JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. The School Character Improvement

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confess your sins,one unto another: I have done them all: favoritism and substituting my own judgement for the truth (Isaac),Deception in order to protect loved ones from error (Rebekah), complicity in deception,as well as reveling in the moment of my advantage over another (Jacob),and grasping the momentary,material gain without thought of the consequences,as well as complaining about my poor choice afterward (Esau).Please pray for those of us who are faced with deception as "the lesser of perceived evils", when a loved one with an alcohol or drug problem asks us for money, and we're tempted to lie, and say we're broke,rather than hurt their feelings with the truth, and tell them that they really don't need money for something that's killing them...for me, Rebekah's character defect, is the closest to my heart.

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

I think I can most identify with all of them. From time to time, I tend to exibit a little of the ole "I can do this" line of thinking, and of course, I can't! But, for the most part, I think I'm a little like Issac-I tend to just let things roll. I pray and ask God, and then just wait.

I think God is working on me as far as my belief that He is in control. I have a problem with that sometimes. Kind of like Rebekah. I don't wait on God, and it gets me in trouble. So, that is the issue that God is working on me at this time.

Jacob's. I believe that God has control over life and the blessings bestowed. However, I am surprised at times how God goes about it. I have my own ideas in how to deal with certain things in life. Sometimes things go so far away from what I belive should be happening and there is no way things can turn out right. However, patience and an "attempt" at belief show that God had a better was. My was is definitely not God's ways. Although they may sometime agree, I must struggle at times believing that God's was will bring things to fruition in is own time.

Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

I think that at different time I show fault of all of them and many more. Every day I wake up and have to deal with them every day. I have to deal with larynx cancer, in which I had my larynx removed. But God is with me all the way and he teaches me many things every day through his word and other books about the word of God. ( If any of you can get any books by A.W. Towzer read them they can do a-lot for you in your growth as well as this study here)

I can see a lot of Rebekah and Jacobs flaws in myself. I have been impatient and jumped ahead of God and paid the consequences for my actions. Deceiving myself into believing my choices are right for me without consulting God first, or not waiting for his answers. Like Esau I have had times when I have not properly valued blessings that have been given to me, not because of my actions but because God has blessed me because he wanted too. I have learned a great deal by my mistakes in the past. I try to evaluate and learn from my mistakes. Sometimes I am stubborn and God has to speak to me a little louder, but I do give in to his will even if I do not understand where he is having me go. When adversity comes into my life I have learned to trust God he loves me and he knows the future. What seems like a catastrophe today may show itself to be a blessing tomorrow. These lessons I have learned the hard way. Like I said I can be stubborn. God has always been there for me. Sometimes he is close and sometimes I am distant due to my own negligence but he is there for me always.

Esau's.I Was rebellious, jealousy ran through my veins,and i had hatred towards those who showed favoritism and to whom it was received by.It turned out disastrous for me until 3 and a half years ago when a person witnessed to me and Grace is such a wonderful gift. When my nature changed I changed, and I didn't look at the world the same way.Thank God Glory to His Name!Oh I am far from a finished product,but i believe in His promises, that i am being transformed in His likeness.Praise God!

:unsure:Q6. Extra Credit. Whose character flaws most remind you of your own? Isaac's, Rebekah's, Esau's, or Jacob's? Why? How is God working to improve your character?

I see my character flaws as mostly Jacob;s, as deceptiveness has been something I have been fighting for most of my life especially since

pre teen and teen years. God has given me many a lesson thru people I have met or heard talking, He has spoken to me in the scripture studies

I have done. He has given me a pastor who is open to listening and talking and has been there for me when I have been in need of counsel.

He is also a pastor grounded in the word. A linguist from a missionery bible school. He can explain as you do the meaning of important

words in the scripture studies we do on monday night. And answers my emails when I get confused,or just have questions. There are no dumb

questions to him especially about God and scripture. And God has put me in very scarry places when I have sinned in the area of deception and

I know the phrase be sure your sin will find you out is true. Only I have a couple of times ruined my testamony. I keep having to go round

the mountain again I don't learn easily. :rolleyes::unsure:

Unfortunately, there's a little bit of each of these people's flaws in me at times! I think perhaps Jacob would be closest. I love God and desire His plan and will in my life, but have had to learn (the hard way) not to jump out ahead of Him in trying to make things happen. I don't think I treat people deceptively like Jacob did with Isaac and Esau. I certainly can't recall a time when I went to such elaborate lengths to take something that wasn't mine like Jacob did. But the fundamental nature of wanting things my way has to be dealt with sometimes. God has let me embarrass myself a few times, but I've learned to try and value people and their rights/needs more.

Oooo tough one to answer but not so tough to recognize. I would be more like Esau and Rebekah. I was and still am at times, impulsive and impatient. I want it now and I don't want to wait. I will worry about the consequences later. I am strong willed like Rebekah and work hard. I work very hard to make what I am working on successful. That is my flesh side. My weaker side. But God has my strong side.

