JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. An Interest in Spiritual Things

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Was Isaac a spiritual man? Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau?

A2. Rebekah was indeed a spiritual woman. She prayed to God and sought Him out. The Lord spoke to Rebekah. Isaac was also spiritual. He prayed to God in faith that his wife would become pregnant. The Lord gave him double blessings. I would say Isaac was more spiritual of the two because he not only prayed to the Lord for himself, he also prayed for his wife. Some evidence of spirituality in Esau is the fact that he never claimed his brother obtained the birthright illegally. He admitted that he had given it of his own free will albeit later, he truly was sorry. Some evidence of spirituality in Jacob is his realization of the significance of delayed self gratification.

. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Was Isaac a spiritual man? Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau?

Yes Rebekah was a spiritual woman and was interested in spiritual things that is why she was ready to fulfill God

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Was Isaac a spiritual man? Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau?

Yes, the Bible says Rebekah was a spiritual woman and we can see evidence of that because she went to inquire of the Lord. vs 22. She also took what the Lord told her seriously and wanted to see His promise fulfilled. However, I think she also favored Jacob over Esau and probably encouraged him to be deceitful and go after the birthright. Isaac was spiritual because he prayed for his wife. I would have to say Issac was more spiritual because Rebekah encouraged her son to be deceptive to gain prosperity. Hebrews says Esau was godless although he did have regret that he did wrong and he did acknowlege that wrongdoing. Jacob was a thinker and was willing to wait for what he wanted.

What does it mean "spiritual"? Rebekah was not a priest, on the other hand, she consulted her problems with God. She believed in God, she trusted the God, she relied on the God. But was she "interested in spiritual things". I do not think so. And Isaac - he was more interested in hunting, but he prayed for her wife. Why? He wanted a son, a heir. It is similar as we are doing. We are praying mainly when we need something, when we miss something, when we are ill, poor. Are we so much different then Isaac and Rebekah? Up to now, I did not find any evidence of spirituality in Jacob or Esau. Mainly the reason is that both are young. As anyone of us, they have to grow, to attain maturity not in the physical sense but in the spiritual, intellectual sense.

I have been shown that even the most "spiritual" people have a propensity to think only of themselves, from time to time. I am guilty of this. Our degree of sprirituality is subject to our flesh-driven desire for whatever it is that we want at any given time. To say that one person is more spiritual than another is wrong. All of us must, on a daily basis, strive to repress the desire to please self, and work on trying to see that others around us are put first. This is something that I am being taught, as I do this study. I am prone to think about me a lot. But-God is merciful, and He is a very good teacher! Gloray!

Rachel could be seen as a spiritual person in the sense that she believed what God had said to her about the twins. However, I believe her desire for Jacon to fulfill what God had said took over her life and she began to scheme with Jacob on how to get Esau's birthright away from him. In that respect, I believe that her spiritual part got taken over b y the decptive aims for Jacobs future.

Isaac was a spiritual man, always striving to follow God's will. He honored his responsibility and would not turn the birthright back over to Esau, who was his favorite and most like him, because he made a vow and a vow cannot be broken.

Esau did not seem to care for things of a spiritual nature. He was more of a person who lived for the hunt. He loved his father and didn't show much of a spiritual side.

Jacob seems to have two distinct sides. He wants to follow God and what is right, but he wants to be in charge and have the blessings which go with it. He is definitely conflicted. However, I still see his mother as part of the problem for his overwhelming desire for the birthright that reightfully belongs to Esau.

. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? Was Isaac a spiritual man? Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau?

Yes Rebekah was a spiritual woman and was interested in spiritual things that is why she was ready to fulfill God

Thank you,Masika,for bringing Genesis 26:7 into the focus.Other than Jesus,who is perfect,"all fall short of the Glory of God".It seems that perhaps the "iniquity of the father" (Abraham) was visited upon the son,even under the same circumstances and with the same people.Abimelech might have thought it was some sort of family tradition.It appears that Abimelech only accepts Isaac as a "man blessed by God" after he observes his success.I agree with your view on Rebekah: her contrived deception of her husband for the benefit of Jacob,was,also an act of love, but lacked faith in the certainty of God's prophetic Word that she had received.

Q2. Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things?

Yes she was, she was not a Canaanite, a non believer. She was one picked by God.

Was Isaac a spiritual man?

Yes he was, when his wife was barren, he prayed to his God, the one true God, and God gave favor to Isaac and his wife was pregnant.

Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive?

