JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Angel Army - Mahanaim

• 2 months later...

God revealed the His angels to Jacob as proof and assurance that He was keeping His Word. The covenant with Abraham now rested on Jacob, and God was going to be faithful to guard all He had spoken. He would protect Jacob through any threat to the divine promises of descendants, a specific land in which to dwell, and the Messiah who would redeem the world. Wow, I can barely imagine what it must have been like to encounter this angelic army sent to defend God's plan. Surely he was strengthened as he remembered God's words at Beth-el, I am with you…I will keep you wherever you go…I will bring you back to this land…I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. I need to remain aware that His angel hosts are also guarding God's same promises to me, even though I cannot see their encampment and presence!

I think Jacob named the place "two camps" because he saw that the camp of his household was under the guard and protection of God's camp. The responsibilities he bore could never be fulfilled through any power or ability of a human camp, but only through those of Yahweh.

Q1. (Genesis 32:1-2) Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob? What is the significance of the presence of this army? Why do you think he calls the place Mahanaim ("two camps")?

It is because Jacob was afraid of his brother Esau and God was giving him comfort and assurance that He will protect him from danger.

The significance of the presence of this army is that God was with Jacob Has He had promised earlier.

He called the place Mahanaim either because the angels divided themselves into two companies, and placed themselves some before, others behind him, or some on each side of him, for his greater comfort and security; or because the angels made one host, and his family another.

Q1. (Genesis 32:1-2) Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob? What is the significance of the presence of this army? Why do you think he calls the place Mahanaim (

Q1. (Genesis 32:1-2) Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob?

Jacob must have been terrified of running into an ambush from Esau, since he'd heard nothing in all those years to dispel Esau's threat to kill him. I believe God was reassuring Jacob that "I am with you as you return to the promised land, fulfilling My promise to be with you wherever you go."

What is the significance of the presence of this army?

I believe it gave Jacob confidence to send word to Esau that he was returning, and wanted peace between them. The angelic army was with him to establish his/his family's safe return.

Why do you think he calls the place Mahanaim ("two camps")?

Jacob and his family, servants , flocks, and herds were one camp. The angelic host was there in protective mode as a separate camp.

Q1. (Genesis 32:1-2) Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob? To let Jacob know that Hashem has not forgotten him. Jacob and his family are under devine protection.

What is the significance of the presence of this army? The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

God revealed His army to Jacob to reassure him and to show His promises are true & that you can count on them.

The significance of this army was to show the lengths to which the Lord saves those He has plans for--God was with them.

Two camps--the household of Jacob & the camp of the armies of God.

Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob? It was assuring the Jacob that the promise given earlier is still valid.

What is the significance of the presence of this army? That Jacob is not alone, he can take into account that God is with him and is supporting him.

Why do you think he calls the place Mahanaim (

Q1 God reveals the angel army to Jacob to assure him of His promise that He will watch

and protect him wherever he goes.

The significance of the presence of this army is to overshadow Jacob, protecting him

from any harm.

Jacob calls the place Mahanaim ('two camps") because God's camp is ever ready to

protect Jacob's camp whenever he is in trouble.

God reveals the angel army to him because God had promised in Bethel to watch over him wherever he went.

It is a visible sign to Jacob that God was with him.

Perhaps because Jacob has his camp there and now God has his angels camped there.

1. To let Jacob know he is protected by the promise he had given him. God always delivers when He mnakes promises He keeps them.

Maybe to assure Jacob that he will be protected.Maybe Jacob was doubtful and God assured him with the angels.

3. Jacob thought that if one part of the group was destroyed the other could carry on.

I think the prayer Jacob prayed was to let the Lord know that his family was more

vaulable to him than any material possession.

Q1. (Genesis 32:1-2) Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob? To let Jacob know that Hashem has not forgotten him. Jacob and his family are under devine protection.

What is the significance of the presence of this army? The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.

Q1. (Genesis 32:1-2)

Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob?

Jacob has just finished with Laban, but now faces his brother, Esau, who had earlier threatened to kill him; this is, however, a more serious issue and Jacob needs reassurance. God provides this, assuring Jacob of God

God reveals the angel army to Jacob, because Jacob is nervous and fearful of Esau as he returns to his homeland. He knows he may be coming into harm. God reassures Jacob of His presence with him, by showing him the angel army he has sent for Jacob's protection. The significance of the presence of this army is to let Jacob know, that the covenant with him, is still very real and God's provision of protection over him is very real. He is not going alone with his camp, he also has the camp of the Lord around him. Jacob, in turn, calls the place Mahanaim, meaning "two camps" because he now has two camps. One of his own and one of God's. I think he honored God with that name and acknowledged the Lord's presence with him. That is often forgotten and is of great merit.

Even though Jacob did leave Laban in peace, there was great danger ahead for him, seen in the hatred of Esau, hatred comes from Satan; God in His mercy reminded Jacob of the blessings he was given, that He was with him on his journey in the foreign land, Gen 28:15 Wherever you go, I will watch over you, then later I will bring you back to this land. I won't leave you--I will do all I have promised.

The significance to me is, there are battles to be fought ahead of us, as it was for Jacob, it was important that Jacob understood clearly - God has a mighty army, that Jacob

God sent the Angels so that Jacob could be reassured that God is with him. When Jacob sees the angels he recognizes that this is the camp of God. He kknew that God had promised that He would watch over him wherever he went and he knew that God had not forgotten.

Jacob called the place Mahanaim (two camps) because of his small encampment of wives and children, servants and livestock is matched by God's nearby encampment of an army of angels.

Q1. (Genesis 32:1-2) Why does God reveal the angel army to Jacob? What is the significance of the presence of this army? Why do you think he calls the place Mahanaim ("two camps")?

Genesis 32:1-2:Jacob also went on his way, and the angels of God met him. When Jacob saw them, he said,

God revealed the angels army to Jacob to ensure him of his presence so as to calm the frightened Jacob. The army of angels were in a camp. Jacob recognised his camp plus that of the angels army thus the reason why he called the place 'two camps' - Mahanain.