JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Fleeing from Laban

• 2 months later...

Jacob left with his family without telling Laban because Laban would never have let them go, certainly not with a joyous celebration to send them off. This father-in-law was every bit the deceiver that Jacob had been -- and then some! After two decades of dealing with Laban, Jacob knew him to be untrustworthy and dishonest. The LORD had directed him to return home with the family and wealth that HE had given Jacob. It was His timing for Jacob to get out of there.

In dealing with a chronic liar/cheat, you simply can't be totally open and disclose everything. I think the only sense of "deception" toward Laban was that Jacob did not tell him what they were going to do and he deliberately waited until Laban was away to leave. But this was required in order to escape the unjust (and unlawful) enslavement they were in. Jacob had fulfilled every vow and requirement of Laban and was stealing nothing. Laban seems to essentially have been a manipulator who took advantage of Jacob and cared very little for his own daughters or their inheritance rights. He had gained enormous benefit from Jacob's blessings over all those years and the only thing he was upset about was the thought of losing his "goose that laid the golden eggs".

Q3. (Genesis 31:17-36) Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban? In what sense did they deceive Laban? (31:20, 27). Was anything they did unjust or unrighteous? If so, how?

Laban could not be trusted. Jacob knew this from living with him for 14 years. His wives also knew this. Laban thought they were going out to shear the sheep and that they would be back. Jacob and his wives used that time to flee so they could escape without threat. God told Jacob to leave. He was following what God told him. Jacob fulfilled his commitment to Laban. He had every right to leave.

Rachel should not have taken the idols from her father. God had already shown her his power over and over when the lambs were born each time Laban changed the rules. Taking what did not belong to her was not just.

Laban was a deceiver also and I think Jacob thought he would not let him leave with

his daughters and grandchildren and what he work for so many years.

They deceived Laban by taking something that was his. Yes it was an idol. It also

signified who would get the greatest part of his inheritance.wrong to have idols yes

but it is wrong to take something that does not belong to you no matter what the case may be.

Unjust and unrighteous yes by stealing and even though Laban would not have sent them

off in the way he said they should have address the situation the way they did when Laban caught up with them.You never win with being deceitful and turning to God

They left because they did not want a confrontation with Laban. They knew he was getting angry at the way things were going.

They deceived him by leaving without his knowing.

The unjust thing was that Rachel stole the family gods & also lied to cover up. The wrong was on her, not Jacob. He didn't know.;

Q3. (Genesis 31:17-36) Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban? In what sense did they "deceive" Laban? (31:20, 27). Was anything they did unjust or unrighteous? If so, how?

They left without saying goodbye because Laban could not have allowed them to leave, it is through Jacob that Laban was getting rich and he could have not just left him to go.

Am not sure in what sence they deceived Laban.

What Jabob did was just since God told him that He was going to bless him and it was time for him to go to God

Q3. (Genesis 31:17-36) Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban? In what sense did they "deceive" Laban? (31:20, 27). Was anything they did unjust or unrighteous? If so, how?

Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban? In what sense did they "deceive" Laban? . Jacob knew he had to leave because God commanded him which was in Genesis 31:13, "I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land.

Thanks,y'all ! Deception ? by omission ?: as in,not revelaing the complete truth to Laban as he understood it,at the point he knew (after God told him to return to the land of his fathers).Could he have simply told Laban: "The Lord appeard to me in a dream an commanded me to take my wives,children,and livestock and go to the land of my fathers." ? : ABSOLUTELY !,but then, we wouldn't have this part of the story, to discuss. All unrighteousness is sin,and all fall short of the Glory of God,but Our Lord,alone,can judge the content of a man's heart.Jesus said of Nathaniel,"Here is a true Israelite,one who has no guile." Certainly,the Lord knew Jacob's heart,but the complete Truth of Jacob's intentions has not yet been revealed to me...I find no deception in anyone but Rachel,who has gone beyond deception to demonstrate her unstable and worldly concerns of the moment,placing all her extended immediate family in harms way for the sake of what appears to be a "backup plan" to assure a claim to her father's household (the household "gods"),should their excursion encounter difficulties.This is not only deception,theft,idolatry,and an extreme lack of concern for the welfare of others,but is,even more, a true lack of faith.

Jacob and his family left without saying good-bye to Laban because they thought they would be prevented from going otherwise.

They deceived Laban by leaving without a word, and Laban was father and grandfather to the family.

Unjust? Rachael stealing the household Gods was wrong - unjust.

They were unrighteous in that they were not truthful in their actions, BUT, they were righteous in that they were obeying God.

Love from Greta

:wub:

Q3. (Genesis 31:17-36) Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban?

They knew that Laban would in no way sanction their leaving. He had to much to lose.

In what sense did they "deceive" Laban? (31:20, 27).

They left behind his back at a time when he was busy with business.

Was anything they did unjust or unrighteous? If so, how?

This could probably be argued from each point of view, yes or no. But one must remember they were doing what God had told Jacob: "I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land." (31:13)

Q3. (Genesis 31:17-36)

Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban?

God told them to leave and knowing what Laban

Jacob and his family left without telling Laban because they knew from experience that he would not let them go with all their wealth.

I personally do not think that this was deceipt since telling Laban could have resulted in not leaving with some of their wealth.

