JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Wrestling with God

• 2 months later...

The "man" Jacob wrestled with was God Himself. Wrestling can be a contest to determine who has superior power and skill. But it can also be an exercise designed more for testing and motivating one who is less mature in strength and ability. I think this explanation from the lesson makes the most sense. Jacob's determination and persistence were being tried and developed during this encounter. This was definitely a spiritual experience delivered through a very physical bout. Jacob proved himself so persistent that the "man" wounded his hip in order to end the struggle.

When considering Genesis 32:22-32 before, I had never really put it in the context of verses 1-21. Immediately preceded by Jacob's prayer, this unusual wrestling match may have been God's way of forcing Jacob to fully deal with those inner fears about meeting Esau, about completely releasing himself to trust the LORD's faithfulness, about settling the question once and for all about what he truly believed. Very often the intensity and influence of what we believe is radically transformed in a pivotal time of testing or trial. For Jacob, perhaps this was a moment of personal encounter where everything he believed solidified and became the bedrock of who he was. It was after the conflict that he was given the new name of Israel and was blessed by the "man". Something profound happened during that long night of struggle.

I think the limp became the physical mark that reminded Jacob/Israel of God's grace for the rest of his life. He had been allowed an honest, intense face-to-face confrontation with Yahweh, but his life had been spared. What an honor and encouragement to share such a distinction with Moses! Even though that hip injury may have remained painful all his life, it was probably very precious.

Precious pain: God's name added to one's own; a struggle, both in this world and beyond; physical,and spiritual triumph,and a battle scar,or trophy;a moment that took all night plus a moment more,and yet the "test" was not more than Jacob's faith could overcome.Prayer,asking for greater revelation of the meaning of this scripture, could possibly amount to asking for a similar understanding of our own experience, through which God may reveal this manifestation.Limping away,overcome with gratitude,Israel may have thought something like this: Thank you Lord for appearing to me as something I could struggle with, and live;...maybe some time, you'll tell me your name...

The man Jacob wrestles with is God himself. The wrestling was a power struggle--Jacob still had plenty of ***** and was determined that God bless him. I believe it was both physical & spiritual. He wouldn't have come away with a limp if God hadn't touched him on his thigh. The wound was a reminder to Jacob that God had touched him, that he received the blessing and a new name. I think, too, it secured his humbleness.

Q3. (Genesis 32:24-30) Who was the "man" Jacob wrestled with? What does the wrestling represent? Was it spiritual or physical? Why does the "man" wound Jacob permanently? What do you think the limp means to him?

Jacob wrestled with God because he said himself that I saw God face to face, and my life was spared. . ." (Genesis 32.

Wrestling represents prayer.

It was both Spiritual and Physical.

The man wounded Jacob permanently so that he will reminder the rest of his life that he met God.

The limp mend that God crippled Jacob and broke him of his being a supplanter, deceiver, and attacker from the rear. Every time Jacob limped, it was a constant reminder that God won at last.

Q3. (Genesis 32:24-30) Who was the "man" Jacob wrestled with? The visible of the invisible, a materialization of Yahowah God, for Jacobs eyes only.

What does the wrestling represent? I agree with Commissioned statement: “The wrestling represented the struggle he had within and Yahowah God's way of having him overcome his fears.” This statement also by the way helps me understand the conflict that goes on inside of each of us between the inner man and the spirit that lives with-in us. It also help me to understand why sometimes when we are being disciplined or pruned, why it seems to hurt, but we are better for the pain. I get the fears part really well. He was going to meet up with his brother the next day and had learned his lesson of how he had cheated Esau out of his rights as first born and I think the gifts were not only to ‘pacify’ Esau but also a sort of “I am sorry” offering, asking for forgiveness.

Was it spiritual or physical? I think it was both. I think like Commissioned pointed out that Jacob had some inner fears going on and yet needed to be physically weakened so that he would always remember to rely on Hashem’s strength and not his own. It also reminds me too that we are a peculiar people and we do not ever walk the same way again after we have our own encounter with Hashem. When we really have that once in for all meeting, like Jacob must have had that night, that says, “I surrender my all to You Father“. It is from this point on that we begin to be changed from the inside out. Paul too, had a life changing alteration in his physical being when he encountered Yahushua for the first time on the road to Damascus.

