but I feel like I was ready for it.

Paul command to Timothy by calling on God and Jesus Christ to be witnesses to it. He reminds Timothy that Jesus will return in judgement. Paul's charge to Timothy is to preach the word. Preaching God's truth. Be ready to take a stand, perseverance and courage be alert at all times. To my responsibilites, even when it is inconvenient. Longsuffering true Spiritual growth occures over a period of time, through consistent teaching and application of God's Word.

Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2 because he wants that the charge that he gives to Timothy is carried out all diligence because God and Christ Jesus are the witnesses and sanctions to that charge, and Timothy has to give account to Christ on his second coming day for that charge

He has to talk about being ready when it's inconvenient and when it is convenient because the opportunity to declare God

It is very easy to become discouraged in the Christian walk. There is much adversity and people don't seem to care. But we walk the walk for God and for the Lamb. The best of people need to be reminded of the importance of this duty to preach His Word. To be faithful in adversity, to advance in adversity for our Lord's glory.

I have a lot of work to do in this and in all areas of the Christian walk. We are to do what God asks and leave the consequences to Him.

I just listened to a sermon by George Gauthier called The Worthiness of the Worthless. For anyone who needs encouragement this is a good reminder of our responsibilities and God's grace in us.

Lord, I pray for each person on this forum. That you would speak the necessary words to each individual in the way that they need since you are intimately concerned with each of us and our tendencies and of those around us. Protect our hearts from the bitter emotional stings and the pain in our physical bodies as we remain faithful in your Word. May our lives give you glory through your grace in us.

Amen

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers6:24-26

<_< It is so easy to become tired and discouraged in ministry and Paul feels this may be happening to Timothy. We all need to pray and ask God to refresh our minds and bodies when we become tired and discouraged. We must share the gospel at all times even when it is not convenient for our schedule. This may be the time when we may reach someone's heart. Paul is trying to help Timothy understand that as Christians we need to stand firm as we lovingly share the Word. We must share truth and not just what is popular at the time. These verses speak to me especially the message to stay positive and learn to refresh body and mind with God's help. :P

Paul had to resort to the command to remind Timothy that he would have to answer to God for the things that was intrusted to him. In season, out of season- he could not let any opportunity slip by about preaching the gospel, he could not put it off thinking it wasn't the right time. He had to convict them of their sins so they would turn to God. The problem Paul is trying to overcome is the errors and heresies that had crepted into the church. It speaks to me in a way that I have to know God's word, get God's word out which is the truth, and help people see the truth.

• 2 weeks later...

It's easy to get off message and drift from the word. We have to be committed to serving any time the opportunity presents itself. Paul wantss to keep the reason we gather to be edifying in Christ. It seems that we shoud be careful to be diligent not to become just a social outlet as a church, but to be building each other up in Christ.

Q3. (2 Timothy 4:1-2) Why do you think Paul has to resort to the command in verses 1-2 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine?

It is God

• 1 month later...

Paul knew that there would come a time that people would reject the word of God, because some did not want to hear the truth. Paul wanted Timothy to be strong in the word of God when he preached. He did not want him to back down but stand firm to the opposition. Paul has to tell Timothy to be ready because of the attitude of the people especially after they have heard false teachings from those who claim to be follower of Christ Jesus. Paul is trying to overcome the problem of fear to speak up for the Gospel of Christ and getting the correct teaching to the people who are seeking after the truth. This speaks whole heartedly to me. I sometimes have problems speaking to difficult people. I sometimes have a hard time correcting someone in church that I know is wrong because I don

• 6 months later...

We have the obligation of giving our testimony.

Or as Paul says in the letter to Ephese, to wear the shoes of spreading the gospel.

In broader sense, we have to serve Him always.

It doesn't matter if it is convenient for ourselves or not.

Most likely, it will not be convenient for us because it gives us troubles.

To be able to give a good testimony, we have to read the Bible to know what's in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul had to resort to the command in verses 1-2 because he wanted Timothy to understand the seriousness of his call in ministry as a teacher/preacher of the gospel. Timothy is instructed to be ready at all times whether it is convenient or inconvenient because with the false teaching going on Timothy must be ready to refute the false teaching. Paul is instructing Timothy to be ready to refute the false teachers and to have a ready word, which is the truth, for any one who may question the faith.

These verses teach me that I too must be ready to give a word when called upon.

• 1 month later...

Because of the stuggle that it is going to sometimes be. Not every situation that comes up is going to be ideal. For Timothy to keep his focus. Always be ready, in tune with the Spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reminded of Luke 12:48, "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked." When Jesus comes back we will be judged on what we did with the gifts God has given to us. We don't want to be found lacking or indolent. It's easy to do the right thing when it's convenient for us, but we are to do what is right whether it's convenient or not. It tells me I need to use the gifts God has given me because I am accountable for them.