Through my walk with Christ I have grown tremendously. My prayer every day is to seek God first and I DO pray for patience. I know it is said that we are not to pray for patience but, surprise, I can't find that rule anywhere in the Bible. In fact, my Bible says to come to God for everything! And patience is one of the fruits of the Spirit. So I am to pray for the other fruits but not this one? Yes, God gives me plenty of opportunities to practice patience but you know what? In asking for His help and guidance, and TRUSTING in Him, those practice times are becoming easier and easier and I am growing in Him.

of the four characters mentioned, I can most closely relate to Esau. For far too many years I spurned my birthright. I didn't grasp the full value of my inheritance. I didn't treat my body like the holy temple of the Spirit. I didn't guard my thoughts, my words. My actions were totally self-centered, and I lived to please me. Instant gratification was my thing. I had no patience for any sort of delay. I often said: "I want what I want, and I want it NOW." And if I could not for some reason get what I wanted right then and there, then I didn't want it at all!

Thank God for His transforming grace. I am not what I used to be. I, like Jacob, have wrestled with God, and God won. Because of Jesus, I can now say I am a new creation. The old has gone. Behold. The new has come. I am not yet perfect but my Esau days are in the past.

Do we get a point for each flaw? :unsure::)

I think I have had and fight, to overcome traits from all of them at different times!

Rebekah and taking things into my own hands because I doubted God was REALLY doing what He promised.

Jacob because I have gone along with what was good for "me" and without integrity. I didn't stand up for what was right.

Isaac because I'm gullible sometimes and then Esau because I have not appreciated all God has given me.

But....thanks be to our Lord Jesus Christ there is hope for us all and I pray for an ever changing heart so I can love Him more and more and reflect His character in my life! I have yet to attain the goal....but I'm running! :D

I would have to say I am most like Isaac. I tend to stay in the background, but I don't have blindness or infirmity as an excuse! When I finally decide to speak out, it sometimes comes out too rough. God is working with me to learn to speak out choosing my words, and to clear up misunderstandings before they escalate.

Honestly, though, I have elements of all 4 characters in my make-up. (I was once asked to recite the 7 deadly sins and the moderator said, "She knew them all!" I replied, "That's because I HAVE them all!" God's not done with me yet.

I think if any of them, it would be Isaac. I tend to do things on my own rather than waiting for God's direction. If Issac had asked God and listened to Him, He would have blessed Jacob rather than Esau, but he did not. I am trying to listen more and obey God's instruction.

Not real sure, but I have the tendency to try to manage things myself. Like Matthew 6:33 says seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be added. So I only have one thing to do ( seek God) and he will take care of everything else. He is revealing himself to me more and more, as I learn of Him in the word, I take on my Fathers attributes.

While I identify with parts of all four people, I am afraid it is Esau whose character flaws most resemble my own, but I don't want to stay that way.

At the moment I seem to have a lot of stress in my life and I am turning to food, time after time. I haven't actually sold my birthright for a bowl of soup, but I realise that if I am not careful, food could become an 'idol' which could come between God and me. Like Esau, I have made some wrong choises, which I have regretted later and wanted to change. I am so thankful that Jesus forgives our sin and restores us, giving us a fresh start.

Since realising what is happening, the Lord is showing me to turn to Him more and more, and He is getting me to come to Him first before making choises.

Love from Greta

:wub:

I feel that I have some of each. I like Isaac have use deceit to get things that I thought I just had to have. I was at time jealous like Esau and I sometime showed favoritism to one of my children usually the youngest. I can only say for why that maybe it was because of the way I was brought up from a child myself. God is showing me that time heals all wounds and that with His help I can over come some of the things that I have done and try to show my own children that with God's help they can find a better way.

The character flaws that is applicable to me and I think to many Christians is the tendency to go for benefits of the moment at the expense of bigger rewards of the future. Indulging in any sin is an example of that. God promises us future glorious rewards and crowns for righteouness, service and obedience but we tend to get entangled with one sin or the other in oder to satisfy our lustful flesh at moment.

My prayer is that I will know Christ more and more and to become more like Him in all my ways- will, desires, actions etc.

Q6 Each one has a character of its own and at times I can find a bit of each character. To me I feel I am more identified with Jacob's flaw more in the sense that

I am very much attached to my mother and my aim in life is very high achieving my goals

by my own self.

I was converted in 1967 but only came to be born again in 1981. From then on there is

no turning back. In order to grow in the Lord I have surrendered myself totally to God, to allow Him to take control of my whole life. Like St. Paul's letter to the Galatians 2:20 said: "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live but Christ lives in me and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me, and delivered Himself for me."

In order to allow God to improve my character, I attended seminars, retreats and formation sessions yearly. For these are tools and food for my soul. Through silent

meditation during my prayer time I allow God to speak to me which has changed my concept of life. By walking in His footsteps and doing God's work have also helped me grow in my relationship with God and people and live the cross. (Vertically - relationship with God and Horizontally - relationship with people).

I would say Isaac's. However, there were times that I did things that were deceitful, so, even as a Christian we must guard our hearts against deceitful ways. The enemy is subtle, it starts with a small seed sown and delusion and deceit sets itself in our hearts. My daily prayer is that God mold and shape me according to His purpose and will. Lord your will be done and not mine. We need to remind ourselves about humility, integrity and the whole Word of God.

"Submit yourself to God, resist the devil and he will flee." (James 4:7 KJV). We must do our part to live holy and God will surely do His part. :rolleyes:

Cynthia :rolleyes:

Am not sure whose character I can compare with mine, but most of the time I have not been faithful to my God.

It is my prayer that God will help me to overcome the areas of my weakness.