JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:5) Why does Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry"? What is the work of an evangelist that Timothy is to do? What does the command in verse 5 mean to you personally?

To me, this means that no matter what may happen, we must do the right thing. We must seek to lead the people to Christ, no matter what the cost. Teach truth, be able to stand on the truth, and be patient with those that resist the truth. We cannot give up-we must persever. In my case, this would mean being patient with my husband. He refuses to listen. He tells me not to preach to him. But I know that God is speaking to his heart, and I refuse to give up! I want him to have what I have, and for this reason, I press on toward the mark for him to know Jesus. There is no special formula-we can just go to Him ourselves. It is so wonderful! Jesus is wonderful! Gotta go shout! bye!

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:5) Why does Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry"?

He wants Timothy to be sure to do all the ministry that God has called or set out for him to do. To give himself afresh and anew to that which the Master expects of him.

What is the work of an evangelist that Timothy is to do?

I like what Dr. Wilson said regarding this.

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:5) Why does Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry"?

If Timothy was flagging in fatigue or distraction from attacks, Paul was exhorting him to Stand, and to stay focused on his calling to shepherd his flock, to keep his eyes on the goal rather than trying to put out the inevitable "fires" around him. Shepherd's guard and tend the sheep, head on, they don't run.

Paul is restating what he said earlier: Preach the Word! It awakens the unsaved and disciples and teaches the believer in righteous living.

What does the command in verse 5 mean to you personally?

There was a time when my family came under such attack that it was as if an angry hornets nest had been unleashed. We were too new to understand spiritual warfare, and we were knocked around badly. I was so busy girding up for the next blow that I was in a defense mode, rather than on the offense...seldom shared my faith, just tried to survive the next blow. (Lost our business, home, car, were falsely accused at 2 churches, with no apology or restoration when the truth was known, our two kids cars caught on fire and burned a month apart, then the car which replaced our daughters, was stolen and never found. Short of living in our car, strangers took us in, and while there my husband went blind from cataracts, and now with no insurance...on and on it went.....my book is about how the Lord was faithful in all of our circumstances and has provided for us everything we have needed.) ...So verse 5 says to me from what I've experienced: Cling to the Rock, hide in His shelter, and at the same time, continue to allow Him to work in and through me and the ministry gifts He's given to me. It's in the trials of life that people are watching to see how we handle things...to see if we REALLY walk our talk, REALLy trust Him.

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:5) Why does Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry"? What is the work of an evangelist that Timothy is to do? What does the command in verse 5 mean to you personally?

It is possible to be overtaken in a fault, to neglect one's duty, and to lose one's soul. Watching unto prayer prevents all these evils.

Do the work of an evangelist] That is: Preach Christ crucified for the sins of the whole world; for this, and this alone, is doing the work of an evangelist, or preacher of the glad tidings of peace and salvation by Christ.

The command in this verse to me means That ministers must make full proof of their ministry; that is, must fully and faithfully discharge all the duties of their calling, not do their duties by halves; but accomplish all the parts of their ministry, strengthening the weak, comforting the afflicted, reducing the wandering, and adorning their doctrine by a pure and unblamable conversation. This is to fulfill our ministry.

He wants Timothy to continue his work, Paul knows that his time is getting short and that He needs Timothy to care the word to those who don't know Christ and He wants him not to give in to the false teacher that are getting in the way of truth. He is to carry on the teaching and strengthing of the church. He is to seek out and correct those who are not following the truth of God's Word and to exort those who are sharing the love of God with the one around them. "But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry." (4:5) In keeping my head I will not be drawn into needless arguements but be able to teach and correct as a person that understand the word and shares it in love of Christ.It means to be willing to endure hardship that might come from serving other in the name of Christ. Work hard as an evangelist to spread the word of God and bring in the lost to Christ.

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:5)

Why does Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry"?

What does the command in verse 5 mean to you personally?

Nothing must get in the way or try to stop Timothy from fulfilling his ministry to the full. He was to do the work of preaching the gospel to the best of his abilities, and not be distracted. I am to stand up for our Lord, not to get tired or discouraged, but always to be there for Him.

To be watchful "Sober". Endure afflictions the hard toil of ministry, which will have its own reward. An evangelist equips and encourages believers to share the Good News The Gospel Of Christ Jesus.

When you look at the context by reading verse 6, Paul is concerned that he won't be around to help Timothy or advice him very much longer. He knew that his time is running out. So he wants Timothy to know the responsibility he has in terms of God's ministry. Paul warns him of the suffering he will have to endure as any servant of God will face. We must be aware that when we are on the forefront of ministry then we need to encounter huge resistance from the adversary. Our preaching has to be backed by our character. We can preach but if our conduct is not backing up our preaching then it is totally useless.