On the otherhand, since God has promised to prosper Jacob and had really done so by multiplying his flock despite Laban's eveil schemes, He (God) could have prevented Laban from doing any thing that would have thwarted His plans for Jacob. In this case, I now feel that Jacob should have trusted God to deliver him and thus he should have told Laban about his plan for leaving.

Based on my later argument, Jacob's plan was unrighteous because he did not trust God's ability to protect him from Laban's evil greed and selfishness.

Q3

Jacob and his family left because God has commanded him to return to Canaan. Knowing

Laban's character and his controlling attitude, they had to leave without saying good-bye.

Jacob was accused of this deceit, in not informing Laban of their leaving and running away and carrying off his daughters like captives in war.

Yes, Rachel stole her father's household gods. From her roots, she is made to believe

that possession of these gods constituted title to the chief inheritance portion and headship of the family. They are also to protect her journey to Canaan. Hence Laban's

position is threatened without these gods.

For us Christians, to still linger on to these gods is the greatest sin against the first

commandment.

Q3. (Genesis 31:17-36) Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban?

Jacob tricked Laban by not telling him they were leaving because, he knew Laban would not let him leave with his family and the things he worked hard for as in their agreements, Laban a man of unrighteousness, a deceitful, unreliable, double-dealing man, who's countenance had changed towards Jacob, a man who had deceived Jacob over and over again, Jacob was not going to allow him to do it again, Jacobs allegiance was to obey God. God said for him to leave, and that is what he did.

No for Jacob! But, yes for Rachel!

There was nothing unrighteous about Jacob leaving without telling Laban, without giving Laban a chance to stop what God had told Jacob to do. Jacob had explained to his wife, not only had her fathers countenance change towards him, but that of her brothers also, and he explained to her what God had instructed him to do, God told Jacob to get out of there and that He would protect them, and that is what Jacob did.

Rachel I believe was taking what she believed was hers to take, but, smuggling it, and not telling Jacob of what she was doing, showed she deceived not only her father but also her husband, the result of that sin, she had to lie to her father and to Jacob, putting the family in great danger, it was an act of unrighteousness.

Laban's sons were growing angry about Jacob's accumulated wealth, and told Laban he and they would be impoverished. There was increasing tension with Laban. Jacob left secretly out of a motive of fear of being stopped and stripped of his family and possessions, by Laban's men.

The Scripture says that they deceived Laban by not telling him they were leaving, and left without saying goodbye

It has been said that "when we react in fear, the only possible outcome is sin". Jacob knew what kind of man Laban was, and in the fear, he forgot that God had promised to be with him and to return him safely to his promised land.

He did what I've done on occasion....a knee jerk reaction to the times as a child when I had no protector, was terrified, and did not yet know the Lord, I "disconnect" from God and react in fear/survival mode, forgetting His promise to never leave me nor forsake me.

Rachel stole her father's household gods, then lied to cover up the theft. She didn't tell Jacob she'd stolen them, putting their lives in jeopardy (Jacob said anyone found with the gods would be killed). While Jacob was obeying God in leaving, he failed to trust God to protect them if he'd left openly.

Q3. (Genesis 31:17-36)

Why did Jacob and his family leave without saying good-bye to Laban?

The Lord speaks directly to Jacob to return:

"Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you." (31:3)

20 Moreover, Jacob deceived Laban the Aramean by not telling him he was running away.

"Rachel stole her father's household gods" .

"[Laban asked]

Jacob and his family left without saying goodbye to Laban out of fear. And, with the daughters, they are angry with their father (vs.14-16)so they desired to go. In verse 31, Jacob admits to Laban after his question of "Why did you run off secretly and deceive me?" by replying, "I was afraid because I thought you would take your daughters away from me by force." Jacob has enough past experience with Laban to know he's not getting away easily by being honest or fulfilling any conditions set by Laban as they always change one way or another. He's learned that from day one! So, Jacob again, enters into his own deception by running away deliberately at the time Laban will be away shearing his sheep. He doesn't allow Laban to say goodbye or even have a chance to do things right, so he robbed him of that, though chances were slim in that with all all other events considered....but.... Laban should have been given the chance. Seems Jacob is pretty honest though in only taking what was really his. His family, his accumulated wealth from God....but then Rachel decides to take Laban's household gods along too! That's her deception.

I believe it was unjust for Jacob to leave in the way he did. I think he could have trusted God for a better outcome or at least faced his father-in-law honestly about going in an expression of more strength of character. He knew he could go. God had told him to go....but there is still the matter of integrity in it. Rachel was unrighteous in it by stealing from her father and trusting in foreign gods herself and then lying about it all in the end. Her father had of course stolen from her over the years too....but she had the choice to meet wrong with a right and she didn't. In this world, we try to justify wrongs, but we should not answer a wrong with another wrong....but constructively deal with the issue and if there is no agreement, then we just still have to act with truth and integrity. That's what Jesus taught too and it really is a better way. Though very difficult! But with God's help after suffering for awhile...we will see good come out if it.

Jacob and his family left without saying good-bye to Laban because Laban would have never let them go. He saw how blessed he had become because of Jacob's presence.

They deceived Laban in that they left when he went to shear his sheep and he was expecting them to be there when he returned.

Really the only thing that they did was leave. I think that they really had no choice in leaving the way that they did because Laban was an unjust man.

Rachel was the one who did something unjust in that she stole her father's gods.