I am not sure who you mean, or what you mean? I do know that the birthright God gave to Isaac was an important part of his life, he held it in high esteem, the reality that the birthright, the blessings would also be given to his descendants.

Isaac was a man who had trust in God, he was in submission to Him, he was a man of prayer, and he stood strong in his faith in God - One of the most important spiritual acts was - he was the first to receive the circumcision, the sign of covenant with God.

What evidence of spirituality do you see in Esau and In Jacob?

Esau was a carnal man, living in the moment, unable to understand that spiritual needs are more important than the temporal desires of the flesh, just as Ishmael was excluded from the promised blessing because he was begotten of the flesh

Jacob was not a carnal man, his desire was that for God, he had faith understanding the importance of the birthright, the covenant, it is fellowship with God. They both knew what the birthright meant, but one held it in his heart (Jacob) the other held it in his mind (Esau)

A2. Rebekah was indeed a spiritual woman. She prayed to God and sought Him out. The Lord spoke to Rebekah. Isaac was also spiritual. He prayed to God in faith that his wife would become pregnant. The Lord gave him double blessings. I would say Isaac was more spiritual of the two because he not only prayed to the Lord for himself, he also prayed for his wife. Some evidence of spirituality in Esau is the fact that he never claimed his brother obtained the birthright illegally. He admitted that he had given it of his own free will albeit later, he truly was sorry. Some evidence of spirituality in Jacob is his realization of the significance of delayed self gratification.

I believe that both Rebekah and Isaac were spiritual to a point. The Bible does not tell us much about this but when they went before the Lord he answered them both so there was a relationship between them and the Lord. If they were to be perfect before God they would have Loved both of their children equally and not one before the other( in which this is a trait that is seen in Abraham and will follow through Jacob) Jacob and Esau neither show any spirituality early on there lives. If they were then would not have Esau have not sold his birthright to his brother and Jacob would not have deceived Esau.

Rebekah appears to have been a spiritual woman. She sought the LORD with her questions about the struggle between her unborn twins and He answered her, revealing the prophecy about her sons. But she didn't trust Him to fulfill the prophetic word about Jacob. Isaac had sought the LORD on behalf of his wife in her barrenness; he built altars of worship. The LORD appeared to Isaac on occasion and assured him of the promises made to Abraham. Esau seems to have held spiritual matters in distain. I'm not really sure what I think Jacob's status was. There's no stated evidence of spiritual concerns. He certainly hadn't sought the LORD during this whole scenario.

I don't think any of them were spiritual in the way we think of the word spiritual. Remember, these people are only one and two generations removed from the original discovery by Abraham that there exists a God; a God named I AM. I don't see this concept of God's identity absorbed into their beings. They live in a polytheistic culture that worships capricious gods, and I think they treat the "God of Abraham" the same way, perhaps not realizing what they are doing.

Rebekah-- who, unlike Isaac, was not the daughter of someone who knew and worshipped "the God of Abraham"-- clearly expects God to be able to answer her question, and intuits that the jostling of her sons means more than merely "boy, those are active little babies". However, she is manipulative and flippant. She never expresses a desire to please or to worship God, only to extract prophetic information from him. At one point she says to Jacob something along the lines of "If Isaac is going to curse you, fine, let the curse fall on me". On top of that, she was racist, and complains bitterly about Esau's Hittite wives. You could argue that this was centuries ago, when racism was not an issue in the minds and the hearts of the people, but it seems nonetheless that Rebekah's intolerance of the Hittite women exceeds that of anyone else.

Isaac-- I see him as someone dreamy, gullible, passive, submissive. He sees injustice happening before his eyes, (e.g. the stew incident), and does not even protest, let alone refuse to take part. Perhaps he would have been able to take back the blessing, but it is just not in his character to do so. The same character of submissiveness is shown in his response to the people who kept trying to take over his wells. Maybe this is the inevitable character of one nearly slaughtered by his own father in an act of sacrifice? In the end, people like him, and he responds favorably to their requests to live peacefully with him. He is sensuous, and vulnerable. He loves Esau on a deep, emotional level; a level evoked by the smell of the outdoors on the ruse-garment worn by Jacob. I don't see the same genuine feeling between Rebekah and Jacob. I like Isaac. I think he is the closest thing to what we think of as spiritual.