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:5) Why does Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry"? What is the work of an evangelist that Timothy is to do? What does the command in verse 5mean to you personally?

I think Timothy like many of us became complacent and sometimes even negative toward his calling. This more often than not is bought about by Satan

Q4. (2 Timothy 4:5) Why does Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry"? What is the work of an evangelist that Timothy is to do? What does the command in verse 5mean to you personally?

I think Timothy like many of us became complacent and sometimes even negative toward his calling. This more often than not is bought about by Satan

Paul is telling Timothy to charge ahead even though Timothy probably doesn't feel like it. I see Timothy as having been in his assignment long enough that he's gotten into a routine and so he's missing stuff. He knows what he can get away with and he's doing that. Not that he's doing the bare minimum, but he's in a comfortable place. What Paul is saying is get out of this comfort and do just a little more. Do the things that remind him of why he went into minitry in the first place. Do the thigns that will set him on fire. don't settle.

For me, I'm thinking about my job. I feel like I've been passed over for a promotion that went to two people who aren't as qualified as I am. I was thinking about that before I started reading this section, then as I was reading I remembered what I wrote last night about my co-worker and being able to minister to him. I know him well enough that I know he would resent me if I were in a position of authority over him. I wouldn't have the same open door to talk with him as I do now. The verse says endure hardship and keep your head. To me that means stay focused on what I was actually called to do. I was called into ministry several years ago whether my conference wants to believe it or not. I was not called to be a supervisor at the job I'm in. I was called to minister to this guy who's going through a hard time. That's the reason I was put here. I have to stay focused on my ministry opportunities and on my goals without losing my temper about office politics because I want a title and some respect for the time I've put into this department.

I love what spazzo47 has to say about his work situation.. verse 5 says "but you keep your head in all situations, endure hardship.."

This is especially difficult in the workplace where not everyone is a Christian(most of corporate America.)I can make the mistake of

slipping and backsliding, putting my witness at risk..We not only have Paul's letters for encouragement but we have the gift of the Holy Spirit giving wisdom and strength to fight the enemy of our souls.. B)

Paul commands Timothy to "discharge all the duties of your ministry" because Timothy maybe has slacked off a bit in his ministry

The work of an evangelist that Timothy is to do is preaching the Gospel and teaching of how one must live one

It could have been that Timothy was feeling pressure to preach a pretty message instead of true doctine. Our ministry is to tell the truth to an unsaved world and part of that is not pretty.

I have a lot of work to improve in these areas. We are not to be halfhearted. That is wishy washy. We are to give the whole truth and nothing but the truth. No bandaids to cover over or make life all better for someone desparately needing the truth.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Paul commands Timothy to carry out his ministry, to fulfill his service. The work of an evangelist is one who preaches salvation with the purpose of winning people to Christ and to train them in righteousness. To me it means get busy about God's work, endure persecution, fulfill the ministry that God has given me.

To be well rounded in teaching and correction. Timothy is to teach about salvation and train in righteousness.

To work hard at fullfiling the service God has for me.

Whatever we do for God, we must give it our all. For Timothy, great suffering is coming, not just to him, but to all of Israel; therefore the importance is vital, be strong Timothy, complete the work God has for you, the time is short. I see the same importance for us today, the time is short, we have a race we must all finish to the end.

Q4. What is the work of an evangelist that Timothy is to do?

Timothy is to preach the gospel, Jesus is the Anointed One, bringing salvation, reconciling us to God the Father; With the new covenant comes peace, God

• 1 month later...

Paul commands Timothy to discharge all his duties in ministry so that he will give God one hundred percent of the gift that God gave him. Paul wants Timothy to think more of his service to God then his boredom in ministry because he feels that what he is doing is not making a difference in anyone

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Paul command Timothy to "discharge all the duties of his ministry" so that the body of Christ might receive the full measure of all that he is equipped and ordained to do for God. The work of the evangelist that Timothy is called to do is teaching and preaching unto salvation and training others in righteous living. This command is beneficially to me also to be a teacher of the gospel and to train others along the way to faith in God.

• 1 month later...

Because he might have been slacking off a little. Keep his head in all situations and preach and instruct. The call for ministry demands a total effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul tells Timothy this as a reminder to be faithful to his calling, not be become complaisant in his position. Timoty is to preach salvation and train them in righteousness. This means I am to be level headed, faithful in my walk with Jesus, willing to do my best at whatever God has ask of me.