JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Father, Forgive Them (Luke 23:34)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

I think we can see the crucifixion in two ways.

1. As an event that tok lace 2000 years ago

2. Spiritually as the Son of God dying for us.

Now having said this then seeing it as an event I think the Chief priests and the scribes were the main culprits and the rest aided in the crime.

I being a follower of Christ would like to look beyond this and look at it from a spiritual angle and see the reality and truth and then I see Jesus dying for all mankind and as being personally responsible myself for His death because of my sin.

Jesus was praying for us because He knows if we have a true revelation of who He is we will never sin against Him. He also knows our Spirits are willing but our flesh is weak.He knows without the Holy Spirit we are powerless over sin.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus? What responsibility do you and I bear in this? In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

We all carry the burden of responsibility for killing Jesus through our sinful nature. Jesus' only purpose in dying was to be a sacrifice for our sins and for our redemption. I personally contribute to his suffering and death every time I choose to go off the path that Jesus so clearly set before us. Through confession of sin, repentence and following Jesus more closely, I bring closure to Jesus death and live in unity with him.

Those who were responsible in killing Jesus were Jewish leaders, Roman politicians and soldiers, bystanders and even my sins.

Because we are all sinners, we all played a part in putting Jesus to death. The good news is that God is gracious. He will forgive us and give us new life through his Son.

Christ had often preached the doctrine of forgiving enemies, and praying for them; He practises it here Himself in a most exemplary manner when He prayed this prayer to us.

Those who were responsible for killing Jesus include soldiers, Jewish leaders and Roman politicians.

As sinners we all have to take a 'corporate' responsibility for Jesus' death. The good news is that our Father of infinite love has forgiven us and through Jesus we have new life.

God bless,

John

From Pilate, the Pharisses and Saducees, the ones who crucifed Jesus on the cross, right down to each one of us individually. Our sins nailed Jesus to the cross; He had to die on the cross because that was the only way God couled reconcile us to Himself. Jesus was praying for us because we acted in ignorance, He was praying to redeem us from sin and to pay the debt we couldn't pay.

This may appear to be a crazy thought at first. But

God is responsible for putting Christ on the cross.

God is pure and holy and just. So nothing that is not pure and holy can be in His presents. God wrath against unholiness had to be absorbed by some one. Jesus took the job of making the unholy sinful man holy again. Jesus can to earth to live to show men holiness. Jesus then took the cup Matthew 26:42 that held the wrath of God and drank till the last drop. He went to the cross to die a death for each of us so we can have a new live in Christ Jesus our Lord. When He died the curtain of the Holy of Holies was tore from top to bottom allowing all access to God through the death of Christ n the cross. We can now stand in the presents of God in a white robe covered in the blood of Jesus. When God looks at us all He see is the holiness of Jesus.

Thank you Jesus!!!

Every sinner is responsible for Christ's death..a fulfulment of prophesy..God's glorious plan of forgiveness of

sins,providing eternal life to all who choose to follow His Son Jesus..We all "do not know what we are doing"

without sensitivity to the Holy Spirit..Thank you Father, Abba for your glorious grace to us while we are sinners..

We the people are most responsible for killing Jesus. He died for our sins so that we could have a place in Heaven with God the Father. We bear the same responsibility as the people of long ago who cruified Jesus. He was asking the Father to forgive our sins because we are not worthy of being forgiven. He was praying to wipe away our debt which we ourselves can not do. Thank you Jesus for interceding on my behalf so that I may have eternal life as well as my brothers and sisters in Christ. Amen

Jesus said that no man takes his life, he gives it up freely. (my paraphrase) He laid down His life for us. And when I say US I mean all mankind, all those that came before me and all those who will come after me. We are ALL included. He died for SIN! Our sins make us responsible. How wonderful is our GOD that HIS plan is perfect.

I think humanity as a whole is responsible for killing Jesus. He died to make a way for all of us-not just a certain group, or country. All of us must take responsibility for His death.

My responsibility lies in the fact that Adam was disobedient, and took part in eating something he wasn't suppose to eat. Since I am a descendent, then I am a sinner-disobedient, as well. We are born into sin-that is just the way it is. There is no need for me to act all holy and pure. I am saved only by God's Grace. Nothing that I did or could ever do could bring this about. I will never, in this life , be good enough because I am a sinner. Jesus' death made me good enough. Jesus loves us that much. Think about it. He loved us so much that He gave His life for us. We-I owe Him everything! He saved me from punishment. He gave me eternal life! Because of our sins, Jesus died. He loves us that much!

He knew that, until the Holy Spirit would take the veil off our eyes, and allow us to see the truth of our condition, we would not understand the ramifications of all that His death means to us. Until one is saved, one is soaked in greed and envy. We only think of ourselves, and we become jealous when we see someone else doing better than us. So, He was praying that The Father would give us time to have the eyes of our understanding opened so that we can know the truth. I thank God that He gave me time! Gloray!