Jacob-- I think he is one of my least favorite Bible characters ever. I mean, he is compelling, and that's why I am here, studying his story. But I can't stand the man. There is not one ounce of reverence in his body. Notice even the way he refers to God-- he calls God "the Lord YOUR God" to his father. He professes no relationship with God, of his own. The experience with the dream of the ladder totally takes him by surprise. Even then, he is not moved to submission by the mere presence of God. He strikes a deal. An if-then deal! He says something like "God, first you have to take care of me etc, and THEN, you will be my God."

Esau-- I have trouble wrapping my head around him. His actions are beyond unwise-- they make no sense! Maybe there was something wrong with him-- maybe he had a cognitive disability of some sort. Otherwise, how would he have brought himself to selling his birthright for a bowl of stew? (And how would Jacob have even thought to ask him?) If this is the case, I can't judge him for making bad decisions, and it makes me despise Jacob all the more.

Pastor Ralph, on 12 November 2009 - 07:08 AM, said:

Well, what does the scripture say: Rebecca prayed, Isaac prayed more, neither Esau nor Jacob prayed (not that we're aware of anyways). Rebecca encouraged Jacob to "deceive" her husband, a husband God blessed...which she knew about. Jacob acted in beguiling ways tricking Esau...Jacob knew Esau's flaw was self gratification. Nothing is mentioned one way or another whether Issac condoned Jacob for his behavior; we do know, however, that Issac tried to make extra sure that he blessed the right son. So, yes I'd say Issac, though flawed, was a spiritual man trying to follow God's will. Rebecca? The evidence did suggest that she was more like Jacob...relying upon herself to make sure she got what she wanted, instead of going to God for help. (Not unlike myself sometimes, trying to fix my own problems without consulting and relying upon God...and you know what, I am a Christ filled spiritual person. Sometimes I just do the wrong things...so...I guess at those times I am just human, not always spiritually filled.) As for Esau...he cast his whole God given destiny away for a cheap meal. No, I'd say he is not a spiritual person. Was Jacob spiritual...there is no evidence to suggest this.

I think Rebekah was spiritual as far as her parents had taught her, because she stole her fathers idols, they must have meant something to her otherwise she would not of took them. I don't think that she knew enough about God or she wouldn't have take or wanted idols. She did know enough to seek Him when she wanted children. I think Issac was spiritual and had been taught by his father because of what Abraham put him through as a child and on his journey he seen the ladder extending to heaven and when he awoke he said that God must be in this place and build an alter to him and offered a sacrifice. I believe because of their upbringing that Issac was the most spiritual. I see no spirituality in Esau he was the one who gave up his birthright when God had made it a gift from Him. God planned for the first born to be the spiritual leader of the family and Esau gave it up for a bowl or soup.

I do not feel that Rebekah was a spiritual woman. God told her that Jacob would be over Esau, and she did not have enough faith to allow God to bring about the future. Rebekah and Jacob felt they had to deceive to get their own way, instead of allowing God to be in control. Isaac had received specific blessings for his children that it appears God gave him. Isaac even asked to be sure he had the right child before he pronounced his blessings. The question in my mind is that God knows all things, and he knew they were going to deceive Isaac so did the boys actually receive their proper blessings? I'm not sure that neither Jacob or Esau show a great deal of spirituality at that time. They did not allow God to do his work.

Was Rebekah a spiritual woman, that is, interested in spiritual things? It appeared that she was. She prayed to God as written in Genesis 25:22 "The babies jostled each other within her, and she said, "Why is this happening to me?" So she went to inquire of the LORD." The Lord responded in verse 23 "The LORD said to her,

"Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger."

Was Isaac a spiritual man? He prayed to God on Rebekah behalf when it appeared that she could not have a baby and therefore it appears that he was a spiritual man.

Which do you think was the more spiritually sensitive? Issac. He knew that he had to go to God on behalf of his wife. Rebekah went to God to find out why the babies were jostling with each other. She could not wait.

What evidence of spirituality do you see in Jacob? In Esau? I can see some evidence of spirituality in Jacob, since he wanted something of his father that would last forever even though he deceived to obtain it. I did not see this in Esau, because he did not care for his future and wanted everything right now.

As Christians, we know that this life is finite as our eternal life with Christ is forever and it is worth to walk with Christ knowing that we have that promise.

I am not sure,I think at one time they both were. But Rebekah took things into her own hands when she say a opportunity. This is kinda like Sarah and Hagar, Rebekah remember what God had told her I think this situation was sad for Esau and Jacob because they probably knew how each parent felt. They did eventually repent of there sin and return to there relationship with each other and with God.