Why does the "man" wound Jacob permanently? I think that it may have been a reminder to Jacob that he could always lean on Hashem from this point because Hashem had brought him to this point in his life where he could learn to overcome all of his fears through prayer. Course, now we have a scripture to bring this to life that says, “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.” Proverbs 3:5 Jacob would always from that point on remember that he had struggled with Yahowah God and Yahowah God had dislocated his joint in order to get his attention to stop fighting against Him.

What do you think the limp means to him? I think it is symbolic of the new man that he is that will live up to the new name that he has been given. A new creature, who would have a reminder of his struggle with Yahowah God and had survived the fight and was better for it. Wow, isn't that just so cool that even though we all struggle against God as He is calling us, He wins and we are better for it.

The man who Jacob wrestled with was a manifestation of God Himself.The wrestling represents a struggle. Jacob began struggling from the womb in that he grabbed his brother Esau's heel.

The wrestling was symbolic of his encounter and humbling before God. It was also a physical remnant of the stuggle too.

Jacob is left with a permanant limp for a remembrance of an encouter with God. A mark reminded him about the seriousness with which he served his God, a mark of faith which he carried to his grave.

Q3. (Genesis 32:24-30) Who was the "man" Jacob wrestled with?

God...the preincarnate Christ, I believe. Similar to the Theophany, or the Godhead (the three) who appeared to Abraham when he pled for the righteous in Sodom to be spared.

What does the wrestling represent?

I think it represents the surrender of Jacob's will to the Lordship of God in his life. I've had those wrestlings with God spiritually when He was leading me to a deeper walk with Him, but they are exhausting and feel almost like a physical "death" as I turn more of my will over to Him. It's a settling of Who is in charge, but always ends in blessing and reward from Him.

Was it spiritual or physical?

It seems to have been both, since Jacob's hip was out of joint for the rest of his life.

Why does the "man" wound Jacob permanently?

I believe the wound or limp was to remind Jacob that he was no longer "Jacob the supplanter", but Jacob, "contender with God who has power with God and with men and have prevailed." v.28 He was so changed by the encounter that he named the place Peniel (The Face of God), saying, For I have seen God face to face, and my life is spared and not snatched away. v.30 The New Testament equivalent I see is when Peter had denied three times that he knew Jesus. After Jesus was resurrected He sent word with the women to go tell my disciples, AND PETER. God's grace and mercy to a former sinner which transforms the life into a powerful man who can now be greatly used by God.

What do you think the limp means to him?

I think it signifies many things....that the relationship with God has become intimate and very personal. That God is not "out there in the cosmos" but is tangible though rarely visible in His person, and that God is Sovereign over Jacob's life and destiny signified by a new name which now defines him. He has been marked by God's touch, not only on his hip, but his spiritual and emotional life as well. I see it as a physical gift from God...a blessing, which Jacob could never forget, of having been held tightly in God's loving arms. Also, as Jacob was to rise as the father of the 12 tribes of Israel, the limp would keep him in a place of humility, lest he become puffed up with the position of power.

Q3. (Genesis 32:24-30)

huh.gif

Who was the "man" Jacob wrestled with? The "man" is a manifestation of God himself. Hosea calls him both an "angel" and God. The text itself which clearly identifies the Wrestler as none other than God (32:28, 30).

What does the wrestling represent? Jacob is struggling with his conscience.

Was it spiritual or physical? This event is both physical and symbolic!

Why does the "man" wound Jacob permanently? This mark of faith will be with him unto his grave.

What do you think the limp means to him? Jacob's limp isn't so much a mark of discipline, but a remembrance of encounter -- a mark which reminded him ever after of the seriousness with which he served his God, a mark of faith which he carried to his grave.

Q3. (Genesis 32:24-30) Who was the “man” Jacob wrestled with? What does the wrestling represent? Was it spiritual or physical? Why does the “man” wound Jacob permanently? What do you think the limp means to him?

It was God. Maybe the flesh and the spirit are always doing battle as long as we have life on this earth. I believe it was both spiritual and physical. I think it is kind of like a battle scar, a badge of honor, that you indured the conflict and held on the the end. Maybe saying you did not give up. You persevered to the end. It was a reminder that he carried in his body of the battle with the Lord, and that God is the author and finisher of our lives.

The man Jacob wrestled with was God Himself. Jacob names the place Peniel meaning, face of God. In vs. 30 he says, "It is because I saw God face to face." and even his new name Israel means, "he struggles with God."