Jesus in making that ultimate sacrifice for us on the cross took responsibility for all our sins,and God by giving his only begotten Son also took the same responsibility.

Now who do we hold responsible for Christ's death?.It is always easy to pass the blame on to others But do we ever stop to think that we might be as responsible.Often in our daily lives we take the cross and it's consequences fore granted and I believe it's these times that the Lords prayer on the cross was meant for us.(Forgive them Father for they know not what they do.)

The truth of the matter is that we as sinners are all equally to blame,for without sin their would be no need for salvation.

Thank you Father for taking responsibility for our sins and forgive us for the part we had in Your Sons death we ask this in the name Of our only Saviour Jesus. Amen.

All of us, each and every one of us from the beginning of time. Pilate and the other officials hold no more responsibility than the rest of us. All have sinned and fall short, therefore, God being a just God must have a sacrifice for our sins. All sacrifices were temporary until the Lamb of God was sacrificed. We sent Him there and He saved us. Jesus, being fully God, knew from the beginning of time that He would have to come to the earth Himself to save us as the ultimate sacrifice. He did so willingly and lovingly. Thank you LORD!

THE ROMAN SOLDIERS MAY HAVE BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR PHYSICALLY NAILING HIM TO THE CROSS , BUT IT WAS OUR SINS AND THEIRS THAT HE WAS TAKING UPON HIMSELF.HE WHO KNEW NO SIN BECAME SIN SO THAT WE MIGHT ME MADE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD IN CHRIST JESUS.NO GOOD THING DWELLS IN ANY OF US.WE SENT HIM TO THE CROSS.JESUS WAS PRAYING FOR FORGIVENESS NOT ONLY FOR THEM BUT ALSO FOR US WHOM HE ALREADY KNEW WOULD BE HERE AT THIS TIME , LIVING IN THIS CENTURY, BUT STILL IN NEED OF FORGIVENESS FOR SIN OF ALL KINDS..GOD BLESS..

I do agree that the officials of the time, basically at the direction of the Jews, physically put Jesus on the cross. And of course, we all have responsibility in that without our fallen nature, it would not have been necessary for Him to die. What is so amazing is that, even though our sins can be considered the thing that sent Christ to the cross, it is only by His will that He was on it. At any time, He could have cast off the burden of the cross. But Jesus CHOSE to die for our sins, and not only that, but to suffer for us as well.

As you know, before Christ died for us, an animal sacrifice was required to atone for sin. But the animals were not first made to suffer. In fact, an animal who was sick or injured in any way would have be considered unacceptable for sacrifice. The actual death of the animal, although perhaps the most theologically significant part of sacrifice, was possibly the quickest part as well. Had Christ died only to cover our sins, it could have been quick and painless. All that was required was blood. Why then did He suffer such affliction? To set us free from it.

My pastor recently gave a really amazing sermon on this. He referred back to Isaiah 53:5. "He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."

It was by his suffering that we were set free from our transgressions (our willful sins) and our iniquities (our fallen nature). He died so that we would be forgiven, but he suffered so that we could be victorious. Later, in verse 10, the prophet says that "the Lord [made] his life a guilt offering." Guilt offerings were made when someone sinned unknowingly.

In Leviticus 5:17-19, the Lord said to Moses, ."If a person sins and does what is forbidden in any of the LORD's commands, even though he does not know it, he is guilty and will be held responsible. He is to bring to the priest as a guilt offering a ram...and he will be forgiven. It is a guilt offering; he has been guilty of wrongdoing against the Lord."

It may be that this was even what Christ was referring to when he said, "they do not know what they are doing." He may have been at that point praying for forgiveness of the sins we commit unknowingly, presenting himself as a guilt offering.

As Christians, then, our responsibility is found in coming to Jesus and turning over to Him not only our sins, but all of our guilt and even our reliance on our fallen nature (from which come our iniquities). "For therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1

Hallelujah!

Jesus died for our sins, and we are responsible for His death. We are born in sin. Our sins had to be paid for and Jesus had to concur death for us to live forever with Him. God's holiness required Jesus to die for our sins.

The person most responsible for Jesus death must be Adam. Adam is the first man where sin originated. The sin are transfered through the bloodline of Adam to us. As Jesus was born from the virgin Mary without the intervention of a man it meant that Jesus was free of sin. Only a man free of sin could die for the sin of man. That man was Jesus the Son of God.

He is asking His Father to forgive us for our sins that we do knowingly everyday. We should therefore strive to overcome sin every moment of the day if we love God. His love for us is so great that he gave his Son for us to live, without us understanding and comprehending what it really means.

Q1. (Luke 23:34) Who was most responsible for killing Jesus?

When I learned that if I'd been the only person on earth, Jesus would still have come and died for me, I discovered that I put Him on the cross. My sins were nailed with Him there on Calvary.

The Bible lists the groups involved, and all are guilty. I tend to think of those living at the time who "should have known better" were the religious leaders who knew scripture, knew prophecy, etc., but they are all individuals, and He died for each of them too. Adam and Eve started us down the fallen path, but had I been in Eve's place, I'm certain I'd have done just as she did...so once again, I am responsible for killing Jesus.

What responsibility do you and I bear in this?

I bear full responsibility for acknowledging my sin, and for turning to Jesus for forgiveness for my sins.

In what sense was Jesus praying for us?

He looked into the future and saw you and I in our fallen condition and included us in His prayer and His provision through His shed blood to cleanse us from our sins and hopeless condition, into Eternal life. His death and resurrection were not an afterthought....when Adam and Eve were still chewing the forbidden fruit, Jesus was preparing to come to earth to save us.

Since none of us are without sin, we are all responsible for killing Jesus.

Our sins are the reason Jesus went to the Cross, so we all bear full responsibility for His Crucifixion.

Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

This was something that was set in motion at the foundation of the world because Father knew we would all go amiss and need the new deal. All of mankind are involved in the inheritance of the sinful nature, and everyone of us need the sacrifice of the pure, unblemished Lamb of God to remove our shortcomings and redeem us into the fellowship of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The soldiers, Pilate, the scribes, pharisees and saduccees, apostles, and all the rest of us have need of the sacrifice of Jesus, and it is for all of us who will respond, no one more than the other.

We were not around at the time, but our birth into sin puts us in equal need of redemption. We are responsible entirely for how we respond to the Cross, because it was for all mankind, in every age. We can't point the finger at Pilate, or any of them, because they did it on our behalf, and because of our need for salvation.

Jesus saw us as His bride, for whom He constantly prayed during His life and His death. His whole life's purpose was to save his bride, and that involved His sacrifice for her.

Supprisingly it is God who is most responsible. Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world. Jesus was sent by the Father to die for our sins. We gave plenty of reason for the need of a redeemer.

Jesus was praying for us in that when we sin we dont really understand what we are doing. We are in a sense doing violence to God.

1. I believe I was responsible for Christ death on the cross due to my sins. Christ died for my sins.

2. I feel that every time I sin that I have hit the nails again in his hands.

3. Jesus prayed because he knew of our future. Father God gave up His son for my sins.

although we did not nail him to that cross physically, every person who lived and lives in the present time and will come to be in the future is equally responsible for the death of Jesus on that cross in calvary just as if we had put Him there ourselves . technically at the actual time of His death the spiritual Leaders in Israel; who could not receive Him as messiah and Pilate, who agreed to hand Him over to be executed though he found Jesus guiltless; were the ones most responsible for the actual crucifixion and death of our Lord .

isaiah 53: 5-6

But He was pierced for our transgressions , He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him . and by His wounds we are healed.

We all, like sheep have gone astray ,each of us has turned to his own way;and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

this pretty much sums our guilt and God's solution

every sin ever committed by us was paid for on that cross. Gods justice was satisfied but the Son took all of it upon himself and only because the offense against a totally Holy God was paid in full can we enjoy fellowship and be accepted by God; All because of Jesus and only because of Jesus. He freed us from the Guilt of our sin and Freed us from its total control over our lives. all this He bore for our benefit

i believe that when Jesus prayed it was that we would not come under judgment for despising God and His word by having continually sinned against a just and gracious and most Holy God. as sinners we were dead in our transgressions and sins unable to grasp the truth nor love God much less walk in obedience to Him. it was a plea for mercy and forgiveness that what we did against God would not be counted against us and that God's wrath would not be poured on us for our evil behavior and rejection of Him due to our ignorance and hardness of heart. only God's Grace transformed us once He allowed us to see our true desperate state,repent and were drawn to Jesus by The Spirit through faith .mercy all mercy; a plea for those who could not save themselves.for that i am so grateful that He chose not to condemn me for all i've done but instead He chose to forgive me and show me mercy and love.

Q1. (Luke 23:34)

Who was most responsible for killing Jesus?

We all bear responsibility for killing our Lord and Saviour Jesus. He died because of my sin, and our sin. With infinite love and mercy Jesus prayed to our Father for the forgiveness of our sin.

[/color]

I feel that mankind was most responsible for killing Jesus. We bear total personal responsibility for the crucifixion of Jesus because He died to redeem us of our many sins. Jesus was praying for us because those present at the time either knew that they were condemning an innocent man and/or were ignorant of the fact that Jesus the Christ was indeed the Son of God. I think his prayer extends to us today because we continue to live as though Jesus had not given His life as a ransom for ours, so we still need that forgiveness today.