Just the fact that Issac was to continue the seed which leads to Christ,and that God chose Rebekah as well,shows me that they are spiritual.But because of sinful nature flawed as well.Esau and Jacob's light isn't shining to bright at this point.

Yes, Rebekah was a spiritual woman. She prayed to God and believed He would answer her. She also believed His answer, that Jacob would be the leader, even if (like Abraham and Sarah) she tried to help God to make it happen.

Isaac was also a spiritual man. He was brought up by Abraham and Sarah and was used to Godly ways. I always picture him going up the hill with Abraham, knowing that something was to be sacrificed, but even as his father tied him to the alter. he had perfect trust that all was well. He was a praying man and I believe very close to God. Of the two, I think Isaac was more spiritually sensitive than Rebekah.

Esau: I don't see him as spiritual, for he was carnal and put food and pleasure before God.

Jacob: I think his spirituality came later. He wanted the birthright and the blessing of the first born, so he had insight and knew how important both these things were. At this particular time in the scripture though, I think Jacob wanted these things more for himself, just as Esau wanted the soup for himself.

God Bless - love Greta

:wub:

Yes, she was..even though she had worshiped another God, she turned to the true God...She did not wait on God to fulfil His promise regarding Jacob and schemed to do it herself...which shows little faith..How many today try to 'help God out"...When Jacob feared to see Esau and was forgiven when he saw his brother was spiritual and Esau forgiving his brother was spiritual as forgiveness reconcilled them as it reconciles us to God...

Like many of us, Rebekah started out being spiritual. She accepted the God of Israel and she sought God during the pregnancy. However, at the time of the deception involving Isaac and Jacob, she did not place her trust in God to fulfill His promise of "the younger ruling over the older" wherein Jacob would rule over Esau.

I believe Isaac was more spiritual than Rebekah, but they seemed to not be communicating with God during this time of their life. Without communication between husband and wife and God, Rebekah and Isaac took things into their own hands when it came to giving the blessing of the birthright. If they had sought God, He would have instructed them on the birthright.

Jacob had greater spritual understanding than Esau because Jacob understood the significance of the birthright and he probably had been told by Rebekah about the promise God had made to her. Esau scorned spiritual things and was only concerned about being cheated out of his birthright. He didn't care that the birthright was a privilege from God.

Yes, I think Rebekah was a spiritual woman as she did seek God, so she must have had some belief going on. She gave in a lot to her own will in her own ways....but she believed God was there.

Isaac was spiritual and of the two the most spiritual I think. He prayed to God because he knew God could help Rebekah and he did have the upbringing with belief in the one true God, while his wife had not. He seems passive, but not without integrity and love for others.

Esau was called (and remembered) as Godless and though that grieves me, I can't say he seemed to have anything spiritual about him.

Jacob, although cunning and deceitful and willing to go along with deceit had some spirituality to him. At this point though, it seems he's living for himself, but he did at least have an understanding of the importance of the birthright. For the Jews, that had spiritual meaning as well as for earthly inheritance, so I do think he reflected on some of that. We of course have the rest of the story, so we know he develops more spiritual qualities and does ask for spiritual blessings. His life story though shows us how GOD'S plan and purposes are brought forth....even in very imperfect people!

If I think of "being spiritual" as "being concerned with things of the spirit, eternal things", then I'd say

Rebekah wasn't very spiritual. If being barren bothered her so much, why didn't she pray for herself during those 20 years? I think the fact that Isaac prayed for his wife, and God heard Isaac's prayer and blessed Rebekah with twins is more an indication of Isaac's spirituality. Though to her credit, once she realized she was carrying a set of very active twins, she did "inquire of the Lord." Could it be that having God answer Isaac's prayer by giving her her heart's desire awakened a measure of spirituality within her? or perhaps she was very spiritual, but had been praying to the gods of her people instead of the One and Only God of Israel.

As for Jacob and Esau, I'd say Esau was the more spiritually sensitive of the two. The birthright did have value for him--he wept and begged for it later, but he allowed his carnality, his flesh to get in the way of his spirituality---a situation I'm all too familiar with. Jacob, on the other hand, seemed from first to last to be concerned with "what's best for me?" He doesn't appear to want the birthright because of God's blessings but for the power and the wealth that will come with it. He is indeed grasping and greedy, deceptive and duplicitous. At first. Given the fact that Rebekah's their mother, counteracting any influence Isaac would have had, both boys may have been confused about spiritual things. But Jacob even more so because being Rebekah's favorite, he would have spent more time with her.