I think the wrestling represents Jacob's character as well as God's. It is symbolic of prayer too. Jacob needed help. He needed a blessing and he knew who he needed it from. He had been praying about it, but the moment had come when his confrontation with Esau was just over the border, across the Jabbok. Jacob's character was to NEVER sit around and do nothing about anything and yet, he knew at this point who he needed to depend on. I think the wrestling with God was his determination that God needed to know that He HAD to help him. I know I wrestle with God when I get frustrated or fearful and I remember Jacob and that he did receive his blessing. I know I can't force God into anything, but I do usually receive a blessing and the wrestling is helpful to release that "wanting to do something myself" and into becoming reliant on God in it. It helps in overcoming pride I have in anything. I am determined to pray it through, yet know in and of myself I can't do any of it! Interesting that Jacob is SO humble towards Esau in Chapter 33. God's nature is revealed too. He is patient and merciful with the struggle and the wrestling and it is so strong it lasted all night! And, "the man saw that he could not overpower him." That's a huge struggle! One Jacob was determined to win! We can struggle in prayer like that. With loud cries and physical wrestlings as well as spiritual struggling and determination to not give up. God honors that many times! There is a quietness afterwards too. A knowing God better. An acceptance of who He is and who we depend on. Jacob's struggle was both physical and spiritual. He did wrestle with a real presence and yet his struggle was for a blessing. Verse 26 says the man said, "Let me go for it is daybreak." But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go until you bless me."

Actually, the man wounded Jacob because he couldn't overcome him! Verse 25 says, "When the man saw that he could not overcome him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so the hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man." Then the man asks him to let him go! I wonder if this is symbolic of the physical wrestling and the spiritual wrestling. Jacob was very strong in the flesh side of struggling for what he wanted. He was a great manipulator and opponent, but with one spritual, supernatural touch, the struggle quickly comes to an end. The man later says, "Your name will no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, because you have struggled with God and man and have overcome." Then he blesses him. This is the real turning point for Jacob where he is changed. He acknowledges the mercy, power and presence of God. "I saw God face to face....and yet my life was spared."

The limp apparently was symbolic of something sacred as the Israelites placed much emphasis on never eating any tendon attached to the socket of the

hip from then on specifically because of this incident. Maybe it was the separation of the joint that symbolized the revelation that Jacob had of God's holiness and being set apart. Perhaps that was a reminder forever for him in humbleness, of God's holiness and the day he wrestled with a holy God and lived! Perhaps he grew in respect of God that night and the fear of God became the beginning of his wisdom.

Q3. (Genesis 32:24-30) Who was the "man" Jacob wrestled with?

God

What does the wrestling represent?

Jacobs struggle with God as to his lifes situations

Was it spiritual or physical?

Both

Why does the "man" wound Jacob permanently?

As a reminder of what has transpired in Jacobs life.

What do you think the limp means to him?

It is proof that God could have overcome Jacob anytime He had really so wanted to do it. It is also a reminder that Jacob has been changed by God.

I think it was God Jacob wrestled with God. Jacob wrestling was both physcial and spiritual. I think he did it to be blessed and was very persistent. I think God

encourages that we be persistent in all areas of our lives. The wound means that Jacob

would always have it to remind him that God will always be there with him. The same

with the limp. Jacob will always remember the night he met GOD FACE TO FACE.

The 'man' who wrestled with Jacob all night was God. The encounter was to humble Jacob so that he would learn to do things right and to depend on God rather than trusting his evil schemes. The encounter was both physical and spiritual. The wound inflicted by the 'man' that resulted in Jacob limping was to be a mark that would always remind him of the encounter and the faithful relation with the Mighty God, the protector, provider and promise fulfiller.

Q3 Jacob is wrestling with a manifestation of God himself.

The wrestling represents the struggle with his own conscience and God is setting him

free of his fears.

It was both physical and symbolic.

The "man" wounded Jacob permanently to remind him of the encounter and humbling

before God. God also bestows on him a new name "Israel" to remind all that he

has "struggled with God and with men and have overcome."

To Jacob, the limp isn't so much a mark of discipline, but a remembrance of

encounter - a mark which reminded him ever after the seriousness with which he

served his God, a mark of faith which he carried to